Top draft prospects - Defensive Tackle

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:44 pm Kancey has a great motor and displays a lot of quickness. You'd like more of those highlights to be against SEC or B1G competition rather than ACC and the Colonial Athletic Association, but he can't control who his team plays, so that is what it is.

I don't know that I see Will Sutton (though I'd also guess Kancey isn't likely to be drafted into one defense then expected to play in an entirely other scheme), but I also don't see Aaron Donald.
I mean Lance Zierlein is hilariously comparing him to John Randle... so YMMV I guess?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:44 pm Kancey has a great motor and displays a lot of quickness. You'd like more of those highlights to be against SEC or B1G competition rather than ACC and the Colonial Athletic Association, but he can't control who his team plays, so that is what it is.

I don't know that I see Will Sutton (though I'd also guess Kancey isn't likely to be drafted into one defense then expected to play in an entirely other scheme), but I also don't see Aaron Donald.
I mean Lance Zierlein is hilariously comparing him to John Randle... so YMMV I guess?
I...don't even know how to respond to that.
Wait, yes, I do.

The biggest issue with Kancey is that you're betting on a huge outlier -- there's no player comp because literally no one else at 6 foot, 280 has made an impact in the NFL at DT in the past 25 years or so. You'd have to go all the way back to someone like Chris Zorich for a comparison. (Now I suspect Kancey moves much better than Zorich, but still.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Watching the D linemen, Zacch Pickens out of SC looks very fluid and if his strength matches the agility, will be finding his stock rise.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
EricTighe
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:40 pm
wab wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm

Wait, yes, I do.

The biggest issue with Kancey is that you're betting on a huge outlier -- there's no player comp because literally no one else at 6 foot, 280 has made an impact in the NFL at DT in the past 25 years or so. You'd have to go all the way back to someone like Chris Zorich for a comparison. (Now I suspect Kancey moves much better than Zorich, but still.)
It's pretty close to Aaron Donald. Not saying he is but the measurables and the athletic ability are damn close.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-donald-b ... 0000329357
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Jalen Redmond and Zacch Pickens had very good combine performances. Redmond is a good pass rusher while Pickens is more well-rounded. He might end up a 1T? But both guys look like Rd 3-4 options if the Bears look at EDGE, Oline, or WR in the first few rounds. Also if they invest in a FA maybe DT falls down the shopping list and these guys make sense as backups
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:47 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:40 pm

Wait, yes, I do.

It's pretty close to Aaron Donald. Not saying he is but the measurables and the athletic ability are damn close.

Again don't do that

Also - not every slow white guy is Tom Brady either

You are welcome
EricTighe
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:10 am
EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:47 pm

Again don't do that

Also - not every slow white guy is Tom Brady either

You are welcome
True but no other DT ever was faster than Aaron Donald. I did mention ever didn't I? It's a comp, not the end-all.

Hell I remember being told comparing Aaron Donald to a future HOF like Sapp was stupid. Again it was a comp based on athletic ability and lack of size.

It is interesting that Sapp held that 40 record before Donald. All three are about the same size, which is undersized for a DT. So compare the kid to Sapp then if it makes you feel better.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

EricTighe
MVP

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm
I hope they are there to meet with Nolan Smith as well. I think this kid is going to be a steal.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Nolan Smith could be the main reason.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:38 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:36 pm

Raw stats, in my opinion, are fool's gold because comparing them without team context doesn't give you a good idea of the player's impact.

Jalen Carter, in his three years at Georgia, has racked up 7.7% of his team's TFLs (which I find a less noisy stat than sacks but still measures impact), while Bresee has 4.9% of Clemson's — basically a little more than half again as many. According to PFF, you're talking about 1043 defensive snaps for Carter versus 912 for Bresee (the majority for both show them lined up in the B gap).

So some of the discrepancy is due to Carter playing more snaps, certainly, but the share of team stats takes that into account too, cos if you're not playing (such as when Bresee is hurt again) you're not producing.

These aren't raw stats they're official stats. Saying a guy could do better with better coaching or in a different system. Now that's fool's gold.
I have basic philosophy for the draft that has been more right than wrong. Stats(college stats) + Physical freak (workout numbers)+ non-stop motor = Stud.
There is an obvious flaw with this in line play if you don’t know what they’re being asked to do. For instance, if a player is asked to hold blocks to free up space for his teammates you might question his pass rush ability and he obviously won’t put up stats.

Jalen Carter is the most talented and physically gifted defensive lineman in this class. And I don’t really hold his pass rush stats against him because he wasn’t asked to penetrate and get after the QB line he would be in this defense. My issue with him is that when he is asked to pass rush he just does moves-he doesn’t have a plan that if they defend this move I’ll counter with this he just appears to go through the moves he knows.

I would not have drafted him at 1 but if he falls to 9… unless there are more criminal issues and assuming he’s not hopeless in interviews, if you could teach him to harness his physical tools and actually think the game…
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:25 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm
I hope they are there to meet with Nolan Smith as well. I think this kid is going to be a steal.
Would you play him at Will?
IotaNet
MVP

I like this kid … a lot.

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
IotaNet
MVP

Double post pls delete
Last edited by IotaNet on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Seconded, or thirded :D

Adetomiwa is a great prospect. Get him in the second :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A breakdown of Adebawore from Bearlissimo.

EricTighe
MVP

He has been on my radar since he was posted as a super freak. I think this kid is a steal waiting to happen. Not sure if he gets by the top 40 in this draft.
wab
Mod

I'm warming up to Adebawore. If the Bears need to drop down to 15-20 to take him, I say do it.
EricTighe
MVP

I was wavering a bit until the Senior Bowl week. After that, I believe he cemented himself in the top 40 players. All these so called experts saying he is moving up after combine weren't paying attention to the Senior Bowl obviously.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am I was wavering a bit until the Senior Bowl week. After that, I believe he cemented himself in the top 40 players. All these so called experts saying he is moving up after combine weren't paying attention to the Senior Bowl obviously.
I thought he looked good

And still thought the Wisconsin kid looked better

Bowling Green kid was good too

Lots of DL in this draft especially if say a team was picking 4 times in the top 65 or so
EricTighe
MVP

AA didn't look to good on day 1 at DE. Then they moved him to DT and told him to quit using his hands as much.

The light went on and he took off like a bat out of hell becoming unblockable inside. He may not be as long as as some of the others. But then again no one is as fast, quick, agile and only a few are stronger. This kid has the work ethic, the smarts (Hell he went to Northwestern), the non-stop motor and maybe the biggest surprise is how fast he took to the coaches at the senior bowl and applied what they were teaching.

I am haveing a hard time believing this kid won't be a superstar. In 5 years I believe AA and Dewuan Jones are the two guys everyone is going to say why in the hell did they last so long.
Hoog
Player of the Month

As is usually the case, my list will look much different than most. For starters, I really don't see a DT of any kind that I would take above, say, pick #28 in this draft. So really concentrating on second round and after for DL.

I have 13 players at the 3T that I would love to see us draft and only 5 players at the 1T that I would draft. I'll start with my 4 underrated guys and then do the overall ratings.

Colby Wooden, Auburn- played this year between 280-290 but came to combine in the 270's. He played the majority of his snaps inside but also played over the tackle. He is a heavy, violent, active player that is all effort. Love this kid

Kobie Turner, WF- Another very active, heavy handed player who played mostly inside. Dude can apply the pressure. Has quick feet and liwer body strength. Very solid 3T prospect.

Jonah Tavai, SDSU- He played all over the line and applied pressue. He had 40 hurries, 11 hits, and 10+ Sacks the last 2 years. He is a short bowling ball that just ends up in the backfield.

Devonnsha Maxwell, Tenn-Chatt- a bigger guy at 6'3" and over 300 that just keeps coming. He puts lots of pressure on the QB. He has at least 20 hurries and 9 sacks for the last 2 years. Very strong and good first step.

3T Rankings
1. Adetomiwa Adebawore, NW
2. Calijah Kancey, Pitt
3. Colby Wooden, Auburn
4. Zaach Pickens, SC
5. Kobie Turner, WF
6. Keeanu Benton, Wisc
7. Karl Brooks, BGSU
8. Dante Stills, WVU
9. Gervon Dexter, Florida
10. Jaquelin Roy, LSU
11. Byron Young, Alabama
12. Jonah Tavai, SDSU
13. Devonnsha Maxwell, Tenn-Chatt

1T Rankings
1. Mazi Smith, UM
2. Siaki Ika, Baylor
3. Keondre Coburn, Texas
4. Jerrod Clark, Coastal Carolina
5. Brodric Martin, WKU
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 am As is usually the case, my list will look much different than most. For starters, I really don't see a DT of any kind that I would take above, say, pick #28 in this draft. So really concentrating on second round and after for DL.

I have 13 players at the 3T that I would love to see us draft and only 5 players at the 1T that I would draft. I'll start with my 4 underrated guys and then do the overall ratings.

Colby Wooden, Auburn- played this year between 280-290 but came to combine in the 270's. He played the majority of his snaps inside but also played over the tackle. He is a heavy, violent, active player that is all effort. Love this kid

Kobie Turner, WF- Another very active, heavy handed player who played mostly inside. Dude can apply the pressure. Has quick feet and liwer body strength. Very solid 3T prospect.

Jonah Tavai, SDSU- He played all over the line and applied pressue. He had 40 hurries, 11 hits, and 10+ Sacks the last 2 years. He is a short bowling ball that just ends up in the backfield.

Devonnsha Maxwell, Tenn-Chatt- a bigger guy at 6'3" and over 300 that just keeps coming. He puts lots of pressure on the QB. He has at least 20 hurries and 9 sacks for the last 2 years. Very strong and good first step.

3T Rankings
2. Calijah Kancey, Pitt
3. Colby Wooden, Auburn
4. Zaach Pickens, SC
5. Kobie Turner, WF
6. Keeanu Benton, Wisc
7. Karl Brooks, BGSU
8. Dante Stills, WVU
10. Jaquelin Roy, LSU
11. Byron Young, Alabama
12. Jonah Tavai, SDSU

1T Rankings
1. Mazi Smith, UM
2. Siaki Ika, Baylor
3. Keondre Coburn, Texas
5. Brodric Martin, WKU
I'm with you on many of these 3T prospects. (Not high at all on Dexter or Roy, and I don't think Kancey would be considered by this team before Day 3.) Maxwell is one of My Guys.

Agree with several of your 1T prospects too. (Not high on Ika
— especially for a 4-3 team — or Coburn.) Biggest question I have on Mazi is how much he enjoys the game. But 1) that's tough to know and 2) that feels like picking nits.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hoog
Player of the Month

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:26 am
Hoog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:51 am As is usually the case, my list will look much different than most. For starters, I really don't see a DT of any kind that I would take above, say, pick #28 in this draft. So really concentrating on second round and after for DL.

3T Rankings
2. Calijah Kancey, Pitt
3. Colby Wooden, Auburn
4. Zaach Pickens, SC
5. Kobie Turner, WF
6. Keeanu Benton, Wisc
7. Karl Brooks, BGSU
8. Dante Stills, WVU
10. Jaquelin Roy, LSU
11. Byron Young, Alabama
12. Jonah Tavai, SDSU

1T Rankings
1. Mazi Smith, UM
2. Siaki Ika, Baylor
3. Keondre Coburn, Texas
5. Brodric Martin, WKU
I'm with you on many of these 3T prospects. (Not high at all on Dexter or Roy, and I don't think Kancey would be considered by this team before Day 3.) Maxwell is one of My Guys.

Agree with several of your 1T prospects too. (Not high on Ika
— especially for a 4-3 team — or Coburn.) Biggest question I have on Mazi is how much he enjoys the game. But 1) that's tough to know and 2) that feels like picking nits.
I guess AA would be my preference as our pick but Wooden, Pickens, Turner would be nice as well. Dexter and Roy are much higher on most lists, so I'm with you on them being down the list. Being a UM fan, Mazi is kind of one of those athletes and persons who just stay level keel all the time. Not much excitement there but solid production. Coburn kind of gives you a bit of both with run/pass effort but if we draft him we need him to sell more on the run. I like him alot for our defense.
karhu
Head Coach

Any thoughts about Moro Ojomo? His game doesn't translate all that clearly, directly, and completely to a specific NFL role, but he's awfully impressive on his own terms. I like him as a disruptive 1T, especially if his weight is on the higher end of what I've seen reported (everything from 280 to 292), or as a more-powerful-than-quick 3T. In any case, the guy's a 22-year-old fifth-year senior, so he might still be able to add some significant strength along with a few more good pounds.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Hoog
Player of the Month

karhu wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm Any thoughts about Moro Ojomo? His game doesn't translate all that clearly, directly, and completely to a specific NFL role, but he's awfully impressive on his own terms. I like him as a disruptive 1T, especially if his weight is on the higher end of what I've seen reported (everything from 280 to 292), or as a more-powerful-than-quick 3T. In any case, the guy's a 22-year-old fifth-year senior, so he might still be able to add some significant strength along with a few more good pounds.
I love Ojomo's build, his long arms, and huge hands but I don't know if it's because Texas played him there or he wants to be there but he is usually over the tackle or outside the tackle when I have watched. Also, doesn't seem to me to be a grinder and gives up quickly. It may be just me but, thats how I view him and why he's not on my list. For what its worth.
karhu
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:40 pm
karhu wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm Any thoughts about Moro Ojomo? His game doesn't translate all that clearly, directly, and completely to a specific NFL role, but he's awfully impressive on his own terms. I like him as a disruptive 1T, especially if his weight is on the higher end of what I've seen reported (everything from 280 to 292), or as a more-powerful-than-quick 3T. In any case, the guy's a 22-year-old fifth-year senior, so he might still be able to add some significant strength along with a few more good pounds.
I love Ojomo's build, his long arms, and huge hands but I don't know if it's because Texas played him there or he wants to be there but he is usually over the tackle or outside the tackle when I have watched. Also, doesn't seem to me to be a grinder and gives up quickly. It may be just me but, thats how I view him and why he's not on my list. For what its worth.
I dunno. We might've watched different games, but I just re-watched him against Alabama, and he looked like a guy we can use. No speed whatsoever, which makes him a feast-or-famine proposition at 5T (and beyond!), but he still got some pressure in that role. He's just not going to run anyone down in pursuit, and yeah, he plays like he knows it. As a 3-tech, or lined up right over the guard, he was nails. It's a weird DT class in some respects, but Ojomo's rising a lot higher on my list than I expected him to specifically because from what I've seen he consistently makes a significant difference whether he's single- or double-teamed. He's not everything I'd want in a complement to a good 3T, but he's got enough going for him IMSO to be a guy who makes other teams pick their poison. I think that's what we're after in the broader scheme of things.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

karhu
Head Coach

One other thing about Ojomo: he's the leader of that line, and frequently helps his guys get set. And for all that's been said about his lack of athleticism, he takes really smart angles and has the same knack for reading plays that lets Jack Sanborn play so much quicker and faster than his running-around-in-shorts numbers would suggest. There are plays where he looks almost like Calijah Kancey, but with the crucial difference that Kancey can decide to put a move on a guard before the snap and get away with it, while Ojomo's just reading the play the nanosecond it begins.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy with him at 103. Maybe higher.