Luke Getsy's Running & Passing Schemes

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Very dense and detailed analysis on The Bears new offensive coordinator. Throughout the presentation the content creator uses game footage from Getsy time in PukeGreen Bay and under Moorehead. Both are very long but give a thorough hypothesis on what Chicago's new offense may look like.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thx for sharing these
docc
Head Coach

..excellent..thks
Bearfacts
MVP

Nice find Kylo. I think we can all see from this what the challenges will be for the OL. When blocked as schemed the GB RB have all kinds of room to make their cuts and gain good yardage but without each man getting his assignment blocked correctly the play fails. The TE in this offense are also used pretty effectively as blockers which may explain why we signed those we did.

I'd love to see a comparison between these workups and the Bears OL running the same plays under Nagy. In another post some of us were analyzing Monty vs Aaron Jones and to me it's pretty easy to see why Jones average ypc has been greater than Monty's. He's been running behind a much better OL but also one that executes well designed player properly. Add play calling to that as well.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:09 am Nice find Kylo. I think we can all see from this what the challenges will be for the OL. When blocked as schemed the GB RB have all kinds of room to make their cuts and gain good yardage but without each man getting his assignment blocked correctly the play fails. The TE in this offense are also used pretty effectively as blockers which may explain why we signed those we did.

I'd love to see a comparison between these workups and the Bears OL running the same plays under Nagy. In another post some of us were analyzing Monty vs Aaron Jones and to me it's pretty easy to see why Jones average ypc has been greater than Monty's. He's been running behind a much better OL but also one that executes well designed player properly. Add play calling to that as well.
He also has had a much higher threat at QB for defenses to fear. What defense rolls into Goon Bay thinking man we need to stop Aaron Jones.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Nice, Kylo, thanks for sharing. Almost done with the run game one, some interesting stuff.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
malagabears
Journeyman

dave99
Assistant Coach

Found this article nosing around the subject earlier.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/how-n ... tin-fields
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Burl
Crafty Veteran

We're gonna be stingy on defense.
We're gonna have a strong running game.

The ways Justin Fields fits this offense listed in the article above are QB mobility, running game, RPO (which is another way of relying on mobility) and Fields "experience".

I wish just "passing the football" was included.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Burl wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:00 pm We're gonna be stingy on defense.
We're gonna have a strong running game.

The ways Justin Fields fits this offense listed in the article above are QB mobility, running game, RPO (which is another way of relying on mobility) and Fields "experience".

I wish just "passing the football" was included.
Not complexly ignored:
Fields outside the pocket, looking deep with his knack for throwing accurate deep balls has the ring of success. Under Matt Nagy, the Bears talked about this at times and occasionally used it, but never committed fully to this as a staple of the attack.

When Fields doesn't throw downfield, there is the wide-open look he can take advantage of with his speed far better than immobile passers can. When he has played in it enough, he'll also gain a better feel for when he can best use his speed and when there are receivers breaking free to be found instead of running with it.

There has been one instance of an extremely mobile passer getting to run the Shanahan style attack and it came very early in this attack's development, in Washington with RG III. If the Bears can keep Fields from running so much that he winds up injured like RG III, it will be fascinating to see what they can do with the run threat and the Shanahan style of offense.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 am
Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:09 am Nice find Kylo. I think we can all see from this what the challenges will be for the OL. When blocked as schemed the GB RB have all kinds of room to make their cuts and gain good yardage but without each man getting his assignment blocked correctly the play fails. The TE in this offense are also used pretty effectively as blockers which may explain why we signed those we did.

He also has had a much higher threat at QB for defenses to fear. What defense rolls into Goon Bay thinking man we need to stop Aaron Jones.
Good point. Without the threat of Rodgers ripping up your secondary how well does Jones do in comparison to others?

I'm not implying that he's not a talented back but simply by watching those workups it's obvious the GB OL has it's shit together running their blocking scheme far better than we do and without good blocking no NFL RB will look that good.

And in other news regarding Mr Rodgers and his life his engagement to Ms Woodley is now over. She's been quoted as saying he was a bit difficult to deal with at times since everything always had to be his way! Imagine that. :o He's a spoiled controlling asshat no matter who he's with.....LOL.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 pm
And in other news regarding Mr Rodgers and his life his engagement to Ms Woodley is now over. She's been quoted as saying he was a bit difficult to deal with at times since everything always had to be his way! Imagine that. :o He's a spoiled controlling asshat no matter who he's with.....LOL.
I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! No way paragon of virtue and defender of honesty Aaron Rodgers could be difficult. He always comes across as such a humble, compassionate, caring, selfless man. She must be quiet the handful. Aaron has never been someone who must constantly be praised or always be the center of attention. Woodley must truly be the diva of all divas to be unsatisfied with such a man's man as Aaron Rodgers. When I think of tough guys who everyone loves, Aaron certainly tops that list.
IE
Hall of Famer

I just posted this elsewhere. Watching the Packer run scheme and the blocks they're expecting the Oline to be making to hit those outside gaps the way they want ... it perfectly explains the OL draft picks they made a few weeks ago. i'm very excited to see guys like Thomas and Carter out there in the new scheme.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bearfacts
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 am
Bearfacts wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 pm
I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! No way paragon of virtue and defender of honesty Aaron Rodgers could be difficult. He always comes across as such a humble, compassionate, caring, selfless man. She must be quiet the handful. Aaron has never been someone who must constantly be praised or always be the center of attention. Woodley must truly be the diva of all divas to be unsatisfied with such a man's man as Aaron Rodgers. When I think of tough guys who everyone loves, Aaron certainly tops that list.

LOL.....all I know is ol' Aaron seems to be churning through lovers pretty fast these days and they're all pretty hot.

Let's see first there was Olivia Munn, then Danica Patrick (thought she'd be smarter than that), and now Shailene Woodley got benched too. Whose next? Something tells me Aaron may end up dying a lonely old forgotten man.
Bearfacts
MVP

IE wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:12 am I just posted this elsewhere. Watching the Packer run scheme and the blocks they're expecting the Oline to be making to hit those outside gaps the way they want ... it perfectly explains the OL draft picks they made a few weeks ago. i'm very excited to see guys like Thomas and Carter out there in the new scheme.
And it's entirely possible the guys Poles drafted are actually much better than their ranking but simply don't fit well with other teams who won't be running the same type of scheme. I would assume the less versatile an OL is scheme wise the lower they might be ranked. Plus both Thomas and Carter played OT but will in all likelihood convert to OG in the pros so that may also have pushed them down.

I'm very curious about Carter. He looks small yet in the Senior Bowl videos he was balling with some guys that were bigger and ranked far ahead of where he was taken. He was pretty tenacious in those few videos I watched.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Bearfacts wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:17 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 am

LOL.....all I know is ol' Aaron seems to be churning through lovers pretty fast these days and they're all pretty hot.

Let's see first there was Olivia Munn, then Danica Patrick (thought she'd be smarter than that), and now Shailene Woodley got benched too. Whose next? Something tells me Aaron may end up dying a lonely old forgotten man.
Churning through lovers… aka “slaying it”.
Bearfacts
MVP

Burl wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 am

Haha......that might have been fun 10-15 years ago but he's what, 38 years old now? He may have matured as an NFL QB but in real life maybe not so much. But with his money and fame I'm sure there's no end to the opportunities to hook up with someone new.

Sorry, this is getting pretty off topic yet it seems every Bears fan loves hearing anything negative about Rodgers. :ashamed:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I liked something I read this a.m. about using Blasingame as the lead blocker but also in the passing game, he made a pretty catch in practice yesterday. Be still my beating heart, a FB used that way. I seem to remember even Walter lined up in the slot sometimes and making an ungodly gain after catching a pass.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 am

:lol:

Indeed. Let’s be honest if I was still 38, with more money than I can ever spend and able to pick up hot younger women I don’t think I’d be worrying about dying lonely. Live for the moment :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Thanks for this Kylo. I'm about two thirds through the running game. It's surprising to me. I always thought that Zone Blocking involved taking the defensive lineman the way he wanted to go and to open up cut back lanes for the RB. I'm surprised they're using reach blocks like this.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am Nice, Kylo, thanks for sharing. Almost done with the run game one, some interesting stuff.
Learned some things I didn't know in the run game vid.

The pass game one did a great job of reminding me how little the previous coaching staff tried to help out their rookie QB. Like, at all. At the very least, that part looks like it will change.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

Looking for a place to put this, and "Getsy's likely offense" looks like as good a place as any. Should we think Getsy HAS to be excited about this, and tailoring all the above offense to take best advantage of it? My thinking is YES!

Ourlads' summary on Fields on the Bears Depth Chart page:
Analysis
What Ourlads' Scouting Services said about JUSTIN FIELDS before he made the Chicago Bears' Depth Chart: Ohio State, 6025 228 4.46. Junior entry, two-year starter, Kennesaw, GA. Spent one season at Georgia, playing in a 1A/1B situation at quarterback with Jake Fromm, although he played lesser snaps by a wide margin. Won the Big 10 Offensive Player of the Year Award both seasons and was a second-team All America in 2019. Made it all the way to the National Championship in 2020 but came up short to Alabama. He remains an enigma. Clearly talented enough on multiple levels to be a bigtime pro. Has a tremendous arm and is one of the best athletes at the position to ever come out, and he plays with a slow heartbeat that exudes confidence. Had multiple games over his final month that created questions about his ability to quickly process information in order to avoid mistakes. An ideal fit for a redshirt year in the NFL. Top shelf athlete and competitor for the position that is a credible dual threat. Can create something out of nothing with his legs and will gain plenty yards after contact. Has the body of a thick running back and will truck over defenders. Can launch the ball with a simple flick of the wrist. Has good deep ball accuracy and isn’t afraid to test it. Tremendous balance and lower body control to consistently give him a dependable base to throw from. Can add zip to the ball on demand, will put as much juice on it as he needs to. A tough gamer who knows how to win. Will get fooled at times by complex defenses. Will need reps to improve anticipation. Waits too long for his man to come open at times. We have more notes over two years on Justin Fields than Beethoven’s piano concerto No. 5 in E flat. Master at the run/pass option game. Does a beautiful job of throwing over the linebackers (the true passer’s enemy – not defensive backs). Has experience at both taking snap from under center and in shotgun. Blessed with good arm strength and velocity. At times on intermediate routes the ball can be too hot for the crossing receivers and bounces off their chest. A gifted and dangerous runner. He is very smooth and literally glides down the field for positive yards when his reads and number count dictate a run. Knows how to conclude his runs with a baseball slide. Generally only takes off to run in drop back situations when all receivers are covered. He extends plays with his open field athleticism. Can create and improvise. Set career highs in completion percentage (70.2%) and yards per attempt (9.3) in 2020. A step forward when many question his accuracy. In 2019 the Buckeye quarterback was the first Big-10 signal caller to run for 10 scores and pass for 40 more, so he set the bar high heading into a pandemic nightmare. Accurate passer on the run rolling out right or left and throwing a strike to one of his talented receivers. Distributes the ball to wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs. The Georgia native checks all the boxes of a big time NFL quarterback prospect. Height, weight, explosive speed, a leader. Football smart. Very intelligent, makes good on the field decisions. A captain with top flight character, coachable and dependable. Competitive with mental and physical toughness. Stamina. Excellent physical condition. Strong – overpowers college players. Quick and explosive when he decides to run. A performer with confidence. Durable, shakes off arm tackles. Can take and give a hit. He sees the field and understands what he is seeing. We have seen him with excellent ball accuracy and placement over the past two years at all levels. Short, medium, and long. Did he miss or overthrow wide open receivers – yes – but not many. If you haven’t missed a few, you haven’t played. An impact player with starter ability. 2020 stats: 158/225, 2100 yds, 70.2%, 22 TD, 6 INT, 383 yds rushing, 5 TD, 175.56 QB rating. First round. (A-32 1/2, H-9 1/8, SS-NA, VJ-NA).
G08
Hall of Famer

This website depicts beautifully why I've been begging for the Shanahan offense to come to Chicago. I PRAY this is what we run because it's so beautiful in its simplicity:

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/06/17/kyl ... on-scheme/

We don't need the Allen Robinson's of the world to run this scheme, just make sure you are executing your job, especially in selling run vs pass, and you will find explosives.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:21 am Looking for a place to put this, and "Getsy's likely offense" looks like as good a place as any. Should we think Getsy HAS to be excited about this, and tailoring all the above offense to take best advantage of it? My thinking is YES!

Analysis
What Ourlads' Scouting Services said about JUSTIN FIELDS before he made the Chicago Bears' Depth Chart:
He's a very good prospect, which is why nearly everyone here was on board with the trade & pick.

Mind you, this profile was written pre-NFL career.

Also, I will not be able to resist pointing out that they also said:
An ideal fit for a redshirt year in the NFL.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:21 pm
IE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:21 am Looking for a place to put this, and "Getsy's likely offense" looks like as good a place as any. Should we think Getsy HAS to be excited about this, and tailoring all the above offense to take best advantage of it? My thinking is YES!

He's a very good prospect, which is why nearly everyone here was on board with the trade & pick.

Mind you, this profile was written pre-NFL career.

Also, I will not be able to resist pointing out that they also said:
An ideal fit for a redshirt year in the NFL.
Yeah fully understood on the timing and the redshirt comment. I'll focus on the silver lining, and that is having him had full speed NFL experience and made some big plays and also taken some lumps. So everything he's learning now is in that context in his head. A plus.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

The more I research the receiving corp the more I start to understand why they signed.

I was indifferent on the Pringle signing but after watching this I'm sold he can be a solid pass catcher for Fields.

The thing that stood out to me was Pringle's seperation ability. The same reason Equanimeous St. Brown was signed was his separation abilities (and past history with Getsy); Velus Jones Jr was drafted because of his seperation skills. The reason I keep harping on the word SEPERATION is because that is the sort of pass catcher that helps Fields out the most. Turns out Poles was helping Agent One out in the receiving area but in a more cost effective and smarter way. I'm not saying Chicago's Rec Corp will rival The Greatest Show On Turf or put The Chief's to shame but its potential is underappreciated.

Truth is none of them will be pro bowlers (this year at least) but they're not a bunch of jobbers either. It has an above average member in Mooney and two solid to maybe good in St Brown and Pringle. And Jones Jr is a wild card that can blow up when the season starts. Right now I feel the passing game isn't as abysmal as once thought and we may be in for a pleasant surprise.
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:55 am This website depicts beautifully why I've been begging for the Shanahan offense to come to Chicago. I PRAY this is what we run because it's so beautiful in its simplicity:

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/06/17/kyl ... on-scheme/

We don't need the Allen Robinson's of the world to run this scheme, just make sure you are executing your job, especially in selling run vs pass, and you will find explosives.
Totally on board with this, G. Yes!

When I watch these play examples and Shanny's approach, I keep going back to the concept that Nagy never seemed to string together a coherent sequence of plays to keep the D honest, take advantage of momentum or exploit overreaction from the D. That play calling is AS important as the scheme, IMO. We don't know that Getsy is going to be as effective, but coming from GB he's certainly seen this in action, and also see the value of how the outside zone wears out a D over the course of the game.
IE
Hall of Famer

Kylo Bearen wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:21 pm The more I research the receiving corp the more I start to understand why they signed.

The thing that stood out to me was Pringle's seperation ability. The same reason Equanimeous St. Brown was signed was his separation abilities (and past history with Getsy); Velus Jones Jr was drafted because of his seperation skills. The reason I keep harping on the word SEPERATION is because that is the sort of pass catcher that helps Fields out the most. Turns out Poles was helping Agent One out in the receiving area but in a more cost effective and smarter way. I'm not saying Chicago's Rec Corp will rival The Greatest Show On Turf or put The Chief's to shame but its potential is underappreciated.

Truth is none of them will be pro bowlers (this year at least) but they're not a bunch of jobbers either. It has an above average member in Mooney and two solid to maybe good in St Brown and Pringle. And Jones Jr is a wild card that can blow up when the season starts. Right now I feel the passing game isn't as abysmal as once thought and we may be in for a pleasant surprise.
No argument here. I started becoming a fan of the player because I was enjoying watching Mahomes and his guys as much as possible over the past couple of years. And over time Pringle started popping of the screen. I remember 2 years ago he made a couple of big plays in some big game and I turned to my son and said "who the eff is Byron Pringle?" Then I watched him a lot more and was sold.

I wouldn't discount him (or Mooney) making the Pro Bowl. I'm not predicting it, but It could happen - just comes down to how JF1 does.
LT2_3
Practice Squad

Grizzled wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:49 am I liked something I read this a.m. about using Blasingame as the lead blocker but also in the passing game, he made a pretty catch in practice yesterday. Be still my beating heart, a FB used that way. I seem to remember even Walter lined up in the slot sometimes and making an ungodly gain after catching a pass.
Could he be an Ultraback like Raymont Harris? He took over the FB position from Merrill Hoge.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

LT2_3 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:37 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:49 am I liked something I read this a.m. about using Blasingame as the lead blocker but also in the passing game, he made a pretty catch in practice yesterday. Be still my beating heart, a FB used that way. I seem to remember even Walter lined up in the slot sometimes and making an ungodly gain after catching a pass.
Could he be an Ultraback like Raymont Harris? He took over the FB position from Merrill Hoge.
Long honorable tradition of Bear FBs blocking, running, and catching the ball. It will be nice to see.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?