Week 12 // Bears (3-8) @ NY Jets (6-4)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

grendel2000
Journeyman

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:01 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm So while I think Getsy pushed it too far last week, particularly at the end of the game, I’m not of the belief that we should make Fields run much less than he does now. He’s special at it and it works.
"He's special at it"? And..."it works"?

Fields has a separated left shoulder, and can't play. Didn't play today, SHOULDN'T play next week. And maybe not even after the bye. We'll see what happens.

That doesn't qualify, even slightly as "working".

Let's all take a deep breath, and (hopefully) share a collective moment of clarity, okay?

You all probably don't remember this guy named Cam Newton, as he played some time ago. Big dude...dual threat with both his arm and his legs. He won MVP one season, took his Panthers to the Super Bowl, only to lose to one the best defenses ever. A pity really, as Cam was a force most of that season.

Do you guys know what Cam is doing on Sundays now? He's watching games from his couch, just like the rest of us.

Cam Newton is 33 years old. In modern NFL years, Cam SHOULD be in the prime of his career. Making 40 large a season. With tons of endorsements on top of that. Taking his team to the playoffs. Hoping for a Super Bowl run.

But he's not. He's on his couch. Watching games. If you don't know why that is--I'll cheat and give you the answer;

THE PANTHERS RAN NEWTON INTO THE FUCKING GROUND.

It doesn't matter how special Fields is. It doesn't matter how much better than Newton that Fields is. Fields can't thwart the laws of physics. It simply doesn't work that way.
Agreed. People seem to not put 2 + 2 together: RBs get ground down to nothing and are out of the league as a result FAR faster than QBs. If you want Fields to act like a RB, that's what we're going to get.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

:D
grendel2000 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:31 pm
"He's special at it"? And..."it works"?

Fields has a separated left shoulder, and can't play. Didn't play today, SHOULDN'T play next week. And maybe not even after the bye. We'll see what happens.

That doesn't qualify, even slightly as "working".

Let's all take a deep breath, and (hopefully) share a collective moment of clarity, okay?

You all probably don't remember this guy named Cam Newton, as he played some time ago. Big dude...dual threat with both his arm and his legs. He won MVP one season, took his Panthers to the Super Bowl, only to lose to one the best defenses ever. A pity really, as Cam was a force most of that season.

Do you guys know what Cam is doing on Sundays now? He's watching games from his couch, just like the rest of us.

Cam Newton is 33 years old. In modern NFL years, Cam SHOULD be in the prime of his career. Making 40 large a season. With tons of endorsements on top of that. Taking his team to the playoffs. Hoping for a Super Bowl run.

But he's not. He's on his couch. Watching games. If you don't know why that is--I'll cheat and give you the answer;

It doesn't matter how special Fields is. It doesn't matter how much better than Newton that Fields is. Fields can't thwart the laws of physics. It simply doesn't work that way.
Agreed. People seem to not put 2 + 2 together: RBs get ground down to nothing and are out of the league as a result FAR faster than QBs. If you want Fields to act like a RB, that's what we're going to get.
Hard to disagree. If Fields is gonna be THE guy, he needs to learn to do it from the pocket and use his legs as a last resort on broken plays.

I still believe he will become a much better pocket passer. I hope that even Fields understands that that 5 week stretch cannot continue. Like they say, the greatest ability is availability.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
IotaNet
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:01 pm ... You all probably don't remember this guy named Cam Newton, as he played some time ago. Big dude...dual threat with both his arm and his legs. He won MVP one season, took his Panthers to the Super Bowl, only to lose to one the best defenses ever. A pity really, as Cam was a force most of that season.

It doesn't matter how special Fields is. It doesn't matter how much better than Newton that Fields is. Fields can't thwart the laws of physics. It simply doesn't work that way ...
Whoa. Now THAT was some real talk.

Regardless of what one thinks about the kind of QB you want JF1 to be, the points HD makes cannot be overlooked. Excellent post.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
EricTighe
MVP

Ok, I get the comparisons between Cam and Fields.

But there are differences!

Cam coming out of college was Known for being the best athlete on the field. With a Cannon for an Arm. He did nothing to dispel this reputation in the NFL.

Fields was known to have a great arm and wasn't even considered the best athlete at the QB position coming out of the draft. That went to Lance, with WIlson coming in second.

Cam was known to have a slow delivery but so unbelievably huge it didn't matter to Carolina, who picked him first.

Fields is a pocket QB that can run. Cam was a freak of genetics that we may not see for a while. But he was never called a pocket QB! Ever!

I will say they have one trait in common, which is why Justin's career could be cut short. They will do whatever it takes to win.

History will tell us that this is not sustainable until guys like Lamar Jackson and Justin FIelds prove us wrong :).

Have you guys looked at our history at QB? Why is anyone bitching about Fields actually giving our dead-ass offense a pulse? I am seriously confused unless of course you all love to bitch just to bitch!

Justin Fields gives me hope as a Bears fan. When in the hell can anyone say they remember saying that about a QB we have ever had?

Go ahead and rip into me. I am still driving this damn Bus.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 pm Ok, I get the comparisons between Cam and Fields.

But there are differences!

Cam coming out of college was Known for being the best athlete on the field. With a Cannon for an Arm. He did nothing to dispel this reputation in the NFL.

Fields was known to have a great arm and wasn't even considered the best athlete at the QB position coming out of the draft. That went to Lance, with WIlson coming in second.

Cam was known to have a slow delivery but so unbelievably huge it didn't matter to Carolina, who picked him first.

Fields is a pocket QB that can run. Cam was a freak of genetics that we may not see for a while. But he was never called a pocket QB! Ever!

I will say they have one trait in common, which is why Justin's career could be cut short. They will do whatever it takes to win.

History will tell us that this is not sustainable until guys like Lamar Jackson and Justin FIelds prove us wrong :).

Have you guys looked at our history at QB? Why is anyone bitching about Fields actually giving our dead-ass offense a pulse? I am seriously confused unless of course you all love to bitch just to bitch!

Justin Fields gives me hope as a Bears fan. When in the hell can anyone say they remember saying that about a QB we have ever had?

In order to become a franchise QB, you have to be around long enough. Hoping Fields becomes quicker getting rid of the ball is not bitching just to bitch. It's progression.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Regarding my last post, some of Fields biggest hits are in the pocket. Upgrading the line and getting quicker with his decisions will just make him more of a threat escaping the pocket.
EricTighe
MVP

Is it or is it realizing we don't have the WR that can get open quick enough o get rid of the ball quickly enough?

The kid does nothing but pour everything he has into winning a game. Right now until the talent gets around him that is great to me. Ball out Fields!
EricTighe
MVP

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:47 pm Regarding my last post, some of Fields biggest hits are in the pocket. Upgrading the line and getting quicker with his decisions will just make him more of a threat escaping the pocket.
Even Brady has his issues with pressure up the middle. No one is perfect so everyone will have flaws. It is what you do in spite of them that makes champions. I believe Fields has that trait.

I am still driving this damn bus.
Heinz D.
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 pm History will tell us that this is not sustainable until guys like Lamar Jackson and Justin FIelds prove us wrong :).
They will NOT prove us "wrong"...and that's the entire point I've been making.

And you can't lump Jackson in with Fields, as that coaching staff does a MUCH better job in regulating Jackson's running. I don't think much thought has been put into Fields' game, at all.
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 pmHave you guys looked at our history at QB? Why is anyone bitching about Fields actually giving our dead-ass offense a pulse? I am seriously confused unless of course you all love to bitch just to bitch!

Ummm...my guess is that I'm substantially older than you are, dude.

And, as such, have been a Bears fan for longer. Maybe even longer than you've been alive.

Hoping for a flash in the pan sort of thing--and getting a promising young athlete killed in the process, is...well, it's kind of sick, to be honest.

What we should all be hoping for is a real franchise QB, who can keep us in contention every year.

You know, like Green Bay has had for seemingly forever?

I honestly don't get why this is a hard concept to understand.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Why are Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson hard to understand? The game changes all the time.

Also, purposely taking away Fields elite asset seems foolish. Let him play his game. His run volume will decrease naturally as he starts to get better timing and players around him. Neutering him is crazy, just trade him if you’re going to do that and go look for the Brees clone you want. I’m happy with what we have and he will progress / prefer to throw more as he develops.
Last edited by dplank on Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricTighe
MVP

For starters, I am 55. If you are way older than me then congratulations.

Now you may be a Bears fan way longer than me since I was a Raiders fan before the day I met Walter Payton in College. He is the reason I have been a fan since 1975. That may be why I have his signed jersey in a safety deposit box. But that matters little or nothing at all. I am a die-hard Bears fan. Time of service doesn't mean squat! Hell, I am an American, and my mother is a daughter of the revolution. That doesn't mean I am more American than anyone else. Hell, I even served this country as my father and his father and his father and so on.....

What's the point? You either are or you are not. The point I am making is simple. Don't go there. You either are a Bear fan or you are not. Time has no relevance to this or any other argument.

We have our franchise QB. Whether you run or not does it matter? If your Joe Theismann? Joe Gilliam? Hell Tom Brady missed a year.

Here is an interesting story feel free to read it.
https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/artic ... jury-rates

QBs like players need to play to their strengths and yes even though getting hit more can lead to more injuries. It is not saying that is the end to end all.

Justin FIleds is special and you will all be saying this in time.

And no I do not know him.

By the way, I am actually 54. Was born on June 28, 1968. If it matters.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pm For starters, I am 55. If you are way older than me then congratulations.

Now you may be a Bears fan way longer than me since I was a Raiders fan before the day I met Walter Payton in College. He is the reason I have been a fan since 1975. That may be why I have his signed jersey in a safety deposit box. But that matters little or nothing at all. I am a die-hard Bears fan. Time of service doesn't mean squat! Hell, I am an American, and my mother is a daughter of the revolution. That doesn't mean I am more American than anyone else. Hell, I even served this country as my father and his father and his father and so on.....

What's the point? You either are or you are not. The point I am making is simple. Don't go there. You either are a Bear fan or you are not. Time has no relevance to this or any other argument.

We have our franchise QB. Whether you run or not does it matter? If your Joe Theismann? Joe Gilliam? Hell Tom Brady missed a year.

Here is an interesting story feel free to read it.
https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/artic ... jury-rates

QBs like players need to play to their strengths and yes even though getting hit more can lead to more injuries. It is not saying that is the end to end all.

Justin FIleds is special and you will all be saying this in time.

And no I do not know him.

By the way, I am actually 54. Was born on June 28, 1968. If it matters.
LOL.

Maybe 1 poster might believe Fields is not special. This is a conversation about balancing his running ability with progressing as a passer.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Is it abnormal to think less hits are better for quarterbacks, especially considering the amount of cap space a franchise QB takes up?
EricTighe
MVP

Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 pm Is it abnormal to think less hits are better for quarterbacks, especially considering the amount of cap space a franchise QB takes up?
But it is best to have a franchise Qb to have these arguments than not to have one at all. If this is abnormal then I will take abnormal for the time being.

I remember when people use to say that the way Payton ran wasn't sustainable. He proved them wrong by keep running the way he did.

Fran Tarkenton was 6'0 and weight 190 dripping weight. (Guessing here didn't look it up) He played for a long time. Michael Vick wasn't that big and played for a long time minus the years for being stupid. Randall Cunningham had a pretty long career. Steve Young played for a while even though he sat behind Montana for a few years. Elway played for a long time and he might have been the first Cam.

I do not agree that we should have run Justin on the first two plays in that drive. Hell, even Moose saw something was off with Justin that our coach should have known. But young O-coordinators have to learn from their mistakes as well.
MoFugger
Head Coach

He's also the owner of two high-end cigar bar / restaurants in the Atlanta area, a paid motivational speaker, a large investor in UFC, has a net worth of about 80 million, and a father of five who gets to sit home on the couch and watch football with his family.

And he's a 33-year-old in pretty good shape.

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty bad for him right now.
I think I'll bring him some soup.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 pm Is it abnormal to think less hits are better for quarterbacks, especially considering the amount of cap space a franchise QB takes up?
But it is best to have a franchise Qb to have these arguments than not to have one at all. If this is abnormal then I will take abnormal for the time being.

I remember when people use to say that the way Payton ran wasn't sustainable. He proved them wrong by keep running the way he did.

Fran Tarkenton was 6'0 and weight 190 dripping weight. (Guessing here didn't look it up) He played for a long time. Michael Vick wasn't that big and played for a long time minus the years for being stupid. Randall Cunningham had a pretty long career. Steve Young played for a while even though he sat behind Montana for a few years. Elway played for a long time and he might have been the first Cam.

I do not agree that we should have run Justin on the first two plays in that drive. Hell, even Moose saw something was off with Justin that our coach should have known. But young O-coordinators have to learn from their mistakes as well.
Elway didn't run as much as you think. He only averaged 3 rushes per game throughout his career. His first 2 years was right on that avg.

Cunningham played more than 8 games only 2x in his last 8 yrs. Tark's highest rushes for the season, was only 4x a game. I would bet any were called QB runs. He was a scrambler.

At this moment Fields, for his career, is avg 8 carries a game. He is avg 11 carries a game this year. WE know a good deal of these are designed runs.
dplank
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 am

Yes exactly. We all want and expect his off schedule runs to decrease as he grows as a passer in this offense. But until this thread, I hadn’t seen anyone just outright say they want to make him a pure pocket passer - that’s hot garbage IMO. Seriously just trade him at peak value if that’s the case because he’s always going to have a run element to his game and taking away what he does best would be a really bad move - defenses are literally game planning to take that away, and some folks want our coaches to do that for them? Hahaha wtf?

The designed runs work and have completely opened up this offense. Getsy took it a bit too far and needs to dial it back just a touch, and Fields needs to grow as a passer (as does his WR and OL) and we should see less off schedule runs, and we are good to go. But keep those designed runs in the game plan, it is working great and defenses are really having a problem with it. Then play off that to keep them off balance. Hopefully he ends up right where Josh Allen is.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:59 pm
wab wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm I think it showed that if/when Fields takes that next step, and makes those quick decisions, this offense might be nearly indefensible.
All the more reason to keep Getsy and not let him take a HC job elsewhere.
With way this offense has looked the last two weeks and play calling, I do not see that as a major worry at this point. Hackett is making teams leary of GB Coordinators now. Getsy playcalling that led to Fields taking unneeded risks that led to his injury knocked a lot of shine off Getsy's future prospects.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

A lot of ugly aspects to this game:
  • Mooney out for the season. Best case scenario is that he comes back undiminished in a year. Extension talk should be killed.
  • Eddie probably out for season. Will be lucky if he comes back undiminished in a year.
  • Borom sucked then went out with mystery injury. Worst case is yet another concussion and his career could be over soon. Best case is a future backup role and/or a move inside.
  • Harry healthy inactive again. He'll get time with Mooney down, but obviously they've pretty much given up on him.
  • Of his 3 receptions this year, VJJ's last was before Halloween.
  • Leatherwood also not even active for games, much less getting in them.
  • Bears are really depleted at some positions. While losing games is no big deal, rushing people back out of desperation would be bad and you can't develop the guys who are healthy if you're getting overwhelmed and slaughtered.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:06 am A lot of ugly aspects to this game:
  • Mooney out for the season. Best case scenario is that he comes back undiminished in a year. Extension talk should be killed.
  • Eddie probably out for season. Will be lucky if he comes back undiminished in a year.
  • Borom sucked then went out with mystery injury. Worst case is yet another concussion and his career could be over soon. Best case is a future backup role and/or a move inside.
  • Harry healthy inactive again. He'll get time with Mooney down, but obviously they've pretty much given up on him.
  • Of his 3 receptions this year, VJJ's last was before Halloween.
  • Leatherwood also not even active for games, much less getting in them.
  • Bears are really depleted at some positions. While losing games is no big deal, rushing people back out of desperation would be bad and you can't develop the guys who are healthy if you're getting overwhelmed and slaughtered.
Other than that, how was the play Mr. President?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I still had hope at halftime that the Bears could get it together but then the second half made the suck factor all too clear

crappy loss and some injuries they could have done without ... wtf was up with Semien? hurt himself in warmups?

the season is lost ... keep Fields safe and let the Nathan Peterman show lead the team to their final losses
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:45 pm I still had hope at halftime that the Bears could get it together but then the second half made the suck factor all too clear

crappy loss and some injuries they could have done without ... wtf was up with Semien? hurt himself in warmups?

the season is lost ... keep Fields safe and let the Nathan Peterman show lead the team to their final losses
I disagree. I'd see where he is after the bye and if he's cleared, let he and Claypool, Harry, VJJ, Pringle, etc. get to know each other on the field better. Further, Fields needs more passing game efficiency to work on. I'm all for his getting more PT this year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Things change, conditioning, rules, protraction of players, safety equipment. What was the norm 30, 20, 10 even 5 years ago is not guaranteed to be the norm going forward.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'll throw out Russell Wilson, who's 34 this year and is having "issues" with the Broncos. Wilson pretty much was hit like a pinata with the Seahawks, ranking at or near the top of the league in sacks each years. Build that wall of protection, Poles, unlike what John Schneider did in Seattle.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:17 pm Why are Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson hard to understand? The game changes all the time.

Also, purposely taking away Fields elite asset seems foolish. Let him play his game. His run volume will decrease naturally as he starts to get better timing and players around him. Neutering him is crazy, just trade him if you’re going to do that and go look for the Brees clone you want. I’m happy with what we have and he will progress / prefer to throw more as he develops.
I get your point. I think we all do...but you're making this argument when Fields is literally not able to play (without further risk)...and may end up on IR.

The bigger picture issue is that you can't leave this aspect up to Fields. He's going to do whatever he thinks is necessary to win a game. That's what you WANT to see in a quarterback...but the coaches have to talk sense into him.
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pm For starters, I am 55. If you are way older than me then congratulations.

A little flummoxed by the bullshit hostility.

I haven't been insulting, or hostile, to anyone in this thread...or elsewhere. You really should knock that shit off...as it doesn't accomplish anything. And only serves to make you look bad.

The time factor that I brought up was to empathize the dearth of franchise QB play in Chicago. If you think we can maintain a franchise QB by running him 15 times a game...I'm sorry, but you're simply WRONG on that point. There is no reinventing the wheel on this. And you're literally making this argument when Fields is unable to play. from an injury sustained by running the ball.
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pmWe have our franchise QB. Whether you run or not does it matter? If your Joe Theismann? Joe Gilliam? Hell Tom Brady missed a year.
Yeah...it does matter. Are we now pretending that Fields doesn't have a separated shoulder?
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pmJustin FIleds is special and you will all be saying this in time.
I'm saying that NOW. Which is why I don't want him to get killed on the football field.
EricTighe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 am I do not agree that we should have run Justin on the first two plays in that drive. Hell, even Moose saw something was off with Justin that our coach should have known. But young O-coordinators have to learn from their mistakes as well.
I did not agree with that, either. Which is, pretty much, the cornerstone of the point I've been trying to make.

So...what is YOUR point? Do you even have one?
MoFugger wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:00 am He's also the owner of two high-end cigar bar / restaurants in the Atlanta area, a paid motivational speaker, a large investor in UFC, has a net worth of about 80 million, and a father of five who gets to sit home on the couch and watch football with his family.

If you're fine with Justin Fields having a short, semi-successful career with the Chicago Bears, then that's your opinion, and hard to argue against.

I want Fields to be a franchise QB.

I guess the two of us simply differ, in that regard.
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:00 am Yes exactly. We all want and expect his off schedule runs to decrease as he grows as a passer in this offense. But until this thread, I hadn’t seen anyone just outright say they want to make him a pure pocket passer - that’s hot garbage IMO.
No one has been saying that Fields needs to be a pure pocket passer. I mean...read the thread.

But, yet again, you are making these posts when Fields is literally on the shelf from running the ball too much.

If you need me to get into the details of all that, I will. I will gladly explain it to you.
Boris13c wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:45 pm I still had hope at halftime that the Bears could get it together but then the second half made the suck factor all too clear

Fields has to get back out there. He needs the experience. Hopefully it works out. Mooney being gone is a big blow to the offense.
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:00 am The designed runs work and have completely opened up this offense. Getsy took it a bit too far and needs to dial it back just a touch, and Fields needs to grow as a passer (as does his WR and OL) and we should see less off schedule runs, and we are good to go. But keep those designed runs in the game plan, it is working great and defenses are really having a problem with it. Then play off that to keep them off balance. Hopefully he ends up right where Josh Allen is.
So...YET AGAIN...what is your point? Do you have a point? What is your opinion on all this?

Is Getsy having Fields run WAY too much, or isn't he? Because you're literally claiming both things.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Wow!

Heinz you just blocked four guys in a single snap!

Keep 'em honest my man. ;)
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dude, do you not realize that pocket passers are hurt all over the league every year as well? Pointing to Fields missing 1 game and extrapolating to the various declarative statements here is just bad math/analysis.

Aaron Rodgers has a rib injury right now, injury occurred in the pocket.

My point is just not as harsh and aggressive as you want it to be I guess? No, I don’t think Getsy runs him WAY to much lol (why phrase it that way?). I think he could pull back just a touch and I think he made an error at the end of that game when Fields didn’t look right. I like the designed runs and want to keep those. And I want Justin to let the ball go more and scramble off schedule less. Combine those three thoughts and that’s my take.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If the designed runs end with Fields sliding or running out-of-bounds (and the officials do their damn job and throw flags when he's hit late) then I don't see why anyone should have a problem with them.

Obviously there is still a risk, as we saw with the injury which was sustained as Fields was taken to the ground as he went out of bounds, but it's no higher than the risk of injury from getting hit in the pocket which happens to all QBs during games (unless they're playing the Bears this season with their pathetic pass rush!).

If Fields was lowering his shoulder every time like a running back and trying to truck over defenders then I'd be worried... as I was when he ran over two defenders on the goal line to score that TD, but that was on an amazing scramble not a designed run.

It's the hits he takes rather than the number of the runs that we're concerned about here. He can minimise the hits by being smart and he's mostly made good decisions on that front this season. There was one run earlier in the year when he should have stepped out-of-bounds but cut back to gain a few extra yards, but he acknowledged after the game that he shouldn't have done that. He's young and he's learning. His decision-making on these runs should only get better.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:01 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:17 pm Why are Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson hard to understand? The game changes all the time.

I get your point. I think we all do...but you're making this argument when Fields is literally not able to play (without further risk)...and may end up on IR.

The bigger picture issue is that you can't leave this aspect up to Fields. He's going to do whatever he thinks is necessary to win a game. That's what you WANT to see in a quarterback...but the coaches have to talk sense into him.

A little flummoxed by the bullshit hostility.

I haven't been insulting, or hostile, to anyone in this thread...or elsewhere. You really should knock that shit off...as it doesn't accomplish anything. And only serves to make you look bad.

The time factor that I brought up was to empathize the dearth of franchise QB play in Chicago. If you think we can maintain a franchise QB by running him 15 times a game...I'm sorry, but you're simply WRONG on that point. There is no reinventing the wheel on this. And you're literally making this argument when Fields is unable to play. from an injury sustained by running the ball.
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pmWe have our franchise QB. Whether you run or not does it matter? If your Joe Theismann? Joe Gilliam? Hell Tom Brady missed a year.
Yeah...it does matter. Are we now pretending that Fields doesn't have a separated shoulder?
EricTighe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 pmJustin FIleds is special and you will all be saying this in time.
I'm saying that NOW. Which is why I don't want him to get killed on the football field.
EricTighe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 am I do not agree that we should have run Justin on the first two plays in that drive. Hell, even Moose saw something was off with Justin that our coach should have known. But young O-coordinators have to learn from their mistakes as well.
I did not agree with that, either. Which is, pretty much, the cornerstone of the point I've been trying to make.

So...what is YOUR point? Do you even have one?
MoFugger wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:00 am He's also the owner of two high-end cigar bar / restaurants in the Atlanta area, a paid motivational speaker, a large investor in UFC, has a net worth of about 80 million, and a father of five who gets to sit home on the couch and watch football with his family.

If you're fine with Justin Fields having a short, semi-successful career with the Chicago Bears, then that's your opinion, and hard to argue against.

I guess the two of us simply differ, in that regard.
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:00 am Yes exactly. We all want and expect his off schedule runs to decrease as he grows as a passer in this offense. But until this thread, I hadn’t seen anyone just outright say they want to make him a pure pocket passer - that’s hot garbage IMO.
No one has been saying that Fields needs to be a pure pocket passer. I mean...read the thread.

But, yet again, you are making these posts when Fields is literally on the shelf from running the ball too much.

If you need me to get into the details of all that, I will. I will gladly explain it to you.

Fields has to get back out there. He needs the experience. Hopefully it works out. Mooney being gone is a big blow to the offense.
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:00 am The designed runs work and have completely opened up this offense. Getsy took it a bit too far and needs to dial it back just a touch, and Fields needs to grow as a passer (as does his WR and OL) and we should see less off schedule runs, and we are good to go. But keep those designed runs in the game plan, it is working great and defenses are really having a problem with it. Then play off that to keep them off balance. Hopefully he ends up right where Josh Allen is.
So...YET AGAIN...what is your point? Do you have a point? What is your opinion on all this?

Is Getsy having Fields run WAY too much, or isn't he? Because you're literally claiming both things.
I just want to acknowledge the time and effort this post required.

I also agree with the majority of it, so that’s a plus.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:01 pm If you're fine with Justin Fields having a short, semi-successful career with the Chicago Bears, then that's your opinion, and hard to argue against.

This is the most important thing that needs to happen in the past 35 years of this franchise's history. JF1 is our Luke Skywalker (the cool one from Episodes 4 through 6) and if he's lost to the Emperor we lose the war.

Fields cannot be Dusty Baker'd into being ruined by overuse early on in his career.

But here's the rub.

Fields can't be faulted for running out there. Unfortunately quite a bit of that is because he's running for his life.

In order to ensure that he's the QB at 35 years old and not Cam Newton, there is literally no other choice than to massively upgrade his supporting cast.