Week 11 // Bears (3-7) @ Falcons (4-6)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The spread on this game was the Falcons -2.5 with an over/under of 48.5 points.

The final score was:

Bears 24
Falcons 27

If they call the hit on Fields the Bears likely score and wreck the Falcons covering.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It feels like the players and coaches are taking turns making critical mistakes. I guess that’s appropriate for the lack of experience. Tough game today but I still feel good overall about their prospects going forward
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm You got a drag car that cant corner, you dont put it in a rally competition. Fields wasn't at 100%. He wasn't injured, he was cramping.

The only way this offense can effectively move the ball is with Fields as a running threat. When he looses his wheels the offense will struggle. Its fairly simple. Until he becomes a better passer there isnt a plan B.
Agree except with your assertion that it’s only Fields that needs to improve for the passing game to improve. Pass pro is ridiculously bad, I’d start there if we want to see improvement. We also lack weapons and are in Y1 of a new offense, bears mentioning. And finally, yes Justin also needs to improve. Not mentioning those things implies it’s all his fault when it clearly is not.
UOK
Site Admin

We'll be pretty okay with these losses in a few months when the Bears are drafting an elite defensive talent or ripping off a dumbass team in a rookie QB trade.

I have thoughts about the game, I guess, but nothing new. Sanborn has earned a spot on next year's roster, easily. Cole Kmet needs to stay a Bear. The offensive line is goddamn terrible. The officiating is largely dogshit. The team has zero pass rush.
wab
Mod

As bad as the OL was yesterday, Jones was pretty good. He's super inconsistent, but I think he's going to be a good one.

Consistency really is what sums up the issue with the OL. The Bears do have weapons on offense...Claypool/Mooney/Kmet/Herbert...the offense just isn't consistent enough to use them.

The defense needs to be addressed big time.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:32 am As bad as the OL was yesterday, Jones was pretty good. He's super inconsistent, but I think he's going to be a good one.

Consistency really is what sums up the issue with the OL. The Bears do have weapons on offense...Claypool/Mooney/Kmet/Herbert...the offense just isn't consistent enough to use them.

The defense needs to be addressed big time.
I still don't quite know how they're going to utilize Kyler Gordon next season. He's been asked to do way too much, and clearly has some issues playing nickel, but he's also another DB on this defense that gets hung out to dry by no pass rush and poor officiating. I'd like to think they're going to have a more refined plan for '23 assuming the personnel is improved around them.

Jones and Watts are...fine, but I don't know if either really merits being brought back. Watts has been more useful, I guess. Gipson and Mohammed have been basically useless and are free to get overpaid elsewhere.
wab
Mod

I think Gipson is being asked to do much more now...he came into the NFL extremely raw and was only asked to run to the QB as a 3-4 edge rusher up to this point.

Like Robinson, he's still learning to play the position. But having two very raw, yet talented, starting defensive ends is a challenge. That's why I think they will go after a FA.

Gordon looks confused out there, and I don't understand why they keep shifting him inside.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:55 am I think Gipson is being asked to do much more now...he came into the NFL extremely raw and was only asked to run to the QB as a 3-4 edge rusher up to this point.

Like Robinson, he's still learning to play the position. But having two very raw, yet talented, starting defensive ends is a challenge. That's why I think they will go after a FA.

Gordon looks confused out there, and I don't understand why they keep shifting him inside.
I feel like he's coming around and adjusting to the speed of the game a bit more each week. He's a guy who probably will never develop into a shutdown corner, but he could be a noteworthy talent once he's more established and confident. Unfortunately part of the process is happening now via a year of exposure and getting thumped. And yeah I wish they'd just put him on the outside, but the DB room is so fucking bad right now that there's no sense in giving up the slot when your only remaining option is Vildor.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am We'll be pretty okay with these losses in a few months when the Bears are drafting an elite defensive talent or ripping off a dumbass team in a rookie QB trade.

I have thoughts about the game, I guess, but nothing new. Sanborn has earned a spot on next year's roster, easily. Cole Kmet needs to stay a Bear. The offensive line is goddamn terrible. The officiating is largely dogshit. The team has zero pass rush.
What I saw was that Schofield was clueless when when Atlanta would stunt. He just would stay with his guy along with Rieff and the bend behind guy would run free right up the middle. To me, that says that Jenkins would certainly fix some of that as well as the run blocking which is his strength. I didn't notice Jones, so i'm inclined to buy that he played decently. So I don't think it's quite as awful as many are making out to be.

The D-line is horrible though, that's certain.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:55 amGordon looks confused out there, and I don't understand why they keep shifting him inside.
I wish we would've just stuck Gordon on the outside and been done with it. Coaching mistake to expect so much out of Gordon. The guy was making plays on the outside when camp started. Leave him alone and let him thrive instead of getting greedy so early in the guy's career.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:58 am
wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:55 am I think Gipson is being asked to do much more now...he came into the NFL extremely raw and was only asked to run to the QB as a 3-4 edge rusher up to this point.

I feel like he's coming around and adjusting to the speed of the game a bit more each week. He's a guy who probably will never develop into a shutdown corner, but he could be a noteworthy talent once he's more established and confident. Unfortunately part of the process is happening now via a year of exposure and getting thumped. And yeah I wish they'd just put him on the outside, but the DB room is so fucking bad right now that there's no sense in giving up the slot when your only remaining option is Vildor.

I think Gordon will eventually be at least serviceable, but he's been a disappointment so far.

Vildor's been much, much better this year in this system. I'd be interested in seeing stats broken out by inside/outside for Gordon & Vildor. Not aware of any place to find that, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:27 am
UOK wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:58 am

I think Gordon will eventually be at least serviceable, but he's been a disappointment so far.

Vildor's been much, much better this year in this system. I'd be interested in seeing stats broken out by inside/outside for Gordon & Vildor. Not aware of any place to find that, though.
Vildor's still a liability. He's way better than last year, but he's not a guy I want to call on to secure games. He's not good enough.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am We'll be pretty okay with these losses in a few months when the Bears are drafting an elite defensive talent or ripping off a dumbass team in a rookie QB trade.

+1
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:05 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm You got a drag car that cant corner, you dont put it in a rally competition. Fields wasn't at 100%. He wasn't injured, he was cramping.

The only way this offense can effectively move the ball is with Fields as a running threat. When he looses his wheels the offense will struggle. Its fairly simple. Until he becomes a better passer there isnt a plan B.
Agree except with your assertion that it’s only Fields that needs to improve for the passing game to improve. Pass pro is ridiculously bad, I’d start there if we want to see improvement. We also lack weapons and are in Y1 of a new offense, bears mentioning. And finally, yes Justin also needs to improve. Not mentioning those things implies it’s all his fault when it clearly is not.
You essentially agreed with the premise. This offense needs to run. The passing game isnt efficient. The only way this offense works is with Fields running treat. This car can't corner.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea I agree with the premise. I just think you lack elements to the solution when you only discuss Fields part of it. The OL needs to improve its pass protection, and we need WRs who can separate with more regularity, and the OC needs to call more passing plays. All you mentioned was Fields needing to improve, I actually think that’s less a problem than these other things.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:42 pm Yea I agree with the premise. I just think you lack elements to the solution when you only discuss Fields part of it. The OL needs to improve its pass protection, and we need WRs who can separate with more regularity, and the OC needs to call more passing plays. All you mentioned was Fields needing to improve, I actually think that’s less a problem than these other things.
Kmet and Mooney have been there all year - Claypool doesnt hurt that either. And Montgomery is a good pass catching back - and good on Blitz pickup

Fields has been Lamar 2.0 the last 5 weeks - It's a helluva thing to watch. You can tone down the apologism on the other stuff
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:42 pm Yea I agree with the premise. I just think you lack elements to the solution when you only discuss Fields part of it. The OL needs to improve its pass protection, and we need WRs who can separate with more regularity, and the OC needs to call more passing plays. All you mentioned was Fields needing to improve, I actually think that’s less a problem than these other things.
I agree with the line. I do think Fields has had time to deliver the ball many times but hasn't. The position groups could use tweaks but they are not out right bad.

We can agree if Fields cant run this offense doesn't work. There are 2 main changes to improve the passing game. 1 is the line, 2 is Fields. I am hopeful in both improving. But the criticism is accurate.
Heinz D.
MVP

UOK wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:39 am Gipson and Mohammed have been basically useless and are free to get overpaid elsewhere.
Gipson had a pretty solid game yesterday. If you are able to, watch the game again.

And @wab was right about Jones...actually Jones did better than what @wab was implying...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm You essentially agreed with the premise. This offense needs to run. The passing game isnt efficient. The only way this offense works is with Fields running treat. This car can't corner.
I'm not sure I agree with you on all that. The passing game showed a lot of life yesterday. But...let's just say you ARE right. Then the answer to the problem is to keep losing games, but by bigger margins, while they trying to develop a better passing offense. Poles has put the team in full-on tank mode, anyway. No one should care if they win now, or not.
Middleguard
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am The spread on this game was the Falcons -2.5.
If they call the hit on Fields the Bears likely score and wreck the Falcons covering.
I see what you did there.
Years ago, Jimmy the Greek said that the easiest bet to make in sports is one against the Bears because the Bears' fans are so zealous and ignorant.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:01 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:34 am The spread on this game was the Falcons -2.5.
I see what you did there.
Years ago, Jimmy the Greek said that the easiest bet to make in sports is one against the Bears because the Bears' fans are so zealous and ignorant.
Don’t forget handsome.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:35 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm You essentially agreed with the premise. This offense needs to run. The passing game isnt efficient. The only way this offense works is with Fields running treat. This car can't corner.
I'm not sure I agree with you on all that. The passing game showed a lot of life yesterday. But...let's just say you ARE right. Then the answer to the problem is to keep losing games, but by bigger margins, while they trying to develop a better passing offense. Poles has put the team in full-on tank mode, anyway. No one should care if they win now, or not.
What do you disagree with? You think the passing game is efficient? The only way the offense works is with Fields legs? It's a fact.
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm
I agree with the line. I do think Fields has had time to deliver the ball many times but hasn't. The position groups could use tweaks but they are not out right bad.

We can agree if Fields cant run this offense doesn't work. There are 2 main changes to improve the passing game. 1 is the line, 2 is Fields. I am hopeful in both improving. But the criticism is accurate.
3 is Getsy calling more passing plays - the play calling is absolutely a factor here.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:00 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm

3 is Getsy calling more passing plays - the play calling is absolutely a factor here.
The reason the offense is doing better is because they are passing the ball less and giving Fields the opportunity to create. Getsy essentially changed the offense to maximize Fields strengths. Are you suggesting they reign back in Fields creativity? Serious question because I'm confused on your respose.
Heinz D.
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:51 pm What do you disagree with? You think the passing game is efficient? The only way the offense works is with Fields legs? It's a fact.
The passing game did have some pop to it yesterday, as I noted earlier...but that's not the point.

What I'm getting at is that if (as you say) the only way the offense functions well is if Fields is running all over the place...then it HAS to stop functioning "well".

10+ designed runs for Fields (as we saw yesterday). PLUS all of his bail-out scrambles? That's not a sustainable, pro-style offense. If Flus and Getsy truly believe that it is, then they're fooling themselves.

Fields may be done for the year. You think that's okay?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:25 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:51 pm What do you disagree with? You think the passing game is efficient? The only way the offense works is with Fields legs? It's a fact.
The passing game did have some pop to it yesterday, as I noted earlier...but that's not the point.

What I'm getting at is that if (as you say) the only way the offense functions well is if Fields is running all over the place...then it HAS to stop functioning "well".

10+ designed runs for Fields (as we saw yesterday). PLUS all of his bail-out scrambles? That's not a sustainable, pro-style offense. If Flus and Getsy truly believe that it is, then they're fooling themselves.

Fields may be done for the year. You think that's okay?
Ok so you agree the passing game isnt efficient and the offense runs with Fields legs? 150 yards isnt exactly some pop. You agree with my statement then. So the statement "I'm not sure I agree with you on all that" wasnt accurate. You do. The team knows it that's why they changed the offense.

You propose it has to stop as he got hurt and it's not sustainable. I too think that. The number 1 fix is the line. That's the most important. The second fix is Fields. I'm super hopeful an offseason matures him in the passing game. Time and experience should do him well.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

There was a passing game? I must have blinked....
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:16 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:00 pm

The reason the offense is doing better is because they are passing the ball less and giving Fields the opportunity to create. Getsy essentially changed the offense to maximize Fields strengths. Are you suggesting they reign back in Fields creativity? Serious question because I'm confused on your respose.
Getsy HAS to call more passing plays. He has to force Justin to throw the ball. Too many times Justin would hit his back foot, and then start looking around. He needs to trust the scheme and let the ball fly. Throw it to a spot where his receiver can make a play, or no one can. If he gets too comfortable running the ball, he'll just keep tucking and taking off.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:02 pm
He's a leader - it's clear. And very important.

I agree with UOK that the sting of the Ls is going to recede quickly. It didn't even really bother me on Sunday. The only things I was mad about was Getsy's sketch play calling down the stretch, and some officiating that I don't like. Again - like I've been saying all season - I GET what Getsy is doing. It is simply less risky to ask JF1 to run during crunch time - and he's delivered far more often than not to keep the chains moving... so from the perspective of "what is most likely to work right now", he's been reasonable. But then in this case with JF1 clearly hurting I thought he'd go the other way. BUT.... maybe JF1 told him it hurt to throw. We don't know.

The defense is what it is. Poles' knew what it was going to look like, and challenged a bunch of young guys. Some are stepping up! Others (Gip, DomRob) are revealing themselves to be rotational guys at this point in their career. I can see an ENTIRE new front 4 next season, with a new LB to pair with Sanborn (a starter!) and a new CB to help out back there. DL is the top focus, and then on the other side of the trench at least one new big time OT plus a new C. Then we're good to go. OK - throw in a WR draft pick just to keep them fresh.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!