Draft Possibilties

6x NBA Champions

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bulls are sitting at 18. What do they do? Possibilities include:

Try to move up higher in the draft
Include the pick in a trade for a Goebbert or someone else
Draft for need: SG who’s a lights-out 3 point guy; a defensive minded C or PF to stout up the D; a hybrid big man for additional D but can also hit the 3.

I figure they stay out and take the best talent still on the board.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'd guess a defensive C prospect: Jalen Duren, Mark Williams, Walker Kessler.

My favorite guys in this draft (after Jabari Smith Jr, Paolo Banchero, and Chet Holmgren) are, in order: Dyson Daniels, Jeremy Sochan, Keegan Murray, and Dalen Terry. If the Bulls decide to go with a ballhandling wing, those would be my guys.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

They could use more defensive stoutness. If they can find a guy who brings that and is a ballhandler also, that would be exceptional. But they still need 3 point shooting.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm was underwhelmed by the pick when I read about him this a.m. He's not a lights-out scorer or shooter nor a defensive big. But he is a very scrappy defender and decent ballhandler. I'm not sure the pick really fills any major holes though.
karhu
Head Coach

Love the pick. He doesn't answer all of our needs, but I don't think that's what NBA draft picks are for. He's got a ton of ready-for-the-league skills that open up some neat opportunities for us right now, and his shot isn't as problematic as some people seem to think.

Health permitting, our perimeter defense is now terrifying. That's huge IMSO. And even if Ball doesn't come back, our D could be right where it was when he left--not at all perfect, but good enough in enough ways to make us a really tough out for the first half of the season.

He's more than just a good passer and ball-handler. He's downright authoritative, a guy who we can run the offense through when we feel like it. Minimal dropoff from Ball at first, and some interesting possibilities when Terry mixes in with the 1s. With a bit more sand in his pants, he could be a true combo wing and our point man whenever we feel like throwing teams a curveball. I can't think of a serious combination he can't fit in with. Perfect glue guy, not just because of his personality and his game, but because of our specific composition from 1 to 4.

And again, his shot's not bad by any stretch. It's just slow. Like he'd be called for traveling if he tried to shoot it his way off motion. But that's all right. It's more easily correctable than, say, a slow, overly deliberate motion by a QB. Anyone who's holding out hope for Justin Fields should give Terry's shot the benefit of the doubt for a year or two.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

And we got Liddell Lite on a two-way after the draft. Great stuff. I still want something resembling a defensive presence at center, and we still need shooting. But the offseason's off to a nice start from where I'm sitting.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Terry is Lonzo Ball Lite. If his shot develops in any way, he's a valuable piece.

They still need shooting and inside defense, but today's NBA is very much about guys who can defend multiple positions and have good basketball IQ.

That's Dalen Terry to a tee.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Don't know how much he has left in the tank but Blake Griffin's a free agent. He might be a good defensive presence off the bench in a position of need and will probably only be looking for the league minimum.