Running Back - Saquon Barkley

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:27 pm FWIW I think Chase Brown is a 3rd round pick.
He could be - and always an Illini homer here

From NFL perspective - I worry they are taking a lot of the tread of the tires
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Witherspoon is the guy I'd like to bring in if he makes it to the 3rd
IE
Hall of Famer

Monty was pretty good today. Except for his blocking. Lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:20 pm Monty was pretty good today. Except for his blocking. Lol
Monty will get you four yards when you need two. It's rare that he will rattle off 10 yards on a regular basis. He's a hard runner that wears down defenses. He's not a one cut explosive back like Herbert. You need a Herbert in this league more than you need a Monty.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:27 am
IE wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:20 pm Monty was pretty good today. Except for his blocking. Lol
Monty will get you four yards when you need two. It's rare that he will rattle off 10 yards on a regular basis. He's a hard runner that wears down defenses. He's not a one cut explosive back like Herbert. You need a Herbert in this league more than you need a Monty.
I think it’s OK to be critical of Monty. I have been a few times.

He’s a salt of the Earth kind of a player. Yet at the same time I do not believe the offense can achieve greatness with him here.

That being said I would place the need to upgrade the OL and to find a true elite WR over replacing him.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Dan Graziano of ESPN mentions the Bears as a landing spot for him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Is this running game a good fit for Saquon's running style? Seems like we need "one cut and go" type guys, and Saquon is a juke sorta guy more like Monty (but obviously better).
cblaz11
MVP

Watching Ebner run should tell us how important Monty is. RBs like him dont grow on trees. I like the way him and Herbert compliment each other and if the price is right, I’d like him back.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 am The lesson of the last 10 years is never to pay a running back. They want too much and their careers are often too short. There's only some very rare cases where it's justified, and even then probably not worth it.
Especially for a 2nd contract. Few running backs have lived up to them. A couple seem to have drunk from the fountain of youth and are effective in those years when most slow down but those guys are few and far between.
Last edited by Grizzled on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Given the contract I think he will get, I think we are better off spending that money on Monty and investing the balance into the OL.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

In FA I would like to see us go after Kareem Hunt. I want a HB that is a real threat out of the backfield and think Barkley is going to get a massive deal for a RB. Hunt will be lower but is also not getting really heavy use so he will be "fresh" compared to gys who were RB1's at his age.

In the draft I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd on RB so I am looking at Kenny McIntosh in the 3rd or Devon Achane in the 4th-5th, or Deuce Vaughn in the 5th on. McIntosh is a good all around runner and has better hands than a few of our WRs and the other two are scatbacks that can break off chunk plays in the run and passing games. Neither of the latter are going to be able to passblock so they will be limited in their roles at times, but also can be returners.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears will have the money to re-sign Monty. He's 25 and with a rotation, should have a productive 2nd contract run. If they can't reach an agreement, running back is the one position guys seem to transition from college to pros most readily.
wab
Mod

FWIW, SporTrac has the projected contract for Monty as 4years 40mil.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 am FWIW, SporTrac has the projected contract for Monty as 4years 40mil.
Even generously assuming that was calculated in the offseason, that's embarrassing for them.

As I've wondered about them before - if you're going to rate a player as a 66, but then compare him to 4 guys with an average value of 76...what the hell is the point of even bothering to calculate values, if you're going to completely ignore them?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BigDaddy
Practice Squad

Sorry, but we need too much help elsewhere, I'm not interested in spending what it would take for barkley. We have Monty through 2023, let's worry about that position later. We need 1-2 LB, 1 premier DE, a premier DT and some O line help.. There are just too many needs on defense to start . Take a flyer on someone late in the draft if we have to but we really gotta fix this defense..
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

BigDaddy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:32 pm We have Monty through 2023
Unfortunately we don't. Monty's a free agent at the end of the season.

By the way BigDaddy, if you're looking for an avatar...

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’ve completely changed my view of Monty now that we’ve seen how he fits in Getsy’s offense. I was very much wanting him back, now I’m very much not. I like him, but his juke cut style is a poor fit for us and Herbert looks like a much better back to me. And those types should be an easy find in the draft.

We need to load up on OL and DL. Did you guys see how much time the Pats gave Mac Jones last night? It’s no surprise his best game this year came when the OL performed that way.
karhu
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:06 am As I've wondered about them before - if you're going to rate a player as a 66, but then compare him to 4 guys with an average value of 76...what the hell is the point of even bothering to calculate values, if you're going to completely ignore them?
Didn't they get their start by essentially scraping Overthecap's website? Agreed, there's always been something hinky about them, if not really scandalous.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:19 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:06 am As I've wondered about them before - if you're going to rate a player as a 66, but then compare him to 4 guys with an average value of 76...what the hell is the point of even bothering to calculate values, if you're going to completely ignore them?
Didn't they get their start by essentially scraping Overthecap's website? Agreed, there's always been something hinky about them, if not really scandalous.
I know that the Over the Cap guys claim they scrape the site. Spotrac does all the major sports, so it seems plausible. They're presumably scraping/aggregating a lot of data and obviously good at that, but doesn't mean they can analyze it well.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Monty is going to be interesting for a few reasons. I really think he is good in the passing game (both in terms of pickup protection and as a passing outlet - including routes that most HB can't do)

And if we get to 4 for 40 - obviously I'm out

But if its more like 6-7 a year where its basically the first 2 years mostly guaranteed and you can walk away after that for nothing.

Would I spend that to not have to spend a 3rd or 4th on a HB?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:39 am Monty is going to be interesting for a few reasons. I really think he is good in the passing game (both in terms of pickup protection and as a passing outlet - including routes that most HB can't do)

And if we get to 4 for 40 - obviously I'm out

But if its more like 6-7 a year where its basically the first 2 years mostly guaranteed
I might give him half that, with 1-2M total guaranteed
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Sugashane wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:05 pm In FA I would like to see us go after Kareem Hunt. I want a HB that is a real threat out of the backfield and think Barkley is going to get a massive deal for a RB. Hunt will be lower but is also not getting really heavy use so he will be "fresh" compared to gys who were RB1's at his age.

In the draft I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd on RB so I am looking at Kenny McIntosh in the 3rd or Devon Achane in the 4th-5th, or Deuce Vaughn in the 5th on. McIntosh is a good all around runner and has better hands than a few of our WRs and the other two are scatbacks that can break off chunk plays in the run and passing games. Neither of the latter are going to be able to passblock so they will be limited in their roles at times, but also can be returners.
If we go away from Monty (who I think might give us the best value), I'd like to see Josh Jacobs in a Bears' uniform. It would be somewhat of an irony given our 1st round pick the year he was drafted was used on him. I don't think the Rayders used the 5th round year option on him, so I'd doubt they'd tag him.

I'd assume his contract would fall between Barkley's and Monty's.

Added bonus he's on my roster in the Monster's of the Midway League.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Jacobs must be playing himself into a deal, maybe with Raiders.

Either way I feel like some solid back is likely to be available for peanuts. I don't think you need a star back next yo Herbert next year, but you definitely want a rotation there.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d take Saquon for 10M a year. I’d take Monty for 7M a year.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:24 pm I’d take Saquon for 10M a year. I’d take Monty for 7M a year.
When you put it like that - it does make me re-evaluate my Monty position

He shouldn't be within sniffing distance of a Saquon contract
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:46 am
Sugashane wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:05 pm In FA I would like to see us go after Kareem Hunt. I want a HB that is a real threat out of the backfield and think Barkley is going to get a massive deal for a RB. Hunt will be lower but is also not getting really heavy use so he will be "fresh" compared to gys who were RB1's at his age.

If we go away from Monty (who I think might give us the best value), I'd like to see Josh Jacobs in a Bears' uniform. It would be somewhat of an irony given our 1st round pick the year he was drafted was used on him. I don't think the Rayders used the 5th round year option on him, so I'd doubt they'd tag him.

I wouldn't mind paying Jacobs at all. I think he has been really held back by the OL the Raiders had, now that they have Adams to take some pressure off of him he has been good for the season. His last game was ridiculous. What really sets it for me is how good he is as a receiver. Fields needs to be able to have some easy dump offs for 5+ yards. I'd actually prefer him to Hunt.

Speaking of Hunt, he looked WAY slower than I remember vs TB last week. Maybe it is a nagging injury but he didn't look like the same guy I saw earlier in the year. I was hoping his limited use would mean fresh legs but maybe Father Time took an interest in him?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:46 am

He was a guy I was thinking about also. The Raiders didn't sign him to a 5th year and they're not tagging him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like Monty A LOT. But not particularly in this offense. As I have been saying from the word "GO", in a zone blocking run scheme Herbert has elite abilities. Those are being able to read your blockers and see the hole before it opens, plant your foot and get north and south just as it does. That's not Monty. That being said, at 25 years old and a quality veteran in the locker room, I'd bring Monty back for 3 years/$20M and about $9M guaranteed. Essentially a two year deal.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

I am most likely in the minority but, I am not interested in FA RBs at all. Keep Monty only if he is cost effective and a team friendly deal. Herbert is the new starter for this next Season and Evans looked good and may come cheaper. RBs can be gotten in leaer rounds and even UDFA ranks. Paying RBs has been proven to be money wasted. Look at Zeke in Dallas or even Christian McCaffry. Chris is very good, but he hog tied the Panthers Salary cap to keep. I say go with Herbert as number one and find or re-sign Monty or Evens and look to the next draft for a complimentary back on a rookie deal.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 am I am most likely in the minority but, I am not interested in FA RBs at all. Keep Monty only if he is cost effective and a team friendly deal. Herbert is the new starter for this next Season and Evans looked good and may come cheaper. RBs can be gotten in leaer rounds and even UDFA ranks. Paying RBs has been proven to be money wasted. Look at Zeke in Dallas or even Christian McCaffry. Chris is very good, but he hog tied the Panthers Salary cap to keep. I say go with Herbert as number one and find or re-sign Monty or Evens and look to the next draft for a complimentary back on a rookie deal.
Where's your walk away point on a Monty contract?