Justin Fields - Separated Left Shoulder - Now What?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Split the baby - regardless of injury - sit him til after the Bye at least - That's just the smart course of action
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:34 am Healthy is one thing. If fine, of course he needs reps.

However, just "can't hurt it worse" isn't sufficient. If it's badly hurting and hampering and affecting his mechanics, execution, and decision making, then bad reps are worse than no reps. (IE, "practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent"
Sure. I was assuming if the injury didn't increase the risk of worsening it more, then those other things wouldn't be a factor. Clearly if his risk of injury isn't increase but it doesn't allow him to play at the level he needs to, you don't trot him out there.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am Split the baby - regardless of injury - sit him til after the Bye at least - That's just the smart course of action
But why? If the shoulder isn't bother him and there is no increased risk of further injury, why would you sit him just to sit him?

Now it may very well be the smart course of action, but it will be because there are reasons he shouldn't play.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I know people legitimately think that running the QB 15 times a game is somehow no more damaging than having them in the Pocket 30 snaps (People are wrong - but they do think this)

But Fields has proven his running can change A game. I do not think it can change 17 + playoffs.

Besides him not holding up, it makes you too one dimensional - but I guess my thought is you want to be able to save it for when you NEED it.

If you need it every game - thats a problem
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:34 am Healthy is one thing. If fine, of course he needs reps.

However, just "can't hurt it worse" isn't sufficient. If it's badly hurting and hampering and affecting his mechanics, execution, and decision making, then bad reps are worse than no reps. (IE, "practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent"
Eh, if it can't be hurt worse it becomes a pain management thing.

Badly hurting to the point it's having an effect on his mechanics and execution, then he's still hurt and should sit until it becomes a pain management thing.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:41 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am Split the baby - regardless of injury - sit him til after the Bye at least - That's just the smart course of action
But why? If the shoulder isn't bother him and there is no increased risk of further injury, why would you sit him just to sit him?

Now it may very well be the smart course of action, but it will be because there are reasons he shouldn't play.
I can't imagine it wouldn't bother him in some degree- Any time you are talking about an injury that can't get worse BUT is a "pain tolerance" issue - It will bother you to some extent.

I also think there is value in him watching from the sideline for a few weeks (And its better to be able to do it do to injury rather than sucking)
wab
Mod

I do lean more towards him sitting until after the bye, but I think he'll play Sunday.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:41 am

I can't imagine it wouldn't bother him in some degree- Any time you are talking about an injury that can't get worse BUT is a "pain tolerance" issue - It will bother you to some extent.

I also think there is value in him watching from the sideline for a few weeks (And its better to be able to do it do to injury rather than sucking)
So if the injury is bother him to such a degree it effects his play - sit him.

At this point in the season, everyone is dealing with aches and pains, so sitting for that reason doesn't seem sound. In fact, it is something he will have to have his game become accustom too. He's gone for 12 games a year to 17 and taking bigger hits from stronger faster guys.

Are you really Matt Nagy??? :evilgrin: :evilgrin: Watching for the sake of watching??? Plus after seeing what Seimian did after the first quarter (and heck maybe even the first quarter as half his yards were on 2 check down passes to RBs), I don't know if I think Fields watching THAT will help him very much. Maybe there are some "well, don't do that moments" but I see a ton more value to his improvement by him being on the field.

(On a side, when talking about the football field, does anyone else find themselves typing it with an "F?" I think when I'm here and in "Bears mode" my brain defaults to doing that because of Justin> :D :sick: )
dplank
Hall of Famer

There's a difference between sitting as a rookie vs sitting now after having played a bunch of games. It's far more valuable now IMO, as he can see a delta between how he plays it vs someone else. He won't have that baked in thought of "well, that's andy effing dalton, when I'M out there I"ll just do X, Y, Z and be better". Now he knows much much more and will see these deltas in a different light. I would absolutely sit him this week.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If there’s any question at all about JF1’s health then he sits.

This isn’t a playoff game even though it is against the Packers.

Have him babysit the Surface tablet and install the Windows update or play some Freecell in between studying plays.
wab
Mod

Bears just activated Tim Boyle... so it's not looking great

thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm Bears just activated Tim Boyle... so it's not looking great

Maybe they just discovered that Nathan Peterman sucks?
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm Bears just activated Tim Boyle... so it's not looking great

Did Siemian get further injured? Or Peterman? Bizarre time to sign a QB for any other reason.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Supposedly Fields and Peterman are splitting first team reps. You don't dont do that and sign another active roster QB if there's a greater than 50% chance Fields is good to go.

But does point to a decent chance of Fields returning post bye week or the week after.
wab
Mod

God help us if Peterman starts.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, this all spells "Siemian's oblique is doing really poorly"

Prepare for

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

In a totally unrelated note - my fear of the Bears accidentally winning this one has been greatly alleviated.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Justin's injury is a partial tear. I dont think there's a magical "no further risk of injury" situation.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Fields wants to beat the Pack and I’m with him 100% on that
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm Fields wants to beat the Pack and I’m with him 100% on that
Me, too!! Starting next year and for the next decade that is. Sorry DD, but losing out this season is far more important than winning 1 meaningless game.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:19 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm Fields wants to beat the Pack and I’m with him 100% on that
Me, too!! Starting next year and for the next decade that is. Sorry DD, but losing out this season is far more important than winning 1 meaningless game.
Agree to disagree :thumbsup:

Pack game at SF is never meaningless to me

wab
Mod

It’s meaningless when the Bears are starting Nathan Peterman.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears QB shuffle: Justin Fields limited, Trevor Siemian sits out practice

Ten days after he separated his left shoulder and suffered partial ligament damage, Fields did Wednesday what he did all last week: practiced in a limited manner. He started from a better place than he did a week ago, though — he’s in less pain and has more strength in his shoulder.

In the portion of practice open to the media Wednesday, Fields handed off with his left hand and appeared comfortable while throwing. He even participated in a drill in which teammates tried to punch the ball out of the crook of his left arm.

Those activities keep the door open, at least, for him to start Sunday against the rival Packers.

Fields said he’s “just feeling better each and every day,” but, in stark contrast to rival Aaron Rodgers, made no grand declaration that he’d start Sunday.

“If I feel like I can help my team win, help my team score, score points and put points on the board, then I’m going to go out there and play,” Fields said.

Eberflus continued to describe Fields as “day-to-day,” saying he’d play if he meets the team’s three requirements: for the quarterback to feel strong and mobile, for the medical staff to clear him for a game and for Eberflus and general manager Ryan Poles to sign off. Fields cleared none of those hurdles last week. Still, he claimed he didn’t know until Sunday that he wouldn’t play; he said he “just didn’t feel comfortable” during warmups. The only warmups he did on the MetLife Stadium field before the game, though, were very light.

Fields said a lot of his optimism for this week would depend on how he felt during practice.

“He looked good — I’ll keep it at that,” tight end Cole Kmet said with a smile after Wednesday’s session.

Receiver Chase Claypool has noticed a “type of resilience that you don’t get from every quarterback” in Fields.

“He is getting beat up and he’s bouncing back on his feet every single time,” he said. “I think that just shows the kind of leader he is, because he wants to see his team win and do well. He’s a big part of that. But he also knows he has to be smart. There’s a give and take with that.”

Whenever he does return, the Bears know they have to keep Fields safe — even if that means calling fewer runs for him.

“I’ve said that for weeks since he’s started to come on — we’ve always got to be protective of the quarterback,” Eberflus said. “We got to keep him safe. He’s got to keep himself out of harm’s way. The situation this week is no different.

“Certainly, we look at all that every single week. That’s our quarterback — we want to make sure he’s safe.”

Both Eberflus and Fields denied that the Bears’ upcoming bye would play a role in whether the quarterback returns this week. If he were to sit against the Packers, Fields would have three open Sundays between his injury and a potential return Dec. 18 against the Eagles.

Fields said that it was “not that difficult” to weigh what was in his best interest.

“I have a lot of people that are giving me good advice – the trainers, the coaches, people at home. …” he said. “It makes my decision easier looking at the long term.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... n-peterman
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears don't even have a RT. It would be foolish to the max to start Fields.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:45 pm The Bears don't even have a RT. It would be foolish to the max to start Fields.
They haven't had a C for the last few years either but it hasn't stopped them.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:55 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:45 pm The Bears don't even have a RT. It would be foolish to the max to start Fields.
They haven't had a C for the last few years either but it hasn't stopped them.
+1. But Mustipher at least has been playing rhe position all year. Leatherwood nor Jenkins nor Scofield has played RT with these guys (although Scofield got in a few snaps last game).
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Fields practiced without limitation on Thursday. If he was in pain or did have limitations, he didn't show it. This kid is a gamer and wants to win. I don't want him to play for the sake of risking further injury. But God dammit you have to love his competitiveness and drive to beat the Pukers and win ball games. LOVE his "want to."
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:36 am Fields practiced without limitation on Thursday. If he was in pain or did have limitations, he didn't show it. This kid is a gamer and wants to win. I don't want him to play for the sake of risking further injury. But God dammit you have to love his competitiveness and drive to beat the Pukers and win ball games. LOVE his "want to."
Justin wants to beat the Packers and I’m with him 100% on that.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If the doctors say he is healthy he should play.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'd love to see Justin Fields and a shitty Bears team take down the Packers this Sunday.

Drive the knife into Aaron Rodgers, baby!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"