NFL Admits Bears Got Screwed vs. Dolphins

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Skynet was programmed by Lil Wayne. He may or may not have been inebriated at the time.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:00 am The biggest thing I would like to see changed is pass interference being a spot foul. 15 yards and a first down. Having it be a spot foul has always been ridiculous.
I am 100% with you on this.

15 yards and a first down for PI is a solid step towards consistency.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

pus wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:55 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:00 am The biggest thing I would like to see changed is pass interference being a spot foul. 15 yards and a first down. Having it be a spot foul has always been ridiculous.

The problem is that defenders will go for the PI to prevent a big play. If you have degrees of separation for roughing as is suggested, no reason you also can't for PI where only a really egregious one is a spot foul and the rest 15 yards.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Flus, of course, wouldn't go so far as to blame the refs in his presser after the game. But there were apparently a couple of whoppers last night in the MNF game; maybe that will catch the NFL's attention. One, a missed facemask, influenced the outcome. But I doubt it.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:33 pm

The problem is that defenders will go for the PI to prevent a big play. If you have degrees of separation for roughing as is suggested, no reason you also can't for PI where only a really egregious one is a spot foul and the rest 15 yards.

Lousy judgement calls are killing the game, is my thinking, so I would rather take it out of the refs hands.

I like to see the big strong receivers make a big play downfield with DBs draped all over them.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
wab
Mod

Intentionality is really hard to prove, and it adds even MORE to what the league is already asking the refs to make judgement calls on.

Spot foul assumes that the ball would have been caught 100% of the time. It's unrealistic.

It's no different than a lineman getting beat for a sack and grabbing the defender to prevent it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:09 pm

Intentionality is really hard to prove, and it adds even MORE to what the league is already asking the refs to make judgement calls on.

Spot foul assumes that the ball would have been caught 100% of the time. It's unrealistic.

It's no different than a lineman getting beat for a sack and grabbing the defender to prevent it.
Sorry been an active poster today lol....but I know it seems counterintuitive to simultaneously bitch about ref performance and ask for refs to have more control/judgement abilities - but I really do think it's the right answer. I think the ridiculous size and complexity of the rule book is causing the refs to look as bad as they do, and a dramatic simplification of the rule book alongside granting far more authority/judgement for the referees is the path to fixing this. You then need to couple this approach with a Sky Judge who has broad authority to change calls, or even CERTAIN non-calls (PI being the main one).

Despite the trolling claiming otherwise, I don't believe in conspiracies. I don't believe the NFL hates the Bears. I do believe certain teams have benefitted from penalties and other teams have been more victimized, but I really don't have an explanation behind why that is happening. But it's not made up that the Packers get all the calls and have for many years now, that is simply a true thing that we can all see for ourselves. And it's not made up that the refs blatantly blew two calls in the last two weeks against us that cost us games, and that's just us! Last night had a similar issue. This should not by shrugged off by the NFL or NFL fans.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:29 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:09 pm

Despite the trolling claiming otherwise, I don't believe in conspiracies.
But it's not made up that the Packers get all the calls and have for many years now, that is simply a true thing that we can all see for ourselves.

SO you believe in conspiracies - you just like to call things different names?

The acting like the Refs have a bias (across ALL Refs across 20+ years) is beyond tiresome ....and quite foolish

Sorry for the reality check. Anyone want to guess where the Packers rank this year (God I hope this site is accurate)(https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html)?

Whispers - Tied for 7th most penalties against in the NFL.

Stupid NFL can't even get their conspiracies straight!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:25 pm Skynet was programmed by Lil Wayne. He may or may not have been inebriated at the time.
Isn't Skynet what allow robots to take over the world in the future?

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

If they don't change it, they should change the offense PI penalty. The penalty on offense is only 10 yards, which pales in comparison to what the defense gets. I think it should include a loss of down if it's a spot foul and first down on defense.

I think I'd like to see "assisting the runner" also be a loss of down.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I don't believe that "assisting the runner" is even a foul anymore. Linemen seemingly line up to push the runner forward.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:30 pm I don't believe that "assisting the runner" is even a foul anymore. Linemen seemingly line up to push the runner forward.
I think under the rule pushing is allowed, you can't carry or pull them forward is my understanding.

Here's a piece on it that highlights the non-call in the Eagles-Texans game.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... afvxblwsyr

No conspiracy here, just poor officiating.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

How about just following the NBA for right now? Nothing is more judgmental than fouls or lack of them in the NBA. Allow a team ONE challenge a game to either address a foul called or one NOT called.

It would at least help.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Good to see a teammate calling out the non-calls on Fields especially given how quiet his coaches continue to be on the issue. It shouldn't be left to a rookie to do it though.
Frustrated Bears: ‘There should be a lot more flags’ when Justin Fields is hit

ATLANTA — Bears players were frustrated by what they thought were late hits on quarterback Justin Fields in Sunday’s 27-24 loss to the Falcons.

“The league, if that was a different quarterback, they’d be throwing … a lot of flags,” safety Jaquan Brisker said. “I feel like the league [has] gotta look at that. It’s crazy, you know, how many times he gets hit in the head, every single game, but he still gets up. Gets hit out of bounds late or near the [sideline].

“If that was Tom Brady, Jared Goff or anybody like that, they’d throw flags, immediately. Just like you seen today. They threw a flag on [a hit on Falcons quarterback Marcus] Mariota, and he tripped.”

“I feel like they gotta respect Justin some more and look at him as a quarterback,” Brisker said. “Obviously, there should be a lot more flags. He’s getting targeted every single game and none’s being thrown. ...

“Maybe because he’s strong, he’s physical. I don’t know. He’s a quarterback. I feel like he should get the same. It should be equal. Like everybody else.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... risker-nfl
dplank
Hall of Famer

Brisker is now my favorite player not named Fields. Well said kid!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Fields needs to learn that if anyone touches him out of bounds, he needs to flop big time (ala jared goff) and get those cheap 15 yards. It happened atleast once today and he ran through it and I was like NO GO DOWN YOU FOOL.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Helmet to helmet contact with a QB who's kneeling and no call? Are you fucking kidding me? This would be a roughing against a RB going for extra yardage. Sickening.

I hate that the refs are taking it out on us every game since we called them out. EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. But not calling crap like this is going to get Justin killed. I think we keep sending in plays every single week. We can't let them get away with this. And by them, I mean the refs, the league, and the gambling concerns. None of them want the refs called out. In the meantime, maybe we let Justin sit.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 am

Helmet to helmet contact with a QB who's kneeling and no call? Are you fucking kidding me? This would be a roughing against a RB going for extra yardage. Sickening.

I hate that the refs are taking it out on us every game since we called them out. EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. But not calling crap like this is going to get Justin killed. I think we keep sending in plays every single week. We can't let them get away with this. And by them, I mean the refs, the league, and the gambling concerns. None of them want the refs called out. In the meantime, maybe we let Justin sit.
We're developing quite the collection of apology letters from the league.
wab
Mod

These are the same complaints that the Panthers fans had against the NFL when they let Cam Newton get beat to death...and it very much shortened his career as an elite starter.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:26 am These are the same complaints that the Panthers fans had against the NFL when they let Cam Newton get beat to death...and it very much shortened his career as an elite starter.
It looks as though the NFL has a narrative planned for the Bears, and since JF1 is too talented to fit in that narrative, the corrupt referees are letting him get beat up time after time...

I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe things will improve when they start the actual development of the Arlington property.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
malk
Head Coach

That's an absolutely ridiculous no call. Not to bag on the defender too much but it really should be an ejection. And by that I don't mean that individual play specifically but there should be a rule that helmet to helmet on a prone player needs to have a consequence. For a little while now in rugby we've had a law where contact with the head is a straight red card (ejection) unless there is clear mitigation like the ball carrier falling into the defender. It's seen a significant increase in red cards, which isn't good, we don't want that to be the determinant of who wins, but it absolutely does change how players tackle.

But when it isn't even called an infringement, Christ, what can you do?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:45 pm

That's an absolutely ridiculous no call. Not to bag on the defender too much but it really should be an ejection. And by that I don't mean that individual play specifically but there should be a rule that helmet to helmet on a prone player needs to have a consequence. For a little while now in rugby we've had a law where contact with the head is a straight red card (ejection) unless there is clear mitigation like the ball carrier falling into the defender. It's seen a significant increase in red cards, which isn't good, we don't want that to be the determinant of who wins, but it absolutely does change how players tackle.

But when it isn't even called an infringement, Christ, what can you do?
I thought he got him more in the shoulder TBH
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

In college, that would have been an automatic ejection plus a half game suspension the following week. MINIMUM! And that would have been regardless if it had been a QB, a RB, or a WR taking the blow.

TOTAL BULLSHIT it wasn't called.
bbaker
Journeyman

I thought the worst hit that was ignored was on a sack. The first guy hit him, and Justin was on a knee (already down, and defenseless) when the second defender came in and drilled him hard. He was asking the refs about it, pointing out that he was already down on his knee when the second hit happened.

Needless to say, they didn't replay any of those late hits on the screen in the stadium, so I never got a second look at it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Cam Newton used to get the same treatment. Sort of like Shaq in hoops, you had to molest him to get a whistle, casual fouls that are called on any other human just went unnoticed.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:29 pm Cam Newton used to get the same treatment. Sort of like Shaq in hoops, you had to molest him to get a whistle, casual fouls that are called on any other human just went unnoticed.
The NBA Ref conspiracies too.

So so many conspiracies.

Even Oliver Stone is tired
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dude please stop chasing me around like a jilted school girl. It’s really enough already. Mods, please? With all respect can you please address the constant harassment? It’s really getting old and I’ve done my part to keep the peace.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:23 pm Dude please stop chasing me around like a jilted school girl. It’s really enough already. Mods, please? With all respect can you please address the constant harassment?
I assume thats the same School Girl you want to defend Matt Araiza on - Shame ! (Kind of joking?)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Another late hit

The Bears plan to submit film of Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett making contact with Fields after he slid on second-and-nine with 1:42 to play Sunday. There was no flag for a late hit.

“I think we’ve got to look at it,” Bears coach Matt Eberflus said. “I think that we’ve got to protect these quarterbacks — and that’s including our quarterback. We have to do a better job in the league; the total league has to do a good job of that. Again, these guys are special. All these quarterbacks are special. We’ve got to do a great job of protecting them when they are on the sideline and when they are in the open field.”

The Bears have been submitting one or two hits on Fields for league review every week, Eberflus said. But they were particularly perturbed with the non-call in the Falcons game.

“We’re not supposed to say anything about it, you know?” defensive lineman Justin Jones said. “But it’s tough, bro. It’s tough.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... riots-loss
"The Bears have been submitting one or two hits on Fields for league review every week"? It's ridiculous. When with the NFL act?!

At least Eberflus is speaking out now, albeit carefully. Hopefully it contributes to ramping up the pressure on the NFL and officials.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good. It’s bullshit what’s happening, and hit happened to Fields too.