2023 Mock Draft: Marshall Got Bored And Googled

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

No fishing today. Sitting here with the dog watching Maverick (again) before I do my chores having my coffee and decided to Google what the mock draft for something that happens like six months from now look like. No agenda other than that.

These guys have us drafting Carter, the DT from Georgia at #2 overall.

They have Anderson from Alabama going #1 overall which I don't know if I agree with that one given that Mills is the Texans QB.

So any-who, this is what I'm talking about when I say we should sell the pick.

Say that this is true. We have the #2 overall. All the QBs are on the board. The God damn phone will be ringing off the hook and I say we do it.

The teams immediately below us are Carolina, Seattle, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta.

Notice a common need amongst those teams? No it's not kicker.

We can take one of them to the cleaners and still have a top 5 or top 10 first round pick. Then honestly, say it's the #5 pick, sell it again.

We're going to be able to rebuild this team provided Poles isn't an idiot.

H_ngm_n just shot down the last 5th generation fighter. Hot damn I love this movie.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023 ... -10-picks/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I wonder what Atlanta’s Ryan Pace would offer for our pick?

4 firsts :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Z Bear
MVP

I am staying at 2 and drafting Carter....this teams needs a 3T bad. Pittsburgh and Atlanta just drafted QBs early so they will not be taking another one yet. On top of that you have 3 QBs (Young, Levis, Stroud) so that will create less urgency to move up. You are looking at a 1st and 3rd or 4th for one of those teams to move up a couple spots, so I would rather sit they and take BPA.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:50 am Pittsburgh and Atlanta just drafted QBs early so they will not be taking another one yet. On top of that you have 3 QBs (Young, Levis, Stroud) so that will create less urgency to move up.
I doubt that's the case.
The year Fields came out, there were 5 QBs and 2/5 tradeups
In the 2017 Draft there were 3 QBs and all 3 (Mitch/Watson/Mahomes) were tradeups
QBs are always a desperate need and almost always a seller's market
Z Bear wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:50 am I am staying at 2 and drafting Carter....this teams needs a 3T bad.
It's tough. I mentioned elsewhere that the early round strengths of 2023 and Bear needs don't align well.
You can:
Force offensive players on your turn. Not really good.
Take value, which will probably mean defense. In which case, you can probably write Justin Fields off, and plan on trying for QB again in 2024.
Try to skillfully trade down, get some offensive help at reasonable slots, and try for gamebreakers and/or defensive help in 2024. Managing the trades is hard and who knows how early you draft the next year.

Yeah, I'm not figuring in FA, but I'm always pessimistic about how much you can accomplish with that and try not to count on it too much. Good players tend to get re-signed and those who hit the market are generally Buyer Beware in some fashion - old, malcontent, injury risk, 1-yr wonders, insanely overpriced...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:34 am Yeah, I'm not figuring in FA, but I'm always pessimistic about how much you can accomplish with that and try not to count on it too much. Good players tend to get re-signed and those who hit the market are generally Buyer Beware in some fashion - old, malcontent, injury risk, 1-yr wonders, insanely overpriced...

You cannot discount free agency when you have over $100M in room plus can make more by moving Quinn and Whitehair. Look at that list below and tell me who can be that 3T the Bears need. That is why staying put and drafting Carter makes a lot of sense if the Bears are sitting at 2.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... e-tackle//
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:50 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:34 am Yeah, I'm not figuring in FA, but I'm always pessimistic about how much you can accomplish with that and try not to count on it too much. Good players tend to get re-signed and those who hit the market are generally Buyer Beware in some fashion - old, malcontent, injury risk, 1-yr wonders, insanely overpriced...

You cannot discount free agency when you have over $100M in room plus can make more by moving Quinn and Whitehair. Look at that list below and tell me who can be that 3T the Bears need. That is why staying put and drafting Carter makes a lot of sense if the Bears are sitting at 2.

I don't know if Payne is a great fit, and he's going to get a lot of money. But he and Jones might make for a good inside duo. Tuli Tuipulotu and Tyler Davis look like potential 2nd round picks.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm a lot more content to let Justin Jones placehold for another year than I am to let Fields get killed for another year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:21 pm

I'm a lot more content to let Justin Jones placehold for another year than I am to let Fields get killed for another year.
I am too. And I'm not convinced Carter is the next Reggie White any more than I'm not convinced he isn't just another Justin Jones.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:34 am I wonder what Atlanta’s Ryan Pace would offer for our pick?

4 firsts :lol:
Or a Ricky Williams type trade.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

Personally, I think it’s crazy that anyone can watch full game tape of Anderson and Carter and come away thinking Carter is the better prospect….

If we’re on the board and Anderson is there, it’s very hard to not take him. Early on I was a little iffy on him, then I watched his full games. He’s a day 1 starter and double digit sack guy.