Where are you getting your Bears news these days?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Der
Rookie

Seems like most of the Bears news is behind paywalls these days. Where are you all consuming your content? Man I miss Cone's daily postings.
wab
Mod

The Athletic is worth the money. Otherwise I sift through Twitter (in spite of my infinite hatred for it). Yardbarker is ok sometimes.
Xee
Site Admin

I pretty much wait to see info here or on the Bears subreddit. I have an Athletic subscription but just don't have the time now to read full-length articles much. And I miss Cone's posts as well though the last time I saw them was back in the Webway Monsters days.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:10 pm I pretty much wait to see info here or on the Bears subreddit. I have an Athletic subscription but just don't have the time now to read full-length articles much. And I miss Cone's posts as well though the last time I saw them was back in the Webway Monsters days.
Yeah that’s me, I come here :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Either YouTube (no specific channel other than the official Bears channel) and then here.

I can't stand 99% of sportcasters or sports media personalities.

The only one that I look forward to is Tony Romo who in my mind is the second greatest football broadcaster of all time behind John Madden.
dave99
Assistant Coach

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/
Some of the daily "Bears Den" links are behind a paywall, but there are other free stories and the podcasts can be good
https://www.dabearsblog.com/
Some like it others not so much.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears
Sometimes interesting, often not.
https://bearswire.usatoday.com/
Free with occasional tidbits
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/
Not much love for this site, but probably worth perusal.

I second the notion that The Athletic is worth the price of admission.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Eriebear
Journeyman

I still chat with Conehead and a few old timers at Monstershow. (Road , Cane89 , Hampton99, etc.) I also like "The Tape Never Lies" w/ Phil O and Wasram. Once in a while during Games GO8 comes in. Good Times!
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't really consider there to be much Bear news at all, other than the occasional transaction. All the sources right now are just outlets trying to squeeze every drop of off season content they can out of the same tired stories/takes, or people really no different than us engaging in speculation and repetitive rumor-circulation (especially Twitter, where even "industry insiders" don't really have news). So I take it all with a grain of salt right now. Then as soon as camp starts we can start hearing new information from reliable 3rd parties (usually pretty mainstream journalists) who witness things in camp.

Don't get me wrong - I'll consume any Bears content right about now and will read anything. It just isn't remotely news.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

I've abandoned twitter, but that is probably the best place for the to-the-second news. Brad Biggs, Adam Hoge, Adam Jahns, and whoever else is covering the Bears beat these days.

Here's my Twitter list of useful follows, just in case that interests you.

I am an Athletic subscriber, but I always go to cancel at the end of the year to renew at a bottom-dollar price.

Otherwise the r/CHIBears subreddit is...fine. Those guys are mostly cantankerous assholes there, but maybe that's your flavor.
Der
Rookie

Eriebear wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm I still chat with Conehead and a few old timers at Monstershow. (Road , Cane89 , Hampton99, etc.) I also like "The Tape Never Lies" w/ Phil O and Wasram. Once in a while during Games GO8 comes in. Good Times!
Wasram always had good stuff. Phil not so much. Can't remember the particulars but I seem to recall him getting caught in a pretty big lie about something.

Looks like you all are in the same boat I am. I liked the Athletic but canceled after they got bought by the NYT. I've got Bleacher Report, Bleacher Nation, and Yardbarker in my newsfeed but I find it all to be pretty homerish and reads like Tims wrote it.

Thanks for the links y'all.👍 😎
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:40 pm I am an Athletic subscriber, but I always go to cancel at the end of the year to renew at a bottom-dollar price.
I should do this, but a) I'm kinda lazy and b) I still feel like I get $5/month value out of it so I should keep it.
UOK wrote:Otherwise the r/CHIBears subreddit is...fine. Those guys are mostly cantankerous assholes there, but maybe that's your flavor.
If by "fine" you mean "a steaming cesspool of negativity," then yeah. (I am not a fan, LOL)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I make it up. ;)

Would get the Athletic, but I absolutely won't support the NYT.

Stuck with Twitter for most of my stuff. :puke: Maybe I should just make it up.

I do miss Conehead.
cblaz11
MVP

Bears Barroom has a show with Greg Gabriel, I really enjoy that.

Tape never lies has some great content, unfortunately Phil is a bit much and I can’t stand Bearlisimo. Guy thinks he’s working for the franchise….

Hoge and Jahns pod is one of the best.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I follow all the Bears writers on Twitter and a bunch of non credentialed Twitter media types like TTNL, 3 Kings, Kollman, Gabriel, etc. yea, even Lambert lol. Basically anyone who has detailed Bears takes, not just surfacey stuff.

The add in the Athletic, SunTimes, and most national NFL talking heads.
Bearfacts
MVP

From all over. The Athletic has Adam Jahns and Kevin Fishbain both of whom I consider to write honest informative pieces. Dan Pompei also chimes in from time to time and also has developed a good rep over the years. Other than that pretty much all over.

The Trib, SunTimes, WCG, Bears Wire, Sports Mockery, and others. I read a whole lot of columns, articles, and opinions and also like the analytical stuff Jonathan Wood posts on Da Bears Blog.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I follow Jonathan Wood too but have found him as annoying as Lambert lately
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:26 pm I follow Jonathan Wood too but have found him as annoying as Lambert lately
Haven't seen much from him of late. He's generally more active during the season than the offseason.

Who do you enjoy then?
Last edited by Bearfacts on Tue May 17, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Youtube and forums.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I Google "Chicago Bears". Then click the news tab. Then sort by date.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Cone spoiled us. It was like having a news finding robot.

:grovel: Conehead
Bearfacts
MVP

It's not hard locating post-worthy news but since UOK requests we restrict copy and pasting certain stuff that may be copyright protected we miss out on a lot as well. I've posted full pieces on other sites on which I have been on staff and an admin for years and never had a challenge based on infringement. Why?

Because there is a Fair Use provision of copyright laws that any forum like this one can depend upon for protection from copyright infringement by posting a simple disclaimer about how the material is used and that it is not being used for commercial purposes but is used for commentary, teaching, critique, etc. These actions are considered “transformative” uses of the copyrighted work, as opposed to simply presenting the work as your own. But to be fair include a link giving credit to the author and source.

Note; Generally, courts will deem cases as fair use as long as the user did not intend to use the copyrighted material to make profits.

https://termly.io/resources/articles/fa ... isclaimers

And a further note. The opinions expressed are my own and are based on rather lengthy experience posting news articles in sports forum and not necessarily the opinion of management ie; UOK. I have chosen personally not to violate that request.
UOK
Site Admin

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:32 am It's not hard locating post-worthy news but since UOK requests we restrict copy and pasting certain stuff that may be copyright protected we miss out on a lot as well. I've posted full pieces on other sites on which I have been on staff and an admin for years and never had a challenge based on infringement. Why?

Because there is a Fair Use provision of copyright laws that any forum like this one can depend upon for protection from copyright infringement by posting a simple disclaimer about how the material is used and that it is not being used for commercial purposes but is used for commentary, teaching, critique, etc. These actions are considered “transformative” uses of the copyrighted work, as opposed to simply presenting the work as your own. But to be fair include a link giving credit to the author and source.

Note; Generally, courts will deem cases as fair use as long as the user did not intend to use the copyrighted material to make profits.

And a further note. The opinions expressed are my own and are based on rather lengthy experience posting news articles in sports forum and not necessarily the opinion of management ie; UOK. I have chosen personally not to violate that request.
Our terms says it’s OK to use snippets or pieces from paywalled material as long as a link to the whole article is provided. We have been contacted in the past when members have pasted entire paywalled articles in threads.

We have also had members paste entire paywalled articles onto third-party-hosted text files, and that is certainly not allowed.

If you like the material, pay for it. It’s inexpensive and the quality, particularly The Athletic, is worth the fee.

If you want to circumvent paywalls and flash some legal arguments when your hosting provider questions why they’re receiving complaints, do that on your own forum.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:02 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:32 am It's not hard locating post-worthy news but since UOK requests we restrict copy and pasting certain stuff that may be copyright protected we miss out on a lot as well. I've posted full pieces on other sites on which I have been on staff and an admin for years and never had a challenge based on infringement. Why?

Our terms says it’s OK to use snippets or pieces from paywalled material as long as a link to the whole article is provided. We have been contacted in the past when members have pasted entire paywalled articles in threads.

We have also had members paste entire paywalled articles onto third-party-hosted text files, and that is certainly not allowed.

If you like the material, pay for it. It’s inexpensive and the quality, particularly The Athletic, is worth the fee.

If you want to circumvent paywalls and flash some legal arguments when your hosting provider questions why they’re receiving complaints, do that on your own forum.
As one of the guys who's inadvertently gone afoul of the rules: their house, their rules.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:02 am

I believe I already addressed this in my post so your comment wasn't really necessary was it? And I'd be more than happy to engage anyone who objects on the subject of Fair Use. It's really not that complicated as it relates to a site like this. It's very existence is based on most of what Fair Use permits; non-commercial commentary, discussion, critique, education, etc.

And.....I do subscribe to The Athletic and to the Chicago Tribune. Those are two pay sites that tend to have more in depth Bears info that would interest fans. For years I posted Brad Biggs Ten Things with nary a whisper of a complaint and I have always posted a link and included the authors name and the source the material was taken from so they are credited.

If I'm paying for the right to read the material I should also have the right to share that material with others subject to the rules and/or guidelines of Fair Use. In fact by posting that material I'm actually promoting the pay site itself since there is far more to be read than I have ever posted and others may also elect to subscribe to get it's entire content.

In reality it's little different than simply posting a snippet of something that can't be read in it's entirety without spending the money to subscribe. That can be frustrating and in it's own way the poster may unknowingly be shilling for that publication by indirectly encouraging others to subscribe right? If I want to read a more than a snippet I have to pay up don't I?

Sources may complain if they wish. I have no control over that but they will never file a copyright infringement suit because unless a site like this was benefiting commercially they have no case and they know it. So it's little more than sabre rattling. The kind that's traditionally done with a letter from their legal dept. or a law firm intended to bully someone into complying.

So I am following your guidelines but I'm also stating a case that I've researched myself as an admin for another forum that began in 2004 long before this one. It's not against the law for a source to complain or even threaten but I am 100% positive that's all that will ever happen because they would not spend their money to fight something they know they can't win.

Peace.
UOK
Site Admin

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am So I am following your guidelines but I'm also stating a case that I've researched myself as an admin for another forum that began in 2004 long before this one. It's not against the law for a source to complain or even threaten but I am 100% positive that's all that will ever happen because they would not spend their money to fight something they know they can't win.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Back to who to follow thread….in reverse…..Jim McMahon started following me this morning 🐻⬇️
Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:51 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:15 am So I am following your guidelines but I'm also stating a case that I've researched myself as an admin for another forum that began in 2004 long before this one. It's not against the law for a source to complain or even threaten but I am 100% positive that's all that will ever happen because they would not spend their money to fight something they know they can't win.

Aw come on man......you can do better than this. At least send me a Smoking Jay. LOL
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:04 pm Back to who to follow thread….in reverse…..Jim McMahon started following me this morning 🐻⬇️
Be careful and watch out for head butts. :stretcher:
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

dave99 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:06 pm https://www.windycitygridiron.com/
Some of the daily "Bears Den" links are behind a paywall, but there are other free stories and the podcasts can be good
https://www.dabearsblog.com/
Some like it others not so much.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears
Sometimes interesting, often not.
https://bearswire.usatoday.com/
Free with occasional tidbits
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/
Not much love for this site, but probably worth perusal.

I second the notion that The Athletic is worth the price of admission.
I have most of these sites in my RSS feed, along with more general sites like ProFootballTalk, FootballOutsiders, ProFootballFocus, etc
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
malagabears
Journeyman

What do you peeps think of Aaron Leming over Windy City Gridiron? He puts out occasionally ok material.