Week 11 // Bears (3-7) @ Falcons (4-6)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

Looks like Noots got the score close, just the wrong teams.
Fields is getting beat up physically and psychologically. The losses have to be getting to him.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:12 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:53 pm

It's a swipe, and not at all weird — Rustin has been very clear in his criticism of JF; and while I disagree, at least he's consistent.
Yeah... consistently applying old models to a new reality, not truly understanding the uniqueness of greatness, and poking fun at other more sensible people for recognizing and factoring context into their take.
Pretty sure that greatness is leaving Atlanta on a stretcher today.
wulfy
MVP

Criminal what they did to Field’s on that last drive.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

FYI, it was not two designed runs in a row. On second down he bailed almost instantly on a pass play.
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:06 pmYet if the refs call the late / illegal hit on the defender when JF1 slid late in the 4th, we're having a different outcome.
It seemed everyone was waiting for the flag to get thrown but nope, hitting a QB who's already down is apparently fine.
Heinz D.
MVP

Designed QB run after designed QB run.

Complete insanity. Yes, Flus--yes, Getsy; you have a crazy physical specimen at the QB position. But...guess what? That doesn't mean that y'all are able to reinvent the game. Sorry to inform y'all of that...but it simply doesn't work that way.

So, you do a designed QB run, and the QB (and, arguably, the franchise?) gets hurt on it? You then turn around and call ANOTHER designed QB run?

THIS. BULLSHIT. NEEDS. TO. STOP.

NOW!!!

The best part of this nonsense? The passing game had a kind of spark it hasn't had all year. Just classic stupidity by Getsy.

Good lord...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm FYI, it was not two designed runs in a row. On second down he bailed almost instantly on a pass play.
Nope.

Blockers were out in front of him instantly. It was another designed play.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm not saying he doesnt have an NFL career ahead of him, but man Ebner offers this team absolutely nothing right now.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Getsy's pass play calling is a great mystery. JF needs to work on the passing game so he calls only 21 passes all game? He continues to call running plays late in the game when the Bears are down? C'mon already.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Heinz D.
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:14 pm Getsy's pass play calling is a great mystery. JF needs to work on the passing game so he calls only 21 passes all game? He continues to call running plays late in the game when the Bears are down? C'mon already.
It's insanity.

Might as well bring Nagy back.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:15 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:14 pm Getsy's pass play calling is a great mystery. JF needs to work on the passing game so he calls only 21 passes all game? He continues to call running plays late in the game when the Bears are down? C'mon already.
It's insanity.

Bite your tongue. Getsy seems capable of learning althiugh he's a stubborn SOB.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:06 pmYet if the refs call the late / illegal hit on the defender when JF1 slid late in the 4th, we're having a different outcome.
It seemed everyone was waiting for the flag to get thrown but nope, hitting a QB who's already down is apparently fine.
I know. I was yelling for a flag. On the replay it looked like it might have been helmet to helmet. But no need to show another angle or discuss further. Nothing to see here.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Getsy is balancing winning with teaching. All coaches and players want to win. Everyone got excited when he maximize Fields strengths.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:15 pm
It's insanity.

LOL, we're all angry right now, but let's not get too hasty here. ;)
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears had 3 timeouts and their most effective weapon is Justin running. EVERYONE has been praising the QB runs nonstop for the last 2 weeks.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank
Hall of Famer

Not his best game. I would agree Getsy needs to find better balance. I'm fully in favor of a solid run element to Fields game, but he's going too far.
spudbear
MVP

Difficult to generate a solid running attack with the jamokes they have had to assemble on the OL. Tough to get a downfield passing game when you don't have time to throw it.

Those play calls at the end of the game were almost McNagus-like: I KNOW WHAT I'M GOING TO CALL AND I'M MAKING THE CALLS.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:21 pm Bears had 3 timeouts and their most effective weapon is Justin running. EVERYONE has been praising the QB runs nonstop for the last 2 weeks.
In those games he was not injured. It was evident something was wrong late in the game today and he still ran him at the end.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:35 pm
RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:21 pm Bears had 3 timeouts and their most effective weapon is Justin running. EVERYONE has been praising the QB runs nonstop for the last 2 weeks.
In those games he was not injured. It was evident something was wrong late in the game today and he still ran him at the end.
Flus layed into Jaylon Johnson last week for playing when he was probably too injured to be effective. I guarantee you the staff asked Fields if he could still run and he said yes.

Falcons were sitting back in zone, rushing four and keeping contain for the most part. Teams are going to be doing this to him for the rest of the season because he will not, from the pocket, throw to a receiver who's anywhere near a defender. Getsy was just trying to win the game, and there's a very good chance he could have caught the falcons sleeping playing the pass on that first down run.
grendel2000
Journeyman

I really think the issue is that in a way they have no choice. Trying to run a "normal" offense with a "normal" distribution of passing plays will get Fields killed in a different way - they will sack him 50% of the time. The Bears only really have 3 choices with the abysmal Offensive line and receiving corps they have:

1. "Normal" offensive play calling - Field will be killed because the O line can't protect Fields if the other team knows he's not a running threat.
2. Heavy "normal" running game (RBs get the runs, not Fields) - we'll score almost no points and Fields won't gain experience, but he'll live.
3. What we've done the last several weeks - we'll move the ball and score points, but Fields is put at risk and still isn't learning (through mistakes) the NFL passing game.

Said differently, the QB run-heavy plans we've run the last several weeks have been fun to watch, but they're unsustainable if you want to keep Fields healthy. Flus and Getsy need to knock this crap off...
grendel2000
Journeyman

RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:44 pm
Otis Day wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:35 pm

Flus layed into Jaylon Johnson last week for playing when he was probably too injured to be effective. I guarantee you the staff asked Fields if he could still run and he said yes.

Falcons were sitting back in zone, rushing four and keeping contain for the most part. Teams are going to be doing this to him for the rest of the season because he will not, from the pocket, throw to a receiver who's anywhere near a defender. Getsy was just trying to win the game, and there's a very good chance he could have caught the falcons sleeping playing the pass on that first down run.
This is 100% the issue!

They need to stop trying to win and just commit to developing Fields for the rest of the year, assuming he's not on his way to IR with a shoulder injury. The message from here on out should be, "Justin... THROW THE DAMNED BALL. EVERY PLAY. Anticipate your receiver's routes and throw when you think they'r about to break open. I don't care how many INTs you throw THIS YEAR - they DO NOT MATTER. Get it out of your system NOW and see what you need to see so you LEARN how to avoid it NEXT YEAR."
dplank
Hall of Famer

Pass protection has been putrid all year. And we really miss Teven Jenkins IMO.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

To focus on the bright side....

For the past handful of games, including this one, JF1 has been the best player on the football field.
Heinz D.
MVP

If by everyone you mean some of the folks in the football media...then you're right.

If by "everyone" you mean all of us here...you're dead wrong.

This bullshit is NOT sustainable. And I've maintained that all along.
dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:29 pm Pass protection has been putrid all year. And we really miss Teven Jenkins IMO.
Jenkins was back today. Pass protection wasn't bad at all.

The passing game looked the best it has all year. That 32 yard strike to Montgomery was a thing of beauty. Fields motioning Kmet out along the flat, then throwing a perfect strike to the RB down the field. along the sideline. Spectacular.

But no...gotta keep runnin' Fields...'cause we're gonna reinvent the game. Or some shit...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:01 pm Jenkins was back today. Pass protection wasn't bad at all.
Jenkins was dressed but didn't play. Eberflus said at his presser after the game that Jenkins had told him that he was still hurt but could be a backup in case someone went down. Not sure what to make of that. Is that an unwillingness to play from Jenkins or an admission that he knew he would struggle (like Jaylon Johnson did last week) and him simply being honest with his coach?

Either way, Jenkins was missed. Schofield really struggled.

There's no consistency with the O-line. One minute they're giving Fields a ton of time and the next they're being overwhelmed off the snap.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

grendel2000 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 pm
RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:44 pm

This is 100% the issue!

They need to stop trying to win and just commit to developing Fields for the rest of the year, assuming he's not on his way to IR with a shoulder injury. The message from here on out should be, "Justin... THROW THE DAMNED BALL. EVERY PLAY. Anticipate your receiver's routes and throw when you think they'r about to break open. I don't care how many INTs you throw THIS YEAR - they DO NOT MATTER. Get it out of your system NOW and see what you need to see so you LEARN how to avoid it NEXT YEAR."
I guess I dont know what else you think they should do? They're building his confidence and giving him 20 passes a game. If you abandon the run game and give him 40 passes, right now we are going to get him embarassed, and our OL might get him killed.

That isnt how the NFL works! No one on that team wants to lose a precious year of their careers. If they believe the team is effectively tanking with their eye on next season and developing one guy, then they're gonna lose the locker room and some coaches might lose their jobs.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:11 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:01 pm Jenkins was back today. Pass protection wasn't bad at all.
Jenkins was dressed but didn't play. Eberflus said at his presser after the game that Jenkins had told him that he was still hurt but could be a backup in case someone went down. Not sure what to make of that. Is that an unwillingness to play from Jenkins or an admission that he knew he would struggle (like Jaylon Johnson did last week) and him simply being honest with his coach?

Either way, Jenkins was missed. Schofield really struggled.

There's no consistency with the O-line. One minute they're giving Fields a ton of time and the next they're being overwhelmed off the snap.
I thought he was out there, at the start, at least.

My apologies. My bad.

I agree about the inconsistent OL. But that doesn't mean you call that many designed runs for Fields...especially after he is clearly hurt. (And to be clear, I realize you're not advocating that, either...)
Eriebear
Journeyman

Anyone could see he was done.