Justin Fields - Separated Left Shoulder - Now What?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m oddly excited to see Simeon play, I think he might be ok and will certainly look to pass more
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah... sit him until week 15 and see if he's 100%. The more I think about it the more I'm concluding just IR him at this point unless it is truly a minor thing with that shoulder (hard to tell - but as a guy with a bad shoulder the way he was talking about pain is 'not good".

What good will it be to play him in any of those last games with that Oline. It was necessary for him to play this year to evaluate and develop him, and get a good grasp of team needs especially on the Oline. We knew it was an evaluation year in several spots. But now I wouldn't mind pulling the plug on '22 for JF1. Now that they know what they have, what works & what they need... I expect him to come back in '23 and preside over a '22 Eagles-like season next year. He's a 2-4 TD per game player and oh boy will '23 be great!

I'm really comfortable with Siemian. He is pretty good in this system, and has developed into a nice, confident and capable backup. I wouldn't be surprised if he played reasonably well. He'll get rid of the ball quickly of course. So fewer sacks but also far less of a threat to the D. When it comes to NFL football the ends justify the means... 30 points a game is just better than 16-20.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I’m looking forward to Siemian having a couple good games and then getting into the argument / debate about who should be the starter going forward. ;)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I think having him watch Siemian manage the passing game could potentially make some lights come on for him. Everyone in tape reviews keeps saying he just needs to let it loose and he's hesitant to do so. But seeing Siemian have some success doing it could change the way he thinks about it. Let him watch Siemian until the bye and heal up, then if he's OK, turn him loose again to put what he's seen into practice in meaningless games. That sounds perfect to me.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:15 pm I’m looking forward to Siemian having a couple good games and then getting into the argument / debate about who should be the starter going forward. ;)
It's coming.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Personally I would be cautious with Fields. The line isnt great. I could easily see him coming back to early and playing hesitant. Hesitant playing makes for a higher likelihood of injury.

While I want the reps and continued growth, I dont want something catastrophic in a meaningless season.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:47 am Yeah... sit him until week 15 and see if he's 100%. The more I think about it the more I'm concluding just IR him at this point unless it is truly a minor thing with that shoulder (hard to tell - but as a guy with a bad shoulder the way he was talking about pain is 'not good".

What good will it be to play him in any of those last games with that Oline. It was necessary for him to play this year to evaluate and develop him, and get a good grasp of team needs especially on the Oline. We knew it was an evaluation year in several spots. But now I wouldn't mind pulling the plug on '22 for JF1. Now that they know what they have, what works & what they need... I expect him to come back in '23 and preside over a '22 Eagles-like season next year. He's a 2-4 TD per game player and oh boy will '23 be great!

I'm really comfortable with Siemian. He is pretty good in this system, and has developed into a nice, confident and capable backup. I wouldn't be surprised if he played reasonably well. He'll get rid of the ball quickly of course. So fewer sacks but also far less of a threat to the D. When it comes to NFL football the ends justify the means... 30 points a game is just better than 16-20.
I think it's going to be hard to sit Justin for the rest of this season if he gets really healed in time to play. If he gets the shoulder back to 100% before week 18 - I don' see him sitting out then.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:47 am Yeah... sit him until week 15 and see if he's 100%. The more I think about it the more I'm concluding just IR him at this point unless it is truly a minor thing with that shoulder (hard to tell - but as a guy with a bad shoulder the way he was talking about pain is 'not good".

The only good is giving him more snaps to learn and grow. I'd also throw this out there, the trade for Claypool. One of the perks of making the trade when we did is it would let the two of them work together in game situations. So giving them more time together on the field would be a plus as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:19 pm I think having him watch Siemian manage the passing game could potentially make some lights come on for him. Everyone in tape reviews keeps saying he just needs to let it loose and he's hesitant to do so. But seeing Siemian have some success doing it could change the way he thinks about it. Let him watch Siemian until the bye and heal up, then if he's OK, turn him loose again to put what he's seen into practice in meaningless games. That sounds perfect to me.
Brees said one of the best things to happen to him was getting benched and watching another QB run the offense. Gave him a different perspective.

Not saying Fields "needs" that, but it couldn't hurt for him to do mental reps and see Siemian potentially do something different and have success.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
otis
Pro Bowler

i think siemien will take all those sacks that fields avoids with his legs. ir fields for 4 weeks or sit him until after the bye for sure. play the rookie olineman, leatherwood, dieter, whomever else. claypool learns the playbook. i think we will decide we can do better than montgamery. his complete stop and lungs for twoyards is not good. call it sa season and hope all the other 3 and 8 teams win one more game so we can pick number at number two. then start drafting olinemen.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Jets defense is no joke so risking Fields to play in a meaningless game against them would be stupid ... Bears need to be smart enough to look at the big picture, which includes the future, and act accordingly and responsibly
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Burl
Crafty Veteran

If he needs to sit a week or two I get it, but no way do you just shut the guy down for the year.

Look, when next year starts, he's going to start running the ball again, and will probably also get dinged up then, too.

Dude needs to lead some drives with his arm instead of his legs, because at some point, it's going to be a high ankle or a hammy instead of a shoulder. We can't just shut the team down when the QB gets a little dinged up.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:15 pm I’m looking forward to Siemian having a couple good games and then getting into the argument / debate about who should be the starter going forward. ;)
I’m looking forward to timing how long he holds onto the ball :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:23 pm
Me too!

Dibs on his feet work!
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 am I’m oddly excited to see Simeon play, I think he might be ok and will certainly look to pass more
I expect the opposite. I think the whole thing collapses and people realize "holy shit" Fields was making chicken soup out of chicken shit. The O line will get exposed and scoring will drop again dramatically. JMO
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:08 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 am I’m oddly excited to see Simeon play, I think he might be ok and will certainly look to pass more
I expect the opposite. I think the whole thing collapses and people realize "holy shit" Fields was making chicken soup out of chicken shit. The O line will get exposed and scoring will drop again dramatically. JMO
Now this is an interesting diversity of expectation and I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:08 pm
Cosigned.

I think the first series will see a nice script. And then I think that'll be pretty much it for the Bears offense, at least until garbage time stats.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:40 pm
Mikefive wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:19 pm I think having him watch Siemian manage the passing game could potentially make some lights come on for him. Everyone in tape reviews keeps saying he just needs to let it loose and he's hesitant to do so. But seeing Siemian have some success doing it could change the way he thinks about it. Let him watch Siemian until the bye and heal up, then if he's OK, turn him loose again to put what he's seen into practice in meaningless games. That sounds perfect to me.
Brees said one of the best things to happen to him was getting benched and watching another QB run the offense. Gave him a different perspective.

Not saying Fields "needs" that, but it couldn't hurt for him to do mental reps and see Siemian potentially do something different and have success.
Like when Mitch got benched for Foles and that other dumbass McNagy disciple right?
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:32 pm

Like when Mitch got benched for Foles and that other dumbass McNagy disciple right?

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Fucking. Idiots.

viewtopic.php?p=316379#p316379

I knew this retarded franchise could be expected to do the usual wrong thing.

:angry: :frustrated: :puke: :censor: :guns: :thumbdown:

:bs:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Maybe they start him, let him hand off to Monty and then bench him.

Just do that every game until he is 100% just so they keep his starting streak intact.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:48 pm Fields is a tough SOB and will want to play, so the coaches need to take it out of his hands.

You don’t want him to hurt something else by compensating for the injury, the NFL officials have shown they will do nothing to protect Fields when he takes shots they throw flags on for every other QB, and he’s played extremely well and clearly become more confident.

No sense in risking it and jeopardizing that.
Absolutely the right take
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:32 pm

Cmon. Who would really call for the Bears to have played Chase Daniel

No one is that foolish right?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I feel like you've posted this on very different types of message boards as well
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:09 pm

I feel like you've posted this on very different types of message boards as well
Nope this is my only NFL based message board.
I post on a cricket board and (rarely these days) a ‘soccer’ one. Nice to hear someone else agrees. Great minds think alike, however, fools seldom differ :thumbsup:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

How can his shoulder be hurt?

We had a Mic Drop on his efforts being sustainable folks.

A Mic Drop.

Doctors are just a conspiracy
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:17 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Feel like we aren't disagreeing;)

Lean into the double entendre joke sir!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:19 pm How can his shoulder be hurt?
Carrying this f-kn offense for a season and a half would hurt anyone’s shoulder. :-P

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:20 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Feel like we aren't disagreeing;)

Lean into the double entendre joke sir!
:puke:

:rimshot: :rofl: