Injury Tracker/Updates

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 am
IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am

What if he plays better and the Oline overall plays well.... what if he holds Patrick on the bench? Maybe he won't - but It seems to me even winning the backup C job is an accomplishment. Like I said I was projecting him to not make the team. But I have to assume there are reasons why he did.... THEY seem to like him.
He's not holding Patrick on the bench dude, c'mon. Patrick has hardly practiced and still was penciled in as the starter.
I think what you picked out here to emphasize completely misses the point of what I said across 3 sentences.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
LacertineForest
MVP

I don't know if this means he's good enough to snap a ball or not, but....

RichH55
Hall of Famer

For all the sturm und drang about Pig Simmons and Mustipher - the new regime has zero ties to them and kept both around in some capacity
RichH55
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm I don't know if this means he's good enough to snap a ball or not, but....

Good news here.

Patrick also is a known quantity to the OC - so they - in theory - could get away with giving him more time to recover
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

VJJ didn’t practice again yesterday. The saying is the best ability is availability. Should we be getting concerned about Jones?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:40 am VJJ didn’t practice again yesterday. The saying is the best ability is availability. Should we be getting concerned about Jones?
No. If it drags on all year maybe. No need to rush a player with a hamstring issue back, especially when that players biggest weapon is speed.
Z Bear
MVP

I heard on a few of the podcasts that Lucas Patrick has a massive club on his right hand. If that is true Mustipher will be playing center for at least the first month with Patrick being the swing guard.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

This is what Chris Emma of 670 The Score had to say on TTNL last night:
He's got that big cast on now. I got to talk to Lucas Patrick today. I mean to put it bluntly, it's a huge cast. And the snapping angle for your hand is set. I don't think he can snap with that. I was at practice today, I was looking at that. I didn't see him snap a ball. I saw him like going through the motion.

He was asked today "Can you snap with that?" He said "That's a great question" and then kinda deadpanned and that was it. You can't have a center who can't snap. Like that's his snapping hand.

He's sliding to right guard if he cannot snap and I don't know if he can or not; I wasn't privvy to all of practice today,. But the other thing too guys is Sam Mustipher has really built the confidence of this staff. I know he struggled a little over 17 starts last year, he hasn't exactly earned the confidence of this fanbase, but he's earned the confidence of this regime, this regime that's been quick to push aside guys that they inherited. So it's noteworthy.

Chris Morgan is seen as an excellent developer of offensive linemen and Sam Mustipher's like a rising guy. Like this is a guy that came in as an undrafted free agent and has continued to develop. He's really bright, he connects well with Justin Fields, gets the reads out for the offense. There's something to be said for that... so it's a long way of saying I don't know what's next for Tevin Jenkins, whether he's starting at right guard or whether he's pushed to the second team, but what I do know is that they see something in him that might not have been there a month ago.
This uncertainty about Patrick and the C/RG is the most noteworthy injury storyline leading up to this opening game. I'm pulling for Jenkins to start over a guy just coming back from injury and playing with a cast any day of the week and twice on Sundays!
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Doesn't seem like Velus is going to play this week.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So much for playing this during the game on Sunday when he scores....

The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:55 pm So much for playing this during the game on Sunday when he scores....

OK please TMP.

The original:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 am
IE wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am

What if he plays better and the Oline overall plays well.... what if he holds Patrick on the bench? Maybe he won't - but It seems to me even winning the backup C job is an accomplishment. Like I said I was projecting him to not make the team. But I have to assume there are reasons why he did.... THEY seem to like him.
He's not holding Patrick on the bench dude, c'mon. Patrick has hardly practiced and still was penciled in as the starter.
He also has a big club cast on his snapping hand...so there's that.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

OL Alex Leatherwood is on the non-football injury list due to mononucleosis, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. Leatherwood will be out the next four games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-news-round ... ay-sept-14
I was a bit worried when I saw the link to the league injury article that said 'Roundup: Bears OT has mono'. Leatherwood wasn't going to be playing any time soon so, whilst I wish him well, I'm relieved it's not Jones or Borom.

For those not from the US, mononucleosis is also known as glandular fever aka 'the kissing disease'. Let's hope Leatherwood wasn't running around kissing his teammates in excitement after Sunday's victory!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:18 pm
OL Alex Leatherwood is on the non-football injury list due to mononucleosis, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. Leatherwood will be out the next four games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-news-round ... ay-sept-14
I was a bit worried when I saw the link to the league injury article that said 'Roundup: Bears OT has mono'. Leatherwood wasn't going to be playing any time soon so, whilst I wish him well, I'm relieved it's not Jones or Borom.

For those not from the US, mononucleosis is also known as glandular fever aka 'the kissing disease'. Let's hope Leatherwood wasn't running around kissing his teammates in excitement after Sunday's victory!
Can you get it from riding on the monorail? ;)

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:32 pm OK please TMP.
The original:
I've heard the song a lot, but I don't think I've ever heard that original version. It has such a Doors feels to it:

Love it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Some positive news:
Bears rookie WR Velus Jones back at practice, hopeful to debut vs. Packers

Bears rookie wide receiver Velus Jones was back at practice Wednesday, though still limited by a hamstring injury. He was hopeful to make his NFL debut Sunday night against the Packers — “That’s the plan,” he said — but uncertain.

Jones, a third-rounder who was the Bears’ highest draft pick on offense, has been in and out since arriving at Halas Hall. He had repeated issues with his hamstring in the preseason and was out all last week leading into the opener.

“I’m making sure it heals all the way so that I won’t keep having these issues, just trying to stay on top of it,” Jones said. “And when I do get on top of it, trying to make sure it never comes back.”

When he finally debuts, he’s envisioning big things.

“I’m looking to score every time the ball hits my hands,” he said. “I’m really good with yards after catch and especially with yards after contact. That’s why I’m pushing to make sure I’m as healthy as possible, so I can be that dynamic player I know I can be.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... an-brisker
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:43 pm
The Grizzly One wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:32 pm OK please TMP.
The original:
I've heard the song a lot, but I don't think I've ever heard that original version. It has such a Doors feels to it:

Love it.
Nice call TMP. Exact same era too... 1970? Believe it or not, I still have the 45!

Interesting that they were Swedish I think and spoke literally no English. They had to learn the lyrics phonetically.

I'm jazzed to see Velus but don't want them to rush him and exacerbate the injury.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Your right about the English. She (Mariska Veres) couldn't speak English at the time of this song. She read it phonetically, but somebody misprinted it. Listen carefully and you will hear her say "the God(n)ess on the mountain top."

I love that song.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:56 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Love it.
Nice call TMP. Exact same era too... 1970? Believe it or not, I still have the 45!

Interesting that they were Swedish I think and spoke literally no English. They had to learn the lyrics phonetically.

I'm jazzed to see Velus but don't want them to rush him and exacerbate the injury.
Thanks man.

I've got this hole in my discography now that I can't play Return Of The Mack anymore.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

In my case, mononucleosis had some positive points. I can barely breath for several weeks, nights were short , painful and all I can do was watching TV. It was during the 85-86 winter, several Bears games on a french channel. I became a fan.
One month later, skinny (25 pounds evaporated) I decided that I had to play football and the Bears never left my heart.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 am Your right about the English. She (Mariska Veres) couldn't speak English at the time of this song. She read it phonetically, but somebody misprinted it. Listen carefully and you will hear her say "the God(n)ess on the mountain top."

I love that song.
Yeah, that song always takes me back..
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm Some positive news:
Bears rookie WR Velus Jones back at practice, hopeful to debut vs. Packers

Bears rookie wide receiver Velus Jones was back at practice Wednesday, though still limited by a hamstring injury. He was hopeful to make his NFL debut Sunday night against the Packers — “That’s the plan,” he said — but uncertain.

Jones, a third-rounder who was the Bears’ highest draft pick on offense, has been in and out since arriving at Halas Hall. He had repeated issues with his hamstring in the preseason and was out all last week leading into the opener.

“I’m making sure it heals all the way so that I won’t keep having these issues, just trying to stay on top of it,” Jones said. “And when I do get on top of it, trying to make sure it never comes back.”

When he finally debuts, he’s envisioning big things.

“I’m looking to score every time the ball hits my hands,” he said. “I’m really good with yards after catch and especially with yards after contact. That’s why I’m pushing to make sure I’m as healthy as possible, so I can be that dynamic player I know I can be.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... an-brisker
Report today listed him as doubtful.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:19 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm Some positive news:

Report today listed him as doubtful.
Has anyone seen an active/inactive list for GB? Wondering if their T's are starting tonight.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BEARS

WR Velus Jones Jr.
TE Jake Tonges
OL Michael Schofield
OL Ja'Tyre Carter
DB Elijah Hicks
DB Lamar Jackson

PACKERS

WR Samori Toure
OT David Bakhtiari
OT Caleb Jones
OL Sean Rhyan
DL Jonathan Ford
S Tariq Carpenter
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I am hoping that they played it super safe with Patrick snapping and Velus Jones hammy, thinking they want them healthy for our stretch of more winnable games.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:52 pm I am hoping that they played it super safe with Patrick snapping and Velus Jones hammy, thinking they want them healthy for our stretch of more winnable games.
I was thinking Velus was a bit of an a luxury weapon - until I saw what I've seen so far. JF1 needs him out there. I don't want to put too much pressure on the guy but they need that guy who is going to put fear in the hearts of DBs.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Velus came in as a project and missed much of TC. Throwing him out there on offense more than occasional plays a couple times a game would likely be a huge mistake. If Rodgers doesn't like throwing to rookie WRs because he can't trust them, what will it be like if Fields--who is still learning--is trying to throw to Jones? Potential disaster unless it's a broken play like the Pettis TD vs. SF. I say let Jones do what he's good at and leave the rest alone with very limited exceptions.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:25 pm Velus came in as a project and missed much of TC. Throwing him out there on offense more than occasional plays a couple times a game would likely be a huge mistake. If Rodgers doesn't like throwing to rookie WRs because he can't trust them, what will it be like if Fields--who is still learning--is trying to throw to Jones? Potential disaster unless it's a broken play like the Pettis TD vs. SF. I say let Jones do what he's good at and leave the rest alone with very limited exceptions.
Rodgers is anticipating and reading the Defense.

Fields is used to throwing to guys running wide open / creating that time for them to run wide open.

I think Velus fits what they think Fields can currently do
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Courtesy of malagabears, who posted this in the Week 3 // Bears (1-1) vs Texans (0-1-1) thread:
malagabears wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 am