Week 12 // Bears (3-8) @ NY Jets (6-4)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't see the Bears giving up good draft position. They will lose out this year. Which will be a good thing. Just make the games a little bit more entertaining than this one.
spudbear
MVP

With Fields running around out there it's entertaining but the Bears lose. With Siemian staying in the pocket the Bears lose but it's not so entertaining.
I'd rather see Fields be the passer the team needs and not so entertaining running the ball.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:57 pm Nearly forgot to make a prediction this week. With everything that's gone on, who knows?

Erm...

Bears: 9
Jets: 31
Wow, great prediction!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:35 am Bear's defense gonna get Zach Wilson a contract extension
Timing is everything.
Instead, they may have just got him benched for the season - or even traded in a few months.

:D

wait
:(

Do you think Jets coach deliberately used this game to rid himself of Wilson?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:57 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:57 pm Nearly forgot to make a prediction this week. With everything that's gone on, who knows?

Erm...

Bears: 9
Jets: 31
Wow, great prediction!
Last minute, and I so nearly put the Bears down for 10! I thought Peterman was going to be in after that report of Siemian getting injured in the warm up and figured they wouldn't score a TD but might run well enough to get into FG range occasionally.
Heinz D.
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:03 pm Do you think Jets coach deliberately used this game to rid himself of Wilson?
I'm not really sure he needs any further ammunition to justify showing Wilson the airlock. Wilson's probably there next year (because of his contract)--but I doubt he comes close to starting. It was stupid of them to not give White a legitimate shot, in the first place...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Well…the Bears would now have the second pick in the draft if the draft were today. Loved all the arm chair idiots…I mean analysts on Twitter asserting Fields was holding the offense back after the TD drive. Dumb takes that didn’t age well.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:40 pm
spudbear wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:32 pm Siemian is passing like I wish Fields would. Bears D seemed to regroup after an atrocious first series by the Jets. Glad to see Claypool getting more work.
Siemian showing that Fields is still a work in progress, and everybody bad mouthing the Bears talent on offense is clueless. Johnson's ballin' out. Sanborn looks like the real deal...
You went a bit early with that one
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Heinz D.
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:44 pm You went a bit early with that one
How is that?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Siemien did not show Fields is still a work in progress. We knew that already but Siemien did nothing to reinforce it.

He did ok on scripted plays then went to sleep for 3 quarters

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A true ass whompin' on both sides of the ball today.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Siemian showed Fields two things early on:

1. Passes to the running backs can lead to big plays. They had more RB receptions in the first quarter than they usually have in a whole game with Fields. Get the ball into your backs' hands and they may make a play for you.

2. You can throw the ball up and trust your receivers to make plays. Claypool and Pringle both made great contested catches.

Hopefully Fields absorbed those lessons and will incorporate them to his play when he returns. He doesn't always need to carry the offense on his shoulders alone.
Heinz D.
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:48 pm Siemien did not show Fields is still a work in progress. We knew that already but Siemien did nothing to reinforce it.

You honestly think that pass to Montgomery was a "scripted play"?

Besides. it was Siemien's first start, against a great defense, in a game that became overwhelmed by a torrential downpour.

Siemien clearly showed that the Bears offense functions MUCH better with quick decisions and timely throws. You can debate that point all you'd like, but I have absolutely no desire to engage in such an argument.
UOK
Site Admin

At this point it's pretty obvious that you shut Fields down and hope that a top pick is right there for the taking.
wab
Mod

I think it showed that if/when Fields takes that next step, and makes those quick decisions, this offense might be nearly indefensible.
dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:57 pm Wow this is going to be ugly. Both QBs will struggle because Mike White is an unheralded rookie starting his first game and Fields has one arm. This is gonna be Commanders Game Ugly

Jets 16
Bears 13
It’s the Bears, we will make Mike White look like Tom Brady. It’s what we do!
Called this one
Heinz D.
MVP

UOK wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:28 pm At this point it's pretty obvious that you shut Fields down and hope that a top pick is right there for the taking.
A top pick is there for the taking, no matter what. I guess that if I'm wrong about that, and it becomes an issue down the road, then you tweak things then...but right now this defense is just too atrocious to let anything resembling a winning streak happen.

You bring Fields back as soon as it's safest for him to do so (after the bye, at least, clearly) as he still has a lot to learn.
wab wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm I think it showed that if/when Fields takes that next step, and makes those quick decisions, this offense might be nearly indefensible.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:25 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:48 pm Siemien did not show Fields is still a work in progress. We knew that already but Siemien did nothing to reinforce it.

You honestly think that pass to Montgomery was a "scripted play"?

Besides. it was Siemien's first start, against a great defense, in a game that became overwhelmed by a torrential downpour.

Siemien clearly showed that the Bears offense functions MUCH better with quick decisions and timely throws. You can debate that point all you'd like, but I have absolutely no desire to engage in such an argument.
The equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and repeating “blah blah blah I’m not listening”

Enjoy your delusion :thumbsup:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm I think it showed that if/when Fields takes that next step, and makes those quick decisions, this offense might be nearly indefensible.
All the more reason to keep Getsy and not let him take a HC job elsewhere.
Heinz D.
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:55 pm The equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and repeating “blah blah blah I’m not listening”

Enjoy your delusion :thumbsup:
So, I'm not listening? To you, i guess?

How about you you explain your point, then? And let's be real--"Siemien falling asleep for three quarters" is NOT a point...
docc
Head Coach

Raiders win ! 4-7...#2 here we come..!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:40 pm Raiders win ! 4-7...#2 here we come..!
Missed a FG in OT and then won with an 86 yard run untouched right up the middle! Result.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:43 pm
docc wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:40 pm Raiders win ! 4-7...#2 here we come..!
Missed a FG in OT and then won with an 86 yard run untouched right up the middle! Result.
On an Iform run with a fullback leading the way. made my heart flutter.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I didn’t see anything illuminating from Siemean. The ball came out faster during the first quarter and WRs made a few plays for him - I think Fields benefits from seeing that.

But how do you draw conclusions from that 10 point outburst? We’ve been averaging near 30 with Fields.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm I didn’t see anything illuminating from Siemean. The ball came out faster during the first quarter and WRs made a few plays for him - I think Fields benefits from seeing that.

But how do you draw conclusions from that 10 point outburst? We’ve been averaging near 30 with Fields.
Fields has been rushing for, like, 80yds./game?

Can't have that.

Not sustainable.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That was just ugly and embarrassing. There's losing and then there's looking completely incompetent. We have no margin for losing key players on defense, and we've lost like three or four. It is going to be a long run to the end of the season. I also would not expect that one offseason, eight draft picks, and $100M is going to fix this.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm I didn’t see anything illuminating from Siemean. The ball came out faster during the first quarter and WRs made a few plays for him - I think Fields benefits from seeing that.

Fields has been rushing for, like, 80yds./game?

Can't have that.

Not sustainable.
I disagree. Also, notice how our rush attack sucked today? Fields yards and his threat to run make that rush attack go. Without that threat the OL just isn’t good enough. So when we ask Fields to run less and throw more, understand that means downgrading the rush attack - it’s not purely additive passing, there’s a negative trade off.

So while I think Getsy pushed it too far last week, particularly at the end of the game, I’m not of the belief that we should make Fields run much less than he does now. He’s special at it and it works.

I would like to see him release the ball quicker when guys are open and not hesitate - that should come soon I think.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:32 pm That was just ugly and embarrassing. There's losing and then there's looking completely incompetent. We have no margin for losing key players on defense, and we've lost like three or four. It is going to be a long run to the end of the season. I also would not expect that one offseason, eight draft picks, and $100M is going to fix this.
Yeah...Brisker and Gordon being out was a big factor in the defense going from terrible to EMBARRASING.

But, you know, I guess I'm a little more optimistic about it all than you are. As, the D does not have to jump from EMBARRASING to elite. It just has to get to "okay".

And that's probably doable...
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm So while I think Getsy pushed it too far last week, particularly at the end of the game, I’m not of the belief that we should make Fields run much less than he does now. He’s special at it and it works.
"He's special at it"? And..."it works"?

Fields has a separated left shoulder, and can't play. Didn't play today, SHOULDN'T play next week. And maybe not even after the bye. We'll see what happens.

That doesn't qualify, even slightly as "working".

Let's all take a deep breath, and (hopefully) share a collective moment of clarity, okay?

You all probably don't remember this guy named Cam Newton, as he played some time ago. Big dude...dual threat with both his arm and his legs. He won MVP one season, took his Panthers to the Super Bowl, only to lose to one the best defenses ever. A pity really, as Cam was a force most of that season.

Do you guys know what Cam is doing on Sundays now? He's watching games from his couch, just like the rest of us.

Cam Newton is 33 years old. In modern NFL years, Cam SHOULD be in the prime of his career. Making 40 large a season. With tons of endorsements on top of that. Taking his team to the playoffs. Hoping for a Super Bowl run.

But he's not. He's on his couch. Watching games. If you don't know why that is--I'll cheat and give you the answer;

THE PANTHERS RAN NEWTON INTO THE FUCKING GROUND.

It doesn't matter how special Fields is. It doesn't matter how much better than Newton that Fields is. Fields can't thwart the laws of physics. It simply doesn't work that way.
Last edited by Heinz D. on Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Siemian certainly didn't play better than Fields.
But he did do some things better than Fields, which Justin ought to take note of.

The checkdowns to the backs, who made something out of it
And the throws to receivers who weren't wide open and showed they can catch balls with good coverage sometimes
Both of which didn't involve the QB taking brutal punishment
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.