NFL Admits Bears Got Screwed vs. Dolphins

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Yes, its good news indeed that Bears are pursuing this issue in a vigorous manner.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:42 pm Yes, its good news indeed that Bears are pursuing this issue in a vigorous manner.
We strenuously object!
malk
Head Coach

This might be apocryphal but there's a story that Martin Johnson, the England rugby captain, wasn't happy with how the referee was missing fouls on his team so he asked to speak to the ref (common for captains in rugby) explained that he though play was dangerous and finished with "if you don't look after my players I will". At 6'7" and 260lbs he might be worth listening to in that regard!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Jenkins coming back and and putting that into action. Also, in my opinion anyway, Eberflus needs to up the ante if this keeps happening. He's paid enough to take a fine if it comes to that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:36 am This might be apocryphal but there's a story that Martin Johnson, the England rugby captain, wasn't happy with how the referee was missing fouls on his team so he asked to speak to the ref (common for captains in rugby) explained that he though play was dangerous and finished with "if you don't look after my players I will". At 6'7" and 260lbs he might be worth listening to in that regard!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Jenkins coming back and and putting that into action. Also, in my opinion anyway, Eberflus needs to up the ante if this keeps happening. He's paid enough to take a fine if it comes to that.
The polite discourse between team captain and referee in Rugby is fantastic. I really want the NFL to adopt the Rugby method of refereeing games, in all aspects. The referees don't treat the players like children, they have mutual respect and actually talk about things. The referees don't act like megalomaniacs either, they know their place in the game and are happy to have oversight from above and just want to get it right. They seem to have MORE freedom to interpret fairness in the game, not less, and they use that freedom correctly in most cases. They give thorough explanations behind why they called something the way they did, and because they include the captains on the explanation most times there's agreement and they play on and the players don't walk away feeling like they got screwed. Is it perfect? No, of course not, but it is light years ahead of the NFL IMO.

The NFL treats the game like it's being played in a courtroom. A rulebook so big that it is simply impossible to get everything right in live action, and a refusal to allow for proper oversight (out of fear of being upstaged somehow or having their authority undercut). No room for interpretation, they end up making calls that they don't even think are right but the "have to call it that way". The refs, for all the grief I and other fans give them, are trying to do their best under horrible circumstances IMO. There's no reason to not allow the refs to use every piece of tech out there to help them call the game right, and it can all be done in a manner that doesn't interrupt the game flow - likely improves on it from what we currently have.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I accept refs can be shit because it’s not an easy job, but I expect them to be shit in a consistent unbiased way.

Don’t give shitty calls to the Dolphins and then fail to give an obvious call for the same offense against the Bears.

It’s the inconsistency that bugs people most, not the quality of the calls
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

bbaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:14 pm I thought the worst hit that was ignored was on a sack. The first guy hit him, and Justin was on a knee (already down, and defenseless) when the second defender came in and drilled him hard. He was asking the refs about it, pointing out that he was already down on his knee when the second hit happened.

Needless to say, they didn't replay any of those late hits on the screen in the stadium, so I never got a second look at it.
You mean this one? I replay it for you:

Ridiculous no call.

And what the FUCK is Schofield doing on that play? It might be a screen, but you still have to at least slow your man down some. You can't give him a free run. Did I say how much I miss Tevin? Schofield misses another one here:

If Tevin can't go, maybe we should put in Ja'Tyre Carter. What's he on the roster for? Certainly can't be worse than those two plays.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:46 am
bbaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:14 pm I thought the worst hit that was ignored was on a sack. The first guy hit him, and Justin was on a knee (already down, and defenseless) when the second defender came in and drilled him hard. He was asking the refs about it, pointing out that he was already down on his knee when the second hit happened.

Needless to say, they didn't replay any of those late hits on the screen in the stadium, so I never got a second look at it.
You mean this one? I replay it for you:

Ridiculous no call.

And what the FUCK is Schofield doing on that play? It might be a screen, but you still have to at least slow your man down some. You can't give him a free run. Did I say how much I miss Tevin? Schofield misses another one here:

If Tevin can't go, maybe we should put in Ja'Tyre Carter. What's he on the roster for? Certainly can't be worse than those two plays.
That hit on Fields was far worse than the one on Heinicke vs the Eagles last week on Monday night. It's total BS what the officials do or don't do. I get that there will be calls they miss, but when your responsibility is watching the QB and he gets hit late, I don't understand how you miss that.
bbaker
Journeyman

Yeah, the second video cuts off right as he got hit late, and after that, Fields was laying on the ground, still under the player, yelling at the ref asking for a call... as he gets up, he starts point to his knee saying he was already down...

I don't believe there is any kind of grand conspiracy of the referees against the Bears, but it is absolutely incredible how many hits on Fields that should have been penalties they've ignored.

I wish Eberflus would take a cue from an MLB manager and ONE TIME go after the ref's HARD when this shit happens. If he gets thrown out of a game it would be big news and bring more scrutiny on them.
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:13 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:29 pm Cam Newton used to get the same treatment. Sort of like Shaq in hoops, you had to molest him to get a whistle, casual fouls that are called on any other human just went unnoticed.
The NBA Ref conspiracies too.

So so many conspiracies.

Even Oliver Stone is tired
Enough