NFL QB Tiers 2022

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Summarized from The Athletic (no copying or cut/paste was used). 50 NFL coaches and execs rated the top 35 QBs in the league. Categories include:

Tier 1: The franchise guys. Erin, Mahomes, Brady, Allen, Herbert, Burrow
Tier 2: Holes in his game but, carries team sometimes but not always. Stafford, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Dak, Carr, Murray, Ryan
Tier 3: A starter but needs to be in an offense in which his mistakes are minimized (run heavy) or has a killer D. Cousins, Garropolo,
Mac Jones (!), Mayfield, Hurts, Wentz, Goff, Trevor Lawrence, Jameis
Tier 4: Still unproven or a vet who can't start all 17 games. Justin Fields comes in at #25 in the rankings in this tier.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IE
Hall of Famer

Since Stafford and Wilson have superbowls where they were really a key to winning, they really deserve to be in that top tier. Until Herbert and Burrow win one, they have to be in the 2nd tier. It was early last year, but Burrow had 3 INTs in a loss to the Bears last year. Not quite ready to deify him yet.

JF1 hasn't really earned anything other than an "unproven" label - and that includes not having been proven as having problems in his game beyond having had a lack of coaching.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I agree with Wilson being a Tier 1 guy. Stafford showed he can deliver with talent and coaching around him, which is no different from any QB. Herbert, Allen, and Burrow are knocking on the door but haven’t kicked it in yet. I like your criteria of having won the SB to be Tier 1.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:10 amJF1 hasn't really earned anything other than an "unproven" label - and that includes not having been proven as having problems in his game beyond having had a lack of coaching.
This.

I'm a huge JF1 fan, but he needs to show more than tantalizing flashes this season.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: