OTA news

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

I know nothing but it looks like Getsy is trying to get Fields to get rid of the little hitch/hop he takes before he throws, after his feet are planted.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Every second counts
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

lol
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Eberflus also volunteered that Kyler Gordon was lightning it up.
Heinz D.
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:37 pm Eberflus also volunteered that Kyler Gordon was lightning it up.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
IE
Hall of Famer

I watched every second of those videos last night - loved it. Patrick looks like a real leader. Dom Robinson is a cool/smart guy. Trevor looks like a great pickup at QB2. Jaylon is funny he is so annoyed by the questions he gets asked. Alan Williams was interesting and sort of funny... seems like a good guy and sharp guy but he contradicted himself constantly (e.g. "we treat them all the same and start from scratch with each player" and then a bit later "we have a plan for every player / everyone has their own plan").

I really like Flus. He's coming across less and less coachy to me, and seems like a really candid, authentic guy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:17 pm
Kid has incredible touch. That isn't taught. Footwork can be taught/improved, but if the depth perception and touch aren't there forget it. JF1 has it.
IE
Hall of Famer

Getsy JF1 working

Xee
Site Admin

Not exactly OTA related but it happened during the time frame:

Bearfacts
MVP

Gordon and Brisker will be on board quickly as well. No one is holding out any longer since the NFL went to slotting picks so that there is now sliding scale where the deal is based on your draft position. You get what you get based on that alone.

Other than that about all these OTA can tell us is whose not doing as well as expected or whose not seen as a fit now that the coaches have had a chance to work with them. Guys will be released. Others will be brought in and it will pretty much stay this way 'til camp begins. By then I expect Poles to have made several more moves like he did signing Shon Coleman.

I know Getsy and Janocko have been working with Fields on cleaning up some of his mechanics and focusing more on ball protection but we won't know how well that's worked out or the growth in his ability to read coverages until we see him playing under the pressure of a pass rush. Lacking that I just want them working on timing and all of the little things that make up a good connection between a QB and his receivers. How well they all communicate can make or break the effectiveness of the passing game.
Bearfacts
MVP

Here's some coaching insights to review. Most concern Fields and the OL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... 87670740_1

WR coach Tyke Tolbert on rookie Velus Jones Jr.'s maturity:

"Yeah. I think he has hunger. And you hit the nail right on the head: he has maturity. He already has his Master’s degree. So he’s a smart guy, mature beyond his years, takes his job very seriously. He’s in the meetings taking really good notes. He brought his own little whiteboard, erase board. He’s taking notes and erasing and he’s drawing plays. So he takes his job very seriously. We’ve thrown him into the fire pretty quick, put him at two positions immediately. Get him to learn it now. Because we want him to learn the whole concept. But specifically, a couple of positions to get him going so whenever he can … the more he can do, the more obviously he’ll have a chance to play. So we’re going to throw it all at him and see what he soaks in and hopefully, he’ll get out there and make some plays for us."

Quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko on if the Bears shortened Justin Fields' throwing motion this offseason:

"We’re always just trying to be efficient and compact. Whatever we do, whether it’s the feet … everything starts with our feet and building it from the ground up. And then from there just being compact and allowing him to have the best release possible from the ground up, from the waist up, with his base and all that. We’re always working on different things like that."

OL coach Chris Morgan on the rookie class and depth it gives them on the offensive line:

"Yeah. It's good any time you can add competition. We definitely did that with the draft. Those guys have done a nice job. Those guys are in the same boat. They're learning every day. They're learning the new terminology — how we fit blocks, what we're looking for, what our calls are, what the big picture of the scheme is. Those guys did a nice job. You could tell they put the work in mentally from the end of that rookie minicamp till we came back. That was a nice surprise by those guys. They did a nice job."
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Its very nice to finally get some kind of football news again. Thanks all for sharing it! Wins may not come easy this year, but I think this is a team that will be easy to like. Definitely gives hope for the future!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab
Mod

If his nickname doesn't become Air Gordon, what are we even doing
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:59 pm If his nickname doesn't become Air Gordon, what are we even doing
Defensive commissioner Gordon?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm
wab wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:59 pm If his nickname doesn't become Air Gordon, what are we even doing
Seconded!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

Not Flash?
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:26 pmNot Flash?
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:29 am Alan Williams was interesting and sort of funny... seems like a good guy and sharp guy but he contradicted himself constantly (e.g. "we treat them all the same and start from scratch with each player" and then a bit later "we have a plan for every player / everyone has their own plan").
That's not necessarily self-contradiction. You can all start from scratch and be treated the same, and then have a plan build and tailored to you from that point without getting preferential treatment
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:40 pm
Funny story. When Ted got released on DVD (I'm thinking it was still a DVD 10 years ago, maybe a blu ray) my wife comes home one night with it after she rented it (RedBox???) and said she had a movie for us showed me Ted. I asked where the kids were going to be that night (I think they were in the 8-10 range). She said they were watching it with us. It was a movie about a cute stuffed bear who came to life. I had to pull the trailer and put and end to that idea. :?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I vote for this one!

Flash Gordon.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:40 pm
LMAO..... :toast:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

How about Dexter?

Then we can shorten it from Dexter Gordon to just Dexter:

And you know, he kills--serially. ;)
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

:ashamed: Did anybody else notice that despite two perfectly thrown balls, both Herbert and Ebner dropped them.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:55 am :ashamed: Did anybody else notice that despite two perfectly thrown balls, both Herbert and Ebner dropped them.
Yup. But maybe they were playing "Hot Potato" that day. Ya' never know. LOL
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:55 am :ashamed: Did anybody else notice that despite two perfectly thrown balls, both Herbert and Ebner dropped them.
It looked like his Ohio State days minus the drops .....though on the one throw that was probably less separation than Olave typically got :-P
Heinz D.
MVP

Good point.

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm
Maybe just simply, "Commissioner Gordon".

I could see that.
That works, too.

Hmm...maybe a thread, and a poll, are in order? :taunt:
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
IE
Hall of Famer

After watching the hype videos the team released during the introduction of Nagy 2.0, I welcome practice film that depicts reality. Ebner has great hands and Juice had like a 90% catch rate last year.