Zack - Max Deal?

6x NBA Champions

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It looks like the Bulls will offer LaVine the max deal today. He's said that he's still going to talk to other teams, wants the wine n' dine experience for the first time, but I imagine he'll take the extra year and most money Bulls deal. Is this the smart move, though? Yes, he's put up good points but his D is still a work in progress and he's not a 3 point shooter. Would the money be spent better elsewhere? They'd have to replace him but could they get a guy such as Ayton?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It's probably an overpay but it's the nature of the NBA free agency beast.

I've come around on LaVine, whom I've long considered an empty calorie scorer but who has impressed me with his willingness to fit alongside Vucevic and particularly DeRozan. He's probably as good as he'll ever be on defense, but then that's why the Bulls went out and signed Lonzo and Caruso last year, to compensate for his shortcomings.

Center is currently the least vital position in the modern NBA, and it'd be hard to play Vucevic and Ayton at the same time. Not where I'd look to spend, personally.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm It's probably an overpay but it's the nature of the NBA free agency beast.

I've come around on LaVine, whom I've long considered an empty calorie scorer but who has impressed me with his willingness to fit alongside Vucevic and particularly DeRozan. He's probably as good as he'll ever be on defense, but then that's why the Bulls went out and signed Lonzo and Caruso last year, to compensate for his shortcomings.

Center is currently the least vital position in the modern NBA, and it'd be hard to play Vucevic and Ayton at the same time. Not where I'd look to spend, personally.
Vuke would go in a sign-and-trade if the Bulls got Ayton but that ain't happening. Meanwhile the Bulls signed Andre Drummond, who's definitely a big body, decent rebounder, not a great rim defender. Not a lot of money, tho. Paying him the max also shows the league that the Bulls take care of their own; their rep isn't great on this. I guess he wants to at least be wined and dined by other teams although I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Bulls.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Bulls have to resign Zack.

The problem is now they have their team and they lack a true #1 elite superstar. They have several really good players, but not an elite one that you can build a championship club around.

I don't want any part of trading for Durant. He's 34. Let him age out someplace else.

I would expect this team, with or without Ball, to be in the top half of the East and to be fun to watch for a change, but they won't seriously contend.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 pm The Bulls have to resign Zack.

The problem is now they have their team and they lack a true #1 elite superstar. They have several really good players, but not an elite one that you can build a championship club around.

I don't want any part of trading for Durant. He's 34. Let him age out someplace else.

I would expect this team, with or without Ball, to be in the top half of the East and to be fun to watch for a change, but they won't seriously contend.
The Nets are so deficient with 1st round picks the rest of this decade because of the Harden trade that they need a passel of them in any Durant deal. The Bulls shouldn’t do this along with sending along young talent.
karhu
Head Coach

I'm worried that we're kind of a rich man's Spurs before the Murray trade: our best player going forward isn't honestly good enough to carry the team to a title, or even to be the centerpiece of our next Big Three. We're better than the Spurs (for now), but our ceiling is just as sturdy, if a bit higher.

But heck. If the salary cap expands enormously over the length of Lavine's next contract, it might make sense. And maybe adding a budding playmaker in Terry will alter Lavine's role in just the right ways, letting him put the team on his back more often, in more crucial situations. That's just a lotta maybes from where I'm sitting.

And yeah, I don't want Durant anywhere near this team. He's a time bomb of overpaid underperformance, and I don't want the Bulls holding the bag. Besides, we'd be paying for him long after he exercised his third-year player option and went to Portland to have his own team again or whatever shit motivates him to think anything will be different when he's not playing for Steve Kerr. He's like MJ if MJ had just said "Fuck you, Phil."
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

Apparently it's a done deal: 5 years, $215.20 million.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bulls signed Derrick Jones Jr. to a 2 year contract (2nd at player's option). Not exactly sure what he brings to the table.

Rudy Goebbert has been traded from the Jazz to the Wolves. 5 players, four 1st rounds picks (one is top 5 protected). I don't want Durant but now I can't even imagine what the trade price will be for him.