Post draft free agency needs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Now that the dust has settled, I'm wondering what everyone thinks we should do (or not do) with the remaining table scraps of free agency and/or our remaining cap?

I'm thinking a few things:

1. We should add a vet WR. Jones is a gadgety guy, we have Mooney/Pringle and that's just atrocious by current NFL standards. There's talent available that would help us. Give Fields a safety valve / possession guy / chain mover.
2. I don't think we should add OL (at least not yet). We drafted 4 guys and you will only keep 9 max (maybe 8) on the 53 man roster. MAYBE you could squeeze a guy through waiver to the practice squad, but there's a good chance he'd get taken. But right now, that's where we are if you have our current starting 5 + 4 drafted guys, there's your 9. And that already pushes Dozier, Davenport, Mustipher, Simmons off the roster as is. THAT SAID, when we get these guys into camp we may realize one or more really can't play and at that point we may want to grab some last minute help.
3. Extend a key player? Roquan? Monty? I could see this happening, no point hanging on to open cap space if we don't have a viable move to make elsewhere and we aren't REALLY competing in 2022. Why not get in front of the pending Roquan extension now? Would save you a bit of money and lock in a core player.
4. Revisit OGun. If we don't get anything else done that would preclude this move, maybe we can go back to OGun and get him on a 1 year deal. 3T is a problem for us still.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I disagree with #2. The draft spots they were taken, makes them all expendable. I am as hopeful as you. But right now people are penciling in a 6th round pick as the starter at RG. Its insane. If 2 of those 4 make the roster that's a success. If all 4 make it you have to question the groups talent.
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:57 am I disagree with #2. The draft spots they were taken, makes them all expendable. I am as hopeful as you. But right now people are penciling in a 6th round pick as the starter at RG. Its insane. If 2 of those 4 make the roster that's a success. If all 4 make it you have to question the groups talent.
Fair. Not liking what's left at the G spot though, the one FA out there I see with starting potential is a T - Fisher. Maybe Tretter but his injury appears to have scared teams off.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:09 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:57 am I disagree with #2. The draft spots they were taken, makes them all expendable. I am as hopeful as you. But right now people are penciling in a 6th round pick as the starter at RG. Its insane. If 2 of those 4 make the roster that's a success. If all 4 make it you have to question the groups talent.
Fair. Not liking what's left at the G spot though, the one FA out there I see with starting potential is a T - Fisher. Maybe Tretter but his injury appears to have scared teams off.
Yeah I think a guy will be cut, it seems to happen every year. We will see how confident Poles is in his picks.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I think signing a vet WR to a short deal would be smart. I also like your idea of extending Roquan. With how the D is set up now he's absolutely the centerpiece and needs to stay a Bear. Otherwise I'm personally taking a wait and see approach. There will be plenty of scrap heap type plug and play veterans near the end of training camp that can fill an OG spot and I'd rather give the young guys most/all of the offseason and training camp reps. If we are going to use this as a year to reset and rebuild, may as well just evaluate the young players as much as they can.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

We have to hope that somebody who drafted one early cuts a veteran guard (maybe the Giants?) or somebody cuts a tackle and Borom/Rookie can make it work at guard. There just isn't enough talent on the oline right now to be done and I think @dplank is probably overestimating the interest in poaching our late round IOL picks off waivers.

Agree on the rest. Poles has serious work to do because this offense is BAD right now
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:25 am We have to hope that somebody who drafted one early cuts a veteran guard (maybe the Giants?) or somebody cuts a tackle and Borom/Rookie can make it work at guard. There just isn't enough talent on the oline right now to be done and I think @dplank is probably overestimating the interest in poaching our late round IOL picks off waivers.
You may be right, I don't have a good feel for how often that happens. My thinking was that if we spend draft capital on a guy then that likely means he'd warrant a free look by another team - but maybe not. We passed Hambright/Simmons through without any difficulty and they were 7th round picks, so that goes to your point.
wab
Mod

As far as the OL goes, 6th round guys start every year. People were over the moon last year for Borom and he was a 5th round pick. Either Borom or Thomas will be starting at RG (IMO) depending on how Braxton Jones looks in camp. Carter and Kramer look like PS candidates, but who knows. Carter has some traits and versatility. I'm not a huge Kramer fan. He's not much different than Mustipher (I actually like Mustipher a little better).

The Bears currently have 15 offensive linemen on the roster and there just aren't a whole lot of free agent OL out there that would really make a difference. Fisher maybe if Borom and Jones look like shit. Trai Turner wouldn't be bad on a 1 year deal I guess.

Outside of those two? Do you really want Billy Price? Brandon Knight? Sam Tevi?

I'd stick with what they have at OL. You can't figure out if your young guys can play if you don't let them play.

WR is where I'd look again. There's still some talent there. Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Keelan Cole, Adam Humphries, and Christian Blake are guys that could improve the WR room right away. OBJ is there too...but I'm probably staying away.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really, reallly, really, think you should think twice about projecting a 5th round rookie from the Big Sky (described as "raw" no less) to step in and start at LT in the NFL as a rookie. That sounds like an absolute train wreck to me. Borom was serviceable and fairly reliable in pass protection, plus has an NFL year under his belt.

That jump from Big Sky to NFL though...brutal.

I agree there seems little point adding a "Billy Price" type to this roster right now. We already have a dozen of them.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:44 am I really, reallly, really, think you should think twice about projecting a 5th round rookie from the Big Sky (described as "raw" no less) to step in and start at LT in the NFL as a rookie. That sounds like an absolute train wreck to me. Borom was serviceable and fairly reliable in pass protection, plus has an NFL year under his belt.

I agree there seems little point adding a "Billy Price" type to this roster right now. We already have a dozen of them.
I did say Borom OR Thomas look like the starting RG. Plus you literally have no idea how Jones will look (neither do I to be fair).

Some would say the jump from Arkansas-Pine Bluff to the NFL would be huge...but Terron Armstead managed ok.

Draft position after the draft is over is largely irrelevant.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think we still need someone that is more proven at OG and LT than we have. I'd like to get someone in soon so they can get to know the system but will likely get a more talented guy when teams start making cuts. Some rookie is going to push a vet off of his team.

Sill think we need a WR as well.

Don't like what we have to fight for our third LB spot.

There were several guys who went undrafted that I was hoping we would snag - JoJo "Rabbit" Domann (LB Nebraska), Josh Jobe (CB Bama), Verone McKiney (S Oregon - but we shored up that spot in the draft so less problematic), two OL from AZ St. - West and Diesh (again we drafted lots of OL guys late so maybe not), and Justyn Ross (WR Clemson). At some point I think I drafted all of those guys is various mocks I did.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:54 am
dplank wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:44 am I really, reallly, really, think you should think twice about projecting a 5th round rookie from the Big Sky (described as "raw" no less) to step in and start at LT in the NFL as a rookie. That sounds like an absolute train wreck to me. Borom was serviceable and fairly reliable in pass protection, plus has an NFL year under his belt.

I did say Borom OR Thomas look like the starting RG. Plus you literally have no idea how Jones will look (neither do I to be fair).

Some would say the jump from Arkansas-Pine Bluff to the NFL would be huge...but Terron Armstead managed ok.

Draft position after the draft is over is largely irrelevant.
Plus I think many of the guys we drafted from "lesser" programs where at the Senior Bowl and had good showing there. Additionally, many (if not all) of them had an extra year due to COVID so they have had more time to develop.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:10 am

Yeah I think a guy will be cut, it seems to happen every year. We will see how confident Poles is in his picks.
I agree with this, though I suspect they'll wait until after rookie minicamp to see what they look like.

I believe that Thomas will grab a spot and refuse to let go, but I could certainly be wrong. Further, I don't expect Braxton Jones to be ready to play regular snaps early, if at all, this season, so I'm guessing Borom stays at LT. And I'm not particularly high on Kramer or Carter personally, though Carter at least has enough strength to dress on game day.

Not sure Roquan is getting an extension until they see how he plays in this defense. I expect he'll be great, and I think they expect he will, and I know Roquan expects he will. But JMSO we still need to see it.

Otherwise I'm on board with @dplank on #1 and #4.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:39 am Outside of those two? Do you really want Billy Price? Brandon Knight? Sam Tevi?
I said I was hoping some expensive-but-decent veteran would get cut somewhere post-draft but actually I do like Billy Price. He'd be cheap enough that you can use him as a swing tackle if Jenkins actually beats him out. The offensive line is incredibly young and unproven. We should have a few stable vets around in case there are injuries and/or shit totally starts to fall apart.

Borom has not played LT in the NFL and is a 2nd year player
Whitehair is a veteran that had a bad year last year
Patrick is a veteran in the sense that he has two years starting at G but is now playing C
The rookie RG is a rookie
Jenkins has not played RT in the NFL and is a 2nd year player coming off a rough season

That is not an acceptable week 1 plan in my opinion. It's not an experiment when you have no control group.

The WR group is similar with the "veterans" being still young and part-time players.
xyt in the discord chats
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

I'm guessing priority 1 for Poles re: veteran free agency is the offensive line. They need veteran insurance at OG at the very least.

I'd add a veteran WR - Jarvis Landry would be my first choice, but I'm guessing he (and Julio) are hoping to sign with contenders. I also think folks may be sleeping a bit on Pringle - he's not elite - but he can play. Jones? He's the wild card. St. Brown? I think the BEST we can hope for is a modern version of Devin Aromashadou. Regardless, even if they sign someone, the WR room will still be bottom 5 in the league.

The Bears also DESPERATELY need LB help. At present, they have 1 credible starter. This defense requires two.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think Morrow is starting caliber. Depth is scary bad, if Ro goes out we are toast.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

No love for Daryl Williams?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 am Now that the dust has settled, I'm wondering what everyone thinks we should do (or not do) with the remaining table scraps of free agency and/or our remaining cap?

1. We should add a vet WR. Jones is a gadgety guy, we have Mooney/Pringle and that's just atrocious by current NFL standards. There's talent available that would help us. Give Fields a safety valve / possession guy / chain mover.
2. I don't think we should add OL (at least not yet). We drafted 4 guys and you will only keep 9 max (maybe 8) on the 53 man roster. MAYBE you could squeeze a guy through waiver to the practice squad, but there's a good chance he'd get taken. But right now, that's where we are if you have our current starting 5 + 4 drafted guys, there's your 9. And that already pushes Dozier, Davenport, Mustipher, Simmons off the roster as is. THAT SAID, when we get these guys into camp we may realize one or more really can't play and at that point we may want to grab some last minute help.
3. Extend a key player? Roquan? Monty? I could see this happening, no point hanging on to open cap space if we don't have a viable move to make elsewhere and we aren't REALLY competing in 2022. Why not get in front of the pending Roquan extension now? Would save you a bit of money and lock in a core player.
4. Revisit OGun. If we don't get anything else done that would preclude this move, maybe we can go back to OGun and get him on a 1 year deal. 3T is a problem for us still.
Like 4 for sure. And 3 - makes sense on Roquan
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'm guessing getting 1-2 more good rotational guys for the D line is a must. After they see what we have in rookie camp, A DT and possibly a DE will be brought in as a 20-30% snap guy in the rotation.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Sanborn making the 53 man roster would help a really thin LB situation. Might need another. Otherwise the team isn't competing, let the young guys play and develop under fire. Don't be McNagy '21 redux, playing the vets long after the season was lost so that rookies couldn't be properly evaluated.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Nate Herbig OG from Philly has been released after they drafted some OL help. I don’t know if he has the athletic profile Poles like but he would bring in starting experience at the OG spot which we sorely need.

I think we are 7th on the waiver wire. I think I’d pick him up and if someone better becomes available send him to the wood chipper then. Unless his his contract has some roster bonus that could have an impact on our cap.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:48 am Sanborn making the 53 man roster would help a really thin LB situation. Might need another. Otherwise the team isn't competing, let the young guys play and develop under fire. Don't be McNagy '21 redux, playing the vets long after the season was lost so that rookies couldn't be properly evaluated.
I agree. Given what we have at LB he has a very good shot at making it. Still wish we would have snagged Domann. But that’s likely a regional bias of mine since I’ve seen him play more. He’s one of those guys I still don’t understand how he went underrated.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:39 am I'm not a huge Kramer fan. He's not much different than Mustipher (I actually like Mustipher a little better).
When I was reading his profiles, I thought this as well, but when I looked at the game tape, I thought he looked much stronger and more active than Mustipher. Yeah, Kramer ends up on the ground a lot, but it's usually while accomplishing his job. I don't know if any of you have seen this or posted it, but check out this tweet thread analysis of him:

There's a whole thread of these if you go to Twitter. Actually, pretty impressive. But I know there are some Illini fans who follow them much closer than I do. What do you think? I also love that he's a Bear fan.

I think Mustipher's days as a Bear are numbered, and that's why Olin's so upset. ;)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 am Now that the dust has settled, I'm wondering what everyone thinks we should do (or not do) with the remaining table scraps of free agency and/or our remaining cap?

1) Absolutely
2) Yes. Dozier and Davenport are 100% nonguaranteed until Opening Day. I think finding someone better now or after cuts is very doable.
3) Generally, yes. Monty? OMG, no.
4) Maybe. All depends on the health, other interest, and terms.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

If there's some churn around vet min level that's absolutely fine. I just don't want to see us throwing $4/5/6m at one year players. The team is a decent family car this year, which is fine, but if we want to get better we don't need to bolt on a spoiler, we need to save up and buy a better car.

Extension to Smith, yep. OGun, maybe, but if it's one year why not let someone else take the risk?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

OG - Nate Herbig likely to be made an unrestricted FA by the Eagles.

Could be a good pickup for £2m?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:41 am If there's some churn around vet min level that's absolutely fine. I just don't want to see us throwing $4/5/6m at one year players. The team is a decent family car this year, which is fine, but if we want to get better we don't need to bolt on a spoiler, we need to save up and buy a better car.

Extension to Smith, yep. OGun, maybe, but if it's one year why not let someone else take the risk?
How does spending 5/6M this year on a one year player impact next years spending plan? IMO it’s worth it to protect Fields - if he gets seriously injured that could impact next year and beyond.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Still available: Will Fuller, Eric Fisher, Anthony Hitchens, Nate Herbig (only 23, took 3rd most snaps for the Eagles past 2 years), Ereck Flowers, Xavier Rhodes.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I really like Fuller. He's my favorite FA WR left. But man, he's an injury waiting to happen.

I also like Fisher, but I expect Poles to look at how our draft picks look before signing anybody. At the very least, Peters should last out there until final cut down. What a veteran FA LT could teach Jones could be invaluable. Jenkins has already commented on how much Peters helped him.
wab
Mod

With the Panthers taking Icky that high in the draft, Cam Erving might become expendable. He's not amazing or anything, but Poles knows him and he can play all 5 positions. he will turn 30 at the start of the season and has been pretty durable.