Game Balls and Horns Wk 3 vs HOU

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Middleguard
MVP

I wrote in the games thread what I think about the DEs deserving horns for their complete lack of pass rush. But I also mentioned the possibility that it was some sort of weird gameplan. And perhaps that's so. Others have voted horns for the DTs for their softness against the run, but they got the only sack and QB hits in the game (after none of those in the 1st 2 games).

And re the RG: many were hoping that Jenkins would get to take over full time this game. Quite the opposite. Patrick started for the first time and got 65% of the snaps.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm And re the RG: many were hoping that Jenkins would get to take over full time this game. Quite the opposite. Patrick started for the first time and got 65% of the snaps.
Solidifying the O-line

The Bears finally have a clear leader at right guard: Lucas Patrick.

Patrick, who originally was signed to be the starting center, started over Teven Jenkins against the Texans and played 65% of the snaps. Jenkins started the first two games, but Eberflus said Patrick overtook him in practice last week.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... montgomery
Watching the games it's hard to see how Patrick could overtake Jenkins. This Jenkins situation really is mystifying.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

artbest01 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:27 am Game Balls - Smith, Jackson, Herbert

Horns - Justin Fields. The kid is firmly ensconced in Henry Burris, Jonathan Quinn, Todd Johnson, Rick Mirer and (for the real old timers) Rusty Lisch territory. He's that inept. If he craps his pants (again) in the first half against the Giants, imo, he should sit and continue to sit for a few games. Playing while he's like this isn't doing him any good.
Todd Johnson? The safety?
I mean he wasn’t great, but I wouldn’t put him down in Henry Burris land.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:09 pm
artbest01 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:27 am Game Balls - Smith, Jackson, Herbert

Horns - Justin Fields. The kid is firmly ensconced in Henry Burris, Jonathan Quinn, Todd Johnson, Rick Mirer and (for the real old timers) Rusty Lisch territory. He's that inept. If he craps his pants (again) in the first half against the Giants, imo, he should sit and continue to sit for a few games. Playing while he's like this isn't doing him any good.
Chad Hutchinson?
Burl
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:11 pm
Burl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:09 pm

Chad Hutchinson?
Chutch had that one game against the Vikes though.
I think maybe Krenzel is who he meant.
Middleguard
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm Watching the games it's hard to see how Patrick could overtake Jenkins. This Jenkins situation really is mystifying.
It's not about the games. It's about how they toe Eberflus' line. Eberflus said that Jenkins didn't have a good practice on Wednesday. And even though he practiced well on Thursday and Friday, Patrick practiced well all three days.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm Watching the games it's hard to see how Patrick could overtake Jenkins. This Jenkins situation really is mystifying.
It's not about the games. It's about how they toe Eberflus' line. Eberflus said that Jenkins didn't have a good practice on Wednesday. And even though he practiced well on Thursday and Friday, Patrick practiced well all three days.
Could it also be that Jenk needs to go a little slower for keeping his back recovery on track..
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
docc
Head Coach

Monday nights game..
.."71% of Dallas O line are draft picks by them" Plug in FA Cooper Rush and results are competent
"NY drafted Oline and missed on the last 10 or so"
Daniel Jones looks serviceable..

BOTH Rush and JONES do not seem to have the latent talent of Fields..

The difference Dallas has a strong line..Giants have less but both teams have multiple consistent O line players giving both QBs some time and the consistent O line players that the QBs..
I wish Fields could have heard some of the interesting discussion by Aikeman especially..
SCORE Dallas 23 Giants 16..

Similar but so different then what the Bears have and use..
(I missed some of the convos as I had to devour a nice T Bone..so maybe mixed up a little(3 Shiner bock in too..and a history of Bears missing on O line picks..or not able to develop them//
Dan Quinn has his team working AS A TEAM..

Just RELAX Justin..you have the tools..you have the smarts and dammit...people like you..
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:11 pm

Chad Hutchinson?
Hutchinson had a better rating than the Sex Cannon

I assume he meant Todd Collins

viewtopic.php?p=310025#p310025
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 am
Burl wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 pm

Hutchinson had a better rating than the Sex Cannon

I assume he meant Todd Collins

viewtopic.php?p=310025#p310025
I prefer his brother Tom
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 pm
On the old CB Fans Board - What was that Wannstedt quote?

Something like How can we play X (player who was very good) when player Y (bad at football - Maybe Chris Penn?) is practicing so well?
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm
Middleguard wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm And re the RG: many were hoping that Jenkins would get to take over full time this game. Quite the opposite. Patrick started for the first time and got 65% of the snaps.
Solidifying the O-line

The Bears finally have a clear leader at right guard: Lucas Patrick.

Patrick, who originally was signed to be the starting center, started over Teven Jenkins against the Texans and played 65% of the snaps. Jenkins started the first two games, but Eberflus said Patrick overtook him in practice last week.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... montgomery
Watching the games it's hard to see how Patrick could overtake Jenkins. This Jenkins situation really is mystifying.
I legitimately don't understand either. I was as hard on Jenkins as anyone during the offseason stuff...but he looks really good on Sundays. He's a beast out there.

I guess they just don't like what he brings the rest of the week?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:49 pm
HORNS
- ST''s: Offense backed up a few times due to poor KR's. Gill had a bad punt at crucial time in game. Allowing the first down on the fake punt could have been a back breaker.
Justin played so badly that we're not talking about this enough. Our return and coverage teams SUCK right now. Didn't they basically cut Thomas Graham to make room for DBs that could play ST? Josh Blackwell and Jaylon Jones have 3 tackles and a penalty. VJJ will have to be amazing if he's going to save these units.
xyt in the discord chats
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:47 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm

I legitimately don't understand either. I was as hard on Jenkins as anyone during the offseason stuff...but he looks really good on Sundays. He's a beast out there.

I guess they just don't like what he brings the rest of the week?
I don't know either. But I went back and watched some of Herbie's running plays. Patrick does a good job blocking his man. Jenkins just removes his from the whole fucking scenario.
wab
Mod

Well they are going to have to make a decision soon. They can't rotate every series all season can they?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Awhile back, Flus said something about conditioning. I can follow how that might factor into their thinking about the RG rotation, in several positive ways.

Patrick wasn't in game condition after a thumb surgery and now it seems like he's getting there and is on the (final) uncast thumb mend stage of his healing. He's a starter at C and/or RG, so let's get him (and especially his thumb) in top shape and keep him there for the next 14 games.

I think you can still speculate about Jenkins in regard to his back surgery - maybe Jenk didn't do so well on the Wednesday practice because his back was still too sore and he wanted to loaf around that day.

Meanwhile, Bears are fielding these two hungry young OL in a platoon so every series the defense faces a freshly rested opponent at RG - another conditioning-related move in a scheme where you push other folks around. Maybe Jenk looks so good right now partly due to the rotation giving him some extra recovery time between series.

I guess my game ball goes to Flus for putting so much emphasis on fielding a highly well-conditioned team. Some coaches just pay lip service to conditioning and it really shows in the fourth when the chips are down.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
IE
Hall of Famer

I think an effort to look for evidence that Patrick is playing better isn't going to produce much, because Jenk's issues aren't necessarily his play but more personal/behavioral. Like it or not, Flus has established standards for his new culture and he WILL sit a better player if he thinks they're undermining him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

It doesn't necessarily matter much, but I've never seen Patrick fail to hustle on a play. Haven't seen him drive guys out of bounds, either, but if he's not standing out in a bad way, that's a good thing. Jenkins had a chance on one of Fields' scrambles against the Texans to throw a block, and he just stood around instead; the guy closest to him ended up tackling Fields right around where Jenkins was standing. Not a damnable offense, but from a guy who might find it difficult to stay consistently motivated, that sort of thing might jump right out at Eberflus and Getsy.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 am Well they are going to have to make a decision soon. They can't rotate every series all season can they?
I think it's every two series and that's probably why there was a 65:35 ratio this week.

Just looking at the first 4 Bears possessions:

8 plays plus FG
6 plays ending in a TD

2 plays ending in an INT
4 plays including a false start penalty on Borom (assuming that counts as a snap) and a 7 yard sack

Assuming it was Patrick on the first two drives and Jenkins on the next two then just on those there was a 70:30 ratio, but the success or otherwise of those drives are not necessarily a reflection of either player's individual performance.

The more significant point is that Jenkins started the first 2 games whereas Patrick started this one. Was that a reward for Patrick for training hard all week and a message to Jenkins after he didn't?

It's going to be very interesting in a week or two when Patrick can definitely snap again. Most of us would want to see him at center with Jenkins at RG. It's possible that they don't go that route, which would send a very clear message that Jenkins likely isn't in their long-term plans.