Injury Tracker/Updates

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Rather than start new threads for individual players, I thought it might be useful to have a single thread to keep up-to-date on injured players and their recovery.

So let's start with some good news...
Bears WRs Byron Pringle, Velus Jones return to practice

Two of the Bears’ top four wide receivers practiced Monday, setting the table for them to play in the team’s season opener Sunday against the 49ers.

Byron Pringle, who has missed almost all of the preseason because of a quad injury, and Velus Jones, who has been in and out of practice with undisclosed injuries dating to the start of preseason games, both participated in a light practice. So did center Lucas Patrick, who needed surgery after breaking his thumb on the second day of training camp.

The Bears could play Patrick at either center —or, if his right hand is encumbered by a cast, guard. Head coach Matt Eberflus said that decision will be made Wednesday or Thursday.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... t-eberflus
Heinz D.
MVP

I hope that if they wholeheartedly want Jenkins to play guard, then he starts there and Patrick is depth until his hand is right. (Provided he can't play center, that is.)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Benching Teven would be stupid IMO. Patrick is our C, he should play there when ready. We need to let this unit gel, tinker time is over.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm Benching Teven would be stupid IMO. Patrick is our C, he should play there when ready. We need to let this unit gel, tinker time is over.
I'd leave it to the coaching staff

Play your best 5. If Patrick isn't ready to snap - then you'll be making a change on the line at some point regardless (Either Patrick starting at Guard then moving to Center when he can snap - OR Patrick on the bench then starting when the thumb is good to go

Not sure you can really avoid "tinkering" here
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not the old days when guys would use a cast as a club against DL. Keep Jenkins at RG, use the backup center until Patrick is fully healed.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I agree with those who want Jenkins to stay at RG and Patrick to wait until he can play center before he returns. It doesn't make sense to put a guy who's been out for weeks in at a position that isn't expected to be permanent, let alone at the expense of a young player who has shown a lot of potential during the preseason.

Here's what's coming from the Bears however:
“We’ve got to look and see where he is, what he can handle, what he can do,” head coach Matt Eberflus said. “And then go from there.”

If Patrick’s right hand isn’t healthy enough to snap, he could play right guard instead of Teven Jenkins. That would leave Sam Mustipher at center, the position he’s played all preseason long.

The Bears have been working Patrick at both positions, Eberflus said. The head coach left open the possibility that Patrick’s return could lead to changes across the line, but said “it’ll be a Wednesday-Thursday assessment” of his health that decides where he plays.

“Just how he’s moving around, his conditioning level, where he’s at,” Eberflus siad. “He can certainly function at a bunch of different spots for us. We’re looking at all those.”

Patrick declined comment Monday.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... t-eberflus
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Another injury nugget from the same article quoted above:
Every Bears player practiced Monday except for rookie defensive end Dominique Robinson, who suffered a leg injury in the preseason finale against the Browns.
That's encouraging going into Week One, especially given how many players missed time during the preseason with various ailments.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I’ve been speculating that Dom Robinson was gonna be an IR red shirt. What are y’all’s thoughts on that injury?
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:43 pm I’ve been speculating that Dom Robinson was gonna be an IR red shirt. What are y’all’s thoughts on that injury?
Well, they haven't put him on IR, so it doesn't seem to be a pretend injury, if that's what you mean.

I have been expecting him to spend a lot of time on the inactive list, even before that occurred.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Agreed about Patrick.

Just sit him until he can play the position he's here to play.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:14 pm I agree with those who want Jenkins to stay at RG and Patrick to wait until he can play center before he returns. It doesn't make sense to put a guy who's been out for weeks in at a position that isn't expected to be permanent, let alone at the expense of a young player who has shown a lot of potential during the preseason.

Here's what's coming from the Bears however:.
A rather large mistake, if they do end up going that route. Could actually cost them the game against the 9ers.

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:43 pm I’ve been speculating that Dom Robinson was gonna be an IR red shirt. What are y’all’s thoughts on that injury?
I don't think the Bears can afford to tuck him away all season. They need him to produce.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:46 pm
Well, they haven't put him on IR, so it doesn't seem to be a pretend injury, if that's what you mean.

I have been expecting him to spend a lot of time on the inactive list, even before that occurred.
With his RAS score, I would imagine he'd be a pretty significant contributor on special teams.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

He needs snaps. It’s not qb you can get away with down times. Plus it’s an easier position
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If the injury requires him to miss a few weeks then I think he's potentially better off on IR where he can continue to change his body and work on his skills without the distraction of prepping for gamedays where he just plays ST. The Bears just signed Kingsley Jonathan and 5 DEs feels like alot. I'm just pondering. Maybe Robinson is less hurt and more ready to contribute than I'm giving him credit for
xyt in the discord chats
Phibbulous
Rookie

Pringle missing all of preseason and Jones missing a lot of it is concerning. Hopefully they can develop rapport with Fields’ quickly in practices and games.

Having Patrick back at C would be a really nice benefit to the OL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Phibbulous wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 am Pringle missing all of preseason and Jones missing a lot of it is concerning. Hopefully they can develop rapport with Fields’ quickly in practices and games.

It would but we can survive a game or two with Mustipher I suppose. I more worried about edge protection this game, Bosa is brutal. I would absolutely NOT play Patrick over Jenkins at G and disrupt the mojo we have gelling right now. Borom is going to be tested, as is Getsy and his ability to scheme help.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am
Phibbulous wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 am Pringle missing all of preseason and Jones missing a lot of it is concerning. Hopefully they can develop rapport with Fields’ quickly in practices and games.

It would but we can survive a game or two with Mustipher I suppose. I more worried about edge protection this game, Bosa is brutal. I would absolutely NOT play Patrick over Jenkins at G and disrupt the mojo we have gelling right now. Borom is going to be tested, as is Getsy and his ability to scheme help.
Plus Jenkins is in game shape and has played pretty well, unlike Patrick who hasn't played at all and has a club (or something) on his right hand. I will be jaw dropped if they sit Jenkins.

Why do I think Flus's talk about Patrick moving to RG is a way of saying "don't get complacent" to Jenkins?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

This is speculation but if Jenkins did have less than stellar attitude earlier, then turned it around and earned a spot on the line before performing decently in preseason, then doesn't get a show in a regular season game because someone is 75% back from injury... well you can see that ending badly.

Of course no one has really earned anything yet and you'd prefer everyone to be great team players above all else, but a big part of winning is managing your roster and that includes personality.

If we were already pushing for the playoffs or whatever it'd be different but this is a rebuild year, even if one where I hope we get 9 or 10 wins.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 am

Plus Jenkins is in game shape and has played pretty well, unlike Patrick who hasn't played at all and has a club (or something) on his right hand. I will be jaw dropped if they sit Jenkins.

Why do I think Flus's talk about Patrick moving to RG is a way of saying "don't get complacent" to Jenkins?
Everything they do seems to be of the “Jenkins work harder” variety. For better or worse

Maybe Jenkins having more meats than arbys was an issue?
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 am

I wonder if, rather than starting Mustipher at C, they would consider sliding Whitehair to C, and slotting Patrick to LG until his hand is healed enough to snap?
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It sounds like it's debatable which player gives Fields the best chance to succeed and maybe Flus is right to clearly get the idea in every players head that the guy the coaches believe will do the best job for the team - on any given Sunday - is the guy who is going to start. Nobody's got their name inscribed on any stone tablet depth chart.

I guess I can live with a little "team-first" drama coming from Coach Eberflus. :D
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

BreadNCircuses wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:00 pm I wonder if, rather than starting Mustipher at C, they would consider sliding Whitehair to C, and slotting Patrick to LG until his hand is healed enough to snap?
I doubt it. Whitehair hasn't played center at all during the offseason let alone the preseason as far as I can recall and Poles spoke positively about Mustipher the other day.
IE
Hall of Famer

Mustipher is not nearly as bad as what people here reflexively seem to consider him. It's like some consider him Coward bad - and that is ridiculous. This new regime means business and if they've concluded he's a viable guy at multiple positions (seems like it) and the best backup Center then how about everyone give the guy a break until meaningful football snaps are taken in 2022? I personally thought Mustipher wouldn't make the team. But guess what? He earned the spot. So how about a little optimism and a little rope for the young guy?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:31 am Mustipher is not nearly as bad as what people here reflexively seem to consider him. It's like some consider him Coward bad - and that is ridiculous. This new regime means business and if they've concluded he's a viable guy at multiple positions (seems like it) and the best backup Center then how about everyone give the guy a break until meaningful football snaps are taken in 2022? I personally thought Mustipher wouldn't make the team. But guess what? He earned the spot. So how about a little optimism and a little rope for the young guy?
I had to watch him be average for my favorite college team and now I have to watch him be worse for my favorite NFL team. I'm all out of optimism for him.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:35 am
IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:31 am Mustipher is not nearly as bad as what people here reflexively seem to consider him. It's like some consider him Coward bad - and that is ridiculous. This new regime means business and if they've concluded he's a viable guy at multiple positions (seems like it) and the best backup Center then how about everyone give the guy a break until meaningful football snaps are taken in 2022? I personally thought Mustipher wouldn't make the team. But guess what? He earned the spot. So how about a little optimism and a little rope for the young guy?
I had to watch him be average for my favorite college team and now I have to watch him be worse for my favorite NFL team. I'm all out of optimism for him.
So they're just desperate? Or incompetent? With all the moves they've done at other positions and effectively none at Center, that sort of flies in the face of what people are saying about him. OK fine on the ND past and Nagy's Keystone Cops regime. But maybe he's gotten stronger or more athetic or is turning into an Oline Krootz type guy that gets knocked on his ass a few times a game but also is very smart and the sort of leader in the middle of the line that doesn't grow on trees? It is very weird to me that they seem to like him yet his rep is so un-salvageable to fans to know so much less than they do.

What if he plays better and the Oline overall plays well.... what if he holds Patrick on the bench? Maybe he won't - but It seems to me even winning the backup C job is an accomplishment. Like I said I was projecting him to not make the team. But I have to assume there are reasons why he did.... THEY seem to like him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Interestingly the Bears depth chart lists Patrick as the starting center and the backup RG. That suggests (although obviously such things are fluid) that in the event Whitehair gets injured they'll opt to slide Patrick across to RG and bring Mustipher in at center.

Of course this is all moot in terms of current injury updates. We just need to wait until we hear about Patrick's thumb and whether he can snap at the moment.
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:36 am Interestingly the Bears depth chart lists Patrick as the starting center and the backup RG. That suggests (although obviously such things are fluid) that in the event Whitehair gets injured they'll opt to slide Patrick across to RG and bring Mustipher in at center.

Of course this is all moot in terms of current injury updates. We just need to wait until we hear about Patrick's thumb and whether he can snap at the moment.
I know Patrick played RG but not sure about left. I'd guess that backup role would be Carter at this point. Which I am A-OK with.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Apologies. Obviously I meant Patrick being the backup LG and going to that position not RG if Whitehair goes down. (Probably getting muddled after all the talk about Patrick replacing Jenkins at RG!)

Carter is indeed listed as the backup RG.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am
So they're just desperate? Or incompetent? With all the moves they've done at other positions and effectively none at Center, that sort of flies in the face of what people are saying about him. OK fine on the ND past and Nagy's Keystone Cops regime. But maybe he's gotten stronger or more athetic or is turning into an Oline Krootz type guy that gets knocked on his ass a few times a game but also is very smart and the sort of leader in the middle of the line that doesn't grow on trees? It is very weird to me that they seem to like him yet his rep is so un-salvageable to fans to know so much less than they do.

What if he plays better and the Oline overall plays well.... what if he holds Patrick on the bench? Maybe he won't - but It seems to me even winning the backup C job is an accomplishment. Like I said I was projecting him to not make the team. But I have to assume there are reasons why he did.... THEY seem to like him.
Well yeah, obviously they see something in him or he wouldn't be on the team. I don't know what it is, outside of intelligence because he certainly doesn't meet their physical or athletic profile.

As I've mentioned before, Poles very clearly has a thing for the try-hard underdog types. That's about the only reason I can come up with.

Good for him for sticking around, but nothing is going to change my opinion on him, strictly speaking as a fan.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am
He's not holding Patrick on the bench dude, c'mon. Patrick has hardly practiced and still was penciled in as the starter.