State of the OL Competitions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Attached is an article listing potential players at each OL spot. It seems like Jenkins is going to be the guy at RT. Save the Bears bringing in a vet at LT, it's between Borom and Braxton Jones. RG is where it's most interesting. Willie Wright, Dakota Dozier, Zach Thomas, and Dieter Eiselen are competing there; I can see the rookie winning the job:

https://beargoggleson.com/2022/05/09/ch ... sive-line/
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bearfacts
MVP

I like Poles approach. With the exception of our two 2021 OT draftees the rest are this years collection of rookies and vets competing primarily at LT and RG with Poles hoping at least one or two will ascend enough to complete his OL during camp.

I'm content with letting that play out first before we begin to consider signing vets to plug holes. If Borom and Jones are Poles two LT prospects it won't help in their development if we sign a vet like Eric Fisher before camp and make him the 1st string LT. First let's find out of either of those guys can handle LT this year. Chris Morgan is an experience OL coach with a ton of experience coaching wide zone schemes. If he says they'll work out I'd believe him. Conversely if he says we need vet help I'd believe that too.

RG is where most of our interest should be focused because that and RT will be keystones to the running game. We know that Jenkins has the kind of demeanor Poles wants from his OL and IMHO the guy who at least for now seems to be much like him is Thomas. Good size, good speed and athleticism, and he also has a mean streak. But can he play well enough to start. Dozier has experience playing in a wide zone scheme but lacks an ability to pass block. As a former OT I'd hop that wouldn't be an issue with Thomas too.

With the scarcity of good vet FA OL and the rising costs of signing them building your own OL has got to be the way to go at least for now. After 17 games we should know pretty well what we have for OL and what we don't have. With a full slate of draft picks next year we should at the very least be able to add another OL and a WR in the early rounds or we may find what we need in FA and be able to fill a hole that way. For once this feels like the proper way to re-tool an entire team one step at a time with pauses to measure what we have first then respond.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

After wathing this I'm already sure any of the rookies can beat out Dakota Dozier. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I couldn't believe he sacked his own QB?!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm I like Poles approach. With the exception of our two 2021 OT draftees the rest are this years collection of rookies and vets competing primarily at LT and RG with Poles hoping at least one or two will ascend enough to complete his OL during camp.

I'm content with letting that play out first before we begin to consider signing vets to plug holes. If Borom and Jones are Poles two LT prospects it won't help in their development if we sign a vet like Eric Fisher before camp and make him the 1st string LT. First let's find out of either of those guys can handle LT this year. Chris Morgan is an experience OL coach with a ton of experience coaching wide zone schemes. If he says they'll work out I'd believe him. Conversely if he says we need vet help I'd believe that too.

RG is where most of our interest should be focused because that and RT will be keystones to the running game. We know that Jenkins has the kind of demeanor Poles wants from his OL and IMHO the guy who at least for now seems to be much like him is Thomas. Good size, good speed and athleticism, and he also has a mean streak. But can he play well enough to start. Dozier has experience playing in a wide zone scheme but lacks an ability to pass block. As a former OT I'd hop that wouldn't be an issue with Thomas too.

With the scarcity of good vet FA OL and the rising costs of signing them building your own OL has got to be the way to go at least for now. After 17 games we should know pretty well what we have for OL and what we don't have. With a full slate of draft picks next year we should at the very least be able to add another OL and a WR in the early rounds or we may find what we need in FA and be able to fill a hole that way. For once this feels like the proper way to re-tool an entire team one step at a time with pauses to measure what we have first then respond.
Couple counter points:

1). The price for OL additions at this stage of the off season is going down, not up. Any additions now would be very cheap. We just saw Landry, who wanted 20M, sign for 3M.
2). We won’t really know if we are good enough at LT or RG until games are played, practice will give us a clue but we won’t really know.
3). The risk of waiting and then finding out LT and RG are awful (if that’s how it goes) is higher than just waiting until next offseason to address - Fields health is directly at risk here. This point never seems to get addressed.
4). Injuries happen, be prepared for it not surprised by it.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm RG is where most of our interest should be focused because that and RT will be keystones to the running game. We know that Jenkins has the kind of demeanor Poles wants from his OL and IMHO the guy who at least for now seems to be much like him is Thomas. Good size, good speed and athleticism, and he also has a mean streak. But can he play well enough to start. Dozier has experience playing in a wide zone scheme but lacks an ability to pass block. As a former OT I'd hop that wouldn't be an issue with Thomas too.
I'm honestly surprised that Poles hasn't signed a veteran to (likely) start at RG. I'm not sure it's the best idea to trust it to Dozier or one of the rookies. Maybe we'll still sign a guy--but closer to the season? We're hearing good things about Thomas, Carter and Delance...but I don't know if I'm comfortable penciling one in as the RG. I suppose some perspective is required--it's not exactly like Daniels contributed all that much last year.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm sure in the moment he was just trying to get him away from the other guy and protect him & it just looks super awkward on tape. One play doesn't define any player. Ask Wirf after Mack flipped him like a ragdoll.

I really know nothing about Dozier, and wouldn't be surprised if he started or got cut or anything in between. If Poles felt he had some characteristic he liked, then I hope we see it. But even more I'm hoping that Thomas and Carter settle in with a good competition at RG and Poles is able to move forward and build the Oline he wants with the young guys and no more old guys beyond Whitehair and Patrick for however long they have to be there.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:32 pm Attached is an article listing potential players at each OL spot. It seems like Jenkins is going to be the guy at RT. Save the Bears bringing in a vet at LT, it's between Borom and Braxton Jones. RG is where it's most interesting. Willie Wright, Dakota Dozier, Zach Thomas, and Dieter Eiselen are competing there; I can see the rookie winning the job:

https://beargoggleson.com/2022/05/09/ch ... sive-line/
I don't know who this Parker Hurley person is that has been writing these beargoggles articles, but they read like he might be a 14 year old. It is incredible that he has a role creating content that is consumed on the internet.
Heinz D.
MVP

IE wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:43 am I don't know who this Parker Hurley person is that has been writing these beargoggles articles, but they read like he might be a 14 year old. It is incredible that he has a role creating content that is consumed on the internet.
That site has been like that for as long as I can remember. Bad writing in a general sense, but also misspellings, bad grammar, etc.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I can live with the grammar issues, it’s the flawed logic that drives me nuts. They have no ability to chain logic together that drives to a particular theory.
dave99
Assistant Coach

I get it.
Every step or perceived misstep is filtered through the lens of decades of failure and frustration.
Nobody will be terribly surprised if one or more of our day 2 picks bust and one or more players we passed become perennial pro bowlers. Bitter and angry, sure. But not surprised.

Right now the OL all comes down to trusting Poles, Cunningham, Eberflaus and his coaches.
The latest dream team brought to suffering Bear Nation from the latest iteration of the this-time-for-sure interview/hiring process.
Since very little in our recent and not so recent history suggests that George and Ted have any idea what they are doing, it all feels like a bit like banking on Clark Griswald's book on "Winning Blackjack Strategies"

Maybe doubling down on the dealers ace will work this time.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:55 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm RG is where most of our interest should be focused because that and RT will be keystones to the running game. We know that Jenkins has the kind of demeanor Poles wants from his OL and IMHO the guy who at least for now seems to be much like him is Thomas. Good size, good speed and athleticism, and he also has a mean streak. But can he play well enough to start. Dozier has experience playing in a wide zone scheme but lacks an ability to pass block. As a former OT I'd hop that wouldn't be an issue with Thomas too.
I'm honestly surprised that Poles hasn't signed a veteran to (likely) start at RG. I'm not sure it's the best idea to trust it to Dozier or one of the rookies. Maybe we'll still sign a guy--but closer to the season? We're hearing good things about Thomas, Carter and Delance...but I don't know if I'm comfortable penciling one in as the RG. I suppose some perspective is required--it's not exactly like Daniels contributed all that much last year.
And he may end up doing that once he can evaluate who he has now but that can't happen until the pads come on in July.

While Poles may have missed out on Ryan Bates I think he may well have drafted his own version of the guy in Zach Thomas whose similar in size and has similar toughness and versatility. Bates also played some OT in college. Thomas actually grades out higher than Bates did when drafted but Bates now has the experience Thomas does not.

Ya' got three guys now competing for that RG and maybe a fourth if we include Carter whom I believe they're looking at more as a LG in hopes he may backup or eventually replace Whitehair. Mustipher and Dozier are vets with starting experience but before the season ends I wouldn't be shocked at to see Thomas starting there. As run blockers he and Jenkins would make a good pairing.

I think we need to accept that the OL will still have some blemishes to begin with but in this scheme coordination is even more important that top tier talent. The GB OL is made up of mostly 2nd - 6th round picks many of whom started as rookies so is it better to play a lesser guy with some experience or let the rookie with more upside have the job from the get go?
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm I like Poles approach. With the exception of our two 2021 OT draftees the rest are this years collection of rookies and vets competing primarily at LT and RG with Poles hoping at least one or two will ascend enough to complete his OL during camp.

Couple counter points:

1). The price for OL additions at this stage of the off season is going down, not up. Any additions now would be very cheap. We just saw Landry, who wanted 20M, sign for 3M.
2). We won’t really know if we are good enough at LT or RG until games are played, practice will give us a clue but we won’t really know.
3). The risk of waiting and then finding out LT and RG are awful (if that’s how it goes) is higher than just waiting until next offseason to address - Fields health is directly at risk here. This point never seems to get addressed.
4). Injuries happen, be prepared for it not surprised by it.
Clarification on #1. You're right about current market value but what I was referring to is more in the line of the longer term costs of buying on OL vs building your own via the draft and UDFA. Top five OG are getting $14-$16 mil apy. Top RT are at $17-$19 mil apy and LT are at $18-$23 mil apy. I don't think we're paying $20 mil for our entire OL are we? LOL

True on #2 but it's always like that isn't it? The Colts gambled on Eric Fisher post injury after KC let him go and he wasn't anywhere near as solid as he once was. Poles may eventually decide to sign him or another LT like Duane Brown but with "Flus" coming from Indy if Poles believed Fisher was worth the investment he would have acted on it by now wouldn't he?

#3. I really don't think it's possible for our pass protection to be worse than it was in 2021 and we no longer have a HC who thought 5 OL could handle the Cleveland pass rush with little or no help. I'm less worried about Fields health than others or so it seems. The kid is nearly LB size and runs a 4.4 forty. We're also running a scheme now that's far more run based with play action to offset the pass rush and IMHO the passing game will feature more short quick throws along with some shots downfield. After watching the workups of the GB run and passing games from Stephen Letizia that Kylo posted the plan is coming into clearer focus. We aren't in Nagyville any longer so maybe we should begin to view stuff through a different lens.

#4. It's much easier to afford quality depth when you aren't spending $50 mil a year on your OL. If anything IMHO what we may lack in top tier talent this year will be counter balanced by having some depth. The entire OL can probably be rated now as being both mediocre and inexperienced from starters through their backups. If Borom is playing LT and he gets injured will Jones be that much worse? The entire OL including backups rates about a 5 as far as quality and experience goes. The same 8-9 guys who win in camp and preseason will still be competing all season long.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:38 am I'm sure in the moment he was just trying to get him away from the other guy and protect him & it just looks super awkward on tape. One play doesn't define any player. Ask Wirf after Mack flipped him like a ragdoll.

I really know nothing about Dozier, and wouldn't be surprised if he started or got cut or anything in between. If Poles felt he had some characteristic he liked, then I hope we see it. But even more I'm hoping that Thomas and Carter settle in with a good competition at RG and Poles is able to move forward and build the Oline he wants with the young guys and no more old guys beyond Whitehair and Patrick for however long they have to be there.
I certainly follow this. Don't bring in any more oldsters if you don't have to.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Bearfacts
MVP

Kylo Bearen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:13 am After wathing this I'm already sure any of the rookies can beat out Dakota Dozier. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I couldn't believe he sacked his own QB?!
Why is it always the Vikings who have a player that does something that people will remember forever. Just hit the YouTube link.

Bearfacts
MVP

Here's a little more on the OL situation.

From Jeff Hughes/DaBears Blog; https://www.dabearsblog.com/2022/five-q ... ay-morning

As for the offensive line, there is still nothing to evaluate until we know how the players shake out. The Bears still don’t know where Teven Jenkins is going to line up. They don’t know if Larry Borom if going to be in their starting five. Similar to the QB, these guys are still learning how to play within a new scheme/structure.

One thing I have heard from inside the building is Morgan likes Borom more than Poles and company did when they were first hired. Poles didn’t initially envision Borom as a starter. That may be changing.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Personally, I think that Jones will beat out Borom at LT and Borom will become our RG.
wab
Mod

Borom's place on the OL (whether at LT or RG) will be determined on what kind of shape he is in when camp rolls around.
IE
Hall of Famer

Looks like the narrative on Borom is changing after the coaches have been working with him. In my mind (lol) I have him penciled in at LT to start the season, with Jones backing him up. Eventually Jones may beat him out for the starter spot but if he does I see Borom becoming the Swing (and I think he'll be good at it).

Yeah wab I hope he's in good shape. Given he did what he did last year on his own, I'm thinking Poles saying all the Oline had better get lighter and be prepared to use their athleticism will push Borom even lighter than he got last year. If he plays at 315 or even 310 he's going to be pretty athletic out there.
Bearfacts
MVP

IE wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:24 pm Looks like the narrative on Borom is changing after the coaches have been working with him. In my mind (lol) I have him penciled in at LT to start the season, with Jones backing him up. Eventually Jones may beat him out for the starter spot but if he does I see Borom becoming the Swing (and I think he'll be good at it).

Yeah wab I hope he's in good shape. Given he did what he did last year on his own, I'm thinking Poles saying all the Oline had better get lighter and be prepared to use their athleticism will push Borom even lighter than he got last year. If he plays at 315 or even 310 he's going to be pretty athletic out there.
You're seeing it as I do. I actually wasn't all that surprise they've decided to keep Borom at LT and put Jenkins at RT. Borom not only had the benefit on playing there last years but he also got a pretty healthy dose of vet mentoring from Jason Peters. Jones is the guy Poles drafted to compete with Borom and if he takes over at LT I also expect Borom to become the swing OT.

I think that in order for Borom to be effective at RG he would need to shed an awful lot of weight and just by looking at his build I'm not sure that's possible. He was 350lbs when drafted and lost 20lbs to play around 330lbs. I don't know what the Bears consider to be his ideal weight now but I'm guessing it's not as little as 315lbs. He's just a very big broad bodied guy.

Just guessing again but after losing out on Ryan Bates I believe Poles looked for his "twin" in the draft. That guy is Zach Thomas and although he may not be ready to start day one I still believe he'll be given a fair shot at it. The combination of Thomas and Jenkins on the right side with their toughness and athletic ability should be great for the run game. JMHO
IE
Hall of Famer

He was down to 320 last spring - he lost 30 lbs between the season and the draft... so that's some dedication even for a guy who is so big he probably loses 5 lbs after his morning "constitution".

Last year after the Seattle game we had discussion on this site about Borom at LT and Jenkins back on is better side. I was really in favor of it, and wanting to see those two in those spots for the rest of the season (given the record at the time). The counter argument was don't move people around at that point of the season. I got that at the time - but thought the investment in seeing Jenk on the right and Borom where he showed well in limited snaps made a lot of sense. Plus Jenk hadn't really played enough to settle in anywhere. Unfortunately Nagy as a lame duck certainly never considered that. Maybe it doesn't matter, given the changing system and such.

But yeah to me it seemed very interesting how Borom performed on the left and I wanted to see those bookends in these new spots for the last quarter of the season last year.
Bearfacts
MVP

IE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm He was down to 320 last spring - he lost 30 lbs between the season and the draft... so that's some dedication even for a guy who is so big he probably loses 5 lbs after his morning "constitution".

Last year after the Seattle game we had discussion on this site about Borom at LT and Jenkins back on is better side. I was really in favor of it, and wanting to see those two in those spots for the rest of the season (given the record at the time). The counter argument was don't move people around at that point of the season. I got that at the time - but thought the investment in seeing Jenk on the right and Borom where he showed well in limited snaps made a lot of sense. Plus Jenk hadn't really played enough to settle in anywhere. Unfortunately Nagy as a lame duck certainly never considered that. Maybe it doesn't matter, given the changing system and such.

But yeah to me it seemed very interesting how Borom performed on the left and I wanted to see those bookends in these new spots for the last quarter of the season last year.
I guess I never read anything about him being down to 320lbs last spring and the Bears still have him listed at 333lbs which as we know may of may not be true. If he has played at 320lbs before and can play well at that weight I would think it's closer to his ideal weight as an NFL OT. Jenkins comes in at a similar weight but he has a different body type so he looks leaner to me.

Whether or not they'd prefer both to play lighter yet I suppose with be determined by how well they can execute their assignments in this new scheme but much like you I also envisioned Borom getting first shot at LT if only because for a rookie he did OK when playing their last season. This is an aggressive run blocking scheme and I would think that benefits keeping Jenkins at RT for good.

We have a high 2nd round pick invested in him so keeping him where we can get the most out of him just makes good sense to me vs moving him away from his primary strengths as a run blocker. Borom actually reminds me more of Jason Peters who was also pretty athletic for a big man and similar in size and body type to Borom who I thought actually played better at LT than at RT.

I also believe some fans may be selling short on the potential of a guy like Braxton Jones. He has all of the physical tools you'd want in an OT but needs to be worked up to playing at an NFL level. He should get that during camp and preseason and at least become a potential backup and swing OT this year. I think both guys have the potential to be decent starting NFL LT this year or next.
rtd
Practice Squad

Was watching a podcast with Greg Gabreal . Very interesting interview. He said the bears give their players a body fat % and lbs to play at. But the BMI is the main factor. If Borom comes in at the number % ( 26 , 27 whatever) they will not care about the weight. Also was pretty rosey about the Bears WRs and Oline rooms.
Bearfacts
MVP

rtd wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:17 am Was watching a podcast with Greg Gabreal . Very interesting interview. He said the bears give their players a body fat % and lbs to play at. But the BMI is the main factor. If Borom comes in at the number % ( 26 , 27 whatever) they will not care about the weight. Also was pretty rosey about the Bears WRs and Oline rooms.
Which podcast and do you have a link to it by chance.

I'd like to listen to Gabriel's views on this because it kinda fits with what I've been thinking that body type itself would be a major factor in determining a proper playing weight. For instance. Borom and Braxton Jones are both 6'5" but have different body types. Borom is broader and looks more stout where Jones is slimmer and more athletic looking even for an OT. I don't believe Borom would ever play at 310lbs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:23 pm Whether or not they'd prefer both to play lighter yet I suppose with be determined by how well they can execute their assignments in this new scheme but much like you I also envisioned Borom getting first shot at LT if only because for a rookie he did OK when playing their last season. This is an aggressive run blocking scheme and I would think that benefits keeping Jenkins at RT for good.
Article on Jenkins from Jason Lieser at the Sun Times:
Bears’ Teven Jenkins upbeat as move to right tackle looks increasingly likely

For much of the offseason, fellow second-year man Larry Borom has been working at left tackle and Jenkins has been at right.

Jenkins gave no hint of discontent Tuesday as he processed the strong possibility that his career is taking a sharp right turn.

He made reference to someone, presumably coach Matt Eberflus or an assistant, simply telling him at the start of offseason practices that he was moving to right tackle, and that was that. Eberflus and Poles have repeatedly left open the possibility of flipping Jenkins and Borom back, but this is clearly headed in a particular direction.

There’s a chance the Bears could be looking to fill all five O-line starting spots in 2023. If Jenkins emerges as an answer at any position, that’s one less repair for Poles.

That evaluation already is well underway based on film study of the six games Jenkins played in after missing most of last season because of back surgery and of his career at Oklahoma State. There isn’t much to be discerned from non-contact offseason practices other than Jenkins is moving well after dropping 20 pounds to 325 and strengthening his core to avoid more back injuries.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... ryan-poles
Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:40 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:23 pm Whether or not they'd prefer both to play lighter yet I suppose with be determined by how well they can execute their assignments in this new scheme but much like you I also envisioned Borom getting first shot at LT if only because for a rookie he did OK when playing their last season. This is an aggressive run blocking scheme and I would think that benefits keeping Jenkins at RT for good.
Article on Jenkins from Jason Lieser at the Sun Times:
Bears’ Teven Jenkins upbeat as move to right tackle looks increasingly likely

For much of the offseason, fellow second-year man Larry Borom has been working at left tackle and Jenkins has been at right.

Jenkins gave no hint of discontent Tuesday as he processed the strong possibility that his career is taking a sharp right turn.

He made reference to someone, presumably coach Matt Eberflus or an assistant, simply telling him at the start of offseason practices that he was moving to right tackle, and that was that. Eberflus and Poles have repeatedly left open the possibility of flipping Jenkins and Borom back, but this is clearly headed in a particular direction.

There’s a chance the Bears could be looking to fill all five O-line starting spots in 2023. If Jenkins emerges as an answer at any position, that’s one less repair for Poles.

That evaluation already is well underway based on film study of the six games Jenkins played in after missing most of last season because of back surgery and of his career at Oklahoma State. There isn’t much to be discerned from non-contact offseason practices other than Jenkins is moving well after dropping 20 pounds to 325 and strengthening his core to avoid more back injuries.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... ryan-poles
While we all knew that Borom played much heavier in college I was never aware that Jenkins weighed 345lbs.

But as for the decision to keep him at RT I believe it's a good one. Most of his college experience is at RT and from what I can see in him that's his natural position. On top of that Borom who was also a RT in college actually seemed to handle LT last year better than RT and maybe that's because he had Jason Peters to mentor him.

But IMHO there's always been a fundamental thought about positions that makes sense to me. Play a guy wherever he's best and if it leaves a hole elsewhere fill that hole with another guy whose best at that spot. So many times we've failed to do that with all of our attempts to stick square pegs into round holes. If Jenkins becomes an All Pro RT they've made the right call on him and if Borom can't play LT then find someone else who can.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 pm
But IMHO there's always been a fundamental thought about positions that makes sense to me. Play a guy wherever he's best and if it leaves a hole elsewhere fill that hole with another guy whose best at that spot. So many times we've failed to do that with all of our attempts to stick square pegs into round holes. If Jenkins becomes an All Pro RT they've made the right call on him and if Borom can't play LT then find someone else who can.
Agree 100%. Been saying this for years, and this staff actually seems to get it.
rtd
Practice Squad

Bearfacts wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 am
rtd wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:17 am Was watching a podcast with Greg Gabreal . Very interesting interview. He said the bears give their players a body fat % and lbs to play at. But the BMI is the main factor. If Borom comes in at the number % ( 26 , 27 whatever) they will not care about the weight. Also was pretty rosey about the Bears WRs and Oline rooms.

I'd like to listen to Gabriel's views on this because it kinda fits with what I've been thinking that body type itself would be a major factor in determining a proper playing weight. For instance. Borom and Braxton Jones are both 6'5" but have different body types. Borom is broader and looks more stout where Jones is slimmer and more athletic looking even for an OT. I don't believe Borom would ever play at 310lbs.
Sorry Bearfacts dont know name . On Utube search bears. Was listening to Adam Rank and he was speaking with someone and saying arm length is very important to Poles. In drafting Oline and especially OT. Borom has 33+ in arms and Jomes has 35. All OTs drafted or signed have 35+ inch arm length. They thought Borom would finally end up at OG.
Bearfacts
MVP

rtd wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:13 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 am

Sorry Bearfacts dont know name . On Utube search bears. Was listening to Adam Rank and he was speaking with someone and saying arm length is very important to Poles. In drafting Oline and especially OT. Borom has 33+ in arms and Jomes has 35. All OTs drafted or signed have 35+ inch arm length. They thought Borom would finally end up at OG.
I think I may have found it on one of the Barroom videos Gabe does with Aldo Gandia.

The battle between Borom and Braxton at LT should be one of the more interesting ones this summer. I actually like Borom's chances of becoming a reasonably good LT but longer term Braxton may be a better prospect. I thing his playing in an FBS program may have knocked him down a bit in the draft. If he'd played somewhere like Ohio State he's probably a 3rd round pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If he played at Ohio State he’d have been a backup to Petit-Frere.