Justin Fields' Stats thus far

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So for the season he is now 23 of 45 for 297 yards and 2 TDs.

Compared to the rest of the NFL so far QBs have:
1. completed 23 or more passes 44 times in a single game,
2, attempted 45 or more passes 16 times in a single game,
3. passed for 297 or more yards 27 times, and
4. thrown 2 or more TDs 35 times in a single game.

Heck, Josh Allen had 42 completions yesterday alone compared to Fields' 45 attempts all year.

I'm not in full blown panic mode yet,. but concern is clearly setting in.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

45 attempts = 15 per game. His YPA is too low at 6.6 and his completion % is too low. Surprisingly, there are a number of other QBs, including some of the heavy hitters, who also only have 2 TD passes so far. I'm not ready to throw him out yet but it's evident that the Bears need to jump start their passing game. Bring in Will Fuller or someone else (don't trade any more draft picks for guys who have already not succeeded with present team but 'might succeed with 2nd chances')? Look at how Philly is using Hurts, Baltimore is using Jackson, and Arizona is using Murray and try to get Fields in that type of offense as all of them can run and throw?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I'd have to imagine that much of Fields' limited production boils down to the coaches understanding that we have to keep our offense on the field and sustain drives in order to compete in these games. We can all see that the running game is working. If wins matter, then this is the formula for success until the QB proves he's capable to actually operating the offense efficiently.

Right now, we rely on the pass, we're going 3 and out.
We run, we keep the opposing QB on the bench, and give ourselves a chance.

It should be the case that the big chunk plays are there for the taking with the running game working as it is. Those plays really haven't materialized, even though we've seen the open WRs. Fields hasn't.

We can probably limp along like this for a little bit. But, even on a relative few attempts, Fields needs to start capitalizing and quickly.
wab
Mod

Burl wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:09 pm I'd have to imagine that much of Fields' limited production boils down to the coaches understanding that we have to keep our offense on the field and sustain drives in order to compete in these games. We can all see that the running game is working. If wins matter, then this is the formula for success until the QB proves he's capable to actually operating the offense efficiently.

It should be the case that the big chunk plays are there for the taking with the running game working as it is. Those plays really haven't materialized, even though we've seen the open WRs. Fields hasn't.

We can probably limp along like this for a little bit. But, even on a relative few attempts, Fields needs to start capitalizing and quickly.
I agree. One dimensional offenses aren't sustainable for more than a few games. Teams will simply stack the box and sell out to stop the run. If the passing game can't be at least marginal, it will start to go south in a hurry.

We saw some of that against the Texans. They didn't respect the pass in the least and were putting 8-9 dudes in the box.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:09 pm I'd have to imagine that much of Fields' limited production boils down to the coaches understanding that we have to keep our offense on the field and sustain drives in order to compete in these games. We can all see that the running game is working. If wins matter, then this is the formula for success until the QB proves he's capable to actually operating the offense efficiently.

There is some truth in that. But it requires a positive play on first down. I’d be curious to see how many of our 3 and outs started with an incomplete pass or a rush for negative or minimal gain. Once we are behind the chains we tend to be doomed.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:51 pm

There is some truth in that. But it requires a positive play on first down. I’d be curious to see how many of our 3 and outs started with an incomplete pass or a rush for negative or minimal gain. Once we are behind the chains we tend to be doomed.
I suspect our first down rush vs pass rate is very high on the rush side. I’d like to see more quick throws on first downs to get confidence going for the whole passing game. Getsy isn’t helping if a lot of our pass attempts are on 3rd and long. We need some layups out there.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:51 pm

I suspect our first down rush vs pass rate is very high on the rush side. I’d like to see more quick throws on first downs to get confidence going for the whole passing game. Getsy isn’t helping if a lot of our pass attempts are on 3rd and long. We need some layups out there.
This all day long. Either Getsy is failing to get JF1 into a rhythm, or he's calling the plays and Justin is either checking out of them, or is not making the right reads. I don't think it's a problem with the OL. I really want to see some scripted plays on Sunday where Justin is forced to make a few short accurate throws in order to get himself into a good cadence with the receivers.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some comps:

Josh Allen :
2018: 52.8% completions, 2074 yards, 6.5 YPA, 10 TD:12 INT
2019: 58.8% completions, 3089 yards, 6.7 YPA, 20 TD:9 INT
2020: 69.2% completions, 4544 yards, 7.9 YPA, 37 TD:10 INT
2021: 63.3% completions, 4407 yards, 6.8 YPA, 36 TD:15 INT

Lamar Jackson:
2018: 58.2% completions, 1201 yards, 7.1 YPA, 6 TD:3 INT
2019: 66.1% completions, 3127 yards, 7.8 YPA, 36 TD:6 INT
2020: 64.4% completions, 2757 yards, 7.3 YPA, 26 TD:9 INT
2021: 64.4% completions, 2882 yards, 7.5 YPA, 16 TD:13 INT

Kyler Murray:
2019: 64.4% completions, 3722 yards, 6.9 YPA, 20TD:12 INT
2020: 67.2% completions, 3921 yards, 7.1 YPA, 26 TD:12 INT
2021: 69.2$ completions, 3787 yards, 7.9 YPA, 24 TD: 10 INT

Tua Tagovailoa:
2020: 64.1% completions, 1814 yards, 6.3 YPA, 11 TD:5 INT
2021: 67.8% completions, 2653 yards, 6.8 YPA, 16 TD:10 INT
IE
Hall of Famer

I see very little value in comps. They just reinforce preconceptions - good or bad. There are a lot of failure comps as well. And some guys that are just so-so. Every case is different, and nobody is "the next ____". What JF1 is, in his unique case, is going to take some time to determine.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:02 pm I see very little value in comps. They just reinforce preconceptions - good or bad. There are a lot of failure comps as well. And some guys that are just so-so. Every case is different, and nobody is "the next ____". What JF1 is, in his unique case, is going to take some time to determine.
None of these guys have led a team to the promised land yet. But comps are the yardstick teams use for evaluating performance. A couple of teams have won the SB with pretty mediocre QB play but they had killer defenses and great running games. The Bears have had the latter but not the former so something is needed out of JF and the passing game. There is plenty of time in '22 for that tho.
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 amI’d like to see more quick throws on first downs to get confidence going for the whole passing game.
Amen, but you, I, and Getsy would all like to see some quick throws, period. There's a thin line between taking it easy on a guy and hanging him out to dry when you know that an easy toss is really more of a coin flip. Drags and slants might be safe choices for most QBs, and with any luck they will be for Fields in time, but right now he's just not pulling the trigger on those when he needs to.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

With our running game we should be able to setup the PA and I-Formation all day long.

Get it to the basics. PA. Two TE sets and pass. Slants. Two RB sets and pass.

Let JF1 call some plays. Let him do what he's comfortable with.

Grab some plays from Ohio State and run them.

There's too much riding on this guy to not try everything.

JF1 is a bit of a refugee. The guy has been through a lot with McNagy and the revolving door at HC, OC and QB coach. Be mindful of that.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:14 pm With our running game we should be able to setup the PA and I-Formation all day long.

Get it to the basics. PA. Two TE sets and pass. Slants. Two RB sets and pass.

Let JF1 call some plays. Let him do what he's comfortable with.

Grab some plays from Ohio State and run them.

There's too much riding on this guy to not try everything.

JF1 is a bit of a refugee. The guy has been through a lot with McNagy and the revolving door at HC, OC and QB coach. Be mindful of that.
If they're sealing the edges so resolutely to contain him, there should be a pocket. Several of those sacks were from designed rollouts that were contained. If they give them the pocket, take the pocket as well as the run game that they are definitely giving them (to the delight of Juice Herbert owners).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
EricTighe
MVP

We have never had a QB with his skill set and work ethic. EVER!

He has to succeed or we are screwed for the next few decades. To old to wait that long.

Still concerned about his body language last Sunday. I hope that his body language improves tomorrow.

Pops always said if you work hard enough good things happen. From what we are hearing no one is going to outwork Fields.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:07 pm
IE wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:02 pm I see very little value in comps. They just reinforce preconceptions - good or bad. There are a lot of failure comps as well. And some guys that are just so-so. Every case is different, and nobody is "the next ____". What JF1 is, in his unique case, is going to take some time to determine.
None of these guys have led a team to the promised land yet. But comps are the yardstick teams use for evaluating performance. A couple of teams have won the SB with pretty mediocre QB play but they had killer defenses and great running games. The Bears have had the latter but not the former so something is needed out of JF and the passing game. There is plenty of time in '22 for that tho.
Trent Dilfer with the Ravens, is the epitome of this statement!
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:36 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:07 pm

Brad Johnson with the Bucs also comes to mind.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:08 am
Shadow wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:36 am
Brad Johnson with the Bucs also comes to mind.
Every 10 years a team wins the superbowl with a garbage qb.

I'm liking these odds.