Bears sign WRs Tajae Sharpe and Dante Pettis

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:17 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:02 pm Two weeks ago some were criticizing Poles for not having drafted or signed enough talent at WR. So he adds two younger vets and now some want to criticize who he signed? :frustrated:
Yes? The level of talent he signed or didn’t sign is literally the point. You might want to rethink this one bud.

If he signed Cheech and Chong would that matter? 😂
Let's not go that far. I mean I know bud is now legal in Illinois but those dudes are like me man......old phuc'ers. :rofl:

But before I leave this discussion tell me who we should have signed instead?

If we can come to accept that Mooney and Pringle are our #1 and #2 WR. And that those we signed will be competing with others for the #3-#5 slots who would you sign for those roles and for how much? I'll just come right and say Poles isn't gonna get a "name brand" player for what he's willing to spend. At least not right now. So he's doing what he should do. Adding some vet depth and competition for the lower roster spots. He's not looking for a #1 or even a #2 WR right now. He believes he already has them.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m coming around to it TBH, my inner homer has a timer on it and I start seeing things with rose colored glasses. My issue isnt our depth it’s our lack of premier talent at either WR or TE.

But my positive view is that I expect us to commit to the run game, and with that you need WRs and TEs that can block. We have that. And I do like Mooney and Pringle, I’d just like them better as our 2 and 3 rather than our 1 and 2. And I like Fields a lot and I loved the Getsy hire and have really high hopes for him. If Jones can step in and make big plays for us (which is what we lack IMO), it really could work.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:04 pm I’m coming around to it TBH, my inner homer has a timer on it and I start seeing things with rose colored glasses. My issue isnt our depth it’s our lack of premier talent at either WR or TE.

But my positive view is that I expect us to commit to the run game, and with that you need WRs and TEs that can block. We have that. And I do like Mooney and Pringle, I’d just like them better as our 2 and 3 rather than our 1 and 2. And I like Fields a lot and I loved the Getsy hire and have really high hopes for him. If Jones can step in and make big plays for us (which is what we lack IMO), it really could work.
More so than needing WR's and TE's that can block. You need an offensive line that can block. There's nothing to indicate that we have that.

Committing your offense primarily to the run game also = trying to win a super bowl with one arm tied behind your back. So, let's hope that is not this regime's plan.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:21 pm
dplank wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:04 pm I’m coming around to it TBH, my inner homer has a timer on it and I start seeing things with rose colored glasses. My issue isnt our depth it’s our lack of premier talent at either WR or TE.

More so than needing WR's and TE's that can block. You need an offensive line that can block. There's nothing to indicate that we have that.

Committing your offense primarily to the run game also = trying to win a super bowl with one arm tied behind your back. So, let's hope that is not this regime's plan.
I don't know it's the long term plan, but I tend to agree it looks like it's the 22 plan.
Bearfacts
MVP

That's why there are no current plans to win a Super Bowl this season. It's now back to the basics of building a winning football team.

Poles took the path of least resistance and drafted for his secondary early then add some offensive talent at WR and OL who have some significant upside potential. But are they ready to play at their highest level yet? No. But they are gonna play and that experience should prove invaluable in 2022 and beyond. We may lose a few more games in the short run but to me that's no big deal.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 pm That's why there are no current plans to win a Super Bowl this season. It's now back to the basics of building a winning football team.

Poles took the path of least resistance and drafted for his secondary early then add some offensive talent at WR and OL who have some significant upside potential. But are they ready to play at their highest level yet? No. But they are gonna play and that experience should prove invaluable in 2022 and beyond. We may lose a few more games in the short run but to me that's no big deal.
Your overall assessment is right...but it's not going to result in the Bears losing more games "in the short run".

Wait and see, dude. Wait and see..,
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Richie
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 pm

That's why there are no current plans to win a Super Bowl this season. It's now back to the basics of building a winning football team.

I agree. I expect nothing this year. Other than the fact that I am holding Fields to a bit of a higher standard than last year.

I am talking about the overall vision for this regime. If they envision the 2023 and beyond Chicago Bears being a "run first" offense. That's concerning to me. Teams like Baltimore and Tennessee who are the best versions of that do well at winning regular season games. However, they struggle when they inevitably have to throw their way to a victory in the postseason against an elite defense and suffer premature postseason exits.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 pm That's why there are no current plans to win a Super Bowl this season. It's now back to the basics of building a winning football team.

Your overall assessment is right...but it's not going to result in the Bears losing more games "in the short run".

Wait and see, dude. Wait and see..,
I don't know how many games they win or lose as long as one win is against GB. I don't anyone really know. Vegas as the over/under at 7 1/2 games. To me that could mean 5-9 wins in reality and whatever it is I'll live with it.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 pm I don't know how many games they win or lose as long as one win is against GB. I don't anyone really know. Vegas as the over/under at 7 1/2 games. To me that could mean 5-9 wins in reality and whatever it is I'll live with it.
:-D

Most likely eight to ten wins, I'd say. Better than last year.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 pm I don't know how many games they win or lose as long as one win is against GB. I don't anyone really know. Vegas as the over/under at 7 1/2 games. To me that could mean 5-9 wins in reality and whatever it is I'll live with it.

While on the flip side of that even the Trib writers who are the primary Bears beat people are forecasting 5-6 and maybe a 7th.

One thing we need to prepare for is a very slow start if only because we open with SF at home then GB at Lambeau. Then we get a couple of breathers with Houston at home and the NYG away before Minnesota at Minny and Washington at Soldier Field.

If we can get through those 6 games, roughly 1/3 of our schedule with 3 wins and a .500 record we may also overlook the next three which are road games at NE and Dallas and home against Miami. Looking at schedule to me it's those 3 games (41% of 17 games) that will tell us just how much farther we need to do in order to at least compete for a playoff spot.

If we don't come out of that with at least one win or we lose all three I can't see more than 7 wins total.

The wild card Heinz would be if all of a sudden both the offense and the defense magically begin to light it up because they've thoroughly digested the schemes and are now playing at full speed as "Flus" expects them to. And that could happen. IMHO there's enough talent on both sides of the ball to do that once they really come together as a unit and can play like it. But that takes time.

I have no idea of what Poles objective is other than to guess that it may be about getting younger less experienced players to believe in themselves and that they can and are ready to compete at this level. If Poles succeeds then adds the missing ingredients in 2023 I can foresee on hell of a good football team but it's a process that right now is very incomplete and needs both time and effort.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:43 pm

While on the flip side of that even the Trib writers who are the primary Bears beat people are forecasting 5-6 and maybe a 7th.

One thing we need to prepare for is a very slow start if only because we open with SF at home then GB at Lambeau. Then we get a couple of breathers with Houston at home and the NYG away before Minnesota at Minny and Washington at Soldier Field.

If we can get through those 5 games, roughly 30% of our schedule with 2-3 wins and a .400-.500 record we may also overlook the next three which are road games at NE and Dallas and home against Miami. Looking at the schedule to me it's those 3 games that will tell us just how much farther we need to do in order to at least compete for a playoff spot.

If we don't come out of that with at least one win or we lose all three I can't see more than 7 wins total. We also don't get a bye week to do a reset until week 14 so any adjustments that are needed will have to be done on the fly. We won't have a shot at doing an earlier mid season make over around game 7 or game 8.

The wild card Heinz would be if all of a sudden both the offense and the defense magically begin to light it up because they've thoroughly digested the schemes and are now playing at full speed as "Flus" expects them to. And that could happen. IMHO there's enough talent on both sides of the ball to do that once they really come together as a unit and can play like it. But that takes time.

I have no idea of what Poles objective is other than to guess that it may be about getting younger less experienced players to believe in themselves and that they can and are ready to compete at this level. If Poles succeeds then adds the missing ingredients in 2023 I can foresee on hell of a good football team but it's a process that right now is very incomplete and needs both time and effort.
Bearfacts
MVP

replaced post below.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm replaced post above
Bearfacts
MVP

Duh. :ashamed:
Bearfacts
MVP

Damn!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Football outsiders certainly doesn’t like these moves or our plan in general - yikes. I don’t agree with everything in here, but an awful lot does ring true.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkt ... tin-fields
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm The wild card Heinz would be if all of a sudden both the offense and the defense magically begin to light it up because they've thoroughly digested the schemes and are now playing at full speed as "Flus" expects them to. And that could happen. IMHO there's enough talent on both sides of the ball to do that once they really come together as a unit and can play like it. But that takes time.
Ehhh...wouldn't necessarily be any "magic" to it. Just good coaching. And I think our current staff is, overall, a lot better than our last.
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm replaced post below.
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:29 pm Duh. :ashamed:
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:30 pmDamn!
Are you having an episode, or something? ;)

Should we be calling for assistance? :D
dplank wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:46 pm Football outsiders certainly doesn’t like these moves or our plan in general - yikes. I don’t agree with everything in here, but an awful lot does ring true.

Elaborate?
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:46 pm Football outsiders certainly doesn’t like these moves or our plan in general - yikes. I don’t agree with everything in here, but an awful lot does ring true.

After reading all of about a half dozen paragraphs I quit. Here's a writer who set out to find fault in every way he possibly could so he could write a negative article with a click bait header knowing full we it will attract tons of push back as well as other complainers. All he does is minimize every move Poles has made. Talk about being a "hater".

And you say you have issues with Erik Lambert and Jonathan Woods?

All this guy did was collect every negative anyone here or elsewhere has already written about this and simply plagiarize from that to create his own article. Christ, let's just raise the white flag now. Let's play Siemian like we did with Dalton until we get a sure thing #1 WR and two OT who can pass block like an impenetrable barrier.

IMHO most of the negativity I see actually comes from reading stuff like this and believing it somehow comes from God's mouth straight to your ears. This guys glass is not only empty it has a sand like residue at the bottom of the glass. Great opener but somehow these guys always play run and hide whenever they're wrong and never ever print a retraction or an "I was wrong".

I flush better crap than this down my toilet every day.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 pm

After reading all of about a half dozen paragraphs I quit. Here's a writer who set out to find fault in every way he possibly could so he could write a negative article with a click bait header knowing full we it will attract tons of push back as well as other complainers. All he does is minimize every move Poles has made. Talk about being a "hater".

And you say you have issues with Erik Lambert and Jonathan Woods?

All this guy did was collect every negative anyone here or elsewhere has already written about this and simply plagiarize from that to create his own article. Christ, let's just raise the white flag now. Let's play Siemian like we did with Dalton until we get a sure thing #1 WR and two OT who can pass block like an impenetrable barrier.

IMHO most of the negativity I see actually comes from reading stuff like this and believing it somehow comes from God's mouth straight to your ears. (not yours personally) This guys glass is not only empty it has a sand like residue at the bottom of the glass. Great opener but somehow these guys always play run and hide whenever they're wrong and never ever print a retraction or an "I was wrong".

I flush better crap than this down my toilet every day.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:07 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 pm The wild card Heinz would be if all of a sudden both the offense and the defense magically begin to light it up because they've thoroughly digested the schemes and are now playing at full speed as "Flus" expects them to. And that could happen. IMHO there's enough talent on both sides of the ball to do that once they really come together as a unit and can play like it. But that takes time.
Ehhh...wouldn't necessarily be any "magic" to it. Just good coaching. And I think our current staff is, overall, a lot better than our last.
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm replaced post below.
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:29 pm Duh. :ashamed:
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:30 pmDamn!
Are you having an episode, or something? ;)

Should we be calling for assistance? :D
Nah, just failing to execute edits properly.

That's a problem I have with being so very right so often. I have had very little practice making corrections. :backout: :rofl:
Bearfacts
MVP

These are two very important additions to the Bears Million Dollar Receiver Core.

Altogether they cost us less than a million dollars. Who knew you could get NFL WR at the Dollar Store? LOL

Look, just keep reminding yourselves; "It's a numbers game this year".

When you throw 90 guys out there most of whom are either on a one year prove yourself deal or they're NFL rookies and UDFA you're gonna get some good along with the bad. Some will rise like cream while others will sink like the Moskva but not intentionally as opposed to two direct missile hits. This isn't Russia. All of our news is 100% accurate and free from constant lies or propaganda. :rofl:
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 pm These are two very important additions to the Bears Million Dollar Receiver Core.

Altogether they cost us less than a million dollars. Who knew you could get NFL WR at the Dollar Store? LOL

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Mooney is cheap because he's still on his rookie contract, either.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:33 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 pm These are two very important additions to the Bears Million Dollar Receiver Core.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Mooney is cheap because he's still on his rookie contract, either.
Mooney's 2022 salary is $895K and Pringle's is $1.9 mil. How many other NFL teams can boast their #1 and #2 WR are costing them only $2.8 mil combined. Can you believe that EQ St. Brown at $965k makes more than Mooney?

If we add another three who'll make the roster earning similar one year vet minimum deals of around $1 mil our entire WR core is only costing us around $7 mil. Talk about living for a year on a beer budget this is it brother.

Can you imagine what would happen if the Bears ever made a deep playoff run with this bunch? As much of a copy cat league as the NFL is would every other NFL team cut their high priced WR and sign half a dozen guys for $1 mil each? LOL