Justin Fields - Separated Left Shoulder - Now What?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

WagonForce
MVP

Wow, the coaches are letting Fields decide? That just sounds strange. Does that mean if JF1, a young, hyper-competitive athlete, is inclined to take additional risk with his health to try and help his team, the coaches (and management?) are just going to say ‘we made it his call’?

I mean, if he’s healthy then by all means, start him. As a fan I’d much rather watch Fields than not. But if he’s not healthy…let’s be real, the Bears are 3-8, ugh.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

My WAG is some unknown medical advisor will quietly weigh in and help with the decision.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's probably just the usual gamesmanship by a team to keep their opponent guessing which player they'll be facing. We all know it happens all the time. I'd be very surprised if they take any risks with Fields, especially with a bye coming up in two weeks. There's nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Grizzled wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 am
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:24 pm None of this explains the apparent lack of leg burst we saw throughout the game. The shoulder happened right at the end, but he looked a bit off all game IMO.
It's not uncommon for pro athletes to hit a brick wall during a season, especially if they've seen a lot of action. Seems to be common in pro basketball with rookies. They play 30 to 35 games in a college season and some just flame out in their first and longer pro season. The Bears should announce today if JF 's playing. I think besides the shoulder he just needs some rest to let his whole body heal and get some energy back.
Fields said immediately after the game that his hamstring issues were caused by cramping due to not keeping himself properly hydrated. He said he sweated more playing indoors and had an IV after the game. He didn't seem concerned about his legs at all.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:50 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:45 pm https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-qb-justi ... -wednesday

:angry: :angry: :angry:

No, they don't, or they'd take responsibility for the decision themselves (even if they actually let him decide).

Now Fields either has to play hurt, when he shouldn't
Or look like a wuss, with his coach hanging him out to dry

This is being handled so poorly.
It's like the Bears of old.
This has shaken me. Why are the inmates running the asylum? This is the first time I've had to seriously question whether the coaching staff is really up to the job.
I'm hoping that Fields is actually misrepresenting their position on this matter.
I'm right there with you. However maybe.... that conversation was a touch different. Maybe there was some context missing, and I'm sure the coaches didnt think he would say that to the media. (If they did they are dumb)

Fields " will I be able to play"

Coach "well that will be up to you. How you respond and progress. Doc says it's not prone to become worse. So it's on you and how you respond."

Fields "okay it's on me"
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:42 pm It's probably just the usual gamesmanship by a team to keep their opponent guessing which player they'll be facing. We all know it happens all the time. I'd be very surprised if they take any risks with Fields, especially with a bye coming up in two weeks. There's nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Grizzled wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 am

It's not uncommon for pro athletes to hit a brick wall during a season, especially if they've seen a lot of action. Seems to be common in pro basketball with rookies. They play 30 to 35 games in a college season and some just flame out in their first and longer pro season. The Bears should announce today if JF 's playing. I think besides the shoulder he just needs some rest to let his whole body heal and get some energy back.
Fields said immediately after the game that his hamstring issues were caused by cramping due to not keeping himself properly hydrated. He said he sweated more playing indoors and had an IV after the game. He didn't seem concerned about his legs at all.
That is good to hear. This issue seems to be more prevalent in pro basketball, with a much longer schedule and games played several days per week. Now let's have JF's shoulder properly addressed.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am
Middleguard wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:50 pm

This has shaken me. Why are the inmates running the asylum? This is the first time I've had to seriously question whether the coaching staff is really up to the job.
I'm hoping that Fields is actually misrepresenting their position on this matter.
I'm right there with you. However maybe.... that conversation was a touch different. Maybe there was some context missing, and I'm sure the coaches didnt think he would say that to the media. (If they did they are dumb)

Fields " will I be able to play"

Coach "well that will be up to you. How you respond and progress. Doc says it's not prone to become worse. So it's on you and how you respond."

Fields "okay it's on me"
I'm going to run with this interpretation. Flus and Poles simply cannot be so naive to leave their reputations in the hands of a player who wants to support his team.

The good thing is that all the chat indicates we're very likely not looking at more than the type one AC sprain Moriarty gave the details for. They'd know if it was a complete tear and definitely wouldn't be talking about coming back in anything but weeks. For a type one the bit about athletes who use overhand motions doesn't apply here as it's to his non throwing arm. I'm pretty sure he'd be playing on Sunday if the game meant anything but as it stands the prudent option is definitely to sit him and wait for the Packers game or an even longer rest to the bye. Unless they're hiding the severity of the injury I'd be amazed if he wasn't back after the bye.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A bit belated, but this is what Fields himself had to say:
“If I can play and I’m not furthering the risk of injury and I can do what I need to do to protect myself, that’ll be good enough for me to play."

“Of course I’m not gonna sacrifice playing in this game for me risking that I might not be able to play later... and have to sit out two or three more weeks after that. Just listening to my body and making sure I’m not forcing anything.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... -ligaments
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Getsy's explanation of the play calling on that fateful final drive...
Luke Getsy: Last Bears drive ‘turned into a pretty bad thing pretty quickly’

Offensive coordinator Luke Getsy thought the first play of the Bears’ ill-fated final drive Sunday would go for 10 yards.

Instead, it ended with quarterback Justin Fields landing awkwardly and separating his left shoulder.

“So it went from being like a 10-yard run out of bounds, not get hit, everyone’s happy,” Getsy said, “to a two-yard, roll out of bounds and fall on your shoulder.

“It turned into a pretty bad thing pretty quickly.”

Getsy on Thursday tried to explain the inexplicable: how the Bears’ last offensive gasp resulted in two runs and an interception on a short throw.

To understand why in the world he would call a Fields sweep on the first play of their final drive, he said, you have to go back to the middle of the second quarter.

The Bears were facing third-and-five at the Falcons’ 22 when Fields took a shotgun snap and ran left. Tight end Cole Kmet sealed defensive end Adetokunbo Ogundeji, leaving left tackle Braxton Jones to pull left. Jones ran past inside linebacker Beau Brinkley, who was rushing over his inside shoulder, to try to block safety Jaylinn Hawkins on the outside. David Montgomery also tried to block Hawkins.

Brinkley shot inside and tackled Fields for a one-yard loss. As the quarterback stood up along the sideline, Montgomery pointed to the rookie left tackle to tell him he blocked the wrong guy.

“Braxton kind of just ran right by the guy,” Getsy said. “Probably a 15-, 20-yard gain we left on the table.”

He filed the play away for later, believing Jones would might the right block for a long gain.

The Bears had 1:47 to play and three timeouts left — plenty of time to call running plays, Getsy said. With the ball at their own 25, the Bears had to go 40 yards or so to set up a Cairo Santos field goal to try to tie the game.

“We’re in great shape, only needing the field goal,” he said. “Want the touchdown. Need a field goal. You’re in great shape, pretty much can do whatever you want in that situation.”

Getsy said he wasn’t concerned by Fields’ hamstring cramps during the second half; it’s not unusual, he said, for the quarterback to have his legs stretched on the sideline. On first down, he called the sweep.

Again, Kmet sealed the defensive end. Again, Jones pulled left. He looked inside — but his man, cornerback Dee Alford, was rushing over Jones’ outside shoulder. Alford tackled Fields as he ran out of bounds and fell on his shoulder.

Getsy knew his shoulder was hurting on second down, so he called a draw for running back David Montgomery.

“Because he had the injury we thought, ‘Let’s give him a breather play,’” he said. “Let’s just get a draw off. And obviously he was in discomfort [so] that he kind of lost sight of what the play was.”

Rather than hand it off, Fields kept the ball himself and ran for four yards. He slid and was hit by defensive lineman Grady Jarrett. There was no flag.

On third-and-five, Fields threw an interception on a high checkdown pass that tipped off Montgomery’s fingers to seal the loss.

“He performed the play correctly,” Getsy said. “Just a little bit too late.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... terception
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Fields, who separated his left (non-throwing) shoulder when he was hit late in the game against the Falcons on Sunday, was limited in practice Thursday. But in the early portions of practice open to the media, he looked functionally able to play the position.

“He’s preparing right now to be the starter this week,” guard Teven Jenkins said. “His work ethic never changes and that’s what I really respect about him.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/202 ... rt-vs-jets
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

That Getsy explanation is great and 100% makes sense.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Justin Fields will be a game-time decision

Bears quarterback Justin Fields' availability for Sunday's road contest against the Jets is expected to be a game-time decision, coach Matt Eberflus said Friday.

The second-year pro was listed as questionable on the injury report after being limited in practice for the third straight day due to a left shoulder injury he suffered late in last Sunday's loss to the Falcons.

"I think we're going to let it go up to the game," Eberflus said. "We'll see where it goes. He's feeling better every single day. We've got 48 hours to assess that to where we're going to go with that."

Eberflus said that Fields participated in individual drills and some team work as well in Friday's practice.

"He's able to do a lot of things," said the Bears coach. "So we're getting him in there with what he can do, and he's been doing good in there."

Key factors in determining whether Fields can play against the Jets will include the pain, strength and function in his shoulder.

"We'll see where it goes," Eberflus said. "It's really a three-pronged effect. It's really more about the medical staff clearing him all the way into that [playing] status, then him feeling really good about his performance—being able to go out there and perform—and then as coaches assessing where he is throughout the week of practice."

Eberflus said that his preference is that Fields will play if "he's 100 percent ready to play."

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/justi ... ury-update
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so I am guessing Fields would be wearing some kind of harness on his left shoulder in order to play ... that might be ok if Fields was the standard dropback, stay in the pocket QB ... but he isn't and since he is a physical runner, he will take hits as a runner ... so for his long term good, he should be a backup against the Jets

I know this isn't a great comparison but the most recent QB with a similar injury to his non-throwing shoulder was Baker Mayfield ... Mayfield only ran when he absolutely had to so that helped prevent added hits, but he also declined noticeably as a passer while wearing the harness on his non-throwing shoulder ... and his overall play declined and never returned to his pre-injury level ... he admitted after that season the harness and injury hampered him

I just think for the good of Fields long term, he should not play until better rested and healed ... a 3 week vacation would do his shoulder good and then they can assess from there
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:53 am so I am guessing Fields would be wearing some kind of harness on his left shoulder in order to play ... that might be ok if Fields was the standard dropback, stay in the pocket QB ... but he isn't and since he is a physical runner, he will take hits as a runner ... so for his long term good, he should be a backup against the Jets

I know this isn't a great comparison but the most recent QB with a similar injury to his non-throwing shoulder was Baker Mayfield ... Mayfield only ran when he absolutely had to so that helped prevent added hits, but he also declined noticeably as a passer while wearing the harness on his non-throwing shoulder ... and his overall play declined and never returned to his pre-injury level ... he admitted after that season the harness and injury hampered him

I just think for the good of Fields long term, he should not play until better rested and healed ... a 3 week vacation would do his shoulder good and then they can assess from there
I agree completely. Look, there's no avoiding hits with this team right now. Whether he stays in the pocket or runs, he's going to get hit a lot. There's no real way to protect him and I maintain that I think he's safer running than being a target in the pocket, despite last week's injury. That doesn't mean I think he's safe, just safer than being a sitting duck behind this line.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:53 am
I agree this is the path to the best ultimate outcome for Justin and Bears.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

No real surprise, but the Bears have promoted third-string quarterback Nathan Peterman from the practice squad.

Even if it turns out Fields does play, the Bears still the insurance of another QB in the circumstances.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The runs are what is getting Fields hurt

They are also what potentially makes him great
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 am The runs are what is getting Fields hurt

They are also what potentially makes him great
Disagree, evidence suggests the unpenalised late hits are getting Fields hurt
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Common sense prevails...
Bears QB Justin Fields won’t play vs. Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Bears quarterback Justin Fields won’t play Sunday against the Jets after the team listed him as inactive with a left shoulder injury. Trevor Siemian will make his first start as member of the Bears.

Fields warmed up for about 15 minutes with the Bears’ other two quarterbacks before the 10:30 a.m. inactive deadline. He threw passes to receivers and ran between the goal line and 40-yard line and MetLife Stadium. Wearing a hooded sweatshirt, Fields did not appear to be in obvious pain.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... n-peterman
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 pm Common sense prevails...
Bears QB Justin Fields won’t play vs. Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Bears quarterback Justin Fields won’t play Sunday against the Jets after the team listed him as inactive with a left shoulder injury. Trevor Siemian will make his first start as member of the Bears.

Fields warmed up for about 15 minutes with the Bears’ other two quarterbacks before the 10:30 a.m. inactive deadline. He threw passes to receivers and ran between the goal line and 40-yard line and MetLife Stadium. Wearing a hooded sweatshirt, Fields did not appear to be in obvious pain.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... n-peterman

:party:

Now we just need an explanation for why Siemian has to go out and try to produce with shortened practices this week.
:-?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:27 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:08 pm

I expect the opposite. I think the whole thing collapses and people realize "holy shit" Fields was making chicken soup out of chicken shit. The O line will get exposed and scoring will drop again dramatically. JMO
Cosigned.

I think the first series will see a nice script. And then I think that'll be pretty much it for the Bears offense, at least until garbage time stats.
Pretty much spot on!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Heinz D.
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:58 am Disagree, evidence suggests the unpenalised late hits are getting Fields hurt
Dude.

They have to be smart enough to admit the game is what it is. You run Fields too often, you open up all kinds of nasty possibilities.

Which is why you don't do it. Johnson today said that during the Bears "streak". (or whatever the hell you want to call it), that Fields was averaging 15 carries a game. This isn't sustainable. Anybody arguing otherwise is fooling themselves.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

15 carries a game is a ton for a QB. Way too many for any QB. Right now Fields is a hybrid, he needs to be more QB to take this team where we all want it to go.
EricTighe
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:53 pm 15 carries a game is a ton for a QB. Way too many for any QB. Right now Fields is a hybrid, he needs to be more QB to take this team where we all want it to go.
I remember Bob Avellini, Erik Kramer, Vince Evans, hell even Jim Harbaugh. Other than the day we traded for Cutler and the years I defended McMahon for his last-minute heroics. I have never been this excited about a QB on our roster ever!

I really don't know if that is a good comment or a bad one. Damn our QBs have sucked through the years. Actually even if we have this kid for 3 years or thirty I am going to be happy he brought life back into these Bears Veins. To be entertained even when we lose? Wow, now that's a concept!
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

How about a Poll. Shut Fields down for the season, or not.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 pm How about a Poll. Shut Fields down for the season, or not.
Would we have to disembark from the Poles-Flus express?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

No, I like where we are heading. Fields has proven he can be the QB we want, no need to expose him any more. I never approve of tanking. But I can look the other way if guys making the big bucks, and big decisions, deem it appropriate to check out every minor player on the roster for a hint of future ability while saving a banged up Fields future development to watch and wait for better help. I've seen enough of him at this point and don't want to break him.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:16 pm No, I like where we are heading. Fields has proven he can be the QB we want, no need to expose him any more. I never approve of tanking. But I can look the other way if guys making the big bucks, and big decisions, deem it appropriate to check out every minor player on the roster for a hint of future ability while saving a banged up Fields future development to watch and wait for better help. I've seen enough of him at this point and don't want to break him.
If his shoulder doesn't increase the risk of injury, you play him. He needs the reps and he needs them with guys like Claypool, VJJ, Pringle and Harry to build timing with them / to see if they need to be here after this year (regarding Pringle and Harry).
wab
Mod

Yeah, he needs time on the field. If he's healthy, or at a minimum not at risk of further injury to the shoulder, he should play.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Healthy is one thing. If fine, of course he needs reps.

However, just "can't hurt it worse" isn't sufficient. If it's badly hurting and hampering and affecting his mechanics, execution, and decision making, then bad reps are worse than no reps. (IE, "practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent"
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.