Update: Bears currently hold the #2 overall pick

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears really improved their standing this week as a lot of other teams got to 4 wins.

Now 2nd (probably 4/5, after everyone gets to 12 games)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm Raider won while the Bears lost. They're #2 now.
This is where we need to be to get one of those two premier defensive lineman. Houston appears uncatchable for #1, but you'd have to think they would draft a QB right?? So maybe pick #3 gets it done for us?

I'm really starting to hate that Claypool trade. Looking at a top 3 2nd round pick for 1 year of that guy? Not sure that was wise...
I have to think QBs go 1 and 2 so 3 and 4 might see Anderson from Alabama and Carter from Georgia go after them. I was originally thinking Anderson but I'm leaning towards Carter now, that disrupter in the middle. With Mooney going down for the rest of the season, maybe they'll completely take the training wheels off Claypool and we'll see what he's capable of. I still like the trade. If they hadn't made it, they'd have had to draft a WR highly in '23 and Claypool doesn't have that adjustment curve for guys just coming out of college. I'd still like to see them add another top college WR but it doesn't have to be in the 1st, there's several guys available in the 2nd and 3rd.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I go back and forth between Anderson and Carter. I still lean slightly towards Anderson, even though I think he projects best as a 3-4 player, he gives me that Khalil Mack/Von Miller vibe - and that can transcend scheme.

But I would be perfectly happy with Either of them.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am I go back and forth between Anderson and Carter. I still lean slightly towards Anderson, even though I think he projects best as a 3-4 player, he gives me that Khalil Mack/Von Miller vibe - and that can transcend scheme.

If Will Anderson is there, you take him. I know there's concerns about the scheme, but I trust Eberflus to utilize that kind of talent appropriately and not shoehorn him into a scheme out of stubborn pride. Anderson's pass rush is impeccable, and he instantly makes the rest of the surrounding defense better by simply being a terror on every snap. The guy is a problem, and I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean he's one of those guys who offensive coordinators say "just do the best you can" to his guys because there's not much you can do beyond putting double-teams and supplemental blockers in there with a lot of screens.

If Anderson's off the board and one of those QBs is there, I think you could trade down a few picks and still have an opportunity for either Carter or Skoronski. Carter concerns me a little going in the top 5, as he's more of a guy you draft to finalize an already-good defense than a cornerstone you build around.
karhu
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am I go back and forth between Anderson and Carter. I still lean slightly towards Anderson, even though I think he projects best as a 3-4 player, he gives me that Khalil Mack/Von Miller vibe - and that can transcend scheme.

Same here. Anderson's about the same size as the mannequin we keep trotting out with Muhammad written on his jersey. The 49ers and Cowboys run even fronts and each starts a DE around Anderson's size if not smaller. And Anderson's a better edge-setter than either of those guys. He looks lean, but he plays heavy when he needs to. He also plays with a sense of urgency that you can't coach.

I'd been overthinking it, too, until recently. Anderson makes the line better. Carter makes it possible for the right guys to get the matchups they need to play better. Love 'em both, but advantage Anderson.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

There is quite a lot of draft depth at edge as there is all over the defense
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

karhu
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:20 pm There is quite a lot of draft depth at edge as there is all over the defense
Sure. But is depth really our biggest concern? Would we have been better off trading Quinn and Mack for, say, three guys capable of six sacks a year (Muhammad types)?

Or do we lack top-end talent? Players who manifestly make the guys around them better?

A deep draft without compelling top-end talent means a trade-down, no question about it. A deep draft with prospects like Anderson at its head means something else IMSO.

Anderson seems like he can flat bring it.

Murphy runs a lot of stunts and games with Bresee; do we have a 3T who's to the NFL what Bresee is in CFB?

I probably like Tyree Davis better than most, but he's got--where have we heard this one before?--a broken bone in his foot, leaving him still to learn a bunch of things Anderson might have already forgotten about pass rushing. And I'm not convinced that he's as good a run defender, even spotting him 30 pounds over Anderson.

And on down the line. If WR was our biggest need, trading down would make sense. That's a big corps, and we'd need to add enough talent to give it a chance to shake out. But this is different. For all the O-line's problems, for all of Fields's limitations, we've still run the ball like champs and thrown for more TDs than 11 other teams (same number as Tom Brady, matter of fact). We're dead last in sacks. Our team leader in sacks is Traded to Another Team (Quinn + Smith with 3.5). Our two leading pass-rushers are a concussed rookie safety and an undrafted rookie linebacker. Our remaining players have 29 fewer QB hits than the next-worst team--and even if you count Quinn's and Smith's contributions, we have 23 fewer.

It's that dire. We're that desperate. We need our best shot, not at competent DE play, but at game-wrecking DE play that demands double-teams, sets Justin Jones loose, turns our NT into a pocket-collapsing force, and generally forces QBs to make business decisions. It might be that no one in this draft fits that bill. If anyone does, I submit that it's Anderson. More importantly, I think that he actually does. If he's that guy, it doesn't really matter how close the others are. They're not the guy. We should get the guy. And solve at least one of our problems, rather than making a couple of them hurt us less.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Pittsburgh won!
Suckers

Bears up to 2/4* now

karhu
Head Coach

Anyone watching US-Iran? I want Yunus Musah as our new nickleback.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'm just curious how most of you are thinking going into the draft next year. It's tough not knowing what they do in FA, but assuming we end up with the #2 pick - if you're Ryan Poles and Houston takes Bryce Young #1 overall - which of the below scenarios would you choose from, if you were him:

A. Trade the #2 pick for a haul. (How far down would you go in R1? Who would be your R1 target?)
B. Stand pat and draft Will Anderson Jr.
C. Stand pat and draft Jalen Carter
D. None of the above (explain)
Never Die Easy
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm I'm just curious how most of you are thinking going into the draft next year. It's tough not knowing what they do in FA, but assuming we end up with the #2 pick - if you're Ryan Poles and Houston takes Bryce Young #1 overall - which of the below scenarios would you choose from, if you were him:

A. Trade the #2 pick for a haul. (How far down would you go in R1? Who would be your R1 target?)
Or trade down to pick 3 and take one of Carter/Anderson?
I’ve mock drafted that a few times, Detroit usually give me 3 and their (high) second round pick.

wab
Mod

I don't think I'd want to trade past #4. You are guaranteed Anderson or Carter that way.

I still think the Bears ultimately pick somewhere between 4 and 6.
dplank
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm I'm just curious how most of you are thinking going into the draft next year. It's tough not knowing what they do in FA, but assuming we end up with the #2 pick - if you're Ryan Poles and Houston takes Bryce Young #1 overall - which of the below scenarios would you choose from, if you were him:

B.

Unless the trade down is just one spot for someone wanting a QB and we would still get Anderson, then A. But I suppose it also depends on the haul, I wouldn't pass on multiple #1's coming to us if someone is enamored with a QB prospect. So, I guess I don't know WTF I'd do lol...
wab
Mod

So for the sake of argument, lets assume that the draft order remains the same:

1. Houston Texans (1-9-1)
2. Chicago Bears (3-9)
3. Detroit Lions (via Los Angeles Rams) (3-8)
4. Seattle Seahawks (via Denver Broncos) (3-8)
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (3-7)
6. Carolina Panthers (4-8)
7. Philadelphia Eagles (via New Orleans Saints) (4-8)
8. Arizona Cardinals (4-8)
9. Green Bay Packers (4-8)
10. Las Vegas Raiders (4-7)

Houston and Carolina are almost certainly going to look at a QB, but Houston could also use Carter/Anderson. Seattle might be happy with Geno and would likely be interested in Anderson, same with the Steelers. Philadelphia needs an entirely new defensive line. Arizona needs an offensive line. The Packers need receiving help, and the Raiders could go any number of ways honestly.

The only way Detroit trades up one spot is if they believe a team like Carolina is going to move up, but Carolina could just stay put and take Anthony Richardson or Will Levis. Carolina could be a trade partner, but the Bears would be risking losing out on either Anderson or Carter and would have to settle for someone like Myles Murphy (who they apparently have heavily scouted).

The Eagles could move up for one of the top defenders, but again, going from 7 to 2 might be more expensive than they want to pay for Anderson or Carter.

IMO, and assuming the Bears DO stay at #2, it looks like the best option is to try and fleece the Seahawks out of a boatload of picks for Anderson...otherwise just stay put and take the defender they want the most.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, in general, being on the receiving end of big haul for a tiny move sounds really great in theory (and some sims will let you do it) - but in practice, it rarely makes sense and is super hard to pull off.

I'd love to rake it in for a hypothetical 3 to 5 move, but I'm not going to hold my breath. (I don't even sim them, because I consider them too unlikely to bother with or get your hopes up over.)

Odds are high the Bears either draft too late for a QB trade up OR any trade offered drops you too far for Anderson/Carter/Murphy to be in play.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So Will Anderson might be the best edge prospect this decade. I know that sounds crazy because there has been really good edge prospects in the last 5 years.

The comp is von miller and it doesnt take an expert to see that comparison. Another might be Vic Beasley whom I was a huge fan of, that never quite panned out.

Anderson is fantastic, fast explosive, uses his hands well, bends, tough, etc. His negative is hes thin. I think max he can play is 260 and that's rocked the fuck up. Hes a touch thicker then the two comps above. He will probably play around 250 ish.

Ideally hes a 3-4 rush, but he can play a RE in a 4-3.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:28 am So Will Anderson might be the best edge prospect this decade. I know that sounds crazy because there has been really good edge prospects in the last 5 years.

The comp is von miller and it doesnt take an expert to see that comparison. Another might be Vic Beasley whom I was a huge fan of, that never quite panned out.

Anderson is fantastic, fast explosive, uses his hands well, bends, tough, etc. His negative is hes thin. I think max he can play is 260 and that's rocked the fuck up. Hes a touch thicker then the two comps above. He will probably play around 250 ish.

Ideally hes a 3-4 rush, but he can play a RE in a 4-3.
Yeah, I think the Von Miller comp is pretty good. Or even Parsons as a recent comp. If the Bears had that kind of presence on defense it would really change things.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yeah, it's tempting to trade and get a haul but getting a monster talent at DE would help immensely also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Updated top 10 after Sunday's games:

1. Houston Texans (1-10-1)
2. Chicago Bears (3-10)
3. Seattle Seahawks (via Denver Broncos) (3-9)
4. Detroit Lions (via Los Angeles Rams) (3-9)
5. Carolina Panthers (4-8)
6. Philadelphia Eagles (via New Orleans Saints) (4-8)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8)
8. Arizona Cardinals (4-8)
9. Indianapolis Colts (4-8-1)
10. Atlanta Falcons (5-8)

Week 14 is the last of the Bye Weeks: Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Washington Commanders

As long as the Bears don't go and do anything silly (like win), the #2 pick is a very real possibility. The Bears next 4 opponents are a combined 35-13, and Detroit - the one losing team - is starting to look pretty good.

Although with the Broncos inevitably lose to the Chiefs this coming Sunday, they will take over temporary possession of #2.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The bears will go and smash the Eagles after that horror Q4 yesterday, because Bears. :(