Update: Roquan traded to Ravens

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

People were literally comparing Ray Lewis play style (never a great thing) - And literally comparing Ray Lewis Stats to Roquon ( Is literal stat comparisons a comparison to the player)

People posting approval (not questioning- like wait - pump the brakes)
"Last two players with 300+ tackles and 30+ tackles for loss in a 2-year span in NFL history:

Roquan Smith (2020-2021)
Ray Lewis (1999-2000)

That's called dominance 😤"

People saying he was basically as good as Urlacher - literal thing that was said. Not play style - not stats - Just basically as good as Urlacher . People shoudn't say things like this IMHO

"He can be a HOF player on his current trajectory, and I can see him being as good as Urlacher " "He’s also the best cover linebacker in the league"

Is any of that as foolish as comparing Mooney to Ty Hill? No. Don't do that. You be the judge. Of course this will be called a strawman too when Hill hits 2000 yards. "I never compared Mooney to Ty Hill! Just noted they were both WR!!!!!!"
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think Roquon is a good football player - NO bum!

But I constantly note the overrating - of like all the players (until we turn on them and then they are the WORST!) (*)

Allen Robinson "Perennial 1500 Yard WR!" "Top 5 WR? At least Top 8". (Until he was the worst and his run blocking showed him was sabotaging the teams, yadda yadda)
Roquon stuff as noted
Mooney - Literally comped to Ty Hill. (This was a thing that happened)

Etc etc.

(*) I feel like Roquon didn't get the full bum treatment like so many others got - I was one of the Least "Pro-Roquon" guys on the Board and I never said anything like that. I think the Ravens will enjoy having him and he's a good player.

I do tend to point out the vast overrating stuff followed usually by the pendulum swinging way too far the other direction - Probably will keep doing that when the next version of Mooney is equal to Ty Hill stuff drops
wab
Mod

This has run its course. Roquan is a Raven and I don't give a lick about Allen Robinson or Tyreek Hill or any of these other BS comparisons.
wab
Mod

wab
Mod

I've unlocked this and moved it to the appropriate forum. Act like adults.
LacertineForest
MVP

That's some serious coin. Good for Roquan - glad he got the deal he was looking for. I wish there was a way he could have stayed, but I do think, as an organization, the Bears benefit from spending that money elsewhere.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That's a lot of jack!!!! Glad Bears didn't pony up that $$. Agreed, that money here will go further.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Clearly Poles didn't value Ro as highly.

Baltimore is also at a very different developmental stage than the Bears, which contributed to the decision. They don't happen in a vacuum.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

He got more than I thought someone would give him.
But the much more important question is "is he going to make them happy with that contract?".

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:31 pm Clearly Poles didn't value Ro as highly.

Baltimore is also at a very different developmental stage than the Bears, which contributed to the decision. They don't happen in a vacuum.
And there's that, too.
This could just be one of those deals that's a win for all the parties involved.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

It'll be interesting to see how much money is guaranteed and what off setting language is used. Contract structure goes a long way towards how much the contract is actually worth.
If he got everything he wanted, good for him.
Still glad we didn't give it to him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Umbali
MVP

I loved Roquan. That being said, I would prefer spending that same money in FA on stud LT to protect Fields.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm I loved Roquan. That being said, I would prefer spending that same money in FA on stud LT to protect Fields.
Not sure that guy is available this year but there are some solid ones who might become available.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:01 pm I've unlocked this and moved it to the appropriate forum. Act like adults.
I legit LOL'd at this
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:24 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 pm I just wanted to say that having argued with DP over Ray Lewis and lost (about Lewis' speed when he came into the league), I can guarantee that in no way, shape, or form was DP comparing how good Roquan is in reference to how good Lewis was. DP holds Lewis on more than a bit of a pedestal. No way would he do that. I'm sure he was more comparing their styles rather than actual on field performance.

This is one of Rich's favorite Troll strawman techniques. It's like I once said that David Montgomery's running style, his take no prisoner/never die easy, style reminds me a lot of Walter Payton. Rich immediately jumps on me for comparing him to Payton. Said I can't do that. I reaffirmed that I was comparing their on field performance (Walter is one of my three childhood heroes). Of course, Rich wouldn't let it go, like the troll he is. You know who he compared Monty to? Matt Forte. lol You know, the guy who could be tackled by a shoelace, but was extremely fast. Again, I say that Montgomery is much closer to Walter in style than Forte. And that's not to say that he's EITHER of them. Just that his STYLE is very similar to Walter's.

So yeah, I can see Rich's ridiculous strawman is occurring once again with DP. He has NO point. Only stupid ass, disingenuous trolling.
I remember once when IE was on board with trading Olson. I was not.

We disagreed.

We don’t bring it up to each other 11 years later.

Everyone should do that.
Probably because I admitted in hindsight & seeing what he became I was wrong to have supported the trade. Obviously. I do believe my rationale at the time was reasonable. It just didn't work out the way I thought and hoped, as part of a top NFL offense under Martz. Good for Olsen that it worked out well for him - he's a good dude.

On Roquan the way I'm coping with losing a young and elite player is by focusing on replacement level and relative value of the position.

It is apt that you brought up the Olsen situation, wab - because I see them as similar in that both cases involve a good player being perceived by a new organization as less valuable than many may assume or believe, based on the position they play (how the system values that role). In that sense the current rationale seems reasonable and Roquan playing LB at that price is not a fit in the new regime's vision of what they need to do an how they need to allocate resources to be successful. They're analytics focused. It may well be that they dont' want to pay $200K per solo tackle. It would not be logical to conclude "Olsen didn't work therefore Smith won't either". Whether it works out is TBD.

In the meantime, I'm on board with the plan - I see them following it consistently and deliberately, and in ways that matter it appears to be working in my view. Therefore, "A" grades at the end of the first season here. I fully understand why others who are not on board with the plan feel more comfortable in picking out undesirable parts or minimizing the value of near-term good things (including getting that first pick). I just can't criticize something I know is part of a plan I claim to like. I don't get to pick out parts of someone else's plan and change them - because then it would become my plan & I don't perceive myself to be a peer of an NFL GM.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The ball is clearly in Roquan's hands - this is his big shot to prove to everyone just who he is.

my 2 cents
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS