Head Coach Matt Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I was looking for a thread about the Bears new head coach and to my surprise could only find ones that were either about him and GM Ryan Poles combined or one about his hiring which veered into discussions about other potential candidates and his predecessor.

So I thought on the eve of the regular season I'd start a fresh thread specifically about Matt Eberflus where we can discuss how he's performing as a head coach, how his H.I.T.S. philosophy is translating to the field, his game management and decision-making, his post-game pressers etc.

I'll begin with some lengthy excerpts from this excellent article from Patrick Finley for the Sun Times:
Matt Eberflus measures everything — but how will the Bears measure him?

Matt Eberflus has found a way to measure almost anything on a football field.

When his player tackles someone along the sideline, Eberflus watches to see how far he pushes him out of bounds. At the least, the ballcarrier has to tumble across the 6-inch chalk border that surrounds the field and land on the other side.

“From the green through the white,” he told the Sun-Times. “That’s a way we measure intensity.”

In the open field, Eberflus measures the last three yards of the possession. Does the tackler accelerate to the ball-carrier and drive his feet? Does he perform a hamstring tackle? Unlike most coaches, Eberflus teaches that the tops of a player’s shoulder pads should be level with the ball-carrier’s waist. The defender must drive through the player’s hips, wrap up near the hamstrings and take three firm steps while taking him to the ground.

Any additional tacklers need to try to force a fumble. Eberflus measures whether they do, and which technique they try: the punch, the hammer or the rake. The punch is an uppercut through the fat part of the ball and the hammer is a downward strike. The rake is more violent — peeling back a ballcarrier’s fingers and reaching for the tip of the ball to dislodge it.

“If you’re not punching the ball on every play, the way we coach it, that’s a mistake,” Eberflus said.

The coach watches exactly where defenders are punching: former Bears cornerback Charles Tillman has taught Eberflus’ teams both in Indianapolis and Chicago to try to time the punch to coincide with a ball-carrier’s rocking motion as he runs. Don’t punch where the ball is, Tillman preaches, punch where it’s going to be.

“Are you really stripping it every play?” Eberflus said. “Not just sticking your hand out there to appease me, but are you really going after it?” he said. “We coach that every single play.

“It’s all measured, so you can coach details every single play. What you’ll see is that when you do it on offense, defense, and kicking, your team will understand the exact standards because everything is on the table. You don’t hide anything.”

The main tenet of his H.I.T.S. system — which has found a way to, Eberflus believes, quantifiably measure hustle, intensity, takeaways and smarts by grading game film — is that he’s always watching.

Sunday at Soldier Field, the 52-year-old will have his first exposure with the ultimate measurable: wins and losses as an NFL coach. Because a rebuilding Bears team figures to have much more of the former than the latter, it raises the ultimate conundrum for someone whose coaching ethos is based on grading the ungradeable. Beside wins and losses, what would the Bears consider a success?

Eberflus’ boss has an idea.

“Resilience,” general manager Ryan Poles said. “I’ve been on teams, a Super Bowl team and teams that, ya know, anywhere in between. And the teams that can just stay level and look at “What are the solutions?” instead of just pointing at the problem and being negative with like, ‘Look at that! It’s not good.’ No. ‘How are we going to fix it?’

“So as an organization, as a team, as a locker room, as a staff, just being resilient through the ups and downs and just continuing to fight and have that arrow pointing up.”

Eberflus collects sayings the way other men his age collect vinyl records or bottles of Bordeaux. He uses so many of them, so often, that those inside Halas Hall not only have favorites, but former favorites.

“It’s about the takeaways,” linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi said. “He says that one every day.”

“To get the ball, you have to be fanatical,” defensive line coach Travis Smith said.

“Together, we can,” safeties coach Andre Curtis said.

Secondary coach James Rowe, who spent last season as Eberflus’ cornerbacks coach in Indianapolis, lists one specific saying as the most important. It’s actually just two words, said twice apiece: “Player-coach, coach-player.”

It’s what separates Eberflus from his predecessor, Matt Nagy.

“You can be a player’s friend, for sure, no doubt,” Eberflus said. “But you have to be his coach first.”

Nagy was 39 when the Bears hired him; Eberflus was 51. Perhaps the age gap breeds more of a professional distance.

“The coach is there to serve and to help the player,” Eberflus said. “That’s your job. And you have to have the right mindset as a coach because it’s not about you. It’s about the player.

“The player is the product we put on the field. And that’s the product of the Bears. So he comes first — whatever we can do to help him to be his very best. And the coach has to show that to the player. And when he does, there’s a relationship built. They have this relationship where it’s a partnership — coach-player, player-coach partnership.”

Eberflus, his defensive coordinator at Missouri from 2001 to ’08, took Pinkel’s focus on takeaways to the NFL. He was the Cowboys’ linebackers coach in 2014 when Rod Marinelli, the former Bears assistant, was named defensive coordinator. Eberflus at first wanted to be just like the man he called a “master coach,” but then he decided he wanted something unique. His H.I.T.S. principle, which combines elements of Marinelli’s tracking of player “loafs” and Eberflus’ meticulous film grading, was born.

“Most people just look at scheme, like, ‘OK, he did his job and completed pass and all that,’ ” Eberflus said. “Well, we don’t look at the game that way. We look at the game a different way.”

At Halas Hall, that meant teaching the system to the defensive assistants who didn’t follow him from Indianapolis and creating offensive grading points.

The meetings took hours. He was met with wide eyes.

“The coaches had the same response as the players — ‘Gosh, I didn’t know it was like that,’ ” Eberflus said.

Eberflus spent his first few months at Halas Hall coming up with ways to measure offensive performance with the same level of obsession he did defense.

Just as cornerbacks must tackle the right way, receivers must block them properly.

“There’s no house guests here,” Eberflus said.

Just as defenders’ punches at the ball are meticulously measured, so are the steps ballcarriers take to thwart a takeaway. They must keep five points of pressure on the ball — their fingertips, palms, forearms, biceps and chest — and clasp their hands when they run through traffic.

When Smith interviewed for the Bears’ defensive-line job, he asked about Eberflus’ takeaways secret. Eberflus said he was fanatical about it. It wasn’t until Smith got to Halas Hall that he saw what that looked like.

“Watching how we practice and how we attack the ball, it makes sense,” he said.

It’s tangible. Which means it can be measured.

“Then everybody knows what the standard is,” Eberflus said. “As opposed to saying, ‘Hey, just play hard.’ Or, ‘Hey, take the ball away.’ ”

“I love that dude,” Poles said last week. “He is consistent. His message is clear. There is no gray area. When he approaches the team meeting and gets in front of the guys, he’s got juice. But it’s not fluff. It’s not fake. It’s real. And you can feel that energy that he has. The guys love it. I love it. I’m so pumped about his leadership and how he’s going to lead this team.”

Safety Eddie Jackson has noticed Eberflus’ big ideas and little gestures. The coach has yet to be late for a meeting.

“Just holding everyone to that accountability and just letting his action match his words,” Jackson said. “I feel like that’s the big thing.”

Rowe, the secondary coach, can feel Eberflus’ personality on game day. It’s the same “stern intensity” that the Bears want out of their players.

“All the greats have a switch that they turn on and off, and it’s probably more important to turn it off,” he said. “He’s intense. He’s intentional. His passion to win is unmatched. And you feel that from him when he talks about football.”

That intensity, of course, can be measured.

“If you turn on the film, the film reflects the coach,” said Borgonzi, the linebackers coach. “If you have an intense team, then that’s a reflection of the coach, the position coach and the coordinator. The film’s your résumé. The film does the talking.”

It will speak for the first time Sunday.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... souri-hits
If that's not enough to get you excited about the Bears' new head coach then nothing will. That degree of attention to detail is off-the-charts. Compared to his immediate predecessors this is so refreshing. Man, I have such high hopes for him.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm loving hearing stuff like this:
Dominique Robinson on his first sack:

“On film, [McGlinchey] oversets. He overset, and I took it, hit him with a swipe, then got to the QB. I’m thankful for those gloves. I was able to latch on and bring him around until he went down.”
Scouting an interception

The Bears’ defense knew what was coming.

On third-and-four from the 49ers’ 47 with about 10 minutes to play, quarterback Trey Lance lined up in a shotgun with a fullback to his right, a receiver split right and three pass catchers — two receivers and a tight end — to his left.

Safety Eddie Jackson said that, based on film study Thursday, the Bears knew the 49ers liked to run a two-option route when they lined up with receivers stacked to the left.

The Bears played man coverage with Jackson as a ‘‘robber’’ — a safety who drops down into coverage — and defensive end Trevis Gipson backpedaling into coverage.

Cornerback Jaylon Johnson lined up outside to force receiver Jauan Jennings to run a slant. Jackson, playing center field, read Lance’s eyes and broke on the ball for his first interception since 2019.

‘‘That’s what you do look for,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘It’s about preparation. We prepare for that. . . . You’re able to get those looks into situations. It’s amazing how many times those things do show up.’’

Jackson credited a ‘‘great call’’ in the huddle that came from defensive coordinator Alan Williams.

‘‘We knew they loved those type of routes, especially on third-and-short,’’ Jackson said. ‘‘So came down. Play your eyes.’’

To recognize the play that was about to come — and to capitalize on it — increased the players’ confidence in the way they were prepared.

‘‘Lets you know you have some good coaches,’’ linebacker Roquan Smith said.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... -touchdown

I can't remember Bears players talking about this level of preparation from film study under the previous regime. Eberflus just seems to have everybody so much more clued in.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

All of this material, and then add the Flus post-game presser. I’m excited. Excited like I haven’t been in a long time. We may not be the most talented team on the field every week, but you can damn sure bet we will be the most prepared, and most fundamentally sound. Those two things can close a lot of talent gaps. With the HITS principle, and players buying into what Flus and the coaches are selling, the Bears are going to surprise some very good teams this year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:53 pm All of this material, and then add the Flus post-game presser. I’m excited. Excited like I haven’t been in a long time. We may not be the most talented team on the field every week, but you can damn sure bet we will be the most prepared, and most fundamentally sound. Those two things can close a lot of talent gaps. With the HITS principle, and players buying into what Flus and the coaches are selling, the Bears are going to surprise some very good teams this year.
We are going to put the Packers - Ref conspiracy to the test on Sunday. We are a disciplined group, will they "find" flags to throw?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I have been skeptical from the start. It's still the honeymoon period, but so far the needle is pretty well going straight up from where I sit.:thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Credit to Poles - his first hire :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Since Eberflus was a defensive coordinator and its his area of expertise this seems like a good place to put this video.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Matt Eberflus Revealed Bears’ New Merciless Grading System

Matt Eberflus made a promise when he took over as the new Chicago Bears head coach. His team was going to get used to hard work. Players were expected to give 100% effort at all times, both in practice and in games. No excuses would be accepted. Eberflus knew it’d be hard. Some players don’t like that kind of grinding mentality. Still, the 51-year-old believes this approach is the best way to build a winning football team.

It’s hard to argue with that. After going undefeated in the preseason, the Bears stunned the national audience by upsetting the San Francisco 49ers on opening day. What stood out the most was how much intensity guys played with and how few mistakes they made. Eberflus revealed after the game that the Bears have a grading system to keep players in line. They review the film and grade every player on every play. If the coaches think the player didn’t give 100%, they’re given a “loaf.” The more loafs they have, the lower the grade. A few guys had problems with that against the Niners.

“If you were in 55 plays and you had 20 loafs, that's not a good outing. There's a couple guys that had that. We gotta do a better job with that."

There are incentives involved with this process. Players who measure up to the standard will be recognized at the season’s end with a prestigious honor.

“If you’re in 10 plays and you only loaf one time, you’re in the 90 percent club. That’s a hard club to be in too, for the whole season. We’ll give that award out at the very end if you’re in that club. That means you played hard the entire season. That’s always hard to get into.”

He was happy with what they showed against San Francisco, surviving early struggles and completing a strong comeback.

However, he wasn’t happy with their overall effort. Matt Eberflus doesn’t grade on a curve. Too many players got caught loafing.

Full article: https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ng-system/
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm really confused. The Robinson blurb I understand. It makes sense. But the Interception? Color me really confused:

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:09 pm
Scouting an interception[/

The Bears’ defense knew what was coming.

On third-and-four from the 49ers’ 47 with about 10 minutes to play, quarterback Trey Lance lined up in a shotgun with a fullback to his right, a receiver split right and three pass catchers — two receivers and a tight end — to his left.

Safety Eddie Jackson said that, based on film study Thursday, the Bears knew the 49ers liked to run a two-option route when they lined up with receivers stacked to the left.

The Bears played man coverage with Jackson as a ‘‘robber’’ — a safety who drops down into coverage — and defensive end Trevis Gipson backpedaling into coverage.

Cornerback Jaylon Johnson lined up outside to force receiver Jauan Jennings to run a slant. Jackson, playing center field, read Lance’s eyes and broke on the ball for his first interception since 2019.

‘‘That’s what you do look for,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘It’s about preparation. We prepare for that. . . . You’re able to get those looks into situations. It’s amazing how many times those things do show up.’’

Jackson credited a ‘‘great call’’ in the huddle that came from defensive coordinator Alan Williams.

‘‘We knew they loved those type of routes, especially on third-and-short,’’ Jackson said. ‘‘So came down. Play your eyes.’’

To recognize the play that was about to come — and to capitalize on it — increased the players’ confidence in the way they were prepared.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... -touchdown

I can't remember Bears players talking about this level of preparation from film study under the previous regime. Eberflus just seems to have everybody so much more clued in.

So Williams made a great call in the huddle, because the Niners had WRs stacked to the left which made EJ know what types of routes they run there. My question is, how did WIlliams know what formation they were going to come out in when he made the call? How did WIlliams know to make EJ a "Robber" before he saw the alignment? Williams went out of the Bears' base zone to man based on a hunch of their alignment? If the Niners don't come out in that alignment, how do you get out of your defense? Is their an audible for that in that rain?

Either Williams is a fucking seer or I don't know what to think. Was it based on down and distance and he just guessed, and even had JJ play outside to force the receiver to the middle? Is this all stuff they "discussed" on Thursday? Are our coaches that good? And again, with that defense called, what happens if the Niners came out in something else?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:53 pm All of this material, and then add the Flus post-game presser. I’m excited. Excited like I haven’t been in a long time. We may not be the most talented team on the field every week, but you can damn sure bet we will be the most prepared, and most fundamentally sound. Those two things can close a lot of talent gaps. With the HITS principle, and players buying into what Flus and the coaches are selling, the Bears are going to surprise some very good teams this year.
We are going to put the Packers - Ref conspiracy to the test on Sunday. We are a disciplined group, will they "find" flags to throw?
No we aren't - because its not a thing.

We also aren't proving who really killed JFK either
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It'll be interesting to see how Eberflus' ball busting works over the course of the entire season. Amongst the more Analytics driven teams, there's a big movement to "practice smarter, not harder" and kind of the polar opposite of what we're seeing here in Chicago. The Rams were pretty early adopters of this mindset and they won the superbowl last year.
There's a lot of data out there pointing to our approach leading to lots of late season injuries.

https://www.insider.com/super-bowl-la-r ... eas-2022-2
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 am It'll be interesting to see how Eberflus' ball busting works over the course of the entire season. Amongst the more Analytics driven teams, there's a big movement to "practice smarter, not harder" and kind of the polar opposite of what we're seeing here in Chicago. The Rams were pretty early adopters of this mindset and they won the superbowl last year.
There's a lot of data out there pointing to our approach leading to lots of late season injuries.

This may happen, but IMO it’s offset by the fact that we are going to be far more “injury resilient “ than we’ve seen here recently. Meaning, next guy up can actually play at near replacement level. Won’t be true everywhere on the field of course.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:55 am I'm really confused. The Robinson blurb I understand. It makes sense. But the Interception? Color me really confused:

So Williams made a great call in the huddle, because the Niners had WRs stacked to the left which made EJ know what types of routes they run there. My question is, how did WIlliams know what formation they were going to come out in when he made the call? How did WIlliams know to make EJ a "Robber" before he saw the alignment? Williams went out of the Bears' base zone to man based on a hunch of their alignment? If the Niners don't come out in that alignment, how do you get out of your defense? Is their an audible for that in that rain?

Either Williams is a fucking seer or I don't know what to think. Was it based on down and distance and he just guessed, and even had JJ play outside to force the receiver to the middle? Is this all stuff they "discussed" on Thursday? Are our coaches that good? And again, with that defense called, what happens if the Niners came out in something else?
It is conceivable that Williams could have anticipated it based on analysis and said "if they do this, then ...".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:55 am I'm really confused. The Robinson blurb I understand. It makes sense. But the Interception? Color me really confused:

It's OK bro. It's OK.

See, we actually have COACHING now. People that are going to have a positive impact on the game because they are strategic, intelligent, and they've done their homework.

If the HITS system applies to the players how do you think Coach evaluates his own staff? Gotta be something similar.

See, we're Bears fans. We have this refugee mindset or like Tom Hanks' mindset from Cast Away. What the fuck is this? It's a light switch. It's turns on the light bulb over your head. You mean I don't have to kill my dinner anymore? No man, it's good. We have people for that now. Just sit down and eat your crab legs and have a beer.

What we witnessed last week was actual coaching and decision making. Not just using a Bingo Hopper for crap and hoping things turn out OK.

We haven't had a real coach since Fangio in '18 and then a real HC since, I don't know, Lovie.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:33 am

It is conceivable that Williams could have anticipated it based on analysis and said "if they do this, then ...".
That's certainly possible, but the difficulty I have with that is that it was called in the defensive huddle. EJax was made a "robber" and JJ played "outside" to funnel the WR inside. And the "tell" to EJax was the two WR left formation they came out in. Just an amazing case of prescience to me. I wonder if they had built in contingencies if they came out in another formation? If so, this defense is not so simple as your Lovie's Cover Two was.
karhu
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:55 am So Williams made a great call in the huddle, because the Niners had WRs stacked to the left which made EJ know what types of routes they run there. My question is, how did WIlliams know what formation they were going to come out in when he made the call? How did WIlliams know to make EJ a "Robber" before he saw the alignment? Williams went out of the Bears' base zone to man based on a hunch of their alignment? If the Niners don't come out in that alignment, how do you get out of your defense? Is their an audible for that in that rain?

What's not to understand? It was 3rd and 5 on SF's 40, midway through the fourth quarter with SF three points behind. Williams correctly guessed that we'd be defending the down line--no one ran a route more than eight yards long on the play--and wisely put Gordon and Vildor up on the line. Johnson had the slot receiver, and good coaching and foresight (no wizardry, though) seemed to have suggested to Williams that he woulld be the first read.

My hunch is that Jackson was a robber because of Williams' analysis of SF's offense with respect to down, distance, score, and time. That's it. Regardless of the alignment, a safety would have been guarding the down marker, specifically against the slot receiver. I haven't seen the all-22, and Brisker's out of the frame on the replays I've seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had a similar assignment on the lone receiver (Ayiuk?) on the weak side of the formation. Again, just good analysis and good situational playcalling.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

But EJax specifically says that his "tell" for his response was the Niner two WR left formation. It wasn't "simply" a down and distance thing. And Ejax was also specifically designated the "robber," so I doubt that Brisker was in a similar situation on the other side. Maybe, the defensive call was if it was two WRs left, then Ejax is the robber and if two Right than Brisker is? THAT I think would be a down and distance response, coupled with tendencies.

But again, EJax specifically talks about them going over this exact formation in preparation and the call was made in the huddle, with even Gipson designed to drop out into coverage and JJ forcing the slant. I don't know if it was Flus or Williams but it seemed like the Bears knew precisely what the Niners were going to do, even down to the formation they'd call. That's an amazing bit of foresight.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

The Bears knew what was coming based on the offensive formation, because they were coached for it and prepared for it...so they made adjustments on the field based on that. If the Niners would have lined up in something else, the players on the field would not have made those adjustments.

It's right here: Safety Eddie Jackson said that, based on film study Thursday, the Bears knew the 49ers liked to run a two-option route when they lined up with receivers stacked to the left.

They were fully prepared to react to what the offense was doing before the snap. Has little to do with what was called in the huddle.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:27 pm

The Bears knew what was coming based on the offensive formation, because they were coached for it and prepared for it...so they made adjustments on the field based on that. If the Niners would have lined up in something else, the players on the field would not have made those adjustments.

It's right here: Safety Eddie Jackson said that, based on film study Thursday, the Bears knew the 49ers liked to run a two-option route when they lined up with receivers stacked to the left.

They were fully prepared to react to what the offense was doing before the snap. Has little to do with what was called in the huddle.
I could see that, but that's NOT what EJax said. He explicitly said the call was made in the huddle.

That's amazing.
karhu
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm
I could see that, but that's NOT what EJax said. He explicitly said the call was made in the huddle.
Well, sure--Williams had to see the personnel. He didn't know the formation, but he knew that they'd be in 11. If they'd gone with four WRs, he might have adjusted the call.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

karhu wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:46 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm
Well, sure--Williams had to see the personnel. He didn't know the formation, but he knew that they'd be in 11. If they'd gone with four WRs, he might have adjusted the call.
Right.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:15 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:55 am So Williams made a great call in the huddle, because the Niners had WRs stacked to the left which made EJ know what types of routes they run there. My question is, how did WIlliams know what formation they were going to come out in when he made the call? How did WIlliams know to make EJ a "Robber" before he saw the alignment? Williams went out of the Bears' base zone to man based on a hunch of their alignment? If the Niners don't come out in that alignment, how do you get out of your defense? Is their an audible for that in that rain?

What's not to understand? It was 3rd and 5 on SF's 40, midway through the fourth quarter with SF three points behind. Williams correctly guessed that we'd be defending the down line--no one ran a route more than eight yards long on the play--and wisely put Gordon and Vildor up on the line. Johnson had the slot receiver, and good coaching and foresight (no wizardry, though) seemed to have suggested to Williams that he woulld be the first read.

My hunch is that Jackson was a robber because of Williams' analysis of SF's offense with respect to down, distance, score, and time. That's it. Regardless of the alignment, a safety would have been guarding the down marker, specifically against the slot receiver. I haven't seen the all-22, and Brisker's out of the frame on the replays I've seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had a similar assignment on the lone receiver (Ayiuk?) on the weak side of the formation. Again, just good analysis and good situational playcalling.
This seems like the relevant part:

‘‘We knew they loved those type of routes, especially on third-and-short,’’ Jackson said.
They did their film work. They knew the types of plays the 49ers like to run in different 3rd down situations. Williams made a defensive call in anticipation of a particular type of offensive play based on the situation and, lo and behold, that's what the 49ers ran. It's not that Williams is a 'seer', just that he was very well prepared... and so were the players.

I know it's ridiculously early for this new regime, but this is very, very encouraging.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I wonder if the upgraded analytics department is helping flag tendencies in play-calling.
IE
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:35 pm I wonder if the upgraded analytics department is helping flag tendencies in play-calling.
Definitely seems like it. Given their new org and their statements I'm sure they already have a good data set in some cases where there isn't a coaching/scheme change.

In this case I think the words "made the call" are causing confusion. Williams didn't explicitly or exclusively call that exact coverage in the huddle. They anticipated the offensive formation and then had multiple potential coverage options (reactions) to how the O lined up. Williams did make the call in the huddle but it wasn't just one coverage call. It is possible that Williams really did suspect how they were going to line up and was correct - but if they didn't line up that way the Bears certainly had other reactions/options.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
malk
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:28 am It'll be interesting to see how Eberflus' ball busting works over the course of the entire season. Amongst the more Analytics driven teams, there's a big movement to "practice smarter, not harder" and kind of the polar opposite of what we're seeing here in Chicago. The Rams were pretty early adopters of this mindset and they won the superbowl last year.

Definitely a legitimate concern but I don't think that the HITS system is necessarily a harder not smarter system. You can teach that kind of thing, then emphasize it without having to run over practice at 100 miles an hour. To (over) simplify, just having some sessions where you don't have the final contact will reduce the major fatigue and later injury inducing element without stopping people demonstrating that they're doing all the other elements.

What I find really exciting about this is how it should maximize the ability of non elite players, which, much as I don't like this from a labour perspective, makes sense as they're a very replaceable resource (Kant wouldn't be very happy with me right now lol).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Definitely a legitimate concern but I don't think that the HITS system is necessarily a harder not smarter system. You can teach that kind of thing, then emphasize it without having to run over practice at 100 miles an hour. To (over) simplify, just having some sessions where you don't have the final contact will reduce the major fatigue and later injury inducing element without stopping people demonstrating that they're doing all the other elements.

What I find really exciting about this is how it should maximize the ability of non elite players, which, much as I don't like this from a labour perspective, makes sense as they're a very replaceable resource (Kant wouldn't be very happy with me right now lol).
I mean this is what the meatball part of my brain says too, but you can only read so many players saying "this is the hardest i've ever been forced to practice" so many times before the more rational part of my brain starts to wonder if we're gonna eventually see the dark side of that. That's how Vic Fangio ran Bronco's practices, and as evidenced by Derek Wolfe's recent comments, the players grew to hate him for it.
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/der ... to-kill-us

Maybe Vic Fangio was basically Izzy Mandelbaum from Seinfeld, but blindly trusting Eberflus is gonna find that magic sweet spot of pushing guys exactly to their limits everyday but not an inch over feels extremely rose colored. Knowing there's guys pouring over practice footage (and game footage) grading "loaf plays" where they dont believe 100% was given feels almost DARE I SAY IT Orwellian.

To be clear, I love Flus, love Poles and love where it feels like this team is headed... But there's this dark side of all this intensity that we've seen time and time again in the NFL that's just quietly nagging at me.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good post. I think this high intensity thing does have a shelf life. However, I think it jives with Poles team building strategy really well. He isnt going to be signing vets and will let costly players leave - clearly favoring young hungry players instead. So by time the Flus shelf life starts to kick in, any players that are starting to tune it out will be replaced with more young hungry guys. A constant cycle. Poles will pay a few premium guys at premium positions and go young/hungry everywhere else. I’m really starting to like this plan!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 am Good post. I think this high intensity thing does have a shelf life. However, I think it jives with Poles team building strategy really well. He isnt going to be signing vets and will let costly players leave - clearly favoring young hungry players instead. So by time the Flus shelf life starts to kick in, any players that are starting to tune it out will be replaced with more young hungry guys. A constant cycle. Poles will pay a few premium guys at premium positions and go young/hungry everywhere else. I’m really starting to like this plan!
Agreed.

Then hence the need for the Analytics Department (amongst other things) to find players that'll fit the mold.
malk
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:35 am
malk wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:54 pm

I mean this is what the meatball part of my brain says too, but you can only read so many players saying "this is the hardest i've ever been forced to practice" so many times before the more rational part of my brain starts to wonder if we're gonna eventually see the dark side of that. That's how Vic Fangio ran Bronco's practices, and as evidenced by Derek Wolfe's recent comments, the players grew to hate him for it.
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/der ... to-kill-us

Maybe Vic Fangio was basically Izzy Mandelbaum from Seinfeld, but blindly trusting Eberflus is gonna find that magic sweet spot of pushing guys exactly to their limits everyday but not an inch over feels extremely rose colored. Knowing there's guys pouring over practice footage (and game footage) grading "loaf plays" where they dont believe 100% was given feels almost DARE I SAY IT Orwellian.

To be clear, I love Flus, love Poles and love where it feels like this team is headed... But there's this dark side of all this intensity that we've seen time and time again in the NFL that's just quietly nagging at me.
This is definitely an optimistic read but I don't think quite going over to meatball. Practice should be hard at the start of the year, training camp etc. but then tail off a bit as the year goes on and people are more comfortable in the scheme. Of course that might not be the case and I can think of examples in other sports, e.g. rugby and football where a coach has a system that works until it burns out too many players. With the way Flus talks about measuring everything you'd hope that he'd be able to see if things were tailing off as the season goes on, even from your known high motor players. But perhaps that's something he'll need to learn as a head coach and might ultimately decide how good he can be.

Let see what the players are saying after a few weeks of in season practice.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)