Justin Fields - Separated Left Shoulder - Now What?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky separated his left shoulder in 2019 and missed two weeks. Came back with a brace on it and said it negatively impacted his throwing mechanics.

So, what is the correct move here?

If it's me, I sit Justin this week (Jets) and next week (Packers). That leads us into week 14 which is the bye.

After that, we have 4 games left (Eagles, Bills, @Lions, Vikings). If we bring him back for that final stretch, he ostensibly would have 27 days between games.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

That seems the sensible approach. Make a determination after the bye week as to whether it's worth playing him in the final 4 games.

Fields has shown enough in the last few games for Poles to set aside any thoughts of needing to draft a first round QB in the spring. The focus needs to be on ensuring Fields health now over evaluating him. There's certainly no doubting his toughness.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Sit him until the bye week and play it by ear afterwards.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:15 pm Trubisky separated his left shoulder in 2019 and missed two weeks. Came back with a brace on it and said it negatively impacted his throwing mechanics.

If it's me, I sit Justin this week (Jets) and next week (Packers). That leads us into week 14 which is the bye.

After that, we have 4 games left (Eagles, Bills, @Lions, Vikings). If we bring him back for that final stretch, he ostensibly would have 27 days between games.
I'd sit him that long, absolute minimum, and see how he feels. If necessary, scratch any of the remainders and don't give it a second thought.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Heinz D.
MVP

If they're incapable of coming up with a game plan that doesn't require Fields to run 20 times a game, then fire the lot of them and bring in some other bonafide, knowledgeable, NFL coaches, and sit Fields for the rest of the year.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:38 pm If they're incapable of coming up with a game plan that doesn't require Fields to run 20 times a game, then fire the lot of them and bring in some other bonafide, knowledgeable, NFL coaches, and sit Fields for the rest of the year.
I'd have to think the running QB scheme goes by the wayside with Siemian playing. Might be good for the kid to "sit and watch" and if he comes back the final four weeks, keep that approach and see how he does.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:40 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:38 pm If they're incapable of coming up with a game plan that doesn't require Fields to run 20 times a game, then fire the lot of them and bring in some other bonafide, knowledgeable, NFL coaches, and sit Fields for the rest of the year.
I'd have to think the running QB scheme goes by the wayside with Siemian playing. Might be good for the kid to "sit and watch" and if he comes back the final four weeks, keep that approach and see how he does.
Assuming Siemian is at least adequate, I think having a more experienced, 'conventional' QB back there for a few weeks will be great.

It ought to be a help in identifying which parts of the passing offense are more to blame for the dysfunction.

Middleguard
MVP

Separations and dislocations are not exactly the same things.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Sit him. We're not playing for anything and no need to risk longer term injury
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:54 pm

Assuming Siemian is at least adequate, I think having a more experienced, 'conventional' QB back there for a few weeks will be great.

It ought to be a help in identifying which parts of the passing offense are more to blame for the dysfunction.
This is my thinking as well.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Fields is a tough SOB and will want to play, so the coaches need to take it out of his hands.

You don’t want him to hurt something else by compensating for the injury, the NFL officials have shown they will do nothing to protect Fields when he takes shots they throw flags on for every other QB, and he’s played extremely well and clearly become more confident.

No sense in risking it and jeopardizing that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not surprised. Dude has taken a beating all season, something was bound to happen. Sit him for a month. Let Getsy get the playbook aligned with Siemian, who is very capable, and see what happens. Get that same playbook if and when Fields returns. I think we will see what the OL is made of . Siemian has a quick release and who knows what he may do.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Zero point risking his health IMO, we know he’s our QB for the future.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:54 pm Zero point risking his health IMO, we know he’s our QB for the future.
I concur.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Who is backup if Fields is out?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:19 pm Who is backup if Fields is out?
Trevor Siemian
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:54 pm

This will be a very interesting stretch with Siemian playing. He could do a better job of finding the open guys and getting the ball out of his hand quickly--a seriously helpful lesson for Fields to watch and observe. OTOH, removing the QB run game (I assume) puts even more pressure on the OL to protect under more difficult circumstances. Siemien could get killed by the Jets DL. Not a good combo to have Herbert be out also.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
bbaker
Journeyman

I think I disagree with shutting Fields down any longer than necessary. I don't consider these games pointless. He NEEDS the reps. He needs experience throwing passes in the NFL. Do I want him taking this kind of punishment? Of course not. It's the reason I was so pissed after the draft when Poles ignored the OL until the 5th round.

On the other hand, many of the hits are because he is choosing it. He needs to learn to avoid contact better. He only gets that with experience.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He needs to smash seven shades of shit out of Green Bay.

Then he can sit :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

karhu
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:07 am He needs to smash seven shades of shit out of Green Bay.

Then he can sit :thumbsup:
I'd be all right with the Northwestern guy showing up Rodgers. "We just beat the shit out of you with our Jordan Love, motherfuckers!"
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

JF1 absolutely has to sit out this game.

Let's not pull a Dusty Baker with this guy.
malk
Head Coach

A difficult one for me. Fields definitely needs more reps so I wouldn't want them to be over cautious and immediately shut him down for the season. Shoulder separations have a pretty big range of severity but if it's on the lower end then I can see him coming back perfectly fine after the bye.

Then again, they are really painful and if it's messing around with his mechanics then reps with overcompensation aren't really worth much.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:29 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:19 pm Who is backup if Fields is out?
Trevor Siemian
Nathan Peterman will get elevated a couple times or rostered to be the temp backup.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Fields is obviously injured late in the Falcons game. But Getsy not only does not acknowledge this in a meaningless game, rather than protecting the Bears' most important player, he does not pull him and calls plays which beat him up more. Then Flus and the trainer blow it by not going over Getsy's head and pulling Fields. Total negligence from the 2 coaches and the trainer. Poles needs to chew them out royally. Rest him through the bye and reassess his status afterwards. Don't play him if he needs a harness to stabilize the shoulder after the bye. Hopefully he doesn't need surgery. I've had several shoulder surgeries; they're painful and take lots of rehab.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:15 pm Trubisky separated his left shoulder in 2019 and missed two weeks. Came back with a brace on it and said it negatively impacted his throwing mechanics.

agreed.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

It's a tough call for me. As a team we are going nowhere, so I see the rational in sitting him so that it doesn't get worse. But the only way he gets better as a passer is to pass the ball. Typical Catch 22 situation that we always end up in.

I don't know enough about the injury. I'd assume that until it is "completely healed" he is at a greater risk of having a worse injury than someone not playing with that type of injury. If so don't but him under center until it has healed to such a point that that is no longer a factor.
UOK
Site Admin

Kylo Bearen wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:34 pm Sit him until the bye week and play it by ear afterwards.
This right here.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 am

It's a tough call for me. As a team we are going nowhere, so I see the rational in sitting him so that it doesn't get worse. But the only way he gets better as a passer is to pass the ball. Typical Catch 22 situation that we always end up in.

I don't know enough about the injury. I'd assume that until it is "completely healed" he is at a greater risk of having a worse injury than someone not playing with that type of injury. If so don't but him under center until it has healed to such a point that that is no longer a factor.
Justin isn't doing much passing this year regardless if he plays or not. That's not this unit strengths... it's running which is what Agent Uno has been doing since the O found its mojo. No point putting him in to do more of what he's already good at. Let him heal and be ready next season when he has a better offensive line and competent receivers to throw to. Then Fields will be able to work on his passing.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Kylo Bearen wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:35 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 am

Justin isn't doing much passing this year regardless if he plays or not. That's not this unit strengths... it's running which is what Agent Uno has been doing since the O found its mojo. No point putting him in to do more of what he's already good at. Let him heal and be ready next season when he has a better offensive line and competent receivers to throw to. Then Fields will be able to work on his passing.
I agree he's not doing much passing. But on the limited passing downs he does get, it lets him do pre and post snap reads on the defense; hopefully run through his progressions (if he has time); and make decisions. I'd like to see him "get comfortable with" / "learn" what "open" in the NFL means and be willing to trust his arm more. Heck, even if it's just a couple of games, it could help him be in a better position next year. But there has to be ZERO added risk due to his shoulder situation before he is on the field.