New WRs Pettis and Sharpe highlights

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Post Reply
User avatar
LT2_3
Practice Squad
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

First off Pettis. I like this guy. He can Juke people at full speed.



Now Sharpe. Not enough tape imo.

User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Was there another WR named Pettis? This actually isn’t the guy I thought it was. Too much weed maybe 🤔
User avatar
LT2_3
Practice Squad
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 pm Was there another WR named Pettis? This actually isn’t the guy I thought it was. Too much weed maybe 🤔
I am forced to trust that the guy making these videos for youtube has actually checked that he has the right guys. :)
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1842
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

LT2_3 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm First off Pettis. I like this guy. He can Juke people at full speed.



Now Sharpe. Not enough tape imo.

They're 5th or 6th WR's for any team that isn't totally desperate.

Pettis was really good... in college. He had 739 yards receiving over 4 years in the NFL.

I don't know what you mean by "not enough tape" on Sharpe. He's been in the league for 5 seasons. He's played 66 games. He has a ton of tape. He's just not very good.
User avatar
Bearfacts
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am
Location: Colorado

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 pm Was there another WR named Pettis? This actually isn’t the guy I thought it was. Too much weed maybe 🤔
You mean there really IS such a thing? Who da' thunk it.

Note to self; Be more restrained from now on thereby saving brain cells. :rofl:
User avatar
Bearfacts
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am
Location: Colorado

LT2_3 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm First off Pettis. I like this guy. He can Juke people at full speed.



Now Sharpe. Not enough tape imo.

What's not to like?

Pettis shows good speed and elusiveness and good hands. Maybe more of a slot guy or a Z type.

Sharpe's NFL scouting report is very encouraging. He has decent size, length, and route running skills so he's competition for EQ on the outside playing as an X WR. Scouting report actually compliments his precision running his routes.

I've suspected these are the kind of vets Poles would bring in while passing on older higher priced talent. Better than rookies with no NFL experience these guys actually have NFL starts and stats and they hung in the NFL for 6-7 years. So here's a question for those who feel our WR core is really bad.

Are these guys better than say a Javon Wims? A Riley Ridley? An Anthony Miller. A Ted Ginn Jr? So we've had worse.

No one is seeing them as more than potential contributors who may make the final 53 based on experience and at least some previous production. All of the competition is now for the #3-#5 or #6 WR spots and that's about where these guys fit. If nothing else they may provide some decent vet depth while Poles keeps searching to upgrade even more.

I don't mind the additions.
User avatar
Moriarty
Head Coach
Posts: 3972
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 am
I've suspected these are the kind of vets Poles would bring in while passing on older higher priced talent. Better than rookies with no NFL experience these guys actually have NFL starts and stats and they hung in the NFL for 6-7 years. So here's a question for those who feel our WR core is really bad.

Are these guys better than say a Javon Wims? A Riley Ridley? An Anthony Miller. A Ted Ginn Jr? So we've had worse.

No one is seeing them as more than potential contributors who may make the final 53 based on experience and at least some previous production. All of the competition is now for the #3-#5 or #6 WR spots and that's about where these guys fit. If nothing else they may provide some decent vet depth while Poles keeps searching to upgrade even more.
Javon Wims?
Yes
Riley Ridley?
Who knows? Never got to be active because he couldn't contribute on special teams
Anthony Miller?
No
Ted Ginn Jr?
Yes

But that's really all irrelevant. Except for Miller, all of those guys ended up at the bottom of the depth chart.
So, yes, our WR6 or WR5 this year might be better than some previous years.
Their importance is a grain of sand, compared to a sand castle.
WR1-4 is what matters and where this team is weak.
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 am I don't mind the additions.
I don't mind them, either.
But let's not pretend that they're going to fix this WR group.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
User avatar
thunderspirit
Head Coach
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL

Moriarty wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:46 pm
I don't mind them, either.
But let's not pretend that they're going to fix this WR group.
It's a fair cop, but at the same time, it's also fair that not much this year was going to "fix" that position.

I do expect Pringle to outperform his contract, bur then again that shouldn't be difficult to do. I have zero expectations for Velus Jones Jr from scrimmage or for Equanimious St. Brown from anywhere, so that leaves plenty of room for Sharpe to become Kendall Wright for a year or for Pettis to stay on the field for once.
KFFL refugee.
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:54 pm Poles went to a nice steakhouse, ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and is stuffing the bread rolls in his pockets for later. Poles is basically my mom.
User avatar
Bearfacts
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 am
Location: Colorado

Moriarty wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:46 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 am
I've suspected these are the kind of vets Poles would bring in while passing on older higher priced talent. Better than rookies with no NFL experience these guys actually have NFL starts and stats and they hung in the NFL for 6-7 years. So here's a question for those who feel our WR core is really bad.

Are these guys better than say a Javon Wims? A Riley Ridley? An Anthony Miller. A Ted Ginn Jr? So we've had worse.

No one is seeing them as more than potential contributors who may make the final 53 based on experience and at least some previous production. All of the competition is now for the #3-#5 or #6 WR spots and that's about where these guys fit. If nothing else they may provide some decent vet depth while Poles keeps searching to upgrade even more.
Javon Wims?
Yes
Riley Ridley?
Who knows? Never got to be active because he couldn't contribute on special teams
Anthony Miller?
No
Ted Ginn Jr?
Yes

But that's really all irrelevant. Except for Miller, all of those guys ended up at the bottom of the depth chart.
So, yes, our WR6 or WR5 this year might be better than some previous years.
Their importance is a grain of sand, compared to a sand castle.
WR1-4 is what matters and where this team is weak.
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 am I don't mind the additions.
I don't mind them, either.
But let's not pretend that they're going to fix this WR group.
Check out Pettis' TD ratio based on his number of receptions. Only 52 receptions but 9 are TDs. That's one in every 5.8 catches.

Miller may have bettered that in his rookie year with one in every 4.7 catches but after that he fell off pretty fast. At worst I'd call Pettis and Miller about even and Sharpe is in somewhat the same basic category.

And I never said or even implied these guys were signed to "fix" anything. They're here to compete for the #3-#6 WR spots. Mooney and Pringle are #1 and #2 for now. Gimme your best guess for WR #3-#6.
Post Reply