(OT) Things Detroit does well...

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I am not nor have I ever been a Lions fan, outside of admiring Barry Sanders for being a goddamn magician (and then retiring because he was sick of losing and couldn't get traded anywhere).

But I also strive to be a fair man, so I want to give Detroit credit for things it has done well.

So, in addition to cars, soul music, and gang violence, I want to give Detroit credit for something else.

Detroit style pizza. Done well, it's delicious. It's like a focaccia bread pizza, or close to a true Sicilian style

I'm sure there are other things, but I wanted, in the holiday spirit of fairness, to give the city credit for things it has done well.
Cars
Soul Music
Gang Violence

And Detroit-style Pizza
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
IE
Hall of Famer

BreadNCircuses wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:15 pm I am not nor have I ever been a Lions fan, outside of admiring Barry Sanders for being a goddamn magician (and then retiring because he was sick of losing and couldn't get traded anywhere).

But I also strive to be a fair man, so I want to give Detroit credit for things it has done well.

So, in addition to cars, soul music, and gang violence, I want to give Detroit credit for something else.

Detroit style pizza. Done well, it's delicious. It's like a focaccia bread pizza, or close to a true Sicilian style

I'm sure there are other things, but I wanted, in the holiday spirit of fairness, to give the city credit for things it has done well.
Cars
Soul Music
Gang Violence

And Detroit-style Pizza
From which place?

Detroit rocks. We live about 25 min from downtown and spend a lot of time there. Downtown, Corktown, Midtown - bunch of great areas. Besides pizza it is a great foodie town. Not the variety or volume of a Chicago or NY or LA of course. But it's a cool, innovative scene.

When I first moved here from Chicago if you wend downtown in the D on a weekend it was all closed (or boarded) up - it was super sad. But now 20 years later it is a vibrant place with a lot of rebuilding and gentrifying and a LOT of young people moving back down there. Covid halted it for a few years but it started again and even faster because of changes around remote workforces. There is still quite a bit of grit and sketch in places. But many places that used to be overrun with crime and decay are now super cool, and it is no more dangerous than any other big city. Rustbelt cities like the D, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are now really cool again.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

kind of hilarious, the switch just flipped a few games ago, and this lions team is now a blast to watch.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Detroit pizza looks pretty good, not like that New York crap they brag on. I'm not a chili sauce guy on hot dogs but otherwise Detroit dogs are onions and mustard, no (god forbid) ketchup. Kiss' "Detroit Rock City" song. John Lee Hooker. The great muscle cars of the mid-60s through early '70s. Hank Greenberg, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Mickey Lolich for his '68 World Series, Denny McClain for his season winning 30 games, Barry Sanders, Bobby Layne, Night Train Lane.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Umbali
MVP

lmao add ' beating the shit out of the Queens as a 5-7 team favored to beat a 10-2 team "

Cant help but like that
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

Going to Bears/Lions on New Year's Day. We don't really go out at all on NYE anymore. Just usually go out for dinner early and then home and watch the various specials and such, and sometimes fall asleep before midnight. So it will be easy to get up and enjoy the game, and will feel a lot like Thanksgiving which is a blast in the D.

Man, they have some good WRs now with Jamo Williams in addition to Amon Ra, Chark and Reynolds. I'm still shocked they traded Hock but I guess they have plenty of weapons and can get away with not paying a really good TE top TE money. Swift adds so much to that team - but he's also incredibly unreliable. I'm happy for Goff - always liked him, and Detroit has embraced him (they want to draft defense not a QB). That's cool. It is also cool for Bears fans because even though he's playing well he's no Aaron Rodgers.

If anyone wants to have a fun weekend in the Summer, take a trip to the D! Campus Martius and Eastern Market during the day are awesome. Lots of great restaurants, pubs. breweries and distilleries. If anyone is traveling in for a Bear game PM me as I'll probably be there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:35 pm kind of hilarious, the switch just flipped a few games ago, and this lions team is now a blast to watch.
I'd like to see them sneak into the playoffs and think they are good enough to give anyone a headache

would be sweet if they make the playoffs then go to Dallas and kick the Cowboys asses like they did the Vikings ... a little payback from a few years ago when they got royally screwed by the officials in their playoff loss in Dallas

Umbali wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:26 pm lmao add ' beating the shit out of the Queens as a 5-7 team favored to beat a 10-2 team "

Cant help but like that
I was genuinely puzzled that the Lions were favored, but was very happy how it turned out
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's an extra little bonus on this season that the Vikes are the biggest frauds in the NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:44 pm It's an extra little bonus on this season that the Vikes are the biggest frauds in the NFL.
Absolutely laughing my ass off at this very moment
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I think rooting for the Colts for 30 minutes has given me cancer.
IE
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:24 pm I think rooting for the Colts for 30 minutes has given me cancer.
They are a peak bad Nagy/Trubisky class watch.
docc
Head Coach

Detroit Pizza...?

Isn't that just a stolen pie..?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

add 1 more thing Detroit does well - eliminating the Packers from the playoffs in the last game of the regular season :thumbsup: :toast: :applaud:

docc wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:22 pm Detroit Pizza...?

Isn't that just a stolen pie..?
:rofl:

apparently Detroit pizza is a thing, but a thing I didn't know about ... and after watching a couple of youtube videos on the subject, it seems to be nothing particularly special ... get a baking sheet, some pizza dough and some toppings and you too can be a Detroit pizza aficionado

maybe it is famous by its simplicity?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can add to the list:

-Run the ball.

-Knock GB out of the playoffs.