Big Ten Upends College Football

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

UCLA and USC are joining the Big Ten in 2024. The conference is looking to add an additional 6 Pac 12 schools (Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Utah, and Colorado) to bring the total members to 22; it will form a Big 10 - West division. There have been discussions about Division 1 football leaving the NCAA and forming their own association. The times, they are a'changing.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Indeed.

In the short term this is definitely worse.
But I still hold out some hope that all these sudden new changes will break the old, bad system and something better will eventually come of it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Can this be moved to the War Room forum, brain dead me put it here by mistake.

We might be seeing the new of numerous Division 1 universities dropping football entirely or going to another division as they fall further and further behind in competing.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't know if schools would quit entirely.

Even the small schools I attended had D2 or D3 teams. There must be something in it for them (revenue, recruitment, student experience...).
But I can definitely see a huge shakeup in divisional organization.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:47 am I don't know if schools would quit entirely.

Even the small schools I attended had D2 or D3 teams. There must be something in it for them (revenue, recruitment, student experience...).
But I can definitely see a huge shakeup in divisional organization.
Football teams are expensive for universities to field. I agree, I'd think more would look at dropping down in division. And don't forget, Division 1 schools are always looking for patsies to pad their win totals and pay exorbitant amounts of money to those schools for the honor of getting the tar beat out of them.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm pretty psyched because we're buying my wife's mom's house in LA and are out there twice a year at least. So I can see my Illini and Sparty play out there, and then see those teams play here as well. Especially in hoops it is going to be very cool to have them in the conference.

Attention: Notre Dame...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:26 pm I'm pretty psyched because we're buying my wife's mom's house in LA and are out there twice a year at least. So I can see my Illini and Sparty play out there, and then see those teams play here as well. Especially in hoops it is going to be very cool to have them in the conference.

Attention: Notre Dame...
I’d imagine the Big 10 will add Oregon, Washington, and maybe Utah and form a Western Division so it will be interesting to see how often teams will have to cross the country to play. I don’t think ND will be making up it’s mind any time soon. University of North Carolina and Pittsburgh are possibilities also.
UOK
Site Admin

Conferences mean nothing anymore. Haven't for years, but especially now. It's a shame.
dplank
Hall of Famer

They really need to blow this thing up and start over. It's a great sport with a structure that's so bad it makes it unwatchable for me. Nothing matters for 99% of the teams because all the talent goes to a handful of programs, who waltz through their league schedule en route to the championship bracket. They need better structure and some form of control over the talent hoarding (I have no idea how)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:45 am They really need to blow this thing up and start over. It's a great sport with a structure that's so bad it makes it unwatchable for me. Nothing matters for 99% of the teams because all the talent goes to a handful of programs, who waltz through their league schedule en route to the championship bracket. They need better structure and some form of control over the talent hoarding (I have no idea how)
Pay for players and a system with salary cap and/or slots?

wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:45 am They really need to blow this thing up and start over. It's a great sport with a structure that's so bad it makes it unwatchable for me. Nothing matters for 99% of the teams because all the talent goes to a handful of programs, who waltz through their league schedule en route to the championship bracket. They need better structure and some form of control over the talent hoarding (I have no idea how)
You are right...I don't know exactly what the solution is, but it needs to be fixed somehow.

I don't know if there are just too many D1 schools that don't belong in D1...like there needs to be a better/new tiering structure.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Old grouchy man complaining again. I got so much enjoyment out of watching college football on Saturday afternoons (especially if Keith Jackson was doing the game) culminating with an absolute New Year's Day orgy of watching all (4) bowl games. Just not the same anymore but, then, what is?
docc
Head Coach

..need a Real Minor League Football..maybe USFL will be it ?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:01 pm ..need a Real Minor League Football..maybe USFL will be it ?
Baseball and hockey seem to have successful minor league feeder systems. NBA has the G league and more guys are coming out of it now. It seems like such a system would benefit the NFL but the owners are probably too cheap to implement a league.

Possibly the Big 10 is looking at Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. All meet the high academic standards the Big 10 prefers in a member school.