Band Math

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

This is probably more of an offseason sorta topic, but what the heck.

In a fit of nostalgia, I've been listening to House of Large Sizes a lot lately. They never made it big, but I saw them a ton when I was in grad school in the early '90s, and those were the most consistently fun shows I've ever been to. Bloody, but fun.

Turns out, by now people seem to enjoy comparing them to the Pixies, which is misleading and lazy. So I thought I'd some up with my own comparison, which goes something like this:

House of Large Sizes = The James Gang + (1.5 x The Melvins)

The multiplier is because HOLS was doing Stoner Witch before the Melvins thought about Stoner Witch.

And that reminded me of something I posted to KFFL back in the day:

Cheap Trick = Queen - 1 level of class status + the ability to fix a broken water pump on their van

And yeah, my favorite bands of all time are the trickiest. Maybe:

Game Theory + The Loud Family = The Beatles x Big Star x Guillaume de Machaut + ((Iggy Pop x Jacques Brel)/2)

Y'all got any?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AC/DC is my band. To this day, the most romantic gift my wife got me was the AC/DC Collection on iTunes of which my music collection has to be a couple grand in size. My trance music alone on there could go for days.

For me though there is no substitute for AC/DC and my favorite song is Shoot To Thrill from a live album.

Lately though I've been listening to a shit ton of Post Malone. He's so talented it's ridiculous and I hate it that I missed his show in Chicago from a couple weeks ago. It was during the work week and like a lot of you I've got responsibilities so a mid-week concert is not a good idea.

In terms of my bands or solo acts, here's my All Time Ranking:

1) AC/DC
2) Stone Temple Pilots
3) Pink Floyd
4) Jimi Hendrix

Then assorted other things ranging from Motley Crue to Tupac and I'll even play some Christian music from time to time.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

@karhu , love the topic of music but do not know how I would do what you are talking about. I listen to stuff you don't hear on the radio. Blues is just not main stream, the majority of peeps do not listen to blues. Outside of blues I listen to anything from the 70s and classic rock. I never have my radio or other streaming channels on anything that would be considered current. I like what I like and don't stray too far away.

TMP I love me some Jimi Hendrix. Went to a concert about 5 yrs ago, Experience Jimi Hendrix. It was current guitar players doing his music. Zakk Wylde, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Mato Nanji, Cesar Rosas, Doyle Bramhall II and others. They continue to do this concert yearly and other guitar players sit in.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am @karhu , love the topic of music but do not know how I would do what you are talking about. I listen to stuff you don't hear on the radio. Blues is just not main stream, the majority of peeps do not listen to blues. Outside of blues I listen to anything from the 70s and classic rock. I never have my radio or other streaming channels on anything that would be considered current. I like what I like and don't stray too far away.

TMP I love me some Jimi Hendrix. Went to a concert about 5 yrs ago, Experience Jimi Hendrix. It was current guitar players doing his music. Zakk Wylde, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Mato Nanji, Cesar Rosas, Doyle Bramhall II and others. They continue to do this concert yearly and other guitar players sit in.
I'm there with you, Otis. Have to listen to my collection of classic rock, blues, and jazz as they consider "classic" rock to be the hair heavy metal bands of the '80s. There are good Internet radio stations playing all 3 formats also.

"Cheap Trick = Queen - 1 level of class status + the ability to fix a broken water pump on their van": nah, their music is nothing alike. Although I agree, Cheap Trick guys probably fixed their own vehicle many times before making it. One of the Queen guys (drummer or bassist) loved cars, he probably could have done it. Maybe Brian May, the astrophysicist.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

@Grizzled , I found a couple of really good streaming stations on tunein.com. Pirate radio (pirateradio.com) and Mountain Drive Radio. These 2 stations literally play everything. You may hear some classic rock, some blues then some Frank Sinatra and some americana. It is the same for both stations. Another good station I stream is 102 the Q. Lots of b side classic rock stuff.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am @karhu , love the topic of music but do not know how I would do what you are talking about. I listen to stuff you don't hear on the radio. Blues is just not main stream, the majority of peeps do not listen to blues. Outside of blues I listen to anything from the 70s and classic rock. I never have my radio or other streaming channels on anything that would be considered current. I like what I like and don't stray too far away.

Thanks for the tip on the Experience Jimi Hendrix concert! I’m going to Google that.
karhu
Head Coach

Mato Nanji!!!! I love that guy.

And yeah, this was just a late-night whim/brain fart of a topic. I tend to work late, late hours and to get up at around 6:00 with the kids. Instead of drinking coffee at 1:00 a.m., I tend to listen to loud music to keep me going. Posted this in a flush of relief after finishing a piece and throwing off my headphones. Call it the fatigue version of a drunk post, or the mental version of the bends when I surfaced after another day of writing 3,000 words or so.

Also, SRV = Albert King + (Jimi Hendrix/2)?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:52 am "Cheap Trick = Queen - 1 level of class status + the ability to fix a broken water pump on their van"
Yeah, I think the original post was something like "Robin Zander is Freddie Mercury if he could fix my Jimmy's water pump faster than I've been able to."

End of the day, I'm just an old dad with young sons who's wondering how kids these days find good music. Radio's dead, and most "rock journalism" is right down there with "sports journalism," so I was thinking about fresh ways to describe good bands to people who've never heard them.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

One of my new favorite guys/bands, Albert Castiligia. This bass player recently left the band to have a child.