OTA news

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pm I mean, I already agreed with Yogi that we have to wait and see on the new guys. Odds are what they are though, and if you’re counting on 7th round draft picks - as rookies no less - to improve your line then 9 times out of 10 you’ll fail. Thems just the facts.
How good was the line, last season? And--"7th round draft pick" nonsense aside, what were you looking for?

In spite of how much money the Steelers paid Daniels...he was pretty "meh" last year. So, again, I don't know what you were hoping for?

But also, yet again, you're claiming Poles doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. That seems a tad premature, to me.
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pmHere’s another fact. I’ve been banging this drum for maybe 20 years now, and I’ve been right damn near every time. And I bet I’m right again, we will see soon enough.
Right about WHAT? What is this "drum banging" you're referencing?
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pmYou’re takes aren’t better than Louis Riddick. He knows more than either of us by a long shot, and said we have the worst OL in the NFL.
I absolutely love Riddick, and his insight. Doesn't mean he's not climbin' aboard the Poles hate train, though. Clicks and views, y'all!
dplank wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 pmYou do it too, you just get upset when folks see something differently.
I very rarely get "upset" when discussing things on the internet. Do I seem "upset" to you, on this topic? I guarantee that when I'm actually "upset" every last one of you will know it.

Calling the Bears O-line "garbage" seems kinda "upset" to me...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:18 am :thumbsup: I'm your huckleberry.....er uh ninny. :rofl: :toast:
:lol:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:13 pm

The point of the comment is to show that Poles is hanging his hopes on numerous long shots coming through. It’s just not a wise bet, even though ultimately he may hit that inside straight.
I think that overstates it IMHO.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:13 pm

The point of the comment is to show that Poles is hanging his hopes on numerous long shots coming through. It’s just not a wise bet, even though ultimately he may hit that inside straight.
Q: Do you subscribe to the “weakest link” argument for OL? I.e. the line will only be as good as it’s weakest link?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:21 pm
RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Q: Do you subscribe to the “weakest link” argument for OL? I.e. the line will only be as good as it’s weakest link?
To a large degree - Yes. With some caveats(*)
1) Position still matters - Weak link at RG is alot better than LT/RT/C IMHO

2) The relative strength of the other positions CAN help - especially if proximity to the weak link is close. I.E. if you have a Weak RG but an absolute ALL PRO Center - I think that helps mitigate some of the weak link status

3). Why are they weak link? Is it they don't know what they are supposed to be doing? Or just physically overmatched/bad technique? (Or the dreaded both ! Though I suspect when a decent chunk of when a guy looks overmatched - its a large percentage not knowing what they are supposed to be doing - thus being late or in bad position technique wise - and thats when you get made to look foolish

Not knowing what they are supposed to be doing is worse IMHO (neither is good mind you)

And to answer what I assume you were getting at - yes it would concern me if Mustipher is starting - caveats there too

1 - I think Guard is easier than Center
2 - There is at least hope (maybe of the foolish eternally springing kind) that a better system fit, better body type for him, and just quite frankly a Full year of NFL snaps - could mean Mustipher is just a better version of himself (best case is probably still what? League Average? But that would still be an improvement)
3 - It could be that he has a good camp and actually wins the job based on that rather than default.

Note those caveats on Mustipher are weakly held. I would still very much see someone else there
dplank
Hall of Famer

See it all pretty much the same way. And you mostly knew where I was going with it, but I'll take just a bit deeper than just that.

Right now, we are fairly sure that Mustipher is abysmal. All caveats you mention are valid. But, it's more than just Mustipher.

Also right now, we really don't have any idea if Jenkins or Jones can play. And Borom, the one with the most NFL tape, looked just sort of meh. So both tackle positions are huge question marks, the floor is very, very low and the ceiling is not particularly high.

And then you have our backups, which include Davenport, Simmons, Eislen, and a few rookies that were late round selections.

So add all this up, and you have a weakest link issue at potentially 3 spots on your OL, with a good chance that we have more than one weak link out there (which has a multiplier effect). So the reason I refer to it as an inside straight, is we would need multiple things to happen in order to not have a major hole or multiple holes up front. Between Jenkins, Jones, Mustipher, Borom and 4 rookies, we need 3 guys to step up and play well. And the final kicker in all this is that the two "sure things" that we have aren't pro bowlers or anything, more a tallest midget sort of deal where they are at least competent players. One injury to those guys, and it could go downhill fast.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Except its still a better grouping than last year - which wasn't a disaster either

You got the full Mustipher last year (and magnified since at C rather than Guard ). and RT we had like Ifedi and less? (Argument that Mustipher wasn't even the weakest line is there - I still think it was Mustipher though) Solid Guard play and a solid better than we deserved Peters year - but it wasn't like they all were elite then either

I think there is room between turnstile/disaster and play well - And Jenkins and some others do give you some ceiling (more than we had) - whether they hit ceiling or not is a very different question

I guess my original overstatement point was that - I don't think he's gotta hit 4 Bullseyes from 900 Feet away to achieve competence on the Line - Dominance? Yes especially for this year But Competence - no
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Minor, but welcome, news:
Bears sign CB Kyler Gordon to rookie deal

After Gordon’s signing, only Penn State safety Jaquan Brisker, another second-round pick, remains unsigned.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears
10 down, 1 to go...
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:27 pm Minor, but welcome, news:
Bears sign CB Kyler Gordon to rookie deal

After Gordon’s signing, only Penn State safety Jaquan Brisker, another second-round pick, remains unsigned.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears
10 down, 1 to go...
More good news - thanks
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Rookie wage scale is one of the best things the NFL has done in a long time - something they actually got right!
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 am Rookie wage scale is one of the best things the NFL has done in a long time - something they actually got right!
Absolutely. It just eliminates so many different problems...
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

How could he practice in the OTAs without a contract? I'm kind of confused on that.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:58 pm How could he practice in the OTAs without a contract? I'm kind of confused on that.
It happens all the time, every year in most camps.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2018/05/what_ ... jured.html

Again, why risk serious injury and a potentially altered career path without securing your guaranteed money, which can be tens of millions for a first-round pick or five figures for a seventh-round pick?

It's called the "rookie participation agreement," and it essentially assures a draft pick injured during minicamps, offseason workouts or the rookie development program will receive the same contract he would have if healthy, one longtime NFLPA-certified agent explained to NJ Advance Media.

While each team can word differently their version of the paperwork, a player not under contract and his agent can sign a rookie participation agreement along with team officials.

It guarantees nothing but "good faith" in negotiations should an injury happen without contract, but good faith is easier to define in the post-2010 era of pre-determined contract parameters.
IE
Hall of Famer

IMO the Oline discussion is drained. Everyone gets everyone else's concerns and the varying levels of concern or trust. We know now what Poles is doing this season, with maybe the potential with one additional surprise with the bank he's built up. But it looks like he's going to go to war with the army he has, to quote a bad man.

On Graham I think the confusion is thanks to Pace the Bears get another season of paying Graham even after having let him go. So that's just awesome.

On Kmet looking great in OTAs that's fantastic. I've been hard on him at times because I don't see him as being a dynamic tackle-breaking playmaker. I see him as having problems making a play when he's asked to catch the ball on one of those short hitches & expected to elude a tackler or break the tackle. But I do also blame Nagy for HOW he is used because he is a great weapon up the seam, and when he catches the ball on the move he does very well.

It is too bad we're seeing a year 2/year 3 thing on Kmet because he should NEVER have given up any reps to Graham last year. Graham had ZERO business on the team last year and Nagy's commitment to him ruined the potential of the Kmet/James receiving tandem threat (or any chance of us actually seeing Horsted get a reasonable chance - which most people seem to think he earned).

If Graham wasn't on the team last year, Kmet would probably be looking at having at least 25% better stats and already be looked at in better light.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t see how it’s better Rich. I don’t like PFF but according to them we lost our top two rated players in Peter and Daniels. By a pretty good margin they ranked best. The other three (Borom, Whitehair, Mustipher) are in line to start. The replacements are Lucas and either Jones or Jenkins. And the depth behind them is brutal.

I see scheme helping us for sure, but talent wise we look worse.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 am IMO the Oline discussion is drained. Everyone gets everyone else's concerns and the varying levels of concern or trust. We know now what Poles is doing this season, with maybe the potential with one additional surprise with the bank he's built up. But it looks like he's going to go to war with the army he has, to quote a bad man.

On Graham I think the confusion is thanks to Pace the Bears get another season of paying Graham even after having let him go. So that's just awesome.

On Kmet looking great in OTAs that's fantastic. I've been hard on him at times because I don't see him as being a dynamic tackle-breaking playmaker. I see him as having problems making a play when he's asked to catch the ball on one of those short hitches & expected to elude a tackler or break the tackle. But I do also blame Nagy for HOW he is used because he is a great weapon up the seam, and when he catches the ball on the move he does very well.

It is too bad we're seeing a year 2/year 3 thing on Kmet because he should NEVER have given up any reps to Graham last year. Graham had ZERO business on the team last year and Nagy's commitment to him ruined the potential of the Kmet/James receiving tandem threat (or any chance of us actually seeing Horsted get a reasonable chance - which most people seem to think he earned).

If Graham wasn't on the team last year, Kmet would probably be looking at having at least 25% better stats and already be looked at in better light.
100%
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 am I don’t see how it’s better Rich. I don’t like PFF but according to them we lost our top two rated players in Peter and Daniels. By a pretty good margin they ranked best. The other three (Borom, Whitehair, Mustipher) are in line to start. The replacements are Lucas and either Jones or Jenkins. And the depth behind them is brutal.

I see scheme helping us for sure, but talent wise we look worse.
Daniels are Peters were solid - Peters gave us a better season than we had any right to expect. Which isn't the same as saying they were very good - I'd probably have them both as above average last year.

I think on Borom and Jenkins you'll get more due to health, size, and just the general notion that Year 2 tends to be better than Year 1.

Moving Mustipher off Center - and replacing him with both a better player who will (on a relative basis) know the system better is a markedly improvement IMHO. Right Tackle play almost can't help but improve (There are a ton of terrible Tackles in the NFL)

There is also something of a weird part of the analysis - where people (like me) are not really projecting any injuries - but are incorporating the injuries from last year into that line's performance (when you are wanting for Ifedi - its a bad thing)

Depth is interesting. I think its better than last year (Peters was technically the depth once he got here....but wasn't even on the roster at this stage IIRC) but we shall see (or hopefully we dont have to see)
IE
Hall of Famer

My current take on the Oline from last year is they were all asked to play far heavier than they should have been, and accordingly the guy who played best was the one most used to playing at 350 in the NFL ... it wasn't because he was actually better.

What people also seemed to miss is any assessment or grade of a player is it is a function of not only how he performs but what he is asked to do. So if you send guys out on a fool's errand, or give them an assignment that their opponent knows is coming... guess what? The grades are not comparatively informative. And if an entire line has poor grades, it could be an indicator that scheme, coaching/prep and in-game strategy are undermining them across the board.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:35 pm My current take on the Oline from last year is they were all asked to play far heavier than they should have been, and accordingly the guy who played best was the one most used to playing at 350 in the NFL ... it wasn't because he was actually better.

What people also seemed to miss is any assessment or grade of a player is it is a function of not only how he performs but what he is asked to do. So if you send guys out on a fool's errand, or give them an assignment that their opponent knows is coming... guess what? The grades are not comparatively informative. And if an entire line has poor grades, it could be an indicator that scheme, coaching/prep and in-game strategy are undermining them across the board.
:clap: good post IE, it’s a multifactorial situation.

Look at what Mooney has said in recent interviews about this season compared to last season is “like night and day” and this year everyone knows what it expected of them.

:thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:28 pm Moving Mustipher off Center - and replacing him with both a better player who will (on a relative basis) know the system better is a markedly improvement IMHO.
Are we certain that Lucas Patrick is actually a better C than Mustipher? He's a career backup who came cheap (for a reason). Sure, he knows the system. From all I have researched, he's just a guy. And not a clear starter kinda guy. He does know the system and has some attitude. So he has that going for him. And Mustipher lacks athletic traits this scheme requires, especially since he's gained like 30#. Either way, it's underwhelming to me. No way do I consider this as some kind of wash to losing Daniels at RG.

I sure wouldn't want to be Justin Fields this season. After Whitehair, who is your most dependable lineman? Patrick, a career backup playing a position he hasn't played that much? I'm leaning toward Borom, a 2021 R5 first year player who was hit and miss as a rookie. Not good.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:18 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:28 pm Moving Mustipher off Center - and replacing him with both a better player who will (on a relative basis) know the system better is a markedly improvement IMHO.
Are we certain that Lucas Patrick is actually a better C than Mustipher? He's a career backup who came cheap (for a reason). Sure, he knows the system. From all I have researched, he's just a guy. And not a clear starter kinda guy. He does know the system and has some attitude. So he has that going for him. And Mustipher lacks athletic traits this scheme requires, especially since he's gained like 30#. Either way, it's underwhelming to me. No way do I consider this as some kind of wash to losing Daniels at RG.

I sure wouldn't want to be Justin Fields this season. After Whitehair, who is your most dependable lineman? Patrick, a career backup playing a position he hasn't played that much? I'm leaning toward Borom, a 2021 R5 first year player who was hit and miss as a rookie. Not good.
I'm glad you're not Justin Fields ever. He's a positive guy, and doesn't stretch everything to the worst extreme and paint everything in the worst possible light.

He could have 4 experienced olinemen in front of him, and a rookie that earned the 5th spot. You have zero idea of reliability because we don't know how any of these guys will perform in the new system that is quite different, with new coaching and in far better shape. You have no idea. You're just scared.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE I like your optimism and wish I shared it, but I’m really tired of folks getting blasted for having a negative outlook on the season. Especially considering it’s the standard outlook from the unbiased national media community. His POV, which I share, is pretty reasonable given our current situation. It’d be different if guys were being overtly negative for no reason, they’d just be haters. But this isn’t that.

The offensive talent, on paper, looks terrible. This isn’t disputable. They may play better than they project, which is your point and none of us know, this is also indisputable. But believing the roster is bad and will likely not play well isn’t heresy, it’s just an opinion.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:18 pm

Patrick started has started 28 out of 32 games over the last two season. Sounds kind of like a starter.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I do have high confidence that Patrick will be an upgrade over Mustipher, it’s not a high bar to overcome. That said it won’t help him if we have a turnstile at RG, I’m really hoping a rookie emerges to play that spot.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Re-reading some earlier Poles' comments from right after he was hired, I don't think the Bears are going to bring in any free agent OL or other positions short of catastrophic injuries at training camp.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am Re-reading some earlier Poles' comments from right after he was hired, I don't think the Bears are going to bring in any free agent OL or other positions short of catastrophic injuries at training camp.
I think this is most likely, but if RG looks as bad as I fear it might when the pads come on, I could see a training camp vet signing. He probably wants to see how the rookies look first.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:41 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am Re-reading some earlier Poles' comments from right after he was hired, I don't think the Bears are going to bring in any free agent OL or other positions short of catastrophic injuries at training camp.
I think this is most likely, but if RG looks as bad as I fear it might when the pads come on, I could see a training camp vet signing. He probably wants to see how the rookies look first.
I think if there's no clear cut answer at RG after the pads are on, Patrick will move over.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think if we don't have someone step up at RG and claim the spot, they may look to upgrade there is a player is cut with a proven track record at that spot. (they could look to snag a younger guy who was a high draft pick that hasn't lived up to his billing, but I think a guy like that is less likely to be signed to the 53-man roster, but we might be able to sneak someone like that onto the PS as they may view our PS as a more viable route to ultimately getting back to the 53-man roster than other teams given the perception of talent we have on the OL).
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:46 am
I think if we don't have someone step up at RG and claim the spot, they may look to upgrade there is a player is cut with a proven track record at that spot. (they could look to snag a younger guy who was a high draft pick that hasn't lived up to his billing, but I think a guy like that is less likely to be signed to the 53-man roster, but we might be able to sneak someone like that onto the PS as they may view our PS as a more viable route to ultimately getting back to the 53-man roster than other teams given the perception of talent we have on the OL).
That would be the one scenario I can see Poles doing. I guess it's possible that Kramer plays lights out at center at camp and Patrick moves to guard but I doubt this happens. More likely one of the draft picks or Jenkins steps up at RG, the team rolls with that, and maybe signs another OT to be the swing guy.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:57 am Yea all good, no need to keep saying these are opinions. Of course they are opinions and we are here to debate our opinions.

I strongly disagree with a sentiment that Poles saw no opportunity to draft a 3T. That's not a well founded opinion IMO.

Also, I keep using Armstead as an example, but there were other moves I'd have been happy with on the OL as well. It's not restricted to that one example. It includes Bates, it includes 5-10 other FA's, it includes our top 3 draft slots. In each case, Poles went for options other than dealing with our OL. It's the totality of it that bothers me, combined with staring down the barrel of Sam Mustipher being a starter again. That should not be acceptable to the fan base.
To me, Poles' biggest mistake along the OL was his reaction to Bates. I can understand him NOT signing other OL FAs as being too old, too injured, too expensive, too slow, etc... But in Bates' case, he identified his guy, and after Poles identified him, he lowballed him just about as much as he possibly could, making the Bills' match easy. After you identify your guy, you go after to get him. You don't penny pinch him. Aside from that though, I'm willing to give Poles the benefit of the doubt as a former UDFA offensive lineman on his ability to evaluate that position. I'm very high on ALL the offensive linemen he did pick, even though they were late. They ALL have athletic ability and good tape. And Poles did have pretty good success in Kansas City in accumulating offensive linemen, either through the draft or free agency.

No, my biggest gripe with Poles is as DP claims--his attitude toward the defense and the 3T specifically, only for different reasons than DP. Again, Poles identified his guy in Ogun and the importance of that particular position in the defense with his initial offering. And I'm even okay with Poles walking away from the signing because he didn't pass the physical (although in truth, I don't know how Poles could expect him to pass at the time it was taken). But after walking away, he immediately signed a second-tier guy in Jones, and I'm okay with that too.

Still, he identified the position of extreme need (as his Ogun contract attests), and he then followed up (rightfully so) with a second tier stop gap. But then if he put so much emphasis on that position, he should have addressed the position in the draft and it was very possible to do just that. I agree with Tommie Harris that Perrion Winfrey would be a PERFECT 3T in this defense, and he was a steal in the fourth round. Poles could have easily traded away a 2023 third to take Winfrey.

Now, I know this sounds like a Pace move, but so what? It wasn't always bad Pace trading up. It's how we got Fields after all. And I know we want to build through the draft, but so what if we lose a third rounder next year when we have a gazillion free agent dollars to spend and an otherwise pretty full allotment of draft picks. Perrion Winfrey in the fourth round this year was an ABSOLUTE STEAL, particularly of you were looking for a 3T. If you're looking at spending all those bucks for Ogun, you should be willing to part with a future third for drafting a perfect fit of a steal. And if not that, then try to ensure you got Ogun even though you kind of dissed him.

So, my criticism of Poles (aside from trading Mack), isn't so much what particular high price free agent he failed to get, it's more along the lines that once he identified a player or a position of need, then he needed to ensure that he got that player or the future of that position. Neither Bates nor Winfrey nor Ogun (1 year, 6.2 mill? Really?) cost that much. Hopefully, he learns how to obtain the players or positions of need that he identifies with more experience. I do know that I'd feel much better about our off season with Bates and either Ogun or Winfrey in the fold.