Head Coach Matt Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The practices also seem to be shorter than the NFL norm (per NBC telecast)

Maybe thats the yin to the yang?
WP.1
Player of the Month

why we play without a QB ?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Eberflus is either an eternal optimist or he is on some good medication ... his happy go lucky "we did some good things" speech after that Thursday Night debacle shows he looks at things differently than most
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm Eberflus is either an eternal optimist or he is on some good medication ... his happy go lucky "we did some good things" speech after that Thursday Night debacle shows he looks at things differently than most
They held a team with talented weapons to 12 points, including 6 they gave them to cancel out the Samuel drop. They drove the field well most of the day, and just sputtered at the goal line in every unlucky and unfortunate way possible... leaving 420 yards of offense on the table with only 7 points to show for it. There was a lot of good stuff. Surely you member entire enjoying an entire half of football with no yards and endless punts... don't you?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:55 pm
Boris13c wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm Eberflus is either an eternal optimist or he is on some good medication ... his happy go lucky "we did some good things" speech after that Thursday Night debacle shows he looks at things differently than most
They held a team with talented weapons to 12 points, including 6 they gave them to cancel out the Samuel drop. They drove the field well most of the day, and just sputtered at the goal line in every unlucky and unfortunate way possible... leaving 420 yards of offense on the table with only 7 points to show for it. There was a lot of good stuff. Surely you member entire enjoying an entire half of football with no yards and endless punts... don't you?
The Bears may have been 3 or 4 plays away from 27 points Instead of 7. But it didn’t feel like it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I largely agree with you. Makes you wonder how the game would've turned out if they went more conservative and kicked 2 chip shot FGs in the first half instead of going for it. Not that I am criticizing the decision to play for the 7.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Yes, I wonder if maybe a more experienced coach would have taken the 3 points at the first opportunity on 4th down in the 'zone, simply to get rid of the goose egg on the scoreboard and establish an early lead.

Some old-school coaches used to say that getting the first points on the board is critically important, be it field goal, safety, or whatever.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I see that ... any time a defense holds a team to 12 points, you would expect a win even if that team sucks ... and yeah, as others have said, they were a few plays away from a win ... bottom line is in spite of being involved in a very winnable game, they found a way to lose and it was painful to watch ... and in spite of the few good things done, they are a mess
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:17 pm

The Bears may have been 3 or 4 plays away from 27 points Instead of 7. But it didn’t feel like it.
It definitely felt like a frustrating, WTF loss - and at the end I actually went doomsday and predicted to myself that they wouldn't score when JF1 didn't make it to the end zone (I think he should have cut back in-bounds and tried). But during the drives most of the game I felt pretty good about what I was seeing. In my head the score wasn't even close. Especially as the drives kept coming, because if they can move the football with these guys against that defensive front it is arrow up for me.

I was never embarrassed yesterday like I was during some of those Nagy games where they simply could not move the ball at all - even with a team of vets. This team is so frigging young it is incredible, and I never lose sight of that and judge them against mature metrics or like they're a mature team that should be in contention. I swear some people around here would push their kid down the driveway without training wheels for the first time and berate them and label them lifetime losers if they fall a couple of times.

But I see this entire season as practice games, and I do think they'll win a good handful more. I could see them ripping off 4 in a row or maybe taking 4 of the next 6. I think all those teams are gettable. We just need a little mean reversion on our luck.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:13 pm Yes, I wonder if maybe a more experienced coach would have taken the 3 points at the first opportunity on 4th down in the 'zone, simply to get rid of the goose egg on the scoreboard and establish an early lead.

Some old-school coaches used to say that getting the first points on the board is critically important, be it field goal, safety, or whatever.
I don't agree. You go for 7 when you're that close at any point early in the game. Only later on if your padding a lead or the FG puts you up do you kick in those situations.

Give the Bears an extra 9 and keep everything else the same (butterfly effect and all, but just hypothetically). The Commies are driving in full two minute drill down 4. They are calling a much different game the entire game at that point really. Maybe the Bears make the stop, but that last drive goes different. Or actually the Commies have 13 because they don't go for the 2 for the 7 point lead attempt earlier in the 4th.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

We kind of gave them a bit of stick for kicking 4FGs against Giants.

I find it tough to criticise them for going for it.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:18 am
pus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:13 pm Yes, I wonder if maybe a more experienced coach would have taken the 3 points at the first opportunity on 4th down in the 'zone, simply to get rid of the goose egg on the scoreboard and establish an early lead.

I don't agree. You go for 7 when you're that close at any point early in the game. Only later on if your padding a lead or the FG puts you up do you kick in those situations.

Give the Bears an extra 9 and keep everything else the same (butterfly effect and all, but just hypothetically). The Commies are driving in full two minute drill down 4. They are calling a much different game the entire game at that point really. Maybe the Bears make the stop, but that last drive goes different. Or actually the Commies have 13 because they don't go for the 2 for the 7 point lead attempt earlier in the 4th.

Two things that point in opposite directions

1) Thursday night games are wonky

2) This is a bad Commanders team
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:18 am

Bad Bears team too.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:45 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:07 pm

Bad Bears team too.
Well that too.

But I think the Commanders Defense was making every QB against look like a Pro Bowler until Thursday - Weak Secondary
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Slow first half starts are a concern. The team needs to play out of the gate. I'm having problems understanding hhis his criteria for the guys playing OL and WR.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:57 am Slow first half starts are a concern. The team needs to play out of the gate. I'm having problems understanding hhis his criteria for the guys playing OL and WR.
Would love an explanation on OL based on how's they've dealt with Jenkins.

WR I'm willing to provide more of a pass on because there really is just so little there.
Middleguard
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:57 am Slow first half starts are a concern. The team needs to play out of the gate. I'm having problems understanding hhis his criteria for the guys playing OL and WR.
There are OCs whose teams score most often on their opening drives because they're so carefully scripted (by numerous bystanders I expect), and then fare poorly because the opponent adjusts or because the OC cannot fly by the seat of his pants. What's the matter with Getsy's scriptwriter?
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Middleguard wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:40 pm
There are OCs whose teams score most often on their opening drives because they're so carefully scripted (by numerous bystanders I expect), and then fare poorly because the opponent adjusts or because the OC cannot fly by the seat of his pants. What's the matter with Getsy's scriptwriter?
You know what...Getsy's game against PukeGreen Bay immediately came to mind when I read this. The opening drive the offense marched down the field with ease and looked like a well oil machine. After that they couldn't do diddly poo squat for the entirety of the bloody game?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Kylo Bearen wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:43 pm After that they couldn't do diddly poo squat for the entirety of the bloody game?
:lol:

artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Getsy has had some dire moments as a play caller. That said, the Bear offense has been bad from the second half of 2018 through today. At some point, it may make sense to focus on the players rather than the play caller. Justin Fields remains, arguably, the worst starting QB in the league. With Whitehair out, the Bear offensive line from the center to the left tackle is about as bad as it gets. The Bears have a bottom 3 group of pass catchers. No QB, terrible left side of the oline, and bad pass catchers - maybe we start there?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

artbest01 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:01 am Getsy has had some dire moments as a play caller. That said, the Bear offense has been bad from the second half of 2018 is about as bad as it gets. The Bears have a bottom 3 group of pass catchers. No QB, terrible left side of the oline, and bad pass catchers - maybe we start there?
Well for goodness sake art, we're only 1/3 through the season right at this very moment and you sound like you've got your seat reserved in the first lifeboat to leave the ship - don't get hypothermia out there, mate.

The best coaches I was ever around always wanted to play the best competition available - especially if they were teaching a young bunch of players (and coaches). This whole Bears organization is hitting the steepest part of the curve - together - and I believe the sensible fan will choose to watch and support them as they endeavor to get better - together.

Of course that includes tough games where the shit hits the fan.

Really exciting time for Bear fans - I wish people would quit trying to spoil it.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm

I largely agree with you. Makes you wonder how the game would've turned out if they went more conservative and kicked 2 chip shot FGs in the first half instead of going for it. Not that I am criticizing the decision to play for the 7.
They have ESB and Kmet, why weren't they targeted in the end zone with passes they could use their height on and the secondary couldn't reach? Piss poor play selection except for Mooney dropping a TD before he also couldn't score on the last play.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Matt Eberflus tries to stay steady during first losing streak

Matt Eberflus has been a head coach, at any level, for six games. But he already has his first bona fide losing streak — three games and counting — entering the “Monday Night Football” road game against the Patriots.

If two is a coincidence and three is a trend, what would four losses mean? Five? Six? The Bears could soon find out. They won’t be favored in their next three games.

Eberflus, though, isn’t sweating. That’s not his way.

“His ability to keep a steady head through this whole thing and kinda keep us level and project his message to the leaders of the team and display that every day is a good thing for us,” tight end Cole Kmet said.

That’s hard to do in a zero-sum league, even for rebuilding teams. That became clear minutes after the Bears’ loss to the Commanders last week, when quarterback Justin Fields said he was tired of being told the Bears were “almost there.” Eberflus had a long talk with him the next day.

“[Eberflus is] a leader,” Fields said. “I think the way he’s handled [the streak], the way he’s been talking to our team, he’s just tried to make it a positive thing rather than a negative thing.

“Of course, you can look back, ‘Oh, we’re on a losing streak, this and that.’ But that’s over. Whatever today’s date is, that’s what it is. And, of course, we play the Patriots on Monday night, so that’s what we’re looking forward to.”

Eberflus studied how to deal with low points from mentor Gary Pinkel, for whom he worked at Toledo and Missouri

“The one thing I learned from Gary was, man, you have to stay the course,” he said. “What do you stand for? What are your principles? And you better stand on top of those. And you have your eyes forward all the time.”

If the Bears improve this season, it likely will be because their players develop, not because they’ve added new talent.

That leaves Eberflus to try to make the best with what he has.

“He preaches the same things,” running back Khalil Herbert said. “A lot of the time, when we lose, we’re not doing the things he’s preaching. He’s hammering those things.”

But he’s not panicking.

“There’s a lot at stake here — that’s no secret — for everybody,” Kmet said. “Players, coaches, everybody.

“It’s frustrating, but you’ve gotta try to bring yourself to the middle. Whether you’re on a winning streak or losing streak, you’ve gotta keep yourself hovering in the middle.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... t-football
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:30 pm
Cole Kmet is the whitest dancer I've ever seen and I love it.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:47 pm
:lol: that was fun.

They bloody did deserve the day off.
A hard working organised team will always beat a disorganised team that relies on talent.

We’re building something :thumbsup:

grendel2000
Journeyman

wab wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:47 pm
Who let Lurch into the dance party?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears coach Matt Eberflus gets an A on his progress report

During Matt Eberflus’ short tenure with the Bears, we’ve learned something about him: The man can coach a little... there are two things about his approach that should be noted and appreciated.

First, Eberflus arrived as an accomplished defensive coordinator. He had been an assistant his whole career. A really good one. Usually when those types of coaches get an opportunity at the top job, they stay on their side of the ball and call plays. In most cases, it’s a huge mistake. Calling plays on either side of the ball is as much art as it is science. Understanding game flow and paying close attention to what your players are doing are critical. Head coaches have so much on their plate on game day that handling play-calling often ends in disaster.

Eberflus walked into Halas Hall with a plan to be the CEO of the Bears’ sideline. He puts faith in the members of his staff to do their jobs while he does what traditional head coaches have always done — supervise the people put in place. It’s a small thing, but it smacks of a coach that doesn’t have a heavy ego weighing him down. Eberflus seems to understand that if the team is successful, he’ll be seen as successful. That’s not a small thing.

The other notable thing about Eberflus is his constant assessment. One win isn’t going to fool me. The Bears have a talent deficiency that will be hard to overcome. To move in that direction means tough decisions and honesty. After the Bears’ demoralizing loss to the Commanders, Eberflus kept his word by taking the extra time and doing a deep dive into what’s working and what’s not. It takes humility to do that.

It was clear to anyone watching the Bears that the team needed to make changes. Plenty of coaches would hear criticism from the outside and reflexively double down on their decisions. With 11 days between the Commanders game and the Patriots game, Eberflus was honest in his “self-scout.” You don’t get an effort like that, on the road, without a true diagnostic of what your team is and isn’t.

But then you have to put a plan into action. Even though the change at center was short-lived, after an injury to Lucas Patrick, the willingness to change is significant and worthy of celebration.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/202 ... tin-fields