Mooney Out Rest of Season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Have ESB put on another 20-25 pounds and turn him into a TE. His blocking is pretty damn good.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:46 pm Have ESB put on another 20-25 pounds and turn him into a TE. His blocking is pretty damn good.
I have thought off that in my little Madden universe, but his frame is pretty slight.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:46 pm Have ESB put on another 20-25 pounds and turn him into a TE. His blocking is pretty damn good.
Maybe

But if he does, is he still a good blocker when matching against a LB or SS vs a corner?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:52 pm
I have thought off that in my little Madden universe, but his frame is pretty slight.
Thats what I think - Wasn't his dad like Mr. Olympia?

He is probably maxxed out physically for better or worse
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 am Relative to his production thus far we paid a lot for Claypool.

I'm excited to see what he has to offer as the #1 WR.

That being said, I'm not convinced that either Mooney or Claypool are the #1 WRs that we need. I'm totally fine with having Claypool as a #2 WR and whatever happens with Mooney happens. He's not a $16M / year talent. I know we are nowhere close to either / or discussions with the cap money, but I'd rather take the $16M and put that towards an elite talent on the OL or as part of a salary package for a true elite #1 WR via trade or FA.
If you are just gonna kind of make up wishful thinking stuff - Might as well Aim higher!

In this universe of no rules and no need for reason and judgment - Just sign 22 All Pros and be done with it
RichH55
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:41 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:07 am I follow this, I wouldn’t spend 35M of cap space for two #2 WRs. It really depends on how they see Fields in Y3 and beyond how they approach the position. If they are going to keep running Fields a lot, then no point going for a huge #1 WR as Fields himself is your big playmaker - another playmaking TE might be a better use of cap. If they are going to rein that in and want him more as a pocket passer, then you need a true #1 which we lack. In that case I wouldn’t overspend on two #2’s, I’d spend more total on the two WRs (like 45M), keep Claypool as the #2, let Mooney go, and load up on a #1. In both examples I don’t like spending 35M on two #2 caliber WRs and I haven’t seen anything from either Mooney or Claypool that makes me think either is a #1

Also in the mixing bowl of thoughts, if you want Fields to be more pocket type, you can’t go for the Blue Light Special at your T positions, you need blue chip players there. That’s a premium cost position.

Poles has a lot to consider and I can see a scenario where Mooney walks.
Bears can't afford a FA #1 WR if one was even available as they have too many other needs.

They absolutely COULD - there isn't one out there though for FA
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am choosing to view this in a Michael Corleone positive manner

Mooney will be back 100% for next Season.

This should:
A) Let us lose more games in a lost season that is winding down
B). Lower the cost of his extension
C) Let you get more Reps for Pringle and VJJ (I am worried about VJJ) - and see more of what they are or arent

I have a black heart
malk
Head Coach

That really sucks. Any news on which ligaments, how bad? Really don't want the kid to miss any of the off season.

Makes it a bit more difficult to review the receivers we do have. Much easier to defend when the defence can key in on them all more than you'd expect with your better players on the field. Hopefully someone makes something of the extra opportunities.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 pm I am choosing to view this in a Michael Corleone positive manner

This should:
C) Let you get more Reps for Pringle and VJJ (I am worried about VJJ) - and see more of what they are or arent

I have a black heart
You and me both because this was pretty much how it went down in my head also. I NEVER want a player to get hurt, but if it is going to happen and they will recover 100%, it kinda helps out alot for this offseason....
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:45 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 pm I am choosing to view this in a Michael Corleone positive manner

This should:

I have a black heart
You and me both because this was pretty much how it went down in my head also. I NEVER want a player to get hurt, but if it is going to happen and they will recover 100%, it kinda helps out alot for this offseason....
However, I would not count on him being 100% right away or possibly ever again.
He's a little guy who relies on burst.
Depending on severity, this could easily be career-altering.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:49 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:45 am

I don't want to sound callous, but with his slight frame, I don't think it was ever a question of if Mooney would get hurt...but more when. And from a financial aspect, if it is career altering, it's better that it happened before an extension.

If you look at receivers his size, they all eventually have lower body injuries.

Still...I'm hopeful that he makes a full recovery. Tyler Lockett (who he's most often compared to) had a compound fracture and came back just fine.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:56 am

I don't want to sound callous, but with his slight frame, I don't think it was ever a question of if Mooney would get hurt...but more when. And from a financial aspect, if it is career altering, it's better that it happened before an extension.

If you look at receivers his size, they all eventually have lower body injuries.

Still...I'm hopeful that he makes a full recovery. Tyler Lockett (who he's most often compared to) had a compound fracture and came back just fine.

Great note on Lockett here - Thanks
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:35 am

Based on my hospital experience I tink sometimes fractures can heal easier than torn connective tissue.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Lockett is a good comp. And yes, you hate saying things like that, but if the injury does affect the player he is going forward, we are lucky the injury happened now rather than after the ink dries.
wab
Mod

pus wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:35 am

Based on my hospital experience I tink sometimes fractures can heal easier than torn connective tissue.
Maybe, but Lockett's leg injury was gruesome and was thought to be potentially career ending at the time.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Soft tissue injuries such as Mooney has are often more difficult to heal than even a compound fracture. No word on which ligaments he damaged.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:15 amMakes it a bit more difficult to review the receivers we do have. Much easier to defend when the defence can key in on them all more than you'd expect with your better players on the field. Hopefully someone makes something of the extra opportunities.
Underappreciated point. As evidence, look what happened to Mooney's numbers since ARob left. He wasn't going to be anywhere close to 1000 yards this year.

We have to hope that Claypool, Harry, etc. can use their superior size to get an advantage over they guys covering them. Here's your opportunity fellas! (I'm not too hopeful.)

Rhetorical question... Think of where we'd be had we not signed Claypool. Our #1 is ESB??? OMG.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm glad you said it wab - because it is true that Mooney is a very slight guy. I'd guess he's actually below 170. He's a tough kid but he really gets rag-dolled a lot when he's tackled and it was only a matter of time before he had a serious injury. I hope he comes fully back. But he'll never be a WR1 and I wouldn't want to count on him as WR2 with his small stature. Lockett is similar but I'd guess he was 15 pounds heavier than Darnell. Diontae Johnson is pretty small too but also much bigger than Mooney if you ask me. Devonta Smith is a skinny tough guy too and that is a concern for the Eagles. I'm guessing they are working hard to put meat on his frame but who knows whether it will work. No surprise even though Smith was a high pick they went out and got a "man" to be WR1 in AJ Brown because that's the way it is.

Mooney makes some amazing acrobatic catches. He's a talent for sure. But watching Claypool and Pringle making those really special physical catches on those contested passes on Sunday re-emphasized for me that I want big strong guys as well as fast guys for the Bears' WR1 and WR2 spots. That was them playing AJ Brown out there - and the Bears need that. If Mooney gets healthy and can be re-signed as a 5 target per game WR 3 then I'm good with it because I really like him. But I want JF1 to have targets that are big and strong as well as fast because NFL defenders are fast too and winning often comes down to winning on size & strength.

If it comes down to ESB or Pringle next year I sure hope Poles makes it Pringle for goodness sake - and this past Sunday proved why. The "he's only gotten 7 targets this season therefore he's no good" crowd couldn't see the forest for the trees. That guy is a VERY good WR. With his injuries I'm guessing the Bears can get him to sign for longer for less - and should.

My view of '23 is the Bears right now have a fine WR corps to support Fields:

WR1 - Claypool
WR2A - Mooney
WR2B - Pringle
WR 4-5 - FA/Draft Pick/(or Harry... it is possible they like him but want more time working with him?)
WR6 - Velus or Pettis, with the other one going to the PS. Velus' age didn't bother me because of ostensible maturity & readiness to play. If he isn't clearly ready to be a regular player (e.g. WR 4-5) by the end of next preseason, he's got to be at risk of not making the team.
Last edited by IE on Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
spudbear
MVP

IE - nice list, but still not sure about Harry as others here have mentioned. We'll hopefully get a better idea in the next few games if the coaches give him a chance and he seizes the opportunity. If FA and/draft is a big WR like Harry the K'Neal may k'not be here next season.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears lose WR Darnell Mooney for season

The Bears have long loved Darnell Mooney.

Former coach Matt Nagy called him a “steal” after the Bears drafted the Tulane -receiver in the fifth round in 2020. When new general manager Ryan Poles sat down at the NFL Scouting Combine in March to break down the roster he inherited, he singled out one person.

“The bright spot,” he said, “was Mooney.”

It was Mooney who traveled to Georgia with quarterback Justin Fields to work out during the offseason, and who has become one of his best friends, biggest cheerleaders and most vocal hype men. It was Mooney who didn’t complain publicly when the offense sputtered to start the season — or when, after it surged, the Bears traded for fellow receiver Chase Claypool.

So when the Bears lost Mooney for the season Sunday with a left ankle injury, it was a particularly cruel blow on a day full of them.

“You feel it,” tight end Cole Kmet said Monday. “When you have guys like that who do things the right way consistently and don’t complain about everything — he does what he’s told to do and does it at 100% all of the time. Those are the type of leaders that you want in the locker room, and the type of guy that other guys in the locker room -gravitate towards.”

Mooney will go on injured reserve and miss the rest of the season, coach Matt -Eberflus said. He likely needs ligament surgery, but will discuss the details during an upcoming doctor’s appointment.

“What I told him [Sunday] was just, ‘Hey, just hang in there — things happen,’ ” Eberflus said. “’Still be around. We want you to be around and be in that leadership role and helping the younger players out.’

“He’s a great Bear, for sure.”

Time will tell if the Bears pay him like one. The 25-year-old Mooney is eligible for a contract extension for the first time this offseason. His current deal expires after next year.

He was the 25th wide receiver picked in 2020 but ranks fifth in the class with 182 receptions, sixth with 2,179 receiving yards and seventh with 10 touchdown catches.

The Bears appreciate his run-blocking and his effort. GPS trackers show that Mooney doubles up some teammates in how far he runs during practice.

How much Ryan Poles and the front office values all of the above will be compelling; the Bears have the most salary-cap space in the league this offseason and Mooney is open to a deal.

“He’s been doing a great job,” Eberflus said. “Obviously, it was a slow start for -everybody. Once we got going into the offense, he really started to shine. Outstanding at blocking the perimeter. He had a really nice connection with Justin throughout that stretch.

“He is our leading receiver. But more importantly he is a great teammate. He’s a great leader.”

“He just brings light in the room . . . ” Kmet said. “Whenever you lose a guy like that in the huddle, it’s definitely tough for the team.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... -cole-kmet
IE
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:25 pm IE - nice list, but still not sure about Harry as others here have mentioned. We'll hopefully get a better idea in the next few games if the coaches give him a chance and he seizes the opportunity. If FA and/draft is a big WR like Harry the K'Neal may k'not be here next season.
Agreed. And LOL on the "k'not". I think Poles will definitely keep him around - or intend to. But he won't put all his eggs in one basket. I think he'll keep that WR room full and continuously try to upgrade. So Harry's fate is sort of up to Harry.

I do think that Poles only has 3 clear keepers (meaning "want to keep" at WR next season - Claypool, Mooney and Pringle. And maybe ESB but IMO he's a liability as an actual receiver so if guys like Claypool and Pringle and a couple of new guys (including TE) can block like ESB then ESB's utility drops (if you'll pardon the bad pun).

But it is a little crazy that the entire WR room could turn over. If Claypool plays well for the rest of the season and holds out, and Mooney is injured and Pringle moves on.... they could literally have several new top guys next year.

Then ESB can stay like a seasoned battle sergeant and and teach another new batch of WR soldiers the system.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
spudbear
MVP

I would not like to see the WR room turn over again. It would set back Fields development. The great QB's may not have had a great WR but they would have one or two guys they worked with to the point that they read the defense the same way and KNEW that the ball would be delivered to a specific point for a given play. The QB had confidence his receiver would be there.

We saw a little of that with Siemian last Sunday, but just a little. Fields needs the practice and game time to develop the trust. He was getting that somewhat with Mooney but opposing defenses focused on shutting him down. The last several weeks saw Kmet getting more opportunities as the experience with Fields has started to pay off. Now we have a bunch of guys that are new, have limited time and have been out due to injuries.

An important part will be an improvement in pass protection so that the RB's can go out to the flat as well as Fields having the time to go through his progressions.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas