Rd 2, P48: Jaquan Brisker, SAF - Penn State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bearfacts
MVP

Another very good value pick but also one that was much different than expected. At least we've helped a greatly depleted secondary.
Xee
Site Admin

Dude looks ecstatic:

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Solid build and a passel of solo tackles on a loaded Penn State defense. He's like the anti-Eddie Jackson.

I'm good with this.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm sensing a theme... tough, hard-nosed kid that will come up in run support and stick you. Does not shy away from contact and, in my opinion, has enough range and understanding of passing concepts to be effective in pass defense.

Good player, I like what we're doing with our defense.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
karhu
Head Coach

Probably the most complementary top-tier safety in the draft to Jackson, and with Cine one of the best. I like it. And I like that our secondary is set for a couple of years. On to the rest of this trash heap!
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Solid player. Day 1 starter.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

This is the funnest scouting break down video I’ve seen. Whoever did this is super hyped about him and really funny.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Bears got a really good player here
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Scouting reports:
SI.com
Bleacher Report
The Draft Network

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21069

UOK EDIT: no bypassing paywalled content
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I personally liked that Alontea Taylor better due to his ability in pass coverage, but you’d have to agree that he projects as a safety.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Wow! It sounds like we got a day 1 starter in Brisker. Sounds like a thumper for a safety. Comparing him to Harrison Smith is huge praise. Love it.
wab
Mod

Man, I thought Brisker had an outside shot at going in the top 20. This is a great value pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m a recent convert to the “coverage is more important than pass rush” theory of defense. Our secondary is suddenly stacked and really young, gives us something to build around. And with Roquan, we have an elite cover LB as well. Defense should keep us in games while Fields recovers from his weekly concussions.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 am I’m a recent convert to the “coverage is more important than pass rush” theory of defense. Our secondary is suddenly stacked and really young, gives us something to build around. And with Roquan, we have an elite cover LB as well. Defense should keep us in games while Fields recovers from his weekly concussions.
I'm not a true believer of the theory in a finite/absolutest way, but they way Poles has reallocated the balance for the Bears specifically I think has a lot of merit.
IE
Hall of Famer

Youth movement on D, baby! We want waves & waves of young hungry guys making offenses effing miserable. No more fat happy contact-avoiding overpaid primadonna DBs! No more aging probowler DEs phoning it in every other play! HITS, baby!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Bearfacts
MVP

Bears fans should be ecstatic that over two drafts we've virtually re-tooled our starting secondary with young players under rookie deals for four years. Helps offset what we're paying EJax. If all of this and "Flus" defense can't help him get back on track to what we saw in 2018 his days here are numbered.

We should finally have starters playing where starters should be playing and the 2021 starters playing as backups if at all.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

All that wood laying and zero penalties in his college career. I wanted help for Justin as bad as the next guy, but this kid has me excited.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:18 am All that wood laying and zero penalties in his college career. I wanted help for Justin as bad as the next guy, but this kid has me excited.
Really? I did notice how he is a text book tackler. While he hits hard, he doesnt go for the knock out shot he hits with form. Head up every time. No penalties is amazing.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 am I’m a recent convert to the “coverage is more important than pass rush” theory of defense.
As much as I warned about and then hated our secondary last year, I definitely wouldn't go that far.

Pass rush is still the most important thing to have after QB.
But "you can't survive with shit for a secondary" is true and important, too.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Peanut Tillman and Mike Brown were both 2nd rounders too...

Not sayin'. Just sayin'. Wouldn't that be something for the next 10-12 years :D

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Xee
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 am
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:18 am All that wood laying and zero penalties in his college career. I wanted help for Justin as bad as the next guy, but this kid has me excited.
Really? I did notice how he is a text book tackler. While he hits hard, he doesnt go for the knock out shot he hits with form. Head up every time. No penalties is amazing.
I just watched a highlight video and did notice he would lower his should a couple of times rather than wrap up but I will take a couple times over every time. Nothing gets me more excited than textbook tackles.
G08
Hall of Famer

karhu
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:32 am I just watched a highlight video and did notice he would lower his should a couple of times rather than wrap up but I will take a couple times over every time. Nothing gets me more excited than textbook tackles.
Don't forget that he hurt his shoulder in the 2021 opener, and might have nursed it throughout the season. Not a huge deal--he finished the game, and won it with an interception--but it was bad enough to knock him off the field for a while.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

UOK
Site Admin

karhu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:43 am
Xee wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:32 am I just watched a highlight video and did notice he would lower his should a couple of times rather than wrap up but I will take a couple times over every time. Nothing gets me more excited than textbook tackles.
Don't forget that he hurt his shoulder in the 2021 opener, and might have nursed it throughout the season. Not a huge deal--he finished the game, and won it with an interception--but it was bad enough to knock him off the field for a while.
Just ask Anthony Miller how much shoulder injuries can derail a football career. I mean he was already kind of a dumbass, but the shoulder injuries can plague NFLers.
Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:40 am
Guess this will help to answer any questions about why a SAM LB isn't all that important in "Flus" scheme, who can also handle that responsibility on run plays, and why Poles drafted Brisker. He fits every single criteria they want out of a player especially a SS.
UOK
Site Admin

Watched some highlights and stuff. My thoughts.

PROS
  • hits hard and wraps up
  • demonstrates understanding of angles + leverage while shedding blocks/in pursuit
  • has that "it" factor about timing PBUs and breaking on a ball in play
  • goes for the strip instinctually
  • doesn't use his arms/hands recklessly in coverage and in tackling
  • demonstrates getting his head around in pass coverage
CONS
  • has a bad habit of leading with his helmet
  • may be a tad undersized
Should be an instant starter, barring a horrid camp or a major step up from DHC.
karhu
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:13 pm
Just ask Anthony Miller how much shoulder injuries can derail a football career. I mean he was already kind of a dumbass, but the shoulder injuries can plague NFLers.
True enough. We had a whole season, though, to see if it was a chronic issue, and it never seemed to be. Just thought it might have affected his tackling a bit.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:12 pm He's like the anti-Eddie Jackson.

So, if Brisker and Jackson come into contact while both trying to make the tackle, will there be a massive explosion?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.