Greg Gabriel's Bears Offseason Thoughts

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ho ... d9e4d33055

Much is in line with board consensus, but a couple thoughts are debatable and one likely hateable.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He’s an idiot 99% of the time but currently I agree with him:

FA=RT, DT
Draft=DE, WR

I would add CB and TE to the premium free agent group.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

It's astounding, but I agree with 99% of what Gabriel wrote. My only complaint is that he failed to mention Leatherwood, who seems like he has a future somewhere on the OL.

It wouldn't surprise me if the starting OL next season is Jones/Whitehair/Patrick/Jenkins/Leatherwood. Borom would be the swing OT, and I think they will draft a guard to eventually replace Whitehair. Carter/Kramer/Thomas are all depth IMO (who need to get bigger/stronger).

It will be interesting to see how the WR room shakes out since they only have 3 under contract next season. Will any of the one year rentals stick? If not, WR most definitely becomes a draft need.

There are so many needs on defense that I don't think it's a one offseason fix. I'm hoping they sign Dre'Mont Jones (or that Buckner becomes available) though.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 amIt's astounding, but I agree with 99% of what Gabriel wrote.
Pretty much this.

Which either means we're way off-base (especially considering Gabriel's track record over the past couple of years) or this is the market correction since Gabriel is overdue for being spot on about something.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 am It's astounding, but I agree with 99% of what Gabriel wrote. My only complaint is that he failed to mention Leatherwood, who seems like he has a future somewhere on the OL.

It wouldn't surprise me if the starting OL next season is Jones/Whitehair/Patrick/Jenkins/Leatherwood. Borom would be the swing OT, and I think they will draft a guard to eventually replace Whitehair. Carter/Kramer/Thomas are all depth IMO (who need to get bigger/stronger).

It will be interesting to see how the WR room shakes out since they only have 3 under contract next season. Will any of the one year rentals stick? If not, WR most definitely becomes a draft need.

There are so many needs on defense that I don't think it's a one offseason fix. I'm hoping they sign Dre'Mont Jones (or that Buckner becomes available) though.
My dad would always say "a blind pig will find an acorn if he stays under the tree long enough."

I think that's what Gabriel did with this piece.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 am It's astounding, but I agree with 99% of what Gabriel wrote. My only complaint is that he failed to mention Leatherwood, who seems like he has a future somewhere on the OL.

I actually like Gabriel. Never liked him particularly as a Bear scout, but he does have a lot of insight into that world. I'm also surprised he didn't mention Leatherwood.

I'm also not sure I agree with him on free agent edges. There's not a true stud out there (outside of an over the hill Watt), but there are some good guys I like. After Watt, the next three free agents in QB hits are Zach Allen, Yannick Ngakoue (seems like a natural fit), and Charles Omenihu with 13, 11, and 11, and all have 4-5 sacks. Not eyepopping, but decent.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm not just looking at sack production for DE's anymore. Our ability to stop the run with our front 7 is paramount to fielding a decent defense with this scheme. Then if you want to level up and be really good, you need to be able to pressure the QB with your front 4. Right now, I'm thinking we need to solve the first step before worrying about the second.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:39 am I'm not just looking at sack production for DE's anymore. Our ability to stop the run with our front 7 is paramount to fielding a decent defense with this scheme. Then if you want to level up and be really good, you need to be able to pressure the QB with your front 4. Right now, I'm thinking we need to solve the first step before worrying about the second.
Although I absolutely agree, the two downsides to this style of defense is that it will always be susceptible to two things: wide open WR's in the middle of the defense, and the occasional chunk runs.

But I do think the Bears need to beef up the run defense. Sanborn can't do it all.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Thinks Bears are better than their record
Thinks Patrick is the C of the future
Braxton, Teven also fixtures
Borom a fine backup
Whitehair may stay another year
Suggests a couple RTs who would cost about 15M

Expects a DE early
Likes Justin Jones, says he can play either DT spot
WR not huge need, expects a pick in R3-7

I expected more angst over leaving C alone.
While I can admit maybe Patrick is better there than at G, there's no frigging way you can sit tight and do nothing at C for another offseason, unless Patrick comes back very soon and kills it the rest of the way out.
Just another reason I love Jarrett Patterson - he could come in and immediately start at C or G.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

As it doesn't look like Borom will be the long term answer at RT, do the Bears give a shot to Jenkins? He's playing at a very high level at RG but guards are easier to replace through the draft and in FA. There are a few FA tackles the Bears can look at. One is Jack Conklin of the Browns and the other is Mike McGlinchley of the 49ers. Both are 28. Conklin's been nicked up a bit but has been very consistent when playing.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:39 am
Thinks Bears are better than their record
Thinks Patrick is the C of the future
Braxton, Teven also fixtures
Borom a fine backup
Whitehair may stay another year
Suggests a couple RTs who would cost about 15M

Expects a DE early
Likes Justin Jones, says he can play either DT spot
WR not huge need, expects a pick in R3-7

While I can admit maybe Patrick is better there than at G, there's no frigging way you can sit tight and do nothing at C for another offseason, unless Patrick comes back very soon and kills it the rest of the way out.
Just another reason I love Jarrett Patterson - he could come in and immediately start at C or G.
Well, we do have Patrick for one more year. That's the future. A short one, but the future, nonetheless. lol

But seriously, he would be a good mentor for that year. I fully expect Poles to draft a center this year. It's a really deep class. There are five regularly mentioned among the pundits: Strohmberg, Schmiz, Wypler, Patterson, and Van Prann. And I can personally testify that Oregon's Forsyth is also damn good. The offensive lineman on the Ducks. And there are others as well. Very deep class.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:39 am

Well, we do have Patrick for one more year. That's the future. A short one, but the future, nonetheless. lol

But seriously, he would be a good mentor for that year. I fully expect Poles to draft a center this year. It's a really deep class. There are five regularly mentioned among the pundits: Strohmberg, Schmiz, Wypler, Patterson, and Van Prann. And I can personally testify that Oregon's Forsyth is also damn good. The offensive lineman on the Ducks. And there are others as well. Very deep class.
I think center has to be addressed, but it can be addressed in round 3 or later getting a guy that maybe sits a year as Patrick starts.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeah, all the centers listed are expected to go between 2-5, but they're all graded very similarly.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

So Leatherwood was very successful in college playing principally LT. He gets drafted and gets played at RT and RG and fails. Indications are that he has expressed discomfort at playing "right handed" and evidently as a result of these discussions with our coaching staff, is shown as a player on the left side. While we all see Borom's need for improvement and/or the need to get younger than Rieff at RT, to presume that moving Leatherwood back to playing on the right could be successful seems purely hopeful while at the same time head scratchingly illogical.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I wonder a bit, where did that "leatherwood expressed discomfort at playing on the right side" bit originate? I've seen it parroted enough without ever seeing any attribution that i no longer believe it's true at all. I dont really believe the Bears think it's true either, since the first place they plugged him in when he got here was Right Tackle.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:45 pm I wonder a bit, where did that "leatherwood expressed discomfort at playing on the right side" bit originate? I've seen it parroted enough without ever seeing any attribution that i no longer believe it's true at all. I dont really believe the Bears think it's true either, since the first place they plugged him in when he got here was Right Tackle.
What evidence do you have for that?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

dplank
Hall of Famer

I think it all triggered from one article about him from Vegas, talking about reasons for his failure as a Raider and pointed to them putting him at positions he didn't like / struggled to play. Someone posted it here when we signed him, and it stuck as narratives tend to do.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:36 pm
RustinFields wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:45 pm I wonder a bit, where did that "leatherwood expressed discomfort at playing on the right side" bit originate? I've seen it parroted enough without ever seeing any attribution that i no longer believe it's true at all. I dont really believe the Bears think it's true either, since the first place they plugged him in when he got here was Right Tackle.
What evidence do you have for that?

Looks like they also have him currently practicing at RT:

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:32 pm

So Leatherwood was very successful in college playing principally LT. He gets drafted and gets played at RT and RG and fails. Indications are that he has expressed discomfort at playing "right handed" and evidently as a result of these discussions with our coaching staff, is shown as a player on the left side. While we all see Borom's need for improvement and/or the need to get younger than Rieff at RT, to presume that moving Leatherwood back to playing on the right could be successful seems purely hopeful while at the same time head scratchingly illogical.
Cool, so why did the Bears claim him and guarantee his salary then?

The only "indications" of discomfort was a blurb in a tweet that I can't even find anymore. Here's what he said in his combine interview though:
“Some teams like me at tackle, some at guard,” Leatherwood said. “It just all depends on what team you’re talking about and their team needs but I feel like most of them think that I can play anywhere on the offensive line.”
He played on the right for the Raiders in a pure power scheme. A scheme that is literally the opposite of what suits his skillset.

There's no way the Bears claimed him thinking he was exclusively a LT.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I don't know about "expressing discomfort" but I think he specifically said he preferred playing on the left side. Might have been more comfortable rather than preferred. But he did say "something" that seemed to indicate that was his preference and a tackle I think but don't really remember.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Braxton Jones hasn't been great but RT has been worse. I hope Leatherwood either finds a home at RT or can be Whitehair's eventual replacement at LG
Last edited by crueltyabc on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:28 pm
Mikefive wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:36 pm What evidence do you have for that?

Looks like they also have him currently practicing at RT:

Well done! I was clearly mistaken on this one.

G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:47 pm

I actually like Gabriel. Never liked him particularly as a Bear scout, but he does have a lot of insight into that world. I'm also surprised he didn't mention Leatherwood.

I'm also not sure I agree with him on free agent edges. There's not a true stud out there (outside of an over the hill Watt), but there are some good guys I like. After Watt, the next three free agents in QB hits are Zach Allen, Yannick Ngakoue (seems like a natural fit), and Charles Omenihu with 13, 11, and 11, and all have 4-5 sacks. Not eyepopping, but decent.
I do too, have talked to him a handful of times at well.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Poles called Leatherwood the 'prototype' at the position, I think they want to work him into the offense and let Chris Morgan decide where he fits best.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm Poles called Leatherwood the 'prototype' at the position, I think they want to work him into the offense and let Chris Morgan decide where he fits best.
At what position? I missed this statement
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:42 pm
G08 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm Poles called Leatherwood the 'prototype' at the position, I think they want to work him into the offense and let Chris Morgan decide where he fits best.
At what position? I missed this statement
As an offensive lineman in terms of size and movement ability.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I agree with everything Gabriel says. I can see the Bears re-negotiating Whitehair's contract and keeping him at LG for continuity. If not, see if Leatherwood can play the position on the Bears scheme and look at drafting another G while seeing if Carter can play. There are a couple of free agent right tackles who should be available. If the Bears were to be at 3 through 6 or so in the draft, that would be too high to take a RT. A home running hitting WR is a possibility but only Addison (USC) and Johnson (TCU) have played themselves into that role this year. There are a couple of good 3Ts in free agency but drafting one highly has ro be a priority if none become available. There are no free agent WRs except possibly Jarvis Landry they should look at. I'd like them to look at Gesicki, the TE from fhe Dolphins if he becomes availableqq; he doesn't vlock but would complement Kmet for pass catching.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:31 am I agree with everything Gabriel says. I can see the Bears re-negotiating Whitehair's contract and keeping him at LG for continuity. If not, see if Leatherwood can play the position on the Bears scheme and look at drafting another G while seeing if Carter can play. There are a couple of free agent right tackles who should be available. If the Bears were to be at 3 through 6 or so in the draft, that would be too high to take a RT. A home running hitting WR is a possibility but only Addison (USC) and Johnson (TCU) have played themselves into that role this year. There are a couple of good 3Ts in free agency but drafting one highly has ro be a priority if none become available. There are no free agent WRs except possibly Jarvis Landry they should look at. I'd like them to look at Gesicki, the TE from fhe Dolphins if he becomes availableqq; he doesn't vlock but would complement Kmet for pass catching.
I like Evan Engram more for that TE type
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:50 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:31 am I agree with everything Gabriel says. I can see the Bears re-negotiating Whitehair's contract and keeping him at LG for continuity. If not, see if Leatherwood can play the position on the Bears scheme and look at drafting another G while seeing if Carter can play. There are a couple of free agent right tackles who should be available. If the Bears were to be at 3 through 6 or so in the draft, that would be too high to take a RT. A home running hitting WR is a possibility but only Addison (USC) and Johnson (TCU) have played themselves into that role this year. There are a couple of good 3Ts in free agency but drafting one highly has ro be a priority if none become available. There are no free agent WRs except possibly Jarvis Landry they should look at. I'd like them to look at Gesicki, the TE from fhe Dolphins if he becomes availableqq; he doesn't vlock but would complement Kmet for pass catching.
I like Evan Engram more for that TE type
He would be a good choice also, probably come in a bit lower with the $ also.