Week 3 // Bears (1-1) vs Texans (0-1-1)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I'm with Marshall - thanks a million to Middleguard for your great work on all of our behalf.

:D
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
malk
Head Coach

Bears 24, Texans 13,m Lovie's beard 847.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:30 am
RichH55 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm

So just can't duplicate myself? But I can duplicate other posters - If I get that ?

If so - Ill keep my 1st one since that was my gut
Marshall sticks his head out to see what the weather is like.

Nope, going back in my bunker because it looks like there's going to be Six More Weeks Of Asshole.

(OK seriously, if this guy is giving Middleguard of all people a hard time (who is like the nicest guy and does awesome work on the scores every week / season - sincere thank you sir), I think we've found the problem.)

Just a thought.

Anybody needs me I'll be watching Apocalypse Now Redux (that's the honest truth) and playing GTA.

I love the contest and thank him for it . Just was making sure I wasn't doing something wrong in terms of the rules.

Geez. Is reading that hard?
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm

So just can't duplicate myself? But I can duplicate other posters - If I get that ?

If so - Ill keep my 1st one since that was my gut

Nope, going back in my bunker because it looks like there's going to be Six More Weeks Of Asshole.

(OK seriously, if this guy is giving Middleguard of all people a hard time (who is like the nicest guy and does awesome work on the scores every week / season - sincere thank you sir), I think we've found the problem.)

Just a thought.

Anybody needs me I'll be watching Apocalypse Now Redux (that's the honest truth) and playing GTA.
He was literally just asking a question. I don't know how you can take it any other way than that.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

But do let me take the chance to thank Middleguard for running it

I just wanted to win! Thought it might be Price is Right rules
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:01 am

Just a thought.

He was literally just asking a question. I don't know how you can take it any other way than that.
He was literally just doing a lot of things over the past few months.

This week he's chased Plank around like Jason Vorhees running down a topless camp counselor at Camp Crystal Lake. But that's cool.

Either way it's cool. He's the Protected Class. We all know it.

Don't mind me, it's gonna take all day to watch Apocalypse Now. Lots of things to do. Right now Sheen is reading the letter that talks about Colby. The guy who joined Kurtz. Lance is playing around with the purple smoke talking about Purple Haze. Gotta run.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Santa Claus is coming to town, I mean Lovie is coming to town and he doesn’t have a lump of coal for the Bears but rather a win. You can only go 16-1 if you lose more than one game. Since we already have a dropped one, this is a victory. We may not be great but they are awful!!!! This defense I’d what Fields needs to get it going. Same for Mooney and Kmet. Fields gets his first game with 300 yards passing.

Bears 27
Houston 12
Richie
MVP

With the play calling and offense under much scrutiny. I feel that we'll see Fields throw the ball a bit more and perhaps see some decent results on what should be a decent day on the lakefront.

Mills and company don't scare anybody. However, Lovie returning (again) just gives me bad vibes. That team is going to play hard for him. I'm sure him gaining his first W as Texans HC in Chicago would feel great to him.

You know what this wreaks of? A low scoring game that we control the entire time and then blow a multiple score lead in the 4th.

Texans 20
Bears 16

(After we lead 16-6 in the 4th)

I'm actually still intrigued by this Bears team a little bit and interested in seeing how they respond at home. I think they're the better team. I just have some bad vibes going on here.
Richie
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 pm Santa Claus is coming to town, I mean Lovie is coming to town and he doesn’t have a lump of coal for the Bears but rather a win. You can only go 16-1 if you lose more than one game. Since we already have a dropped one, this is a victory. We may not be great but they are awful!!!! This defense I’d what Fields needs to get it going. Same for Mooney and Kmet. Fields gets his first game with 300 yards passing.

Bears 27
Houston 12
They are awful defensively?

They just played two consecutive games against teams regarded as contenders in the AFC. They did not surrender more than 20 points in either. Were squarely in each game. Tied one of them.

They are certainly not good. However, that isn't exactly the two game resume of a bottom tier defense that you use as a confidence boost.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Okay, I am new here, this is a contest with an actual prize?? :o
I thought it was just for bragging rights... :ashamed:
The last Board I was on had a weekly NFCN pick 'em. That had a small prize for winning it.

I was/am grateful to anyone that takes their time, effort and money?? to make these things happen. :headbang:
Makes the Message Board experience all that much more interesting.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:19 pm
wab wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:01 am
He was literally just doing a lot of things over the past few months.

This week he's chased Plank around like Jason Vorhees running down a topless camp counselor at Camp Crystal Lake. But that's cool.

Either way it's cool. He's the Protected Class. We all know it.

Don't mind me, it's gonna take all day to watch Apocalypse Now. Lots of things to do. Right now Sheen is reading the letter that talks about Colby. The guy who joined Kurtz. Lance is playing around with the purple smoke talking about Purple Haze. Gotta run.
Ser, have you run out of TaMPons?

(it's an inside joke, @UOK, calm down :lol:)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08, I expect to see you on the Discord chat tomorrow
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:23 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:59 am

I think what's happening here is that everyone knows that it's early and things will hopefully get a lot better. But we can also point out the annoying stuff that's happening right now, or note concerns about how things are trending, and be frustrated by it. Both of those things can be true at the same time. It seems like you keep thinking that because we point out a negative that we aren't aware of those mitigating factors. Speaking for myself at least, I'm fully aware and have said repeatedly that I'm waiting until Week 8 before I pass any sort of judgement. I think Rich is the only one who just consistently hates Fields and is negative about him all the time, everyone else is just pointing out trends, signs, CONCERNS, things they'd like to see change, etc - but are fully aware more time is needed to play this all out. It's ok to point out things that concern you and it doesn't mean that we aren't being patient. It's all good!
This is of course - Nonsense on my position.

The things I complained about PRE-DRAFT on Fields - are you know - the things he still needs improvement on. And his Rookie season was terrible.

Sure - I had my fun when people said in no limited order:
1) Play him Week 1 of Rookie Season - He will know entire playbook (he did well on this memory test!!!)
2) He's the most accurate QB to ever come out of College (NO QUALIFIERS!)
3) Ferrari out of Garage
4) Hero
5) His Pro Day was so good!!!
(If memory serves someone was super positive on how he ordered a Sandwich? Was that in jest?)

Etc Etc

He's a fantastic athlete (at least in straight line speed), seems to care, seems to work hard, I think he's pretty accurate - But he does not (yet) anticipate, read defenses all that well, AND most importantly get the ball out quickly

Is it negative to acknowledge realities?

Or that the "concerns" that you are now noting - have been the concerns ALL ALONG?
The biggest issue last year was that Pace and Nagy, for whatever reasons, felt like the Bears would be contenders and wanted a more experienced QB taking snaps. Myself and I'm sure others on this forum, even before the season, thought it was time to start building for the future, which meant finally getting the QB position right. Yes, it would have meant lots and lots of rookie mistakes and games lost (which happened anyways) but Nagy was allowed to try and force Fields into a system which emminently didn't suit him and provided him minimal meaningful experience for leanring the position. The Bears obviously can pound the rock this year, a strong running game can definitely help an inexperienced QB, but it's time to throw Fields into the fire and see if he can master the passing game. It doesn't mean 50 passes per game but it certainly means more than 28 attempts in 2 games.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 am
RichH55 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:23 pm

This is of course - Nonsense on my position.

The things I complained about PRE-DRAFT on Fields - are you know - the things he still needs improvement on. And his Rookie season was terrible.

Sure - I had my fun when people said in no limited order:
1) Play him Week 1 of Rookie Season - He will know entire playbook (he did well on this memory test!!!)
2) He's the most accurate QB to ever come out of College (NO QUALIFIERS!)
3) Ferrari out of Garage
4) Hero
5) His Pro Day was so good!!!
(If memory serves someone was super positive on how he ordered a Sandwich? Was that in jest?)

Etc Etc

He's a fantastic athlete (at least in straight line speed), seems to care, seems to work hard, I think he's pretty accurate - But he does not (yet) anticipate, read defenses all that well, AND most importantly get the ball out quickly

Is it negative to acknowledge realities?

Or that the "concerns" that you are now noting - have been the concerns ALL ALONG?
The biggest issue last year was that Pace and Nagy, for whatever reasons, felt like the Bears would be contenders and wanted a more experienced QB taking snaps. Myself and I'm sure others on this forum, even before the season, thought it was time to start building for the future, which meant finally getting the QB position right. Yes, it would have meant lots and lots of rookie mistakes and games lost (which happened anyways) but Nagy was allowed to try and force Fields into a system which emminently didn't suit him and provided him minimal meaningful experience for leanring the position. The Bears obviously can pound the rock this year, a strong running game can definitely help an inexperienced QB, but it's time to throw Fields into the fire and see if he can master the passing game. It doesn't mean 50 passes per game but it certainly means more than 28 attempts in 2 games.
Putting aside my belief that MOST QBs could benefit by sitting most, if not all of their Rookie years - and that Nagy probably correctly thought that Fields wasn't ready - and that playing him probably meant his Job. Putting that aside

Grizz - I see this bandied about "force into a system" "didn't suit him" "meaningful experience" Besides the Lamar Jackson experience in Baltimore

What offenses cater toward holding the ball too long - and not reading the Defense?

Besides we are gonna throw less than most teams, and run the ball first and foremost?

But to me - it feels like the biggest deficiencies in Fields game would hurt you in Any Offense - no matter how many rollouts you are adding in.

Am I missing something?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I gotta say this to you, Rich, sometimes you act like a nagging troll who wants to irritate everyone by complaining about stuff that should be WATER UNDER THE FREAKIN' BRIDGE...

Who cares about calling Fields a hero?
Why on earth bring up a Ferrari out of a garage?
Who gives a damn about him ordering a sandwich?

Dredging up this kind of minor old minutia is a total waste of our time and it really detracts from the conversation. It almost seems like you're trying to incite a movement to get more folks to ask for you to be banned.

SOMETIMES YOU SAY INTERESTING STUFF BUT YOU (consistently) MANAGE TO PISS OFF TOO MANY FOLKS ON HERE SO GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF, MAN!
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It was me who called Field’s rookie season heroic.
More his resolve and commitment than performance.

I don’t mind Rich bringing it up, it’s a talking point and I’m ok with it :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Middleguard
MVP

Shadow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:22 am Okay, I am new here, this is a contest with an actual prize?? :o
See viewtopic.php?p=307349
Middleguard
MVP

I'm seriously concerned about the health of the Bears' defense, so I'm changing my prediction to Bears 27 Texans 23.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:27 am It was me who called Field’s rookie season heroic.

I don’t mind Rich bringing it up, it’s a talking point and I’m ok with it :thumbsup:
Maybe it should be a topic by itself.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Bears 24
Texans 13
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I see this as a bounce back opportunity for Fields. If he is going to be the QB that we hope he will be, he needs to dominate this game. He needs to make the right reads, beat the Texans with his feet and through the air. We need to see a talented, athletic Fields take over the game and make a statement.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:44 am
Grizzled wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 am

Putting aside my belief that MOST QBs could benefit by sitting most, if not all of their Rookie years - and that Nagy probably correctly thought that Fields wasn't ready - and that playing him probably meant his Job. Putting that aside

Grizz - I see this bandied about "force into a system" "didn't suit him" "meaningful experience" Besides the Lamar Jackson experience in Baltimore

What offenses cater toward holding the ball too long - and not reading the Defense?

Besides we are gonna throw less than most teams, and run the ball first and foremost?

But to me - it feels like the biggest deficiencies in Fields game would hurt you in Any Offense - no matter how many rollouts you are adding in.

Am I missing something?
I'm not a QB pro. But when I see a guy consistently holding the ball too long, most likely missing reads he should be making, it can be from college experience not translating smoothly to the pro game. College QBs are given plays in which they're told look at Joe as your #1 choice, Mike as your #2, Pete as your #3. If no ones' open, tuck the ball and run. I think Nagy's offense was just too complicated from everything I've read about it. Add in that Bear WRs had some issues getting separation. So Fields had problems processing the field, not reading progressions, resulting in holding the ball too long on too many plays, being sacked too often when he shouldn't have been, fumbling after being hit when he shouldn't have been. I've of a mixed mind about how long to sit a rookie QB. I'm old, it's was traditional for a QB to sit for 4 or 5 years. That went out the door when QB draft picks started getting such astronomical contracts (since reduced with the rookie cap). Some think the college pass happy offenses prepare QBs to assume starting duties in the NFL much sooner than they used to but, as I said, those offenses are highly scripted and not equivalent to what the pros play (except maybe the Cardinals).
Last edited by Grizzled on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:44 pm

Am I missing something?
I'm not QB pro. But when I see a guy consistently holding the ball too long, most likely missing reads he should be making, it can be from college experience not translating smoothly to the pro game. College QBs are given plays in which they're told look at Joe as your #1 choice, Mike as your #2, Pete as your #3. If no ones' open, tuck the ball and run. I think Nagy's offense was just too complicated from everything I've read about it. Add in that Bear WRs had some issues getting separation. So Fields had problems processing the field, not reading progressions, resulting in holding the ball too long on too many plays, being sacked too often when he shouldn't have been, fumbling after being hit when he shouldn't have been. I've of a mixed mind about how long to sit a rookie QB. I'm old, it's was traditional for a QB to sit for 4 or 5 years. That went out the door when QB draft picks started getting such astronomical contracts (since reduced with the rookie cap). Some think the college pass happy offenses prepare QBs to assume starting duties in the NFL much sooner than they used to but, as I said, those offenses are highly scripted and not equivalent to what the pros play (except maybe the Cardinals).
Yes. And the fact that in college, your receivers are trying to get separation from a guy who will be working in accounting for Kraft Foods. The QB prospect scrap heap of history is piled high with promising rookies who could never figure out the timing of an anticipation throw, or the accuracy needed to throw receivers open. We talk about it all the time. The "open" window in the NFL is so much smaller than college. Some young QB's can never figure out how to throw the ball into that space.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I just listened to the start of the Shaw Local Friday pre-game podcast.

First, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but apparently Hub Arkush suffered a medical emergency at Halas Hall about a month ago and hasn't been seen since. Nobody's talking about what happened. Does anyone have any news on that? Whatever it is, love him or hate him, best wishes to he and his family for a speedy recovery.

Second, his minions are now doing the podcasts without him and said something that absolutely staggered me. Discussing Lucas Patrick's snapping this week, they said they were completely unclear about how that changes things, since Eberflus and co. don't really talk much about injuries. They referenced the coaching staff's recent kind words toward Mustipher and suggested that a likely outcome of Patrick snapping was that Mustipher would move to RG and either replace or tag team with Jenkins.

To me Jenkins has played well (if imperfect) at RG and Mustipher hast been sub-par at C. Thus, the obvious change if Patrick can snap is that Mustipher sits. At least that's what's obvious to me. Am I crazy or are those guys idiots who really need their boss back?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I called into the Peggy and Dionne show and said something for their reaction that I think is quite evident. This game is going to be really important for the psyche of Bears fans in general.

If we win, we're 2-1 and beat a team we were supposed to beat. Hope abounds.

But if we lose, we failed to beat a winless team at home when we were favored and the idea of the Bears being in play for the #1 draft pick begins in earnest.

Quite a disparity in outlooks based on one game early on. But that looks like where we're at.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:41 am I gotta say this to you, Rich, sometimes you act like a nagging troll who wants to irritate everyone by complaining about stuff that should be WATER UNDER THE FREAKIN' BRIDGE...

Who cares about calling Fields a hero?
Why on earth bring up a Ferrari out of a garage?
Who gives a damn about him ordering a sandwich?

Dredging up this kind of minor old minutia is a total waste of our time and it really detracts from the conversation. It almost seems like you're trying to incite a movement to get more folks to ask for you to be banned.

SOMETIMES YOU SAY INTERESTING STUFF BUT YOU (consistently) MANAGE TO PISS OFF TOO MANY FOLKS ON HERE SO GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF, MAN!
Pus - I was defending myself against this: ". I think Rich is the only one who just consistently hates Fields and is negative about him all the time"

Keep in mind my biggest issue with Fields - PRE-DATING US DRAFTING HIM - was that he holds onto the ball too long (in part because I don't think he was asked to really read the Defense - in part because Ohio State was just better than the vast majority of the teams they played so why not?)

And that is probably still the number one issue Fields has

That equals "Hate" to people. As if I were conjuring the issue out of air.

So I simply brought up some of the nonsense that's been spouted (wrongly by the way ) - I took the other side of the nonsense positions

AND quite frankly if one wasn't ultra gung-ho about Fields from Day 1 - They got called a Troll.

So yeah - I am entitled to defend myself on occasion.

For my money - the most overrated things about QBs have ALWAYS been Arm Strength. That's number 1. Number too is probably athleticism. Though Arm Strength is #1 with a bullet.

The hardest thing to fix is processing speed/reading the defense/anticipation and then after that accuracy (you can improve this somewhat but theres a real ceiling usually)

But yeah- I was defending myself against " ". I think Rich is the only one who just consistently hates Fields and is negative about him all the time""

Should I have bit as hard on a troll comment? Probably not. I got fired up, sue me!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 pm I just listened to the start of the Shaw Local Friday pre-game podcast.

First, I haven't seen it mentioned here, but apparently Hub Arkush suffered a medical emergency at Halas Hall about a month ago and hasn't been seen since. Nobody's talking about what happened. Does anyone have any news on that? Whatever it is, love him or hate him, best wishes to he and his family for a speedy recovery.

Second, his minions are now doing the podcasts without him and said something that absolutely staggered me. Discussing Lucas Patrick's snapping this week, they said they were completely unclear about how that changes things, since Eberflus and co. don't really talk much about injuries. They referenced the coaching staff's recent kind words toward Mustipher and suggested that a likely outcome of Patrick snapping was that Mustipher would move to RG and either replace or tag team with Jenkins.

To me Jenkins has played well (if imperfect) at RG and Mustipher hast been sub-par at C. Thus, the obvious change if Patrick can snap is that Mustipher sits. At least that's what's obvious to me. Am I crazy or are those guys idiots who really need their boss back?
Yes, my best wishes as well to Hub and his family.

As for the OL scuttlebutt , if anybody knows anything it sounds like nobody is giving anything away.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:27 am It was me who called Field’s rookie season heroic.

Hate to disagree - even though somehow its my brand

But I think Dave99 came up with it.

So he's the real Hero;)
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 pm I just listened to the start of the Shaw Local Friday pre-game podcast.

Yes, my best wishes as well to Hub and his family.

As for the OL scuttlebutt , if anybody knows anything it sounds like nobody is giving anything away. It's important to keep your opponent guessing and my guess is that's where Flus wants the narrative to go.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:44 pm

Am I missing something?
I'm not QB pro. But when I see a guy consistently holding the ball too long, most likely missing reads he should be making, it can be from college experience not translating smoothly to the pro game. College QBs are given plays in which they're told look at Joe as your #1 choice, Mike as your #2, Pete as your #3. If no ones' open, tuck the ball and run. I think Nagy's offense was just too complicated from everything I've read about it. Add in that Bear WRs had some issues getting separation. So Fields had problems processing the field, not reading progressions, resulting in holding the ball too long on too many plays, being sacked too often when he shouldn't have been, fumbling after being hit when he shouldn't have been. I've of a mixed mind about how long to sit a rookie QB. I'm old, it's was traditional for a QB to sit for 4 or 5 years. That went out the door when QB draft picks started getting such astronomical contracts (since reduced with the rookie cap). Some think the college pass happy offenses prepare QBs to assume starting duties in the NFL much sooner than they used to but, as I said, those offenses are highly scripted and not equivalent to what the pros play (except maybe the Cardinals).
Fair post Grizz

Thanks