Bears release Nick Foles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Not sure what the cap ramifications are but I'm sure @The Cooler King or one of the other board cap-hobbyists will be able to provide the lowdown.
UOK
Site Admin

Thanks for the Falcons win, Nick.
wab
Mod

I assumed this would happen but I thought it would be at the final roster cutdown
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

So will he get signed by someone, or just retire?
Richie
MVP

wab wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm I assumed this would happen but I thought it would be at the final roster cutdown
Yeah, I assume we tried to move him during the draft and didn't get an offer worth pulling the trigger on. Then, it ended, and we just said peace out.

In true Nick Foles fashion. His first appearance with us was him engineering an absolutely shocking 4th quarter comeback with him throwing a game winning TD. He then floundered when called upon to be a starter. Returned to the bench. Then, was called upon one more time. Where he, again, led a double digit 4th quarter comeback. Which ended with him throwing a game winning TD/2PC. His final start/game as a Bear.

What a journey for that guy. lol
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm So will he get signed by someone, or just retire?
Pederson is in Jacksonville now. He would make a good mentor for Lawrence and knows the system inside/out. A trip back there for him makes sense.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:57 pm

Not sure what the cap ramifications are but I'm sure @The Cooler King or one of the other board cap-hobbyists will be able to provide the lowdown.
Save $3M.
rtd
Practice Squad

Just in time ti sign another free agent or two.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:37 pm Save $3M.
Finally. Nothing against BDN and wish him the best but glad we are done with another bad deal by Pace.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:53 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm So will he get signed by someone, or just retire?
Pederson is in Jacksonville now. He would make a good mentor for Lawrence and knows the system inside/out. A trip back there for him makes sense.
Yeah, but the guys has made his bank, he almost left the NFL before because he felt he could start and wouldn't get a chance. I think we all can agree that Nick, barring injury, is done starting in the NFL.

I think Kansas city (due to his history with coach Reid and he is better than Henne) or the Raiders (Landry Jones is the backup) might be a better destination for him if he does want to be a backup. I doubt Jacksonville's owner is going to bring him back, regardless of the coach.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm I assumed this would happen but I thought it would be at the final roster cutdown
I figured they'd wait a week or two after the draft to see how other team's QB plans were shaking out at that point.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

I really like Nick. I really like how he sort of conspicuously didn't respect Nagy and was caught on the sidelines (and at other times) pointing out the Emperor was naked, like the proverbial kid.

I loved watching him win his only start last year in Seattle - which was a pretty good feat. I'll always be a fan, even though he was on the other side of the Nagy punting and FG debacle that everyone blames on a couple of doinks.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 am
Richie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:53 pm

Yeah, but the guys has made his bank, he almost left the NFL before because he felt he could start and wouldn't get a chance. I think we all can agree that Nick, barring injury, is done starting in the NFL.

I think Kansas city (due to his history with coach Reid and he is better than Henne) or the Raiders (Landry Jones is the backup) might be a better destination for him if he does want to be a backup. I doubt Jacksonville's owner is going to bring him back, regardless of the coach.
I don't deny that those are also good fits. However, I do not see why Jacksonville wouldn't bring him back. It's not like he did anything wrong there and now the HC is his boy.
spudbear
MVP

Kinda sad to see him go, but hope he gets a better shake somewhere else. The Bears could not give him the pass protection he needed due to his lack of mobility, combined with the idiot Nagus not calling quick slants or short passes to the TE. Foles knew where to put the ball, he would unfortunately run out of time before he could deliver.

I wanted to see him as an "onfield" coach but Nagus would never relinquish the reins. He's been in the league long enough to call a good game, and had the experience with the players to know their strengths and weaknesses. Would have been much better than anything Nagus put up.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:39 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 am

I don't deny that those are also good fits. However, I do not see why Jacksonville wouldn't bring him back. It's not like he did anything wrong there and now the HC is his boy.
Because the owner is a complete tool would be the reason why. And it's kind of hard to bring back the guy that bilked 40+ million from a franchise while being outplayed by the immortal mullet.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:12 am I really like Nick. I really like how he sort of conspicuously didn't respect Nagy and was caught on the sidelines (and at other times) pointing out the Emperor was naked, like the proverbial kid.

I loved watching him win his only start last year in Seattle - which was a pretty good feat. I'll always be a fan, even though he was on the other side of the Nagy punting and FG debacle that everyone blames on a couple of doinks.
I agree. I think Foles taught us something very important. Nagy wasnt good.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 am
IE wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:12 am I really like Nick. I really like how he sort of conspicuously didn't respect Nagy and was caught on the sidelines (and at other times) pointing out the Emperor was naked, like the proverbial kid.

Tough to say this- The whole NFL was given a chance to get him for borderline free - and they passed on Foles
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:23 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 am

Tough to say this- The whole NFL was given a chance to get him for borderline free - and they passed on Foles
Yeah - he's a break glass in case of emergency guy from this point... a starter goes down and maybe the backup gets dinged & and there's a lack of trust/readiness in the guy behind... and Nick's phone will ring. Someone like Matt Ryan goes down, and his phone will ring. But there aren't many cases like that. Nick is close to done.

Oh, to be a multi-multi-millionaire and be gifted physically. And I'm stuck here grinding it out with my Irish heritage. lol
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Really a good will move by Poles to cut him now rather than wait. Doing Foles a solid.