Len Dawson RIP at 87

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I was born and lived in KC. We moved to Chicago in '62 when I was 6. I've been a Bears and Chiefs fan since '63. While the Bears were mediocre after their World Championship in '63, the Chiefs were neat or at the top of the AFL, culminating in their Super Bowl beatdown win over the Viqueens in Super Bowl IV, 1970. Dawson was, simply, a great QB. He had many battles with other great QBs from the Raiders and Jets (Joe Willie).

We all know the picture of Smoking Jay. This, however, was taken during Super Bowl 1 in 1967 and has become an icon:

[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
docc
Head Coach

Len,,relaxing between plays..with a cig and a brew.. I remember pictures of Yankees bench where almost everyone was smoking,,and beer cans obvious..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I was a kid before sports took over the internet so I didn't have that many resources to read and get knowledge about football.

We did have HBO and they had Inside The NFL with Len Dawson, Nick Buoniconti and then eventually they added Chris Collinsworth.

It was a great show and there was a period of a few years where I didn't miss an episode.

Len Dawson was my favorite on that show.

RIP.