Update: Watson fined 5m/suspended 11 games

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Cleveland should be thrilled with this outcome. Seems nuts that Ridley got an indefinite suspension in light of this ruling.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

On a suspension penalty basis, Watson should've just gone ahead and raped those women like Roethlisberger allegedly did because that's what Big Ben got for alleged rape.

Rape.

Six games.
UOK
Site Admin

I'll be monitoring this topic. Tread lightly.

Personally, I find it bullshit, but this is the NFL and this is simply what they do.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:21 am Personally, I find it bullshit, but this is the NFL and this is simply what they do.
Agreed

Although it's debatable how much they do this by genuine preference and how much out of necessity.

AFAIK, every time they try to really drop the hammer, there's challenges and appeals and they lose.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 am On a suspension penalty basis, Watson should've just gone ahead and raped those women like Roethlisberger allegedly did because that's what Big Ben got for alleged rape.

Rape.

Six games.
Just to make an addendum to my own post.

Watson also sat out last year. 17 games.

So he's missing 23 games in total.

Big Ben missed 6.

I'm sure Big Ben being white and playing for the Rooney family and Watson being black playing for effectively an expansion team doesn't factor into the logic at all.

Goodell might as well wear a Klan hat to the office. He's a racist disgrace.

I'll leave it at that.
wab
Mod

I thought Watson sat out because he refused to play for the Texans?

At any rate, this thread doesn't seem to be anywhere good.
Heinz D.
MVP

Six games is ridiculous, and an affront to everybody imaginable.

Stephen A. is going off on this nonsense, and good for him--but in the end it won't make any difference.

The league is counting on Watson's play making the public at large forget all about his bad behavior. And sadly, they may be right on the money with that expectation.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Goodell can overrule the arbitrator and impose more games. But this was the process he wanted to follow and it's doubtful he will. Seems a bit lenient to me.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:21 pm Six games is ridiculous, and an affront to everybody imaginable.

Stephen A. is going off on this nonsense, and good for him--but in the end it won't make any difference.

The league is counting on Watson's play making the public at large forget all about his bad behavior. And sadly, they may be right on the money with that expectation.
Good post

Sadly it is very correct
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:05 am I thought Watson sat out because he refused to play for the Texans?

At any rate, this thread doesn't seem to be anywhere good.
Was it ever really explained exactly what the deal was with Watson not playing last year? I mean, everyone assumed the Texans were too terrified to put him on the field (and rightly so)...but was anything more said? I honestly don't recall.
Grizzled wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:42 am Goodell can overrule the arbitrator and impose more games. But this was the process he wanted to follow and it's doubtful he will. Seems a bit lenient to me.
Agreed. They'll let this stand, and pretend it's a harsh penalty. Then hope everyone forgets Watson is a pervert, and moves on...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't see race hurting Watson here, and I'm usually pretty quick to suspect that sort of thing. I do see his superstar status helping him in a big way in terms of a minimal penalty. While I don't put this behavior in the same realm as rape or even a Ray Rice cold cock sorta deal, it is absolutely disgusting behavior by someone who shouldn't have to resort to that sort of thing. I'm immensely disappointed in him and thought he was a better human than that - I'm sure he cares what I think lol.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Goodell has cemented his legacy for giving lip service but little follow through when dealing with players accused of violent acts against women. Disciplinary actions have also been harsher against less well known players while stars largely skate.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 am Goodell has cemented his legacy for giving lip service but little follow through when dealing with players accused of violent acts against women. Disciplinary actions have also been harsher against less well known players while stars largely skate.
Goodell had nothing to do with Watson's punishment (or lack thereof).
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

NFL has always been all over the board on suspensions.

Not knowing the evidence I don’t know what is correct, but there sure is a lot of smoke there with all the accusations.

If he did 1/3 of it he should be banned, but can you ban someone on accusations alone when the law failed to indict him on any of it?

It’s messed up, just like all NFL, or most, have been messed up for a long time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 am Not knowing the evidence I don’t know what is correct, but there sure is a lot of smoke there with all the accusations.

If he did 1/3 of it he should be banned, but can you ban someone on accusations alone when the law failed to indict him on any of it?
This is spot on. We aren’t privy to all the facts and we must rely on and trust our legal system even if it’s not always perfect. He wasn’t even indicted, let alone tried and convicted. There’s no video evidence either that can allow for the league to make their own reasonable assumptions of any sort (unlike Ray Rice or Robert Kraft). That all matters.

Unlike a guy like Mike Vick who was charged, stood trial, and found guilty of animal torture - he did time for it and was justly punished by the league (he also has a special place in hell waiting for him IMO).
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:07 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 am Not knowing the evidence I don’t know what is correct, but there sure is a lot of smoke there with all the accusations.

This is spot on. We aren’t privy to all the facts .
Thirded :thumbsup:

But we also must assume innocent until proven guilty. This is the fundamental that must apply to all, equally. Otherwise calls of discrimination may have some validity.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 am Goodell has cemented his legacy for giving lip service but little follow through when dealing with players accused of violent acts against women. Disciplinary actions have also been harsher against less well known players while stars largely skate.
Goodell had nothing to do with Watson's punishment (or lack thereof).
He can impose a stiffer suspension but will not do so.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

NFL appealed it, watch it get reduced to almost nothing would be about par for the course vs it getting lengthened.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Watson should sue the NFL if they are successful because they haven’t held the owners to the same standard: Kraft, Jones, Snyder. According to the Twitters there’s a clause in the latest CBA that says that the league has to treat them equally.

I don’t remember a big outcry when Kraft got busted, with video evidence. NFL just kinda ignored it. As did fans, why the selective outrage and unequal treatment? Not defending Watson, more bothered that the elites get away with shit with no consequences - and no one cares.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 pm
I don’t remember a big outcry when Kraft got busted, with video evidence. NFL just kinda ignored it. As did fans, why the selective outrage and unequal treatment? Not defending Watson, more bothered that the elites get away with shit with no consequences - and no one cares.
I mean, if you're gonna go that route, one of these instances was consensual, and one wasnt.

But to the greater point here, there's been a lot written about the length of his proposed suspension. Diana Moskovitz's reporting is a bit dry, but always spot on:
https://defector.com/deshaun-watsons-sh ... n-the-nfl/

It boils down to (and this was pointed out repeated by the judge who handed down the 6 game suspension) the fact that the NFL is constantly trying to make this stuff up as it goes. At this point you really cant compare it to Roesthlisberger's or Ray Rice's sentences, because those were handed down under different personal conduct policies.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 pm Watson should sue the NFL if they are successful because they haven’t held the owners to the same standard: Kraft, Jones, Snyder. According to the Twitters there’s a clause in the latest CBA that says that the league has to treat them equally.

Very good points but not unlikely how these type of situations play out. Lesser known players have also been hammered harder than stars since 2014 in other cases.

The NFL has appealed, they're out for blood. At least a 1 year suspension plus monetary damages. The NFL is not challenging the facts in the case. Under the 2020 NFL-NFLPA collective bargaining agreement ('CBA'), the factual findings of the Disciplinary Officer are binding and may not be appealed. It is expected that the Players Union will file an injunction in federal court to challenge this action.
IE
Hall of Famer

The league isn't a court.

The different ways that the league appears to look at various crimes or illegal activities is a little shocking. I think we just need to realize it is not about the league's take on what is right or wrong or seriousness of a crime, but is more about the league protecting itself (protecting shareholder value, if you will). Watson's situation is more about HIM and the reflection upon him. It doesn't really impact the game at all. OTOH Ridley's gambling thing is a hypersonic cruise missle hitting the broadside of the league, IF there is any perception of players gambling or having any conflicting interest that could directly impact games. The reason the league's popularity and team value is growing so much (LOL at the anti-Kap racists who claimed that people were losing interest in the NFL I mean seriously what a joke) is because of gaming, gambling and fantasy stuff, enabled by tech. Any threat to that is THE most serious crime in the NFL.

Let Watson be punished in the criminal and civil courts, and missing a half season or whatever of games is about the right punitive level for actions that speak more about him than the league. It doesn't diminish the league much at all, really.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:10 pm The league isn't a court.

The different ways that the league appears to look at various crimes or illegal activities is a little shocking. I think we just need to realize it is not about the league's take on what is right or wrong or seriousness of a crime, but is more about the league protecting itself (protecting shareholder value, if you will). Watson's situation is more about HIM and the reflection upon him. It doesn't really impact the game at all. OTOH Ridley's gambling thing is a hypersonic cruise missle hitting the broadside of the league, IF there is any perception of players gambling or having any conflicting interest that could directly impact games. The reason the league's popularity and team value is growing so much (LOL at the anti-Kap racists who claimed that people were losing interest in the NFL I mean seriously what a joke) is because of gaming, gambling and fantasy stuff, enabled by tech. Any threat to that is THE most serious crime in the NFL.

Let Watson be punished in the criminal and civil courts, and missing a half season or whatever of games is about the right punitive level for actions that speak more about him than the league. It doesn't diminish the league much at all, really.
This is actually a really good take on the whole thing. Good post.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I went and read the judges decision, which is very well worded and goes through the thought process/reasoning behind the 6 games.

Basically, it’s precedence that kept it from being more than 6 games. It is also very critical of how the NFL handled past conduct infractions.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 pm Watson should sue the NFL if they are successful because they haven’t held the owners to the same standard: Kraft, Jones, Snyder. According to the Twitters there’s a clause in the latest CBA that says that the league has to treat them equally.

Are you that foolish that you think its the same thing?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:27 pm I went and read the judges decision, which is very well worded and goes through the thought process/reasoning behind the 6 games.

Basically, it’s precedence that kept it from being more than 6 games. It is also very critical of how the NFL handled past conduct infractions.
Its true in several respects BUT

Misses the biggest difference.

27+

They could have gone bigger because the scope is so much worse.

The argument the precedents were for 1 incident

There is a super fair argument that you would get a different sentence for 27 Assaults v. 1
RichH55
Hall of Famer

You do know that prostitution and sexual assault are vastly different crimes right?
dplank
Hall of Famer

You don’t know shit and are getting into “obnoxious Rich” mode again. Poking and insulting across every thread you can find.

The “spa” that Kraft was caught at is up in Jupiter, I live very close. Local news was all over this story. The parlor isn’t just a sex worker shop, the girls there were smuggled into the country basically as sex slaves at young ages. It’s Epstein level evil and of course has been busted and shut down - likely just relocated so rich fucks like Kraft can continue to plow young girls with no consequences. We have stories like this a lot around here, girl smuggling gone wrong stuff.

Watsons behavior is shameful, but do you know any massage therapists? Aggressive patrons are far from unusual even if his actions are way out of line and borderline psychotic given the frequency.

I see Krafts behavior as worse. He knew the backstory of the place, it’s sadly common around here. This comes from someone who believes both drugs and prostitution should just be legal. But child sex trafficking should be punishable by death.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:40 am You don’t know shit and are getting into “obnoxious Rich” mode again. Poking and insulting across every thread you can find.

The “spa” that Kraft was caught at is up in Jupiter, I live very close. Local news was all over this story. The parlor isn’t just a sex worker shop, the girls there were smuggled into the country basically as sex slaves at young ages. It’s Epstein level evil and of course has been busted and shut down - likely just relocated so rich fucks like Kraft can continue to plow young girls with no consequences. We have stories like this a lot around here, girl smuggling gone wrong stuff.

Watsons behavior is shameful, but do you know any massage therapists? Aggressive patrons are far from unusual even if his actions are way out of line and borderline psychotic given the frequency.

I see Krafts behavior as worse. He knew the backstory of the place, it’s sadly common around here. This comes from someone who believes both drugs and prostitution should just be legal. But child sex trafficking should be punishable by death.
Its pretty terrible to defend Watson like this.

Predators tend to have a pattern of behavior. Which of course he fits to a T.

The "do you know any massage therapists" is really bad. Look again at what you are saying.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

What a subject to tear into on a Sunday morning.