The Cooler King
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:07 am
Tell me he's not "explosive."
He's not explosive.
Fka "BillGeorge61" @CBFans.net
Grizzled
Head Coach

As good as some think he is, are you paying him $12M per year? Perhaps $10M? $6 or $8M isn't getting it done. I like Monty, he's a gamer, he played at my alma mater (go Chase Allen) but he's going to ask for top dollars. If he carries the team, i.e. 1400 yards or so and 600 to 700 yards receiving, maybe.
Yogi da Bear
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:37 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:07 am
Tell me he's not "explosive."
He's not explosive.
Lol I guess I asked for that but:

Yogi da Bear
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:47 am As good as some think he is, are you paying him $12M per year? Perhaps $10M? $6 or $8M isn't getting it done. I like Monty, he's a gamer, he played at my alma mater (go Chase Allen) but he's going to ask for top dollars. If he carries the team, i.e. 1400 yards or so and 600 to 700 yards receiving, maybe.
If he gets 2000 plus total yards, I pay him 10-12 mill. Not much more though. With those numbers, I have no problem giving him a Joe Mixon level contract.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think 8 gets it done, and yea I’d pay him that. If he gets 2K yards it’ll cost more like 10, and if he was that good then I’d pay that also.
Moriarty
Head Coach

Because he's been so durable, I'm willing to guarantee 100% of his next deal.

And on that deal, I am currently willing to go up to a maximum of 1 yr/1.08M
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HurricaneBear
MVP

Running back is the ultimate next man up position in the NFL. If the Bears ever want to change who they are, they need to understand this and move on(among many other things as well). I love watching Monty too. Doesn't mean that it's smart to pay a running back.
IE
Hall of Famer

Seeing that Getsy is from a team where the 6th round back beat out the higher round pick (Jamal Williams) and then got extended for producing at a high level even though they drafted his ostensible replacement... I'm going to guess that Getsy is going to give every back on that depth chart a chance to win the job by earning it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he largely platoons a rotation of 2-4 RBs until the cream rises to the top. I could see Monty getting first opportunity but could also see him losing touches to more explosive players as the season goes on.

I don't see his receiving as being something that keeps the other backs on the bench (they're all at least as good). His blocking for JF1 could weigh more heavily than I've been giving him credit for. But I can't imagine extending a RB for mostly that reason.
"My coaches love my ability to run through the smoke" - Vay Jones
Heinz D.
Practice Squad

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:06 am My bad guys I had no idea - seems such an odd take. Question: why does every other player get the McNagy consideration but not Monty? Also, assuming you watched the games and aren’t just reading stat sheets, how do you account for him getting bum rushed at or behind the LOS so often?
IMO, Nagy had the MOST adverse effect on Montgomery last year--out of all the "skill" guys. (Robinson's issues were predominately his own.)

Also, using career stats to define Montgomery isn't a good gauge, as he looked like a bust (or close to it) until Nagy gave up the playcalling. We'll see what he does next year. I'd be willing to bet he plays well enough to warrant an extension, and cap space won't be an issue come '23.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Bearfacts
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:25 am Looking at Monty's stats from Pro Football Reference the one thing that pops out above all else is the number of 1st down carries and receptions he's gotten. We've seen this in his highlight videos as well. He has an acute awareness of where the sticks are and he fights to get to or over them. Right now we don't have another back who can do that or score on shorter yardage runs like he does.

Does he lack explosiveness? He's rung up some long runs before including an 80 yarder for a score. But again that's not why he was drafted. He was drafted for what I referred to in my first paragraph and I will continue to insist that a team who wants to return to running the ball far more than Nagy did and is willing to build the right kind of OL to do it with can always use a back like Monty.

Whether or not Poles elects to extend him will in all likelihood depend upon the price but IMHO he's a much better back than Howard was and he's a better #1 back than Khalil Herbert.
Assuming Ebner makes the final roster between him and Herbert we'll have two other backs who may give us the kind of explosiveness some believe we need but we also nee and every down tough back who can catch and that's what Monty brings to the table week in and week out. IMHO it would be a mistake to lose him in this offense.
How do you know with such certainty that Juice, Ebner, Blasingame or Evans can't punch the ball in from 3-4 yards? How do you KNOW he's a better RB than Herbert? That's just pure opinion, and completely unsubstantiated. I've seen Nagy have Monty run 2 or even 3 times on the goal line to get in. We've all watched the same games. I know how hard Monty works. But you have no basis for saying what you're saying, other than "Nagy handed him the ball instead of his Rookie 6th rounder". Which, in itself, does NOT justify what you said. Aaron Jones was a late round back. Maybe the difference between the Pack and the Bears is the Pack plays the guys who can deliver the most?

We have to stop taking the 2-3 long runs Monty has ripped off and interpolating that into an implication "he can do that" on a regular basis. It is a fact that he does not do that nearly enough - the long runs are what balance out the short stops to result in a higher ypc. Please show me any stat that shows Monty deserves to be known for making long runs. I'm dying to find something to hang my hat on there... but the more I look the more convinced I am that he is JAG. JAG with heart is still JAG. Just like Joique Bell and Jordan Howard were JAG even though with enough carries and heart they compiled numbers and had a lot of fans.

Which is exactly why my post said IMHO (in my honest opinion). Other things I posted are facts such as his stats and his toughness as a runner whose been counted on to handle short yardage and goal line (inside the five) carries. His rushing TDs and his carries for a 1st down are a testament to that. Much of what I post, much of what we all post is no more than our opinion. I just do my best to back mine up with why I have the opinions I do.

As for long runs there again I wrote that he has posted some long runs. One and 80 yard TD run. I never posted or even implied that he was "know for it" or deserves to be recognized as a threat to score every time he touches that ball. Monty is a very effective workhorse RB who can also catch as receiver. What the others are capable of is hard to say when we have little to go by with a couple of them but I'm not dissing any of them.
IE
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:13 pm
IE wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm

How do you know with such certainty that Juice, Ebner, Blasingame or Evans can't punch the ball in from 3-4 yards? How do you KNOW he's a better RB than Herbert? That's just pure opinion, and completely unsubstantiated. I've seen Nagy have Monty run 2 or even 3 times on the goal line to get in. We've all watched the same games. I know how hard Monty works. But you have no basis for saying what you're saying, other than "Nagy handed him the ball instead of his Rookie 6th rounder". Which, in itself, does NOT justify what you said. Aaron Jones was a late round back. Maybe the difference between the Pack and the Bears is the Pack plays the guys who can deliver the most?

We have to stop taking the 2-3 long runs Monty has ripped off and interpolating that into an implication "he can do that" on a regular basis. It is a fact that he does not do that nearly enough - the long runs are what balance out the short stops to result in a higher ypc. Please show me any stat that shows Monty deserves to be known for making long runs. I'm dying to find something to hang my hat on there... but the more I look the more convinced I am that he is JAG. JAG with heart is still JAG. Just like Joique Bell and Jordan Howard were JAG even though with enough carries and heart they compiled numbers and had a lot of fans.

Which is exactly why my post said IMHO (in my honest opinion). Other things I posted are facts such as his stats and his toughness as a runner whose been counted on to handle short yardage and goal line (inside the five) carries. His rushing TDs and his carries for a 1st down are a testament to that. Much of what I post, much of what we all post is no more than our opinion. I just do my best to back mine up with why I have the opinions I do.

As for long runs there again I wrote that he has posted some long runs. One and 80 yard TD run. I never posted or even implied that he was "know for it" or deserves to be recognized as a threat to score every time he touches that ball. Monty is a very effective workhorse RB who can also catch as receiver. What the others are capable of is hard to say when we have little to go by with a couple of them but I'm not dissing any of them.
I get it - everyone shares opinions. They just sort of come across as more than that when they are shared with such certainty. And your name is "bearFACTS". ;)

There's nothing wrong with just liking a player even though statistically they don't produce as much as some others. TDs and first down carries and long runs... all that is great, but "compared to who?" Reality is, Monty's stats are closer to those of Joique Bell than Aaron Jones. And some Lions fans really loved Bell as a Lion. But just remember if you fall in love with a player who can't do quite as much with as much opportunity, you're also choosing to make the team lesser and that does reflect in wins and losses.
"My coaches love my ability to run through the smoke" - Vay Jones