The Blame Game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 am The one thing I don't really understand is Fields taking a step back in terms of accuracy.

I thought the deep ball accuracy was a bit overstated at tOSU (there are a lot of throws to Olave and the like where its a completion/TD because Olave is Wide, wide open so the ball isn't really leading him - Because there is No Need to lead them)

But - this was a very accurate QB in College - So I'm really at a loss to explain that part - like the miss to Montgomery that was just really high for no reason - there are very few examples of that from Fields in College
I think that him getting the green light to run at the first sign of trouble has really fucked his footwork. He's got extremely happy feet right now because he's primed to run from the start, and that's both obviously affecting his accuracy, and also slowing down his decision making even more because he's losing that split second trying to reset his feet before letting it rip. And when he's already a tick behind, that's just exacerbating a bad situation.

Lately I've been leaning towards the grand explanation that he's just got too much on his plate this season. Learning a brand new offense, which I suspect looks radically different than whatever Nagy was running. Having his mechanics completely rebuilt. An OL that often is less than ideal. And the expectations of his draft position. I think he's gonna continue to take his lumps this season, because up in his head is a swirling mess, and at this point it's really just about 2023. But honestly I think the coaches were always thinking this as well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

My really fast, not guaranteed counts:

OL - 51
Fields - 44
WR - 33.5
Getsy - 19.5
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.