State of the OL Competitions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ahem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wab
Mod

Lets not do this.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:19 pmLets not do this.
Love to comply but I've been through this before with UOK.

If someone wants to go out of their way to bait me (typically Rich) I'm gonna respond as I did. If you want to debate something then do it. Insult me and you'll get a big old Fuck You every time. I come here to contribute not to engage in circular debates or have my logic challenged by a prick poster.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:13 am
RichH55 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am

Sorry that logic apparently murdered someone in your family

My condolences
You have the capability of being one of the most intelligent posters here yet you keep wasting your time being a prick by baiting me so..... :flick:

Sorry for the brevity but it's all you're worth.
You could try coherent rational logical posts. You have done on it on plenty of occasions.

So you posting better is not just a hypothetical! Thus we can discuss it
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:38 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:13 am

You have the capability of being one of the most intelligent posters here yet you keep wasting your time being a prick by baiting me so..... :flick:

Sorry for the brevity but it's all you're worth.
You could try coherent rational logical posts. You have done on it on plenty of occasions.

So once again you've made yourself the Forum Judge of all that is coherent, rational, and logical huh?

Would you like a long robe to wear and a gavel to wield as well? Or maybe a crown and a throne to sit on?

You aren't worth the time and effort it would take to please you so again..... :flick: you.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I just ignore him Facts. There's an option that lets you do that.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:33 pm I just ignore him Facts. There's an option that lets you do that.
Yogi's issue is more math than logic at least though. I think math is a different ignore button.

Yogi is still claiming it was an injury that did Matt Barkley in and jury is still out on Mariotta (and probably Akili Smith - this could be his year!)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:41 pm
RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:38 pm

So once again you've made yourself the Forum Judge of all that is coherent, rational, and logical huh?

Would you like a long robe to wear and a gavel to wield as well? Or maybe a crown and a throne to sit on?

You aren't worth the time and effort it would take to please you so again..... :flick: you.
I could pull off the long robe

Not as well as Ark though
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:33 pm I just ignore him Facts. There's an option that lets you do that.
Already done Yogi. Now he's just an old man yelling at the clouds....... :mrgreen:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

We now return to our scheduled programme...
Rookie LT Braxton Jones gets his shot at Bears OTA

Every coach says “the best players will play,” but that NFL cliche seems more real than ever under Eberflus. And the portion of the practice open to the media Wednesday provided another example. Rookie Braxton Jones was at left tackle and Larry Borom at right tackle with the first-team offense, while Teven Jenkins, a 2021 second-round pick and presumed starter at either tackle position, lined up with the second team.

Just part of the process, Eberflus reiterated after practice. But it’s an indication that everybody has a shot on this team. The Bears opened the offseason with Borom at left tackle and Jenkins at right tackle — which is still a likely Week 1 combination.

Borom, a 2021 fifth-round draft pick, started eight games as a rookie. Jenkins, started two games after recovering from preseason back surgery. But when Eberflus says open competition, he means it.

“Early on in OTAs . . . we said, ‘Hey, we’re going to move guys around,’ ’’ Eberflus said. “So it’s the halfway point for us. We made the switch, and we wanted to change combinations.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... hot-at-ota
And from a similar article:
Braxton Jones works with Bears' No. 1 offense

"We're just trying to find the best combinations of people, especially when you're looking at the offensive line," Eberflus said. "Who's the best five guys out there so we can succeed? And it creates competition when you do that, when you're moving guys around. Who can function at different spots and who can really execute?"

Eberflus stressed that the Bears have been shifting players around at several positions, not just along the offensive line.

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/braxt ... -1-offense
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Eberflus stressed that the Bears have been shifting players around at several positions, not just along the offensive line.

So the question becomes, "When does Tonga get his QB tryout?" :D

He'd be even bigger than Lorenzen:

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

No discussion of Teven Jenkins being moved to 2nd team RT with Borom flipping to RT and Braxton Jones playing LT with the 1's? It might be a whole lot of nothing, such as JJ playing with the backups initially, but not any more. But for such a young player who switched positions from last year, it seems a bit more concerning, doesn't it?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Mikefive wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:41 pm No discussion of Teven Jenkins being moved to 2nd team RT with Borom flipping to RT and Braxton Jones playing LT with the 1's? It might be a whole lot of nothing, such as JJ playing with the backups initially, but not any more. But for such a young player who switched positions from last year, it seems a bit more concerning, doesn't it?
Yes it is. To a degree of course because we know there’s a lot of spots up for grabs on the OL. Might be just a look at combinations before TC, but with how we’ve moved Jenkins around (& his high draft stock) definitely worth discussing.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
rtd
Practice Squad

What this shows is the rookies are going to get a real shot at playing time. Nothing more. Jenkins will start at RT but dont be surprised if Jones is the LT.
Bearfacts
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:41 pm No discussion of Teven Jenkins being moved to 2nd team RT with Borom flipping to RT and Braxton Jones playing LT with the 1's? It might be a whole lot of nothing, such as JJ playing with the backups initially, but not any more. But for such a young player who switched positions from last year, it seems a bit more concerning, doesn't it?
Flus has addressed this and other movements and it's not a demotion.

If Jones becomes the starting LT then Borom would in all probability become the Swing OT so they want to see him at RT and LT.

You have to figure that the odds of making it through an entire season with the same five starters we began with means we got luckier than hell injury wise. They're using the OTA to get looks at as many potential starters and primary backups as they can moving them around a bit just to get a handle of how easily they can shift to another position. It's not a reflection on Jenkins.
IE
Hall of Famer

Why do people look so hard for problems, when the reality is they probably really like all or most of the guys they have & are looking at this as a good opportunity to see how they look in different groups?

This is a positive story, and it can't be a concern that the coaches are wanting to give multiple qualified guys a level playing field to earn it. It benefits everyone except guys who might loaf. It is OTAs. And it is a new regime and a really new mix of players.
\
My prediction since Jones was drafted: Even though I like Borom and think he already proved he can be adequate at LT, I think Jones will eventually beat him out because of his upside. And a healthy Jenk is a beast on the right & we can all assume he'll be starting there (again if he is healthy). I believe Borom will end up being a fine swing tackle, and maybe sooner rather than later.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

These are OTAs. Trying different OL combinations is just due diligence.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:57 am Why do people look so hard for problems, when the reality is they probably really like all or most of the guys they have & are looking at this as a good opportunity to see how they look in different groups?

This is a positive story, and it can't be a concern that the coaches are wanting to give multiple qualified guys a level playing field to earn it. It benefits everyone except guys who might loaf. It is OTAs. And it is a new regime and a really new mix of players.
\
My prediction since Jones was drafted: Even though I like Borom and think he already proved he can be adequate at LT, I think Jones will eventually beat him out because of his upside. And a healthy Jenk is a beast on the right & we can all assume he'll be starting there (again if he is healthy). I believe Borom will end up being a fine swing tackle, and maybe sooner rather than later.
Certainly a better approach than Nagy used for Justin Fields who didn't get any time at all with the ones and then was left to fend for himself in his first start.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:49 am
IE wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:57 am Why do people look so hard for problems, when the reality is they probably really like all or most of the guys they have & are looking at this as a good opportunity to see how they look in different groups?

\
Certainly a better approach than Nagy used for Justin Fields who didn't get any time at all with the ones and then was left to fend for himself in his first start.
No doubt, man. That is at the forefront of my mind when I observe everything the current regime is doing. Nagy said he learned some lessons and indeed he may have. But it was definitely out our expense and the expense of the players. He was in his 4th effing year. Brutal.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I don't think Jenkins working out with the 2s is a nothingburger.

If you're trying to get Borom work on the right side, you play him with the 2s to get that work in, not in place of your presumptive starter.

I don't know that it's anything more than a mirror of the Jaylon Johnson demotion, but it's almost certainly not "nothing."
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Heinz D.
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:58 pm I don't think Jenkins working out with the 2s is a nothingburger.

If you're trying to get Borom work on the right side, you play him with the 2s to get that work in, not in place of your presumptive starter.
It's clearly not a "nothingburger"--although I must add that I've grown to DESPISE that term.

The root of all this? Braxton Jones is gonna be really good. So, whatever ends up happening is most likely a positive for Bears fans.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:18 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:58 pm I don't think Jenkins working out with the 2s is a nothingburger.

It's clearly not a "nothingburger"--although I must add that I've grown to DESPISE that term.

The root of all this? Braxton Jones is gonna be really good. So, whatever ends up happening is most likely a positive for Bears fans.
Along the same line, I'm sure many of you guys will enjoy this which Youtube recommended to me...
[video][/video]
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfacts
MVP

I don't know that it's anything more than a mirror of the Jaylon Johnson demotion, but it's almost certainly not "nothing."
Flus has never described it this way even with Johnson. He called it an initial conditioning issue and now Johnson is playing with the #1 unit.

If by chance Braxton Jones has a good shot at beating out Borom at LT then maybe Borom competes with Jenkins at RT and whoever loses that battle becomes the Swing OT. This is still OTA and IMHO what Flus is saying is accurate. They just want to get a look at everyone they can who has starting potential to see where their best fit is.

If Borom is getting most of the first team reps at RT during camp that would mean far more than this. This is more like casting characters for a movie where an actor may read for more than one part before the director and producer decide which role to cast him in or whether to cast him at all. I wouldn't read anything into it beyond that.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

What would be an interesting tidbit is if Jenkins was seen playing some RG, with Jones at LT and Borom at RT.
I don't see Eberflus as a psychological mastermind al la Parcells, so I'm not reading too much into Jenkins on the 2nd team
Could be some basic team rules that got neglected and he ran with the 2's for a day as a slap on the wrist. (maybe showed a lack of hustle on a play and Flus is sending "the message"?)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The current coaches and management didn't select Borom, Jenkins, etc. and might be more willing to make changes they see necessary. Seems like all positions are going to be subject to training camp competition, which is the way it should.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I would be massively disappointed if Jenkins isn’t a starter - but I’m not reading much into this. My guess is it’s a motivational move.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:05 am I would be massively disappointed if Jenkins isn’t a starter - but I’m not reading much into this. My guess is it’s a motivational move.
I forgot to quote @Bearfacts earlier (my bad) but I think he's most likely right. The coaches now think that there is a real chance that Jones wins the LT spot, and if that happens, they're going tp make Borom the swing tackle. So they needed to see how Jones and Borom looked, playing at the same time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'd agree with this if you took the word "now" out, which implies they've seen something already that's changed their mind in some way. That, is absolute poppycock IMO. I do think heading into camp that every position on the OL, and most elsewhere on the team except maybe QB, is a competition and the best player will play. Poles/Flus have no allegiance to anyone on the current roster and are free to evaluate with fresh eyes and no prior baggage. So I'm sure Jones has a shot as does everyone else, I believe that this was the course that was set Day 1 on Poles/Flus watch. I don't read anything into any of this stuff going on right now, this is the time to tinker around with things. Once camp hits, you should have an idea and have guys playing in their positions to create cohesiveness. At that point, if you aren't first string you'll need to beat the man in front of you - which I believe nearly everyone on the roster will have an opportunity to do. If there's a promotion / demotion during full camp in August, I'll pay attention at that point.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:06 am I'd agree with this if you took the word "now" out, which implies they've seen something already that's changed their mind in some way. That, is absolute poppycock IMO.
Huh? How so?

Jones is a guy from a small school who didn't always play the best competition...and he may not even have always had the best coaching, either. The staff undoubtedly has a bunch of things they want Jones to work on so as to improve his game, give him a chance to be an important piece, or even make the team. Maybe Jones is simply learning quickly? Not unheard of at all. And the sign of a good player, btw.

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:06 am Poles/Flus have no allegiance to anyone on the current roster and are free to evaluate with fresh eyes and no prior baggage. So I'm sure Jones has a shot as does everyone else, I believe that this was the course that was set Day 1 on Poles/Flus watch. I don't read anything into any of this stuff going on right now, this is the time to tinker around with things.
Absolutely. And that's how it should be, particularly when you're rebuilding. Another example of how Eberflus is showing us he's the anti-Nagy. Why Thomas Graham didn't play until the very end of last season will always remain a mystery.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:03 pm Absolutely. And that's how it should be, particularly when you're rebuilding. Another example of how Eberflus is showing us he's the anti-Nagy. Why Thomas Graham didn't play until the very end of last season will always remain a mystery.
The even bigger mystery is why, having allowed just 2 completions for 10 yards on 4 targets, defensed 3 passes (presumably one was on a pass not even targeting him) and made 7 tackles in his Week 14 debut when he played 100% of the defensive snaps and then allowed 3 completions for 53 yards on 7 targets with another pass defensed and 4 tackles (3 solo) playing just 68% of snaps in Week 15, Graham only played 10 defensive snaps total in the final two meaningless games against the hapless Giants and the Vikings.

Hopefully Eberflus will reward players who perform with more playing time not slash it to a bare minimum. What a novel concept that would be in Chicago.