New OL projection

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:50 pm
karhu wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:16 pm A lot might depend on how well Poles can imitate John Lynch.
By annihilating some of our receivers?

Because I might not be against that.
"What do you think of your team's execution, Coach?"
"I think it's a good idea." — John McKay, Tampa Bay Bucs head coach Quote likely apocryphal
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Injuries to watch

...there’s no telling what will happen to an offensive line that already was being cobbled together each week. Starting right tackle Riley Reiff hurt his shoulder. That allowed Larry Borom to reclaim his spot — until he left with an ankle injury.

The Bears used guard Michael Schofield at right tackle after that, but Eberflus said Monday ‘‘all combinations’’ are up for consideration if Reiff and Borom are out against the Packers. He mentioned Schofield and Alex Leatherwood and, when asked, didn’t shoot down the option of moving right guard Teven Jenkins to that spot.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... ns-fumbles
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 am
Injuries to watch

...there’s no telling what will happen to an offensive line that already was being cobbled together each week. Starting right tackle Riley Reiff hurt his shoulder. That allowed Larry Borom to reclaim his spot — until he left with an ankle injury.

The Bears used guard Michael Schofield at right tackle after that, but Eberflus said Monday ‘‘all combinations’’ are up for consideration if Reiff and Borom are out against the Packers. He mentioned Schofield and Alex Leatherwood and, when asked, didn’t shoot down the option of moving right guard Teven Jenkins to that spot.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... ns-fumbles
I know we should never hope for injuries, but if it means we get to see Leatherwood on the field, I think I may be all for it. I fairly certain Reiff isn't coming back and Borom has started to "wear out his welcome" and don't know if I have much faith in him being more that what he has shown thus far and what he has shown thus far is that he likely shouldn't be our long term RT.
UOK
Site Admin

This is the perfect time to put Leatherwood out there at any position. You've got a handful of games left to essentially serve as tryouts for 2023, a season that I personally expect will have higher expectations and not be the turkey shoot this year turned out to be. Leatherwood's a relatively unknown commodity by the Bears evaluations, so put him in pads and see what the hell he can do. No better time than now.
wab
Mod

If they aren't going to try Leatherwood there, I would even be open to them trying Jenkins back out at RT. I know he struggled in the offseason, but it would be nice to see if he could even be the potential guy.

I have just seen pretty much what I need to see from Reiff/Borom/Schofield.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:02 pm This is the perfect time to put Leatherwood out there at any position. You've got a handful of games left to essentially serve as tryouts for 2023, a season that I personally expect will have higher expectations and not be the turkey shoot this year turned out to be. Leatherwood's a relatively unknown commodity by the Bears evaluations, so put him in pads and see what the hell he can do. No better time than now.
Given the choice for the rest of the season, I think RT would be better than RG. I don't like the idea of shifting Jenkins to RT to finish out the season. In the off season, maybe, but not right now given the level he is playing RG at. The fewer moving parts the better.

Now if Leatherwood gets to RT and lays an egg, maybe see about swapping them.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:07 pm If they aren't going to try Leatherwood there, I would even be open to them trying Jenkins back out at RT. I know he struggled in the offseason, but it would be nice to see if he could even be the potential guy.

I would love to see Jenkins at RT. T is a premium position, G is not. If Jenkins shows out like he has at G while playing RT, we may not have to spend a high pick or big FA $$ on a T. Leatherwood should be put in there at a minimum, like you said we know what we have in Reiff/Borom/Schofield and it's....not good. Use these remaining games to your advantage and see what these guys can do.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:10 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:07 pm If they aren't going to try Leatherwood there, I would even be open to them trying Jenkins back out at RT. I know he struggled in the offseason, but it would be nice to see if he could even be the potential guy.

I would love to see Jenkins at RT. T is a premium position, G is not. If Jenkins shows out like he has at G while playing RT, we may not have to spend a high pick or big FA $$ on a T. Leatherwood should be put in there at a minimum, like you said we know what we have in Reiff/Borom/Schofield and it's....not good. Use these remaining games to your advantage and see what these guys can do.
I think it's worth considering. I don't really care about moving parts at this point. Braxton Jones is the only player that has played the entire season at his assign position. They've been shuffling guys around since week one.

If you can go into the offseason with Jones and Jenkins cemented as the bookend tackles, that goes a long way toward fixing things.

Jones/Whitehair/Patrick/Leatherwood/Jenkins might not be that bad. I think you still need to draft a couple of guys, but it pushes it down the priority list.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Watch and enjoy...

Here's a bonus extra:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am definitely on board with trying Jenkins at RT
wab
Mod

Starting to look like Leatherwood will start at RT...

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

These injuries are either out of control or Poles is embracing the tank.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:18 pm These injuries are either out of control or Poles is embracing the tank.
Or Leatherwood is showing something in practice?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:01 pm Starting to look like Leatherwood will start at RT...
Well, that makes 1 thing to look forward to about this game
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm
wab wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:01 pm Starting to look like Leatherwood will start at RT...
Well, that makes 1 thing to look forward to about this game
Indeed, if Leatherwood shines at RT or even shows some promise then we could be locking up the right side of the O-line for next season before the end of this one.

Leatherwood RT, Jenkins RG.
Whitehair LG, B Jones LT - we could look to upgrade the left side in the off season and evaluate Patrick. I’d still draft a Center - there’s some decent ones - and cut Mustipher.

wab
Mod

Luckily ol Musty is a free agent after the season.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I would personally keep Jenkins at RG. Hes clearly good at the spot, and a pro bowl level caliber player there. I could see moving him to RT in a pinch like they are in now. Especially with leatherwood being a complete unknown on this team. However with Mustipher at center I dont like putting leatherwood at RG next to him to kicking Jenkins outside.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Another thing that Eberflus said is that he didn't anticipate moving Teven Jenkins back to right tackle because the Bears like the way he's been playing at right guard.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:27 pm I would personally keep Jenkins at RG. Hes clearly good at the spot, and a pro bowl level caliber player there. I could see moving him to RT in a pinch like they are in now. Especially with leatherwood being a complete unknown on this team. However with Mustipher at center I dont like putting leatherwood at RG next to him to kicking Jenkins outside.
I'm 100% with you on this. Watching him get to the second level and pancake LB's is fun and all, but the guy can absolutely square up and stonewall a defensive tackle with the best of em. He's so fucking strong and looks like a future all pro at Guard. Dont fuck that up!
otis
Pro Bowler

so, didn't leatherwood say he doesn't want to play right tackle and was cut from the raiders because he stunk at right tackle? did he change his mind and ability in the last 6 weeks? it would be great if he played like a 1st round pick but will his heart be in it?
dplank
Hall of Famer

This is great news IMO. We need to see what Leatherwood can do, the injuries are a convenient excuse to take a look at him. And if he plays well, Flus can just say he's sticking with a guy who earned his snaps.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

otis wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:35 pm so, didn't leatherwood say he doesn't want to play right tackle and was cut from the raiders because he stunk at right tackle? did he change his mind and ability in the last 6 weeks? it would be great if he played like a 1st round pick but will his heart be in it?
This is his last good clean shot at the opportunity of a lifetime with a shitload of money at stake and I can't see Poles and Flus dicking around very much with him. You bet he's aware of all that so my expectation is that he's going to bust his ass wherever they want him to play.

Let's get him out there and see what he's made of - count me as optimistic.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:43 pm This is great news IMO. We need to see what Leatherwood can do, the injuries are a convenient excuse to take a look at him. And if he plays well, Flus can just say he's sticking with a guy who earned his snaps.
Its also right around the correct time. He was signed at the beginning of the season. Got Mono which lasts about a month. Hes had time to learn the system and kick the side effects of the disease.

I personally dont have high expectations. I think based off the raiders hes a LG prospect. However let's see if he can play.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 am
dplank wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:43 pm This is great news IMO. We need to see what Leatherwood can do, the injuries are a convenient excuse to take a look at him. And if he plays well, Flus can just say he's sticking with a guy who earned his snaps.
Its also right around the correct time. He was signed at the beginning of the season. Got Mono which lasts about a month. Hes had time to learn the system and kick the side effects of the disease.

I personally dont have high expectations. I think based off the raiders hes a LG prospect. However let's see if he can play.
Agreed. He seems a nice fit at G but let’s see him play and if it’s at RT to see it that’s fine.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

In his first press interview with the bears he was asked about playing RT and he didn’t give any indication that he didn’t like playing there.
Essentially saying he just wants to play and wherever the coaches see him playing he’ll do that.

The whole RT at Raiders is overblown. His main position is LT, ok it’s a slightly different position but it’s not completely alien to him.

cblaz11
MVP

We need to add two high level starters this offseason….I don’t care which position, we cannot go into next year banking on guys like Leatherwood, Patrick, and Braxton. Sign two high end starters and let the chips fall where they may.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Here's a really stupid idea. Insert Leatherwood at LT and move Brax to RT. That way, you have the more athletically gifted guy at the position where he has excelled in the past, which requires a bit more movement skills and Jones to the other side where his non-elite feet will be less exploitable.

Yes, it's admittedly stupid to move Brax from where he's been playing all year. But it feels like your opportunity for success is greater with Leather on the left instead of throwing him into a role where he has recently failed. And it makes even more sense than moving Jenkins to RT, where he previously failed.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 am Here's a really stupid idea. Insert Leatherwood at LT and move Brax to RT. That way, you have the more athletically gifted guy at the position where he has excelled in the past, which requires a bit more movement skills and Jones to the other side where his non-elite feet will be less exploitable.

Yes, it's admittedly stupid to move Brax from where he's been playing all year. But it feels like your opportunity for success is greater with Leather on the left instead of throwing him into a role where he has recently failed. And it makes even more sense than moving Jenkins to RT, where he previously failed.
Agree Mike, it’s not as if Brax has excelled at left tackle.
He’s not been poor either, just average yet promising.

Leatherwood was a first round pick based on his left tackle play. Plug him in at left tackle and you might then have 2 good/excellent O linemen in Jenkins and Leatherwood.

wab
Mod

Context is important guys. Leatherwood failed in a scheme that was literally the opposite of his skillset. The Raiders ran a pure power scheme that relied on drive blocking.

Why the Raiders picked the absolute worst guy suited for that scheme, in the first round no less, is an absolute mystery.

Leatherwood is an incredible athlete with elite feet and movement skills. He's long and excels when he can use his hands to manipulate rushers and redirect them. He's not going to drive people off the ball.

He was also always going to be a project, and for the Raiders to ask him to step in right away into a scheme that was a terrible fit for his skills, was always going to fail.

Essentially his a more athletic and more talented Braxton Jones.