Help with my "man cave"

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So mods if this needs to be moves to another forum I understand, just didn't know where to put.

The twins graduated in May and have moved out of the house and the bonus room upstairs is being changed from the family tv room to my man cave. I have a bunch of sports stuff we are putting up and a just bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175409191050?n ... 7675.l2557

It's a framed Urlacher jersey that has 2 8X10 photos included in it. I have a similar Singletary jersey that isn't framed that I've had stored for about 12 years (just haven't had a place to put it until now if I got it framed). I plan on getting it framed and matted in a similar style.

The problem I have is I can't really find 2 good pictures to include in it. So can any of you guys give me a recommendation on a good sport's memorabilia shop in Chicago I could contact that might be able to help me.

It's going to look good when I'm done. The wall you see when you walk in will have Singletary, Payton and Urlacher hanging there (although the Payton won't have the same matting).

Thank you guys for your help.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What about Getty Images online?

Just search for Mike Singletary. Pretty sure you can buy the images then just get them printed someplace.

Or Shutterstock?

I think Getty can be pricey just for rights to a basic 8x10. IDK about Shutterstock.

EBay would have a ton.

Try Sportsmemorabilia Dot Com too.

Or MyTeamPrints Dot Com.

I don’t think you have to go to a physical dealer for this.

Forgive the stupid question. I mean this is like dumb. Are you really in Arkansas? If you’re in the Chicago area the Donald E. Stephens Comvention Center gets enormous card shows from time to time and there are always people there with just binders upon binders of photos. Find a huge card show in your area and go.

Good luck on the man cave. Through a friend I have a signed Urlacher Super Bowl jersey that he got from an equipment guy. It’s now in my gym / former man cave.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:53 pm What about Getty Images online?

Just search for Mike Singletary. Pretty sure you can buy the images then just get them printed someplace.

Or Shutterstock?

I think Getty can be pricey just for rights to a basic 8x10. IDK about Shutterstock.

EBay would have a ton.

Try Sportsmemorabilia Dot Com too.

Or MyTeamPrints Dot Com.

I don’t think you have to go to a physical dealer for this.

Forgive the stupid question. I mean this is like dumb. Are you really in Arkansas? If you’re in the Chicago area the Donald E. Stephens Comvention Center gets enormous card shows from time to time and there are always people there with just binders upon binders of photos. Find a huge card show in your area and go.

Good luck on the man cave. Through a friend I have a signed Urlacher Super Bowl jersey that he got from an equipment guy. It’s now in my gym / former man cave.
Thanks I didn't know Getty had online stuff. I've been looking through Ebay and haven't found anything I really like yet. The only reason I was thinking about an actual store is I thought they might be able to narrow down my search.

Yes I am in Arkansas about 30 miles north of Little Rock in a little town called Conway (halfway between Toad Suck and Pickle's Gap if that's a better reference point :welcome: ). It's where Central Arkansas is located (Pippen's college - his basketball coach's family where good friends of my family).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

TMP you were right about Getty images being pricey.

Freaking WOW!!!! starting at $175.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm I have a similar Singletary jersey that isn't framed that I've had stored for about 12 years (just haven't had a place to put it until now if I got it framed). I plan on getting it framed and matted in a similar style.

The problem I have is I can't really find 2 good pictures to include in it.
I suppose the obvious question is what sort of image are you after? What constitutes 'good'?

The other question is what sort of price do you want to pay? $175 for a photo?! Is that to licence the image for commercial purposes?

I did have a quick look on etsy and saw this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1030262976 ... 2117787759

Alternatively, I guess you can search out a decent resolution image on the web that you can download, resize and print yourself at least until you can find something better.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:04 pm Yes I am in Arkansas about 30 miles north of Little Rock in a little town called Conway (halfway between Toad Suck and Pickle's Gap if that's a better reference point :welcome: ). It's where Central Arkansas is located (Pippen's college - his basketball coach's family where good friends of my family).
Wait--"Toad Suck" and "Pickle's Gap" aren't ACTUALLY the names of towns in Arkansas, are they? :shock:
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There’s some great Butkus photos, covered in mud, just beating Packers into the turf.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:09 am There’s some great Butkus photos, covered in mud, just beating Packers into the turf.
This is my favorite:

Just tackle everybody and sort it out later. lol
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:37 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:04 pm Yes I am in Arkansas about 30 miles north of Little Rock in a little town called Conway (halfway between Toad Suck and Pickle's Gap if that's a better reference point :welcome: ). It's where Central Arkansas is located (Pippen's college - his basketball coach's family where good friends of my family).
Wait--"Toad Suck" and "Pickle's Gap" aren't ACTUALLY the names of towns in Arkansas, are they? :shock:
Not actual towns, but unincorporated areas / communities. But Possum Grape is real town.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:11 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm I have a similar Singletary jersey that isn't framed that I've had stored for about 12 years (just haven't had a place to put it until now if I got it framed). I plan on getting it framed and matted in a similar style.

The problem I have is I can't really find 2 good pictures to include in it.
I suppose the obvious question is what sort of image are you after? What constitutes 'good'?

The other question is what sort of price do you want to pay? $175 for a photo?! Is that to licence the image for commercial purposes?

I did have a quick look on etsy and saw this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1030262976 ... 2117787759

Alternatively, I guess you can search out a decent resolution image on the web that you can download, resize and print yourself at least until you can find something better.
Yeah I've found a bunch like that that are game photos but not "doing anything" in the photo (I did find one of him closing in on Sanders, but Sanders is more the focal point of the photo). I love to find something like what Yogi posted. More action.

The $175 appears to be what they charge regardless of what you are doing with it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Try EBay
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Thanks guys I contacted the guy I bought the Urlacher one from and I think I"m going to get them to do it. They have a decent price they gave me (other than I have to pay shipping which is a bit high). But that way I'll be assured the matting is the exact same color and they can put the "C" in the two top corners. (Having the look alike was a big deal to my wife, it should be noted that when we started this process she said "Do whatever, you want it's YOUR room." Found an awesome sectional and showed it to her. Her response "THAT"S NOT GOING UP THERE!!!!")
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:41 am Thanks guys I contacted the guy I bought the Urlacher one from and I think I"m going to get them to do it. They have a decent price they gave me (other than I have to pay shipping which is a bit high). But that way I'll be assured the matting is the exact same color and they can put the "C" in the two top corners. (Having the look alike was a big deal to my wife, it should be noted that when we started this process she said "Do whatever, you want it's YOUR room." Found an awesome sectional and showed it to her. Her response "THAT"S NOT GOING UP THERE!!!!")
I can relate. lol
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:13 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:09 am There’s some great Butkus photos, covered in mud, just beating Packers into the turf.
This is my favorite:

Just tackle everybody and sort it out later. lol
One of mine also. Just found this one:

There's a great one, him just covered in mud, trying to drown a Packers RB in it but I can't find it.
wab
Mod

I've stopped at Pickle's Gap before. I feel like there's a bakery/sweet shop there...Julia's or something like that.
wulfy
MVP

I have this one hanging up:

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:40 pm I've stopped at Pickle's Gap before. I feel like there's a bakery/sweet shop there...Julia's or something like that.
Pickle's Gap has a great coffee shop (or so I'm told, I'm simply not a big coffee guy) and a really good fudge place. Julie's in in Conway right off I-40.

If you come through here again let me know.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:54 pm I have this one hanging up:

I LOVE that one. I have one of Sweetness and McMahon walking off the field together after a game that is nice.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Yeah I've found a bunch like that that are game photos but not "doing anything" in the photo (I did find one of him closing in on Sanders, but Sanders is more the focal point of the photo). I love to find something like what Yogi posted. More action.

The $175 appears to be what they charge regardless of what you are doing with it.
Ah, action shots then.

The last is probably the best because it has those iconic staring eyes!

Getting an image with a decent resolution direct from the web isn't going to happen though, so good luck with your search.
wulfy
MVP

Here's the most unpopular take you'll probably read here: Singletary is the second most overrated 85 Bear (behind Gary Fencik) and Jay Hildenberg is the most underrated.

(hides)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will go along with you on Samurai but not Fencik.
Umbali
MVP

God..So i had this pic..it was autographed by Suhey , who if I understand correctly doesnt autograph much. It was in a tube in my closet when I was selling my house and I was going to hang it after I moved. Never saw it again. Not sure if one of my kids threw it away or what. Still sick over it
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:52 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am

Ah, action shots then.

The last is probably the best because it has those iconic staring eyes!

Getting an image with a decent resolution direct from the web isn't going to happen though, so good luck with your search.
The biggest one:

Stopping Dickerson on fourth and one in the NFC Championship Game.

And Wulfy:

Singletary was the Captain and QB of that defense. Can't say he was overrated. Buddy Ryan, himself, certainly didn't think so. Tried like all get-out to get him to Philly.

I think that Van Horn was probably the most overrated on the team.

Most underrated: Close, but I'd give it to Wilber Marshall over Jay. Both should be in the Hall.
wulfy
MVP

Umbali wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm

God..So i had this pic..it was autographed by Suhey , who if I understand correctly doesnt autograph much. It was in a tube in my closet when I was selling my house and I was going to hang it after I moved. Never saw it again. Not sure if one of my kids threw it away or what. Still sick over it
Oh no!! I'm sick just reading that - would be amazing to a signed version of that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Love this thread! Curve ball - when we moved to Florida and our daughter got her own place here as well, we just decided “fuck it, we’re 50 and not trying to impress anyone” so we basically did our whole house like we were 20 year olds. Instead of sports though, we went down the music path for decorating. I have an affinity for Poster Art - it’s a really eclectic art form that ties in music/bands that I love. So we buy original prints then have a custom framing shop nearby who puts it all together. Each piece ends up running about $500 when it’s all said and done, and we have them throughout the home.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Framing is also so expensive but aluminum frames look great on posters

https://www.americanframe.com/picture-f ... ter-frames

If you buy something that’s and odd size you can get custom cuts to fit
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

On the topic of man caves - guys check out my man cave in the basement. Just getting all the trim and finer details done - and now ready to populate & enjoy. I have a bunch of vintage audio stuff that is going in the built-ins, and some Bear and Illini memorabilia as well.

I did all the "infrastructure" work - full demo of the previous basement, a full water proofing, and all new framing, electrical and drywall and doors and such. My wife and I did the ceiling and floor together and created the (19ft !) countertop for the built-ins out of six 2x10. And then she did the entire bar with the concrete arch and tile and almost all the finish work including the built-ins, fireplace and tile, trim, caulk and painting. She's incredible.

I'm pretty jacked about this basement...had to show it off. The big main room is 750 square feet (looks smaller because everything in it is enormous (e.g. 82 in TV, 50 in wide fireplace), so the area in the one picture is only like half the room.

Funny side note - it's like a dark olive color like the green on the tiles but for some reason the paint comes across in the pictures as brighter green. It is nothing close to Packer colors! (but will be better with some blue & orange out there)
20220924_211054.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:44 am Love this thread! Curve ball - when we moved to Florida and our daughter got her own place here as well, we just decided “fuck it, we’re 50 and not trying to impress anyone” so we basically did our whole house like we were 20 year olds. Instead of sports though, we went down the music path for decorating. I have an affinity for Poster Art - it’s a really eclectic art form that ties in music/bands that I love. So we buy original prints then have a custom framing shop nearby who puts it all together. Each piece ends up running about $500 when it’s all said and done, and we have them throughout the home.
There are a lot of album covers which are so good, they could be framed and hung on the wall.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Hey ArkansasBear and IE, if you're feeling flush you might want to bid on some of these items for your man caves. :D

https://hindmanauctions.com/auctions/1121-coach

And an article about the auction: https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists ... a-da-coach
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm So mods if this needs to be moves to another forum I understand, just didn't know where to put.

The twins graduated in May and have moved out of the house and the bonus room upstairs is being changed from the family tv room to my man cave. I have a bunch of sports stuff we are putting up and a just bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175409191050?n ... 7675.l2557

It's a framed Urlacher jersey that has 2 8X10 photos included in it. I have a similar Singletary jersey that isn't framed that I've had stored for about 12 years (just haven't had a place to put it until now if I got it framed). I plan on getting it framed and matted in a similar style.

The problem I have is I can't really find 2 good pictures to include in it. So can any of you guys give me a recommendation on a good sport's memorabilia shop in Chicago I could contact that might be able to help me.

It's going to look good when I'm done. The wall you see when you walk in will have Singletary, Payton and Urlacher hanging there (although the Payton won't have the same matting).

Thank you guys for your help.
If you're a Ditka fan: https://hindmanauctions.com/auctions/1121-coach