Week 6 // Bears (2-3) vs Commanders (1-4)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

You have problems
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Fields played a terrible game. He showed tremendous toughness, but he was terrible.

Others were just as bad - Braxton Jones was horrendous. Ditto Lucas Patrick. Velus Jones Jr clearly isn’t a punt returner.

Getsy left jones on an island way too many times last night - Sweat was emasculating him.

There’s no remote comparison between Eberflus and Trestman. Teams that only surrender 12 points are not remotely “flat.” He’s coaching arguably the leagues worst roster without a QB. Let’s see how he does when he has a bona fide roster
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Horrendous game which was the poster child for pointing out, yet again, the weaknesses of this team. Which have been enumerated by other posters. All I'll add is Poles continues to do nothing to try and correct the issues with different players who are available.

And a shout-out to our English brethren, HRS and Ditka's Dictaphone, who stayed up really late to torture themselves with that game and were on Discord. As for Ditka, I think he's in the market for an alpaca now, he and the wife recently encountered one and he seems enamored with them.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:03 am ...
In my opinion Fields is already damaged goods. Both Nagy and Getsy have fucked him up, and he’s not even sure what he should be doing. He’s not playing, he’s thinking…way way too much.
10000% correct.

This is the perfect s4!tstorm: Fields perfectionist nature has him in a place where he's overthinking EVERYTHING. I suspect he's holding the ball in an effort to not throw INTs but he simply can't afford to do that. The line is too awful to give him that luxury. This whole mess is starting to sink into his subconscious mind, leading to him now expecting WR to not be open and expecting to have to scramble. It's leading to bad wiring that's going to be hard to undo...
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 pm
RustinFields wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:56 pm Getsy was calling a great game in the first half.

Also I've been complaining about this in chat, but Leno's been stealing Quinn's lunch all game.
I disagree. I thought Getsy called a terrible game overall.
Agree to disagree. Getsy was getting our sub-par wr's open. He had a good run/pass balance. He knew we couldnt run on this interior and he kept pounding away at our edges. Stretch plays were extremely hit or miss because neither back is a burner and it was taking them too long to get to the outside vs how long our OL could hold blocks.
He did great with what he had. I dont know how many people watching the game have to point out that "Fields has to throw that ball" before fans stop blaming the coaches.

This is 100% where I am right now:
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Clean catch and it's over. WTF??
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
wab
Mod

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:48 am Clean catch and it's over. WTF??
What’s funny (or sad) is that they did a segment about Mooney and his jugs machine earlier in the game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

There were at least 4 drops, and then that one which I guess isn’t a drop but the bobble cost us the TD. A fumbled punt for a TD. And Fields missed a TD throw my 4 year old can make - Fields just looks bad. Very bad. And our OL gets stoned on the inch line on another 4th and goal (plus Getsy runs Herbert there instead of Monty?) I didn’t want to over react either way to this game, but my god I’m having a hard time believing Fieds is our future right now.

For good measure, our OL was whooped all night long. And Leno absolutely dominated Quinn. Worst game of Jones career. Patrick and Mustipher continue to get dominated. FML.

Out of all of it, the only player the coaches constantly bench and fuck with is Jenkins. No other player appears to be held to a performance standard, only him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:06 am
Agree to disagree. Getsy was getting our sub-par wr's open. He had a good run/pass balance. He knew we couldnt run on this interior and he kept pounding away at our edges. Stretch plays were extremely hit or miss because neither back is a burner and it was taking them too long to get to the outside vs how long our OL could hold blocks.
He did great with what he had. I dont know how many people watching the game have to point out that "Fields has to throw that ball" before fans stop blaming the coaches.

Two things can be true at the same time.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I hope Fields' shoulder (or some other ding) keeps him out until we play the Lions. That kind of a game is NOT good for his development. He got his ass beat over and over again, gave the team a chance to win it twice at the end, only to have to take a long, loser's ice bath. He's learning to run for his life, not how to read the field. What we're seeing is how talented QBs get ruined.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:10 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:48 am Clean catch and it's over. WTF??
What’s funny (or sad) is that they did a segment about Mooney and his jugs machine earlier in the game.
It's just Bear fandom despair now. I don't laugh or cry, I just stare.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:46 am
Story of the night. So close over & over again. Inches of misses. Made me just sick. Last night if they didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all.

420 yards of offense and only 7 points to show for it is... seemingly impossible. You need a near perfect storm of bad luck and goofups for that. Heck, they would have won if they just kicked a FG on every first & goal. They should have scored 28 points. The worst part of the loss is the troll fuel, IMO... the joy in others' pain.

I was expecting 1 or 2 of the WRs to step up besides Mooney. One was supposed to be Kmet and that is just not happening yet. Pettis can so some things and I definitely overreacted re: his performance last week - it just sucks that they seem so snakebit. Between Harry and Velus (and hopefully Pringle will come back healthy) I sure am hoping we see another guy become a reliable weapon for JF1. And a change in luck.

I thought Fitz was being sort of a dick and completely disagree with him that JF1 can't be a pocket passer. It's absurd. There's no established fact about what he can & can't do. The only person I like on that Thursday night crew is Sherman. The rest are horrible, IMO (not just this week - every week). I agree with Sherman that Hurts' development is the model.

Next year's priorities, IMO: Stud Center, Stud WR, Stud 3T, Stud TE. $125MM and 7 draft picks should enable that, and also several other good upgrades.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Fields missed a ton of plays in the first half that would’ve changed the direction of how the second half went, including the protection. He had good protection up until the point we could’ve been up by 14, but those chances were squandered. To top it off, it feels as though the whole offensive execution in other areas falls apart when these opportunities are not cashed in.

I’m taking my rose colored glasses at last. His short and intermediate game is not NFL caliber, or ready. He talked in his post game presser about his reads on the last play, yet I don’t see him going through his progressions and taking the easy valve out. It’s almost like he can’t. Missing Mooney on the slant, Pettis on the crossing tells me he’s either looking for the downfield target, or run.

Add to the fact that he IS the league leader holding the ball while protection crumbles around him, I am starting to feel he is the reason most of the talent deficiencies and poor execution are magnified through. I don’t for one second believe any other QB (even Siemean) would fare this poorly behind the same set of circumstances.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Troll fuel lol IE

We got to see a rare feat, a sextuple troll, full of glee and mockery and enjoying the failure. It’s kid of like the Triple Lindy in Back to School.

IE
Hall of Famer

I'll say this: If Jesper Horsted was on this team, they would have had 2 more TDs last night. It's just a fact. IF they were going to try to win this year, his inadequacies were not enough to let go of what he CAN do - which is catch contested TDs with authority.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:40 am I thought Fitz was being sort of a dick and completely disagree with him that JF1 can't be a pocket passer. It's absurd. There's no established fact about what he can & can't do. The only person I like on that Thursday night crew is Sherman. The rest are horrible, IMO (not just this week - every week). I agree with Sherman that Hurts' development is the model.
I thought he was being downright disrespectful. Fields has historically passed out of a pocket dating back to Ohio State.

The only thing he was right about, is that at this point in his development, he sees the field better when he's on the move. He makes quicker decisions on the move.

He can't be a pocket passer when there is no pocket. That's not always on Fields.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sometimes you need an A/B test to validate theories. I’d like to see Siemean play and see how different it looks, or doesn’t look, with the same surrounding cast of clowns. Maybe Fields benefits from seeing Siemean get the ball out into the hands of playmakers instead of trying to do everything himself.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 am Sometimes you need an A/B test to validate theories. I’d like to see Siemean play and see how different it looks, or doesn’t look, with the same surrounding cast of clowns. Maybe Fields benefits from seeing Siemean get the ball out into the hands of playmakers instead of trying to do everything himself.
I think based on how badly Fields is getting knocked around, we will see Siemian before the end of the season.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think you just can't be throwing past DLine heads at the end zone. Sometimes guys can find passing lanes but mostly those get swatted down unless they are schemed open. The fade is a good answer, and he missed it. That was the game.

Throwing to little Mooney right on the goal line is probably not a good idea. A big bodied WR like Harry and that is a TD too. Then all of the sudden people are talking about JF1's 3TD game and 450 yards of offense. WOW! I mean we're talking like 2-3 plays. I spend a few years watching zero yards of offense for a half and no offense other than garbage time. We're already WELL beyond that in my mind.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:48 am I'll say this: If Jesper Horsted was on this team, they would have had 2 more TDs last night. It's just a fact. IF they were going to try to win this year, his inadequacies were not enough to let go of what he CAN do - which is catch contested TDs with authority.
A week ago when the raiders were down to only a healthy Horsted at TE I literally said to myself "I bet IE is absolutely blowing his load right now."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 am Sometimes you need an A/B test to validate theories. I’d like to see Siemean play and see how different it looks, or doesn’t look, with the same surrounding cast of clowns. Maybe Fields benefits from seeing Siemean get the ball out into the hands of playmakers instead of trying to do everything himself.
I 100% believe that Trevor is going to look better, and then everyone is going to accuse Getsy of suddenly running a different offense. "Why dont that run that offense with Fields?!?!?"

Making excuses for QB's is a disease we've all been dealing with for decades.
IE
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:15 am
IE wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:48 am I'll say this: If Jesper Horsted was on this team, they would have had 2 more TDs last night. It's just a fact. IF they were going to try to win this year, his inadequacies were not enough to let go of what he CAN do - which is catch contested TDs with authority.
A week ago when the raiders were down to only a healthy Horsted at TE I literally said to myself "I bet IE is absolutely blowing his load right now."
I was - and I was also yelling about what morons they were for not throwing to him in the end zone! LOL
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

How many games has the kid played? If you bench Fields, it's over and you draft QB in April. Without a doubt, you play him the rest of the year to see if he develops.

This idea of playing Siemian is absurd. What does an extra win or 2 do for this team? I'll tell you, absolutely nothing. This is not a playoff team. This is a bottom of the barrel, talent deficient team.

Fields is the key going forward. Poles and Co. need to know without doubt whether to ride with him going forward (2023 and beyond) or to draft a QB.
wab
Mod

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:38 am How many games has the kid played? If you bench Fields, it's over and you draft QB in April. Without a doubt, you play him the rest of the year to see if he develops.

This idea of playing Siemian is absurd. What does an extra win or 2 do for this team? I'll tell you, absolutely nothing. This is not a playoff team. This is a bottom of the barrel, talent deficient team.

Fields is the key going forward. Poles and Co. need to know without doubt whether to ride with him going forward (2023 and beyond) or to draft a QB.
The only way you sit Fields is if he is hurt.

There IS benefit in seeing Siemian though in terms of understanding the effectiveness of the offense. I don't think anyone is expecting Siemian to turn into Kurt Warner and take the Bears to the playoffs, but seeing it work under a QB who gets the ball out quicker and can consistently make the right reads would help inform a lot of decisions.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 am
I think based on how badly Fields is getting knocked around, we will see Siemian before the end of the season.
Did you see Fields' knee get bent back last night?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 am
wab wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 am
Did you see Fields' knee get bent back last night?
Yeah. I did not think he was getting back up after that.

It also should have been a penalty, but that's a different story.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

This is ridiculous Fields has always been a better QB than Pryor.

Literally the only reason the Bears were even in this game was because of Fields legs and some amazing throws he made despite being under duress. Including the only touchdown they scored.

Fields didn’t call a run behind the left side of the line on 4th and goal on the one.

Fields didn’t have Velus Jones returning punts despite him struggling with it in preseason and already fumbling one in the regular season. That’s arguably two games Velus Jones has cost the Bears because he can’t track punts properly.

Fields missed some easy throws that he needs to make but ultimately this loss falls on Eberflus.

Velus shouldn’t be returning punts, Mustipher shouldn’t be playing, Patrick shouldn’t be playing guard. The left tackle should be getting help or benched.

If they just had Pettis return punts instead of Velus they win this game.

That’s on the coach for playing guys they want to do well in a position instead of players that are actually competent at what they’re being asked to do.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Pretty much spot on.

Wish it weren't so.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

He should have sat more as a Rookie ideally - There is a benefit to watching and learning too.

If Fields busts - I will not be happy.

But people just have to stop the apologism - Basically from when he was drafted it was clear what the biggest issues were going to be - Seeing the Field and Getting the Ball out quicker. (I think these are related)

Dplank - When Mitch busted did it actually make you happy? I doubt it. Fields busting won't be a happy day for me either.

I've been right on plenty over the years (helps that I pick the worst arguments from folks) - To have to eat a bunch of Crow - 1 time? (albeit a bunch of that crow) - to get a FRANCHISE QB? On a Rookie Contract?

I'd sign up for that deal every day of the week

I don't even need/want people to own up to all the stuff that's been spewed. With one exception: When you insinuated that people were racist if they questioning Fields as a prospect and/or thoughts Lawrence was the better prospect

You should probably make some amends on that IMHO. That was pretty crappy.