Bands' Success After Major Changes

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yet another "it's the slowest time of the year for football news" thread:

We all know bands which have fallen apart after the departure of a major member. Which ones, though, continued to either thrive or get even more successful:

Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett, founder, singer, songwriter was replaced after breaking down from schizophrenia after their first album. He was replaced by David Gilmour and Floyd, of course, shook the world with 'Dark Side of the Moon' and other great albums;

AC DC: Bon Scott, founder, singer, songwriter (?) died in 1980 from a drug overdose and was replaced by Brian Johnson. With album sales approaching 250 million and playing before concert crowds upwards of 1/4 million, they have continued to rock on. However, they recently lost bassist Malcolm Young, brother to lead guitarist Angus Young. Malcolm was replaced by a nephew, we'll see if they continue to put out the hits;

Fleetwood Mac: Founding member Peter Green, acknowledged as one of the top 3 rock guitarists ever, the man who wrote 'Black Magic Woman', left the band in 1970 while they were still a blues-rock/power trio band, saying he was disillusioned by proposed changes to the personnel and the music. Fleetwood Mac put out numerous hits during the '70s although I don't think they're still together;

Rolling Stones: They've gone through several slide guitarists over the years and continued to produce hits, at least in the late '60-'70s.

Van Halen: David Lee Roth, lead singer leaves and Sammie Hagar replaces him. They continued to put out hits. Not a fan so I don't know how long Sammie lasted. Eddie passed away in 2020 and they disbanded.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
karhu
Head Coach

Great job--you nailed all the big ones, I think.

Although...Bon Scott died after a night of drinking, not of an OD. Fell asleep in a car and couldn't roll over when he needed to vomit. The Spinal Tap bit is about him, I think. And he definitely wrote the lyrics to those songs, just like Brian Johnson wrote them afterwards.

In my universe, some others loom pretty large.

Sleaford Mods put out a few excellent albums before Andrew Fearn replaced Simon Parfrement, and for ten years now they've been the best band on the planet.

Guided by Voices changed their entire lineup after Under the Bushes, Under the Stars, and lost a brilliant songwriter/sometimes lead vocalist/frequent lead guitarist. Then Bob Pollard brought Cobra Verde on board wholesale, and they put out a whalloping album. As a knock-on, Doug Gillard hung on past the GbV/CV stretch, and he's done some amazing things through too many lineup changes to count.

The Replacements lost Bob Stinson, kept it up for one great album, and slid into meh as they became momentary superstars.

Black Flag did its best work with Keith Morris and Ron Reyes as its frontmen, but Henry Rollins is the guy lots of people remember.

Roxy Music had at least one cross-Atlantic hit with Brian Eno, but the "Love is the Drug" stuff came after he left.

Metallica made a name for itself with Dave Mustaine, but got big after he left to form Megadeth.

The Dixie Chicks (hey, I used to live in Texas) started out as a sort of cowgirl swing revival band, and if you liked that sort of thing, you knew about them. They replaced one of the originals with Natalie Maines (sp?), and hit the mainstream.

Closer to the old sod, Naked Raygun were a weird, fun band before Santiago Durango split to join Big Black. Raygun got bigger, John Haggerty has one of the greatest guitar tones ever, and Throb Throb is a masterpiece...but it and All Rise still have excellent Durango songs on them.

The most pathetic example I can think of is the Sex Pistols. Fire the guy who wrote the music to all those songs for a junkie who never bothers to play his instrument. Never record a decent song again and achieve immortality. Brilliant.

And then there are bands that carried on after big changes, but under new names.

The Minutemen lost D. Boon, eventually replaced them with a superfan, and did some terrific work as fIREHOSE.

The Mushuganas kept losing drummers (including Ebro Virumbrales) to bigger bands, so everyone but the guitarist switched instruments and they became Da Ropes, and then the Repos. More people probably remember the Mushuganas, but the Repos are a legitimately great band. And completely different somehow, despite having nearly the same lineup.
Last edited by karhu on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm Yet another "it's the slowest time of the year for football news" thread:

We all know bands which have fallen apart after the departure of a major member. Which ones, though, continued to either thrive or get even more successful:

Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett, founder, singer, songwriter was replaced after breaking down from schizophrenia after their first album. He was replaced by David Gilmour and Floyd, of course, shook the world with 'Dark Side of the Moon' and other great albums;

AC DC: Bon Scott, founder, singer, songwriter (?) died in 1980 from a drug overdose and was replaced by Brian Johnson. With album sales approaching 250 million and playing before concert crowds upwards of 1/4 million, they have continued to rock on. However, they recently lost bassist Malcolm Young, brother to lead guitarist Angus Young. Malcolm was replaced by a nephew, we'll see if they continue to put out the hits;

Fleetwood Mac: Founding member Peter Green, acknowledged as one of the top 3 rock guitarists ever, the man who wrote 'Black Magic Woman', left the band in 1970 while they were still a blues-rock/power trio band, saying he was disillusioned by proposed changes to the personnel and the music. Fleetwood Mac put out numerous hits during the '70s although I don't think they're still together;

Rolling Stones: They've gone through several slide guitarists over the years and continued to produce hits, at least in the late '60-'70s.

Van Halen: David Lee Roth, lead singer leaves and Sammie Hagar replaces him. They continued to put out hits. Not a fan so I don't know how long Sammie lasted. Eddie passed away in 2020 and they disbanded.
Sammy Hagar was the lead singer from the mid-80s to the mid-90s. I believe Hagar was actually the lead singer longer than David Lee Roth was.

Now for all of the crap Van Hagar gets, they really did put out a lot of great songs. It's just that David Lee Roth was so beloved, and justifiably so, that it was really hard for a lot of people to get past that change.

Right Now is one of the most popular Van Halen songs ever. Then you've got Poundcake, Runaround, Why Can't This Be Love, and Summer Nights. All of that with Sammy Hagar.

Debating whether or not the band had better songs under David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar is fair, but the band was phenomenal with both lead singers.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:37 am
Grizzled wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm Yet another "it's the slowest time of the year for football news" thread:

Sammy Hagar was the lead singer from the mid-80s to the mid-90s. I believe Hagar was actually the lead singer longer than David Lee Roth was.

Now for all of the crap Van Hagar gets, they really did put out a lot of great songs. It's just that David Lee Roth was so beloved, and justifiably so, that it was really hard for a lot of people to get past that change.

Right Now is one of the most popular Van Halen songs ever. Then you've got Poundcake, Runaround, Why Can't This Be Love, and Summer Nights. All of that with Sammy Hagar.

Debating whether or not the band had better songs under David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar is fair, but the band was phenomenal with both lead singers.
I'm not disrespecting Van Halen. I'm just one of those old "get off my lawn" guys, my music was late '60s/early '70s and I don't listen to many band since then. Meat Loaf's first album I consider a classic. Love Guns N' Roses' first album.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:58 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:37 am

I'm not disrespecting Van Halen. I'm just one of those old "get off my lawn" guys, my music was late '60s/early '70s and I don't listen to many band since then. Meat Loaf's first album I consider a classic. Love Guns N' Roses' first album.
Apologies. I was not trying to imply you were saying or not saying something. I might’ve miscommunicated that one.

Van Halen is just one of my faves so I was adding some commentary to that. Fun fact: I played them this morning for my deadlifts. Love that band. Have a flag up in my gym too.

Meat Loaf is amazing BTW. That voice!!!!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Genesis was doing fine for themselves, but didn't really explode until after Peter Gabriel left

Bernie Leadon was a primary, if not the, architect of the Eagles' early country rock sound. Their Greatest Hits of his era is an all-time bestseller - but they still got bigger after he left and they went harder rock.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Not a huge Metallica guy, but they hit their stride after Dave Mustain was kicked out of the band.

He then went on to have his own successful career with Megadeth.
IE
Hall of Famer

Love the old punk examples for sure.

Not sure if it counts, but everything counts I guess ... Depeche Mode had a great first album with Vince Clarke. Then he left and they got huge and so did he, with Yaz and then Erasure.

Rolling Stones didn't miss Brian Jones too much even though he was actually probably the band's key leader up until his death. They replaced him with multiple well-known guitarists. I love Ron Wood but IMO the Mick Taylor years were the best, and Sticky Fingers is my fav.

No offense to Brian Johnson, but IMO Bon Scott was head & shoulders better. IMO Johnson screams mostly. Back in Black was their biggest, and Angus has admitted that he Malcome and Bon wrote Hells Bells and Have a Drink on Me (but of course, right?). I'd bet there were more songs than that - but it would not be in their interest to admit it. That entire Album IMO smacks of Scott. And then after that their songwriting quality dropped substantially. Again just my opinion - even though I love For Those About to Rock and Who Made Who for sure.

Chicago sold a LOT of records after the death of Terry Kath. Peter Cetera became the ballad king. But they were much different without Kath - who Jimmy Hendrix referred to once as one of the best guitarists he'd ever seen.

Journey is still touring, incredibly, even after Steve Perry left long ago. They would probably not be able to credibly play if they hadn't found an astonishingly similar-sounding guy from the Philippines on YouTube who can perfectly mimic Perry's formidable voice. Interestingly, Journey were hypertalented even before Perry, who really just joined at Infinity and wasn't on the first few albums. Before that, Gregg Rolie and Neal Shon were well-known from Santana. And then later Jonathan Cain from The Babies replaced Rolie and they got even bigger. Anyway I guess they're releasing another album this month! lol

Alice in Chains have continued on without Layne Staley but even though Jerry Cantrell did sing quite a bit there's just little chance of replicating the past sound and Staley's distinctive heroine-fueled voice and style. Maybe they should watch Philippine YouTube and hope to get lucky!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:02 pm Not a huge Metallica guy, but they hit their stride after Dave Mustain was kicked out of the band.

Ach, I thought he was on Kill 'Em All. Turns out he wasn't. My bad.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

karhu
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:00 pm Genesis was doing fine for themselves, but didn't really explode until after Peter Gabriel left
Great call.

karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:10 pmNo offense to Brian Johnson, but IMO Bon Scott was head & shoulders better. IMO Johnson screams mostly. Back in Black was their biggest, and Angus has admitted that he Malcome and Bon wrote Hells Bells and Have a Drink on Me (but of course, right?). I'd bet there were more songs than that - but it would not be in their interest to admit it. That entire Album IMO smacks of Scott. And then after that their songwriting quality dropped substantially. Again just my opinion - even though I love For Those About to Rock and Who Made Who for sure.
Amen to that. Bon and Brian each seem like great guys, but Johnson's persona comes across as a guy talking (screaming) his way into looking tough. Bon's persona was more of a tough-enough guy out to have a good time. Louche--there's a word I haven't used in a while. A guy you can usually trust, except when he zooms off on his own. A little greasy, but not in a selfish or malevolent way. Johnson might be a good guy to have next to you in a fight; Bon is just as likely to start the fight in the first place. Things are just more interesting with Bon-persona buddy.

Oh, and "Shake a Leg" jumps out as one I always thought Bon must've written. Too entertainingly louche (might as well throw it out one more time) to be Johnson.

karhu
Head Coach

Ach, I forgot a big one. Joy Division releases two brilliant albums and some equally brilliant singles, then Ian Curtis hangs himself and the band continues as a boring dance outfit. Their first single is so successful that it bankrupts their record label.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:52 pm
Burl wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:02 pm Not a huge Metallica guy, but they hit their stride after Dave Mustain was kicked out of the band.

Ach, I thought he was on Kill 'Em All. Turns out he wasn't. My bad.
Nah, the band canned him by then. But Mustaine did write/cowrite half of Kill.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:46 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:58 am

Apologies. I was not trying to imply you were saying or not saying something. I might’ve miscommunicated that one.

Van Halen is just one of my faves so I was adding some commentary to that. Fun fact: I played them this morning for my deadlifts. Love that band. Have a flag up in my gym too.

Meat Loaf is amazing BTW. That voice!!!!
No problem, I wasn't coming down on you. I'm glad you have bands you really like, everyone needs great music in their lives. I grew up with my dad absolutely detesting my rock n'roll. I'll never say anything bad about others' tastes (even if they like Kpop or rap).
IE
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:43 pm Ach, I forgot a big one. Joy Division releases two brilliant albums and some equally brilliant singles, then Ian Curtis hangs himself and the band continues as a boring dance outfit. Their first single is so successful that it bankrupts their record label.
Man, I used to love New Order - and still spin their vinyl quite a bit. When Blue Monday came out, it was as groundbreaking as Donna Summer's I Feel Love back in the late '70s (a severely underrated sonic work of art, IMO). I think Blue Monday is still the best selling 12" single of all time. Anyway, I was DJ-ing in college in the early/mid 80s and I don't know what I would have done without some of those synth bands who made some really great dance tunes back in the day. I basically love all sorts of music (exception being classical which just doesn't do it for me because I love lyrics or in their absence something bluesy or fun).
karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:11 am
karhu wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:43 pm Ach, I forgot a big one. Joy Division releases two brilliant albums and some equally brilliant singles, then Ian Curtis hangs himself and the band continues as a boring dance outfit. Their first single is so successful that it bankrupts their record label.
Man, I used to love New Order - and still spin their vinyl quite a bit.
I liked 'em, too. Didn't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios (or my own), just got carried away with the Tony Wilson angle. "Well, I mean, no one listened to Joy Division, and fewer people are going to listen to this, so why not go nuts on the packaging? We'll lose five pence on each sale, but we can handle it. Probably owe it to the band after all that."

karhu
Head Coach

Now that I think of it, the king of 'em all might be...

...John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.

Eric Clapton's our guitarist! Nope, he's gone.

Peter Green's our guitarist!

Nope, Clapton's back.

Now he's gone again. Back to Green!

Oops, Green left and took Mick Fleetwood and John McVie with him. Good luck with that, assholes.

Mick Taylor, you're our guy!

Wait, Mick's leaving? What's his new gig? Oh, fuck, you've gotta be kidding me.

IE
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm Now that I think of it, the king of 'em all might be...

Nope, Clapton's back.

Oops, Green left and took Mick Fleetwood and John McVie with him. Good luck with that, assholes.

That's pretty amazing.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:32 pm
karhu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm Now that I think of it, the king of 'em all might be...

Nope, Clapton's back.

That's pretty amazing.
In my estimation, it's rivaled only by The Yarbirds. But yeah, that's quite a history.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:11 am I don't know what I would have done without some of those synth bands who made some really great dance tunes back in the day. I basically love all sorts of music (exception being classical which just doesn't do it for me because I love lyrics or in their absence something bluesy or fun).
This got me to thinking. I'm listening to Sibelius while I work today, and Scott Miller somehow got me into ars nova motets from beyond the grave. But weirdly enough for a guy who really does believe that Sleaford Mods are the best band in the world, electronic music always left me cold. At least I thought it did. Kraftwerk? They're pretty cool. Love Can and dig Devo, and they try to sound like robots. Rap is almost never recorded with a live band, so I couldn't get into it...unless it was produced by Prince Paul or the Bomb Squad , and then I was all over it. Big Black made 606s swing.

Turns out I liked electronic music and hip hop and all that after all. I just get bored with too much quantization. Every electonic(ish) band I liked did something to rough up the edges. Some had people emulating machines, so that if you listened closely enough, you could hear the human element. Some worked over their samples, either artfully processing them or layering them in really smart ways so that they interacted with the recording equipment of the day to give everything a bounce and character it wouldn't have otherwise had. Albini just spent more time programming his drum machine than others cared to.

And now I'm a dad who makes his own loops for his elementary-school kids to rap to. As long as the worm keeps turnin', I guess....

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Nope, Clapton's back.

Great example!