Mooney Out Rest of Season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Torn ligaments in his ankle, surgery to repair. He's done for the rest of '22. Claypool becomes #1. Pringle seems high in the mix of the rest of the guys but after that? Will Harry or ESB step up their games?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

We know Pettis can't step up. What about the Rookie Velus Jones? About time he shows or he needs to go. ESB just plays like a lightweight TE. Good blocker but his routs are not good.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

That sucks. The only good thing is he and Fields have been working together A LOT, so this will hopefully make Chasepool the alpha in the WR room and get the bulk of the targets in games.

Will also free up more reps to VJJ, Harry and Pringle to see were they stack up in the long term future of this team. Granted VJJ isn't going anywhere but can get an idea of what he can do hopefully.

Granted this all assume Fields is back next week or after the bye.
wab
Mod

This sucks. He should be healthy and ready for next season though.

I feel like the Bears are cruising along a path to the #1 pick.
spudbear
MVP

I'm guessing this will mean Harry comes off inactive. I'd like to see him outplay ESB (manos de piedras) if given the chance.
VJJ should get the opportunity to see what he needs to do on go/post routes against NFL DB's. Needs game time experience for that.

As far as #1 pick, I doubt Houston will surpass the Bears in W's.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

There's nothing wrong with ESB's hands...it's his short-to-intermediate routes that are terrible.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am There's nothing wrong with ESB's hands...it's his short-to-intermediate routes that are terrible.
Correct.

Totally disappointed with the Mooney diagnosis. That sucks. What really baffles me is the N'Keal Harry thing. He was a stud at ASU, got a raw deal in NE, and I thought the Bears was the perfect place for him to be a dominant presence in the the WR room. It just hasn't happened. Granted, our OL sucks and Fields is not an elite thrower of the football, but I certainly expected more from him than I did Pettis or VJJ.

Speaking of Vajazzle. I think his hands are crap. He seems to bobble everything.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Put Velus out there and let’s have a dolphin show with his flipper hands.

OK Velus, now clap and swim backwards.

EEEEEEE—EEEE-EEEEEEEEE!!!!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:30 pm
wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am There's nothing wrong with ESB's hands...it's his short-to-intermediate routes that are terrible.
Correct.

Totally disappointed with the Mooney diagnosis. That sucks. What really baffles me is the N'Keal Harry thing. He was a stud at ASU, got a raw deal in NE, and I thought the Bears was the perfect place for him to be a dominant presence in the the WR room. It just hasn't happened. Granted, our OL sucks and Fields is not an elite thrower of the football, but I certainly expected more from him than I did Pettis or VJJ.

Speaking of Vajazzle. I think his hands are crap. He seems to bobble everything.
Maybe he didn't get a raw deal in NE and just isn't all that good?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sucks for Mooney ... looked bad when it happened but I was hoping it wasn't too serious ... so much for that

getting rolled up on from behind was just bad luck ... Mooney was doing his job on a block and never saw it coming or had a chance to avoid it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Time to find out what NH and VJJ can do. VJJ needs to progress as he’ll be still here next year
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:42 pm

Correct.

Yeah...I'm not there yet, but gravitating toward it slowly.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 am This sucks. He should be healthy and ready for next season though.

That would mean Houston would have to win 2 of their remaining games and for us to not win any. I think the odds of the second part are higher than the first part. Houston is really really bad.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:35 pm Put Velus out there and let’s have a dolphin show with his flipper hands.

OK Velus, now clap and swim backwards.

EEEEEEE—EEEE-EEEEEEEEE!!!!
This just in from practice:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Correct.

Agreed. Don't see Belichek getting rid of someone who he thinks can contribute. They guy is a dud.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Agreed. Don't see Belichek getting rid of someone who he thinks can contribute. They guy is a dud.
No great loss, a 7th round pick
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:39 pm

Yeah...I'm not there yet, but gravitating toward it slowly.
I'm headed there, but still want to see him on the field. I think we can all agree on what ESB and Pettis' ceilings and floors are. Guys like them have spots on NFL rosters. I just want to figure out what Harry's ceilings and floors are. We shouldn't bring them all back, but some likely will just so that Fields isn't throwing to a completely revamped WR room. Just need to know who should come back.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:52 pm
wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 am This sucks. He should be healthy and ready for next season though.

That would mean Houston would have to win 2 of their remaining games and for us to not win any. I think the odds of the second part are higher than the first part. Houston is really really bad.
Yeah, the Bears beat them ....

And maybe Pringle and ESB were also available at relaticelynlow contracts for a reason also ....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
otis
Pro Bowler

i was looking at the texans schedule. i can see them winning two more games and us going nada = number one pick!
karhu
Head Coach

otis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 pm

i was looking at the texans schedule. i can see them winning two more games and us going nada = number one pick!
It'd be hilarious if the Colts and Jags decided to help themselves while screwing a division opponent and throw those last two.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Relative to his production thus far we paid a lot for Claypool.

I'm excited to see what he has to offer as the #1 WR.

That being said, I'm not convinced that either Mooney or Claypool are the #1 WRs that we need. I'm totally fine with having Claypool as a #2 WR and whatever happens with Mooney happens. He's not a $16M / year talent. I know we are nowhere close to either / or discussions with the cap money, but I'd rather take the $16M and put that towards an elite talent on the OL or as part of a salary package for a true elite #1 WR via trade or FA.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I follow this, I wouldn’t spend 35M of cap space for two #2 WRs. It really depends on how they see Fields in Y3 and beyond how they approach the position. If they are going to keep running Fields a lot, then no point going for a huge #1 WR as Fields himself is your big playmaker - another playmaking TE might be a better use of cap. If they are going to rein that in and want him more as a pocket passer, then you need a true #1 which we lack. In that case I wouldn’t overspend on two #2’s, I’d spend more total on the two WRs (like 45M), keep Claypool as the #2, let Mooney go, and load up on a #1. In both examples I don’t like spending 35M on two #2 caliber WRs and I haven’t seen anything from either Mooney or Claypool that makes me think either is a #1

Also in the mixing bowl of thoughts, if you want Fields to be more pocket type, you can’t go for the Blue Light Special at your T positions, you need blue chip players there. That’s a premium cost position.

Poles has a lot to consider and I can see a scenario where Mooney walks.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 am Relative to his production thus far we paid a lot for Claypool.

I'm excited to see what he has to offer as the #1 WR.

That being said, I'm not convinced that either Mooney or Claypool are the #1 WRs that we need. I'm totally fine with having Claypool as a #2 WR and whatever happens with Mooney happens. He's not a $16M / year talent. I know we are nowhere close to either / or discussions with the cap money, but I'd rather take the $16M and put that towards an elite talent on the OL or as part of a salary package for a true elite #1 WR via trade or FA.
I don't expect Claypool to really be producing until a full offseason with the team. Anything we get from him between now and the end of the year is just development time.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 pm
otis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 pm

It'd be hilarious if the Colts and Jags decided to help themselves while screwing a division opponent and throw those last two.
Watching the Colts last night, they might not have to "throw" the game in order for the Texans to win. Last night was an awful game.

Looking at the Texans' schedule, those 2 games are the only games they have the best shot at winning IMO, followed closely by the game with the Browns. But hey, it's the NFL, any given Sunday anything could happen. Maybe they knock off Dallas, KC and TN.
spudbear
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:07 am I follow this, I wouldn’t spend 35M of cap space for two #2 WRs. It really depends on how they see Fields in Y3 and beyond how they approach the position. If they are going to keep running Fields a lot, then no point going for a huge #1 WR as Fields himself is your big playmaker - another playmaking TE might be a better use of cap. If they are going to rein that in and want him more as a pocket passer, then you need a true #1 which we lack. In that case I wouldn’t overspend on two #2’s, I’d spend more total on the two WRs (like 45M), keep Claypool as the #2, let Mooney go, and load up on a #1. In both examples I don’t like spending 35M on two #2 caliber WRs and I haven’t seen anything from either Mooney or Claypool that makes me think either is a #1

Also in the mixing bowl of thoughts, if you want Fields to be more pocket type, you can’t go for the Blue Light Special at your T positions, you need blue chip players there. That’s a premium cost position.

Poles has a lot to consider and I can see a scenario where Mooney walks.
Bears can't afford a FA #1 WR if one was even available as they have too many other needs. I don't mind bringing both Mooney and Claypool back as they have complementary skills. I also would like the Bears to keep a couple of their draft picks longer than 3 years.

What kind of contract would the Bears have to match if Mooney tests the FA waters? That would go a ways in deciding how much to spend on the two headed #2's. I can also see the Bears trading their high first round pick and getting a few first and second round picks. If that was the case then they could take a gamble on a future #1 WR, give him a little time to develop and still have the 2 #2's on the roster.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wulfy
MVP

If nothing else, hopefully we'll find out what we have in Harry, Pringle, Claypool and VJJr the rest of the year.

I think we already have that answer on EqSB (and I'm not sure we as "fans" have the same conclusion as the coaching staff.

Pettis will probably continue to get run as he'll be active because of punt returns, but I can't see him back on the roster next year.
wab
Mod

As far as next year goes, I'm thinking the receivers will be:

Mooney
Claypool
ESB
VJJ

Then one of Pettis/Pringle plus a draft pick (4th or later)
MoFugger
Head Coach

Will he be able to return for the playoffs???
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:50 pm Will he be able to return for the playoffs???
In 2024?

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:44 pm If nothing else, hopefully we'll find out what we have in Harry, Pringle, Claypool and VJJr the rest of the year.

I think we already have that answer on EqSB (and I'm not sure we as "fans" have the same conclusion as the coaching staff.

Pettis will probably continue to get run as he'll be active because of punt returns, but I can't see him back on the roster next year.
ESB has a role on an NFL team, but it as a #4WR. I'm fine with him in that role and playing some special teams. I just don't want him to be the guy we are throwing to on 4th down and needing him to make a catch to keep a potential game winning drvie alive.